users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Clothcraft » Cashmere Wool
Cashmere Wool
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-09-05 09:39:06  
By all accounts this recipe is level 92 Cloth:

Lightning Crystal: 2 Cashmere Wool ==> 1 Cashmere Cloth.

Until yesterday, I had never tried the recipe.
I broke my first two attempts, with Clothcraft skill 100 (base) + 2 (glasses/apron) + whatever skill I have from Mega-Moglification (supposedly +3 or +4).

Based on anything and everything I've ever read/seen about break rates, it's ~5% rate when you're at/over the recipe cap level on a single-craft recipe. So, the chances of 2/2 breaks are not implausible ... but highly unlikely. I realize crafting is random, etc, etc. ...

Still, I have to ask, has anyone else had unusually crappy results from this recipe? Is there some freakish penalty on break rate for this recipe that I'm unaware of? I know it uses a lightning crystal, but it's not technically a desynthesis, as far as I know. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks in advance for any info.
 Fenrir.Enternius
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Enternius
By Fenrir.Enternius 2011-09-05 09:54:23  
I can't really help with this particular recipe, never done Clothcraft, but it is possible you just got that 5% break rate twice in a row. Try eating Kitron Macarons to lower the minimum break rate.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-09-05 10:52:19  
Fenrir.Enternius said: »
I can't really help with this particular recipe, never done Clothcraft, but it is possible you just got that 5% break rate twice in a row. Try eating Kitron Macarons to lower the minimum break rate.

Thanks!
Great idea.
I didn't even know this food item even existed ...
 Bismarck.Punchus
user: Punchus
By Bismarck.Punchus 2011-09-05 10:59:58  
Also may want to start watching what day of the week you're crafting on now that you're going for results and not skill.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2011-09-05 11:06:30  
I remember waiting outside a maw and attacking a bunny on my 90war, first attack double attacked and missed. Second attack missed. Third finally got it.

Moral of the story, 5%, however small, does happen :(
[+]
 Valefor.Mithano
サーバ: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2011-09-05 11:10:34  
You just got unlucky.

Don't forget the ring too, that will also help (1% I think?)
By Nevill 2011-09-05 11:23:13  
Also, I experience a much higher break rate on desynthesis (Bonecraft 100) Being a lightning crystal, I would say break rate is much higher than 5%.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Punchus
user: Punchus
By Bismarck.Punchus 2011-09-05 11:33:14  
Even though this recipe is a lightning crystal it's not a desynth.
By Nevill 2011-09-05 11:41:43  
Bismarck.Punchus said: »
Even though this recipe is a lightning crystal it's not a desynth.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that. Thanks for the information.
 Valefor.Mithano
サーバ: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2011-09-05 11:59:39  
Yeah I'll confirm that, not a desynth. They're a number of ones like that.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-09-05 17:28:26  
Thanks everyone for the help and feedback.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2011-09-06 08:36:24  
I had made 3 for a BST that duo's vrtra. I stated that I'm not responsible for breakages as a cloth is 3M a peice. I get freaked out with using thunder crystals too even though its not a desynth.
By Vudoku 2011-09-06 08:48:11  
Ive done 60+ cashmere (thread?) from wool, Tailor's ring is pretty much essential. Also as stated above Dark or lightning day is recommended (avoid earth, wind and water... but ESPECIALLY lights day!).
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [143 days between previous and next post]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2012-01-27 10:53:49  
day doesn't matter, weather doesn't matter, moon doesn't matter.

You got screwed by a Random Number Generator, that's all. Trust me, I've blown up my share of expensive ***back in the day, as well as recently. I know it hurts to blow up that cashmere (I still remember my first cashmere synth, I almost did it just to make a point to say "I worked with cashmere!") but it happens. Frustrating this is that you coulda blown up a karakul thread just as likely as the cashmere.

Get the ring though. That DOES matter. Even if only 1%, man does it feel better to put it on.

*edit- holy necrobump on my part!
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-01-27 11:23:54  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
day doesn't matter, weather doesn't matter, moon doesn't matter. You got screwed by a Random Number Generator, that's all. Trust me, I've blown up my share of expensive ***back in the day, as well as recently. I know it hurts to blow up that cashmere (I still remember my first cashmere synth, I almost did it just to make a point to say "I worked with cashmere!") but it happens. Frustrating this is that you coulda blown up a karakul thread just as likely as the cashmere. Get the ring though. That DOES matter. Even if only 1%, man does it feel better to put it on. *edit- holy necrobump on my part!

I was trying to synth something signed for my roomate. I had 4 critical breaks in a row on a synth 50+ below my level...... It's completely random.

*edit* Upon seeing author I have come to the conclusion that it was karma.