users online
フォーラム » FFXI » NMs » Horns of War - Behemoth KS99
Horns of War - Behemoth KS99
 Shiva.Msthief
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-22 01:37:58  
I'm working on my blackbelt and I've turned my eyes towards the behemoth tongue. I just got my wyrm beard 3-manning that KSNM and I'm hoping that there's a similarly easy way to get through this one.

I've seen a lot of information about the turtle, wyrm is fairly straight forward, but I'm afraid that even at 90 meteor can still one shot everyone within range. Any input on this, whatsoever, would be greatly appreciated - preferably at 85-90.
 Lakshmi.Zantok
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Zantok 2011-06-22 01:40:41  
Can easily do it with a good RDM to Bind/Gravity and a couple BLMs.
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2011-06-22 01:44:01  
I did this as SAM WHM (dual boxed) and a RDM. I had a good MDT set for meteor, paralyze can sometimes proc and cancel it, or your attacks/ws's can stop the casting too. Meteor really isnt that strong with a good MDT set.

I also did this with myself on MNK instead of SAM. Same thing, MDT set plays a huge roll, as does Shell V of course.
[+]
 Shiva.Msthief
user: Msthief
By Shiva.Msthief 2011-06-22 01:51:49  
So you can't stun it, with anything? I did absolutely no kings back in the day, so sorry if this is a stupid question. My only experience with behemoths is Dhorme and Apademak who are stunnable.

Was the RDM strictly support - or did you play some kiting strategy? Also, won't the whm get hit with meteor or can you position yourself so that you don't get hit with it?

*Currently I'm thinking a Nin/dnc can "solo" it then have the whm only come in range to recover from meteor. Any problems with this?
 Lakshmi.Zantok
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Zantok 2011-06-22 01:56:40  
The KS99 version has a habit of using Stun+Meteor, highly doubt that would work. He also has a habit of casting Meteor every 45 seconds or so.. highly suggest RDM support/kite and a couple BLMs to nuke.
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2011-06-22 01:57:14  
The RDM was there strictly for debuffs, and refresh II. I would also self skill chain and have them MB for some extra damage. As for meteor hitting, its actually rather weak, and yes, you can run your mage out of range as long as you keep them at max casting distance of 20, and angle the mob to its side as to prevent cone damage.

When I was doing it, I would just leave my WHM mule in range of meteor, and when it would cast it, I would simply self cure, and cure my main to drop down some of the damage. The RDM I was with, would also take the hits sometimes, or would run away depending on MP. It's a fairly straight up fight imo.
 Carbuncle.Burne
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Burne
By Carbuncle.Burne 2011-06-22 01:59:20  
Just put everyone you have to help you on BLM/RDM. I would say min. 3 people to play it safe.

With Gravity always on you can kite this forever.
Kite nuke method and there's not really much else to it. Even if you take Meteor it won't kill you that easily.

Make sure you have at least 1 person with RR tho. Right before it dies it does a stronger instant cast Meteor that can (and most likely will) kill all blm's in range. It dies right after doing it but you still need someone with RR to run in and open the chest ;)

Good luck with your farming!
 Quetzalcoatl.Sirtwitchalot
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Sirtwitchalot 2011-06-22 02:10:19  
Easy Fight MNK + WHM duo takes roughly 5-8 mins depending on how good the MNK is. Meteor only does 400-600 damage with capped shell 5 and a good MDT set. WHM stays out of range, only coming in for a quick cure or to reapply paralyze. As far as melee damage he rarely lands a hit, mostly countered to him to death. You generally only take damage from meteor and tp moves. As far as the final suicide meteor, can easily do 1500-2k+ damage, but if you made it that far, the fights over anyways and hope you have Reraise to pop the chest. Always funny to survive the suicide Meteor and watch as you wail away at the dead corpse til it depops.

GL with the farming though,im sure it sucks. Glad I got my Black Belt many years ago cause this new system looks ten times worse then camping turtle back in the day.
[+]
 Leviathan.Pewpewz
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Enygma3
By Leviathan.Pewpewz 2011-06-22 02:49:30  
2 blms can easily duo this, 1 blm can solo it but i wouldn't recommend it unless you know what your doing, bind will always land
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [41 days between previous and next post]
 Sylph.Lorax
サーバ: Sylph
user: Lorax
By Sylph.Lorax 2011-08-02 07:27:16  
I just stumbled upon this post and thought I'd share. I recently duo'd this a few times with a rdm friend of mine. Drk/sam + Rdm/whm.
Easy fight, but I have an apocalypse so heals were a little easier on the rdm.

Video proof!
[+]
 Shiva.Johneblaze
By Shiva.Johneblaze 2011-08-02 13:21:30  
Lakshmi.Zantok said:
Can easily do it with a good RDM to Bind/Gravity and a couple BLMs.
you avatar is lvl 99 creeper
 Bismarck.Altar
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2011-08-02 13:37:24  
Shiva.Msthief said:
My only experience with behemoths is Dhorme and Apademak who are stunnable.

Surprised nobody corrected him on this.
By diddsey 2011-08-02 13:57:23  
i see your bst is 34 but i'll say it anyway.soloable by bst with enough mulsum .if u have 2 or 3 bst friends this thing is a joke.just stay out of meteors huge range.
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-08-02 14:03:57  
Bismarck.Altar said:
Shiva.Msthief said:
My only experience with behemoths is Dhorme and Apademak who are stunnable.

Surprised nobody corrected him on this.

lol
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-08-02 14:05:31  
diddsey said:
i see your bst is 34 but i'll say it anyway.soloable by bst with enough mulsum .if u have 2 or 3 bst friends this thing is a joke.just stay out of meteors huge range.

doesn't mulsim medicate you?
 Sylph.Venlo
サーバ: Sylph
user: Venlo
By Sylph.Venlo 2011-08-02 14:08:08  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
diddsey said:

doesn't mulsim medicate you?

No, it's a fast use with nearly no cooldown, and has no medication effect.
Which made it the perfect medicine for soloing the level 20 avatar fights back in the day.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-08-02 14:16:19  
Did you just say that bottle of dawn mulsum has existed since forever?
mindblown.jpg

Also, holy ***at that DRK + RDM duo.
 Bahamut.Zangada
サーバ: Bahamut
user: zangada
By Bahamut.Zangada 2011-08-02 14:16:49  
Ive duoed it bst and cor, cor just used pet rolls. Never lost but if u have a healer its alot easier cause u can run in for sic and the cor can ws without worring about meteor.