users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Elemental trial katanas
Elemental trial katanas
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-27 14:20:08  
weather paths are somewhat of a joke now (certain ones anyways) since weather now gives 5 kill credits as opposed to 1 from the beginning of ToTM. You can get up to 6 kill credits per kill (weather + matching day of the week). Ice path was MAD easy, as was wind for katana
 Leviathan.Draugo
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-06-27 17:26:22  
The MAB path was ridiculously easy, took me about 8 game hours total.
 Shiva.Msthief
サーバ: Shiva
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-27 18:00:17  
I babbled a little too much so I'm putting it into a spoiler. Evasion katana, there is absolutely no contest.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-06-27 18:05:22  
Shiva.Msthief said:

I'm no nin. How does less str and atk = more dot. Same dmg weapons i'm assuming
 Siren.Kunimatsu
サーバ: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-06-27 18:13:58  
Quetzalcoatl.Dova said:
Shiva.Msthief said:

I'm no nin. How does less str and atk = more dot. Same dmg weapons i'm assuming

He means if you're evading more, you aren't casting shadows as often, allowing you to keep smacking at the mob.

This of course only applies to mobs that actually have a decent hitrate on you in the first place, a STR sekka would win against mobs you have capped EVA on without the eva sekka.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-27 18:18:50  
Less time spent casting shadows = more time spent DDing.

As I've said elsewhere, evasion is only good to a point. That point isn't necessarily capped evade rate, particularly if the mob uses AoE TP moves or spells. ***is situational and should be treated as such, neither katana is universally superior to the other.
 Phoenix.Tagus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: tagus
By Phoenix.Tagus 2011-06-27 18:21:58  
Use this site if you're doing weather trials:

http://ff11info.com/bazaar/en/weather.php

I'm working on the evasion one right now, and I sat all day yesterday waiting for wind weather. At least with that site you can plan your life around it a bit.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-06-27 18:27:02  
Fire path is balls anyways.
 Shiva.Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-27 21:33:21  
If you're fighting something where your eva is near cap, wouldn't kamome win hands down in abyssea? I just don't see a real use for the str/atk katana in any situation.

Yeah these katanas are situational, it's not like anyone is going to fulltime a MDB katana - but since you're usually the one holding hate I find an eva katana to be useful in more situations than any other.
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-06-27 23:54:16  
I would say that Eva katana is the most useful of the ToTM elemental katanas.

I really cannot place another one in second place. But I would say 2x Eva katanas is over kill.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2011-06-27 23:57:51  
x2 evade katana is pretty boss for soloing on nin/dnc
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-28 00:06:09  
Shiva.Msthief said:
If you're fighting something where your eva is near cap, wouldn't kamome win hands down in abyssea? I just don't see a real use for the str/atk katana in any situation.

Yeah these katanas are situational, it's not like anyone is going to fulltime a MDB katana - but since you're usually the one holding hate I find an eva katana to be useful in more situations than any other.
Well, I assumed it was a question about mainhand katanas and that Kannagi wasn't involved. If he's asking about offhands that's a whole other issue since the comparison should obviously include Kamome/situationally Oirandori.
 Shiva.Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-28 00:29:49  
I'll admit my bias towards kannagi is around because I haven't thought about ninja without it... ever really (I didn't care about having the best gear until after I got it).

With that said, wouldn't any sekka+2 + kamome beat any sekka+2 x2 combination?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyler
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Kyler
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyler 2011-06-28 05:03:03  
I haven't really found any situation where I did sekkax2. Even before I had kannagi I usually did WS DMG+10% uzura/kamome. If I needed evasion, eva sekka/kamome

As for mab Katanas on Nin I only bothered making one because well..

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/19272/yagentoshiro

While brewed it should be better than 2x sekka No? In most situations it seems to do better with flat 10% increase usually using MM Ultimate and beyond with /RDM

Great for low manning creamed corn (cerein croin?(sp) ), back tanking things like sisyphus and just a lot of fun in general. Done some 5k non brewed hyoton San to NMs on burst
By Ska681 2011-07-12 00:45:31  
Quetzalcoatl.Kyler said:
I haven't really found any situation where I did sekkax2. Even before I had kannagi I usually did WS DMG+10% uzura/kamome. If I needed evasion, eva sekka/kamome

As for mab Katanas on Nin I only bothered making one because well..

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/19272/yagentoshiro

While brewed it should be better than 2x sekka No? In most situations it seems to do better with flat 10% increase usually using MM Ultimate and beyond with /RDM

Great for low manning creamed corn (cerein croin?(sp) ), back tanking things like sisyphus and just a lot of fun in general. Done some 5k non brewed hyoton San to NMs on burst
Far as the yagentoshiro goes I would still say that would fail only cause of the low damage rate it has while the tom Mab weapons still have a decent rating to keep your dot up
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [102 days between previous and next post]
 Unicorn.Celestius
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Celestius 2011-10-21 14:24:19  
Sekka evasion: or magic evasion? One of each?
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-10-21 14:25:57  
Magic evasion equates to +element on all your resists. So you'd get +20 fire/wind/water/ice/earth/lightning/dark/light. It'd only feasible in a resist build, not on their own.
 Unicorn.Celestius
サーバ: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Celestius 2011-10-21 14:58:17  
but evasion isnt resist, and elemental resists arent just about magic,sooo....
how useful is magic evasion such as magic attacks that peel or ignore shadows? or is just straight evasion almost the same thing?and if so, why have two different categories? Is it worth the effort to build the difference, i guess is my question.
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-10-21 15:00:37  
i think if you want a katana for that you should make a MDB one
Unicorn.Celestius said: »
Sekka evasion: or magic evasion? One of each?
and this is completely situational
 Fenrir.Leoheart
user: Leoheart
By Fenrir.Leoheart 2011-10-21 15:13:01  
narigitsune

yeah/no?

Edit: so I dunno how to link ffxiah pictures of gear c.c

[Mod edit: ftfy]
 Cerberus.Wojo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Wojo
By Cerberus.Wojo 2011-10-21 15:13:09  
MDB vs Magic evasion is probably as useful as PDT vs Evasion katanas
 Fenrir.Skadoosh
By Fenrir.Skadoosh 2011-10-21 15:22:28  
also unless you are soloing you can cap -MDT easy enough that you shouldnt have to sacrifice a weapon
[+]
 Leviathan.Draugo
By Leviathan.Draugo 2011-10-31 16:17:38  
Would the magic evasion katana be best for breath type attacks? Breath damage seems to be a category all on it's own and I know people used to build super heavy elemental resist sets to mitigate them.

D.ring would mitigate a breath damage by a certain percent, where as 6%M/6%P dark ring would not correct?

I guess you could try and get all 3 on a dark ring @ 6%. Which would make it a "true" 6%DT ring similar to D.ring?

Are there any other categories of damage I am not aware of?
By KothoftheHammer 2011-10-31 16:20:00  
I have 2 MATK and 1 EVA katana
Matk get equiped more often lol