Gilgamesh.Hunewearl said:
Bismarck.Raistlinratt said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bismarck.Hsieh said:
Leviathan.Quetzacoatl said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
So WTF, did non-crit jobs get shafted again?

lulz will be had.
Why the f#*% would they do this >_> It's not like Crits weren't already too powerful
Yeah, I don't understand either.

You guyes act like SAM and DRK etc cant crit at all.
It's a buff to all melees(+ranged), it just makes some job able to spike even higher >_>

So yes, it's a bigger buff for some jobs, but it is in fact a buff to all dds.
As long as it's not a 1:1 boost, as it wasn't even a 1:1 situation to begin with, there is a reason to QQ even if it's useless and in the end doesn't help anything.

With people playing every single job nowadays, everyone is winning.

Since when does everyone play every single job? Mnk, Thf, Nin, War, Whm, Blm, Brd, Blu. there are no other jobs! lol. I rarely if ever play anything other than mnk or nin.

If my goal is to DD, i don't see why I would get on a job that can't do as much damage as say nin, mnk, thf, or war. Outside of abyssea might be different (seems like new content is new abyssea...). Why take a dragoon to something and have him do 50k damage when you could take a thief and do just as much (if not more) and get TH11. Its utility, usefulness that decides what jobs we go nowadays.
I just meant that nowadays everyone has at least 1 job that is "useful".

As for your job thing well, I personally still use the good old "things are situational", even in Abyssea. With a narrowminded view like this you can't understand other people's point of view.

Then comparing a DRG to a THF where TH is relevant and assuming it's either DRG or THF, seriously, lol.
Let's compare a fully decked Masamune SAM with a naked Kannagi NIN, I'll obviously pick the NIN, I mean come on, it's a NIN, he's forced to beat the SAM in pure damage even in this situation.
I find it sad that in a GAME we are supposed to be playing for enjoyment, that people can't play the jobs they ENJOY playing :<
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-12 08:58:13  
Play all jobs, enjoy the game 1000%!
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-05-12 09:00:25  
Odin.Sheelay said:
I knew I could count on you!! Saturday, crowns at the ready!! I got a new shiney subligar!
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-12 09:01:24  
Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
I knew I could count on you!! Saturday, crowns at the ready!! I got a new shiney subligar!

FTW
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-05-12 09:02:43  
That being said melee whm ftw.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-12 09:16:43  
That being said melee whm ftw.

PRAAAISE THE LOOORD-AH!!!!

Time to head to work, bbl 30min-ish~
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2011-05-12 09:27:46  
Odin.Sheelay said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
dDEX cap hasn't been removed :(
So the only way to effectively breach the current crit rate would be through Atmas and spceific gear? Maybe I'm just too tired to recall things correctly... sleepless night -.-
There never has been a cap on Crit rate. You could already reach 95%+ and Kirschy showed it.
The only cap was on the amount of Crit Rate you get from DEX (your dex-target's AGI or whatever it is, I Can't remember), i.e. dDEX.
That amount was capped.
Since people are reporting a much higher crit hit rate with the same gear/atma setup, it's pretty obvious to me that they have increased the dDEX cap, no?
I'm just speculating on other people's report, haven't tested anything myself of course.

There was a cap on Crit Damage + instead, and that was at 50% but it's now at 100%. (and I still cannot imagine why they had to do this, in all honesty, makes no sense at all to me)
 Bismarck.Luces
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Luces 2011-05-12 09:50:03  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bismarck.Hsieh said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

lulz will be had.
Why the f#*% would they do this >_> It's not like Crits weren't already too powerful

It's a buff to all melees(+ranged), it just makes some job able to spike even higher >_>
Stopped reading right there, anything more is void because it's not getting any DD other than WAR MNK THF NIN BLU parties in Abyssea.

This ninja-buff (no pun intended) is starting to get progressively annoying :\

Was in the update notes so I wouldn't call it a "ninja" buff. Also Drg, Pld, Smn(avatar BP), Whm, Rdm(evis/vrplblade), Pup, ddBard, Dnc, and Rng all have WS's that benefit from this cap increase, so you left some out. Outside very few jobs are even able to reach 50% critical hit damage boost.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 10:15:53  
Asura.Sechs said:
The removal of the dDex cap and the 100% crit dam cap are changing a lot of things... not for Kannagi ninjas maybe, but for those lolninjas who still make use of Jin, there might be different gear and atma combinations right now.

Any NIN who doesn't have Kannagi is a lolninja now?

themoreyouknow.jpg
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-12 10:24:59  
Asura.Sechs said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
There never has been a cap on Crit rate. You could already reach 95%+ and Kirschy showed it.
The only cap was on the amount of Crit Rate you get from DEX (your dex-target's AGI or whatever it is, I Can't remember), i.e. dDEX.
That amount was capped.
Since people are reporting a much higher crit hit rate with the same gear/atma setup, it's pretty obvious to me that they have increased the dDEX cap, no?
I'm just speculating on other people's report, haven't tested anything myself of course.

There was a cap on Crit Damage + instead, and that was at 50% but it's now at 100%. (and I still cannot imagine why they had to do this, in all honesty, makes no sense at all to me)

The reason can be found in the Dark Knight forum, under the Q_Q thread.

Jokes aside, I'm aware the crit rate was already at 95%.
What I was referring to, which you also mentioned, was the fact that if they haven't raised the cap on dDEX (like Raen was claiming) which, if I understood correctly, determines the crit rate you can achieve with your DEX VS a mob's AGI, then there would be no point in stacking DEX any further. The part I underlined is what I wasn't sure about because I never looked at dDEX in depth.

However, stats such as Crit damage which used to cap at 50%, can now be buffed further up, meaning some changes are at hand especially in Abyssea where we get loads of Crit Dmg+ with Atmas.

If I was on game right now I'd be very inclined to test out a RR/SS/Apoc build on my WAR.
 Leviathan.Quetzacoatl
Guide Maker
By Leviathan.Quetzacoatl 2011-05-12 10:39:09  
Bismarck.Raistlinratt said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bismarck.Hsieh said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

lulz will be had.

So yes, it's a bigger buff for some jobs, but it is in fact a buff to all dds.
As long as it's not a 1:1 boost, as it wasn't even a 1:1 situation to begin with, there is a reason to QQ even if it's useless and in the end doesn't help anything.

With people playing every single job nowadays, everyone is winning.

Since when does everyone play every single job? Mnk, Thf, Nin, War, Whm, Blm, Brd, Blu. there are no other jobs! lol. I rarely if ever play anything other than mnk or nin.

If my goal is to DD, i don't see why I would get on a job that can't do as much damage as say nin, mnk, thf, or war. Outside of abyssea might be different (seems like new content is new abyssea...). Why take a dragoon to something and have him do 50k damage when you could take a thief and do just as much (if not more) and get TH11. Its utility, usefulness that decides what jobs we go nowadays.
I just meant that nowadays everyone has at least 1 job that is "useful".

As for your job thing well, I personally still use the good old "things are situational", even in Abyssea. With a narrowminded view like this you can't understand other people's point of view.

Then comparing a DRG to a THF where TH is relevant and assuming it's either DRG or THF, seriously, lol.
Let's compare a fully decked Masamune SAM with a naked Kannagi NIN, I'll obviously pick the NIN, I mean come on, it's a NIN, he's forced to beat the SAM in pure damage even in this situation.
I find it sad that in a GAME we are supposed to be playing for enjoyment, that people can't play the jobs they ENJOY playing :<
Damn right!! I enjoy every job I play, despite how hard it can be to bring one certain outcast up to Par.

Bismarck.Luces said:
Was in the update notes so I wouldn't call it a "ninja" buff. Also Drg, Pld, Smn(avatar BP), Whm, Rdm(evis/vrplblade), Pup, ddBard, Dnc, and Rng all have WS's that benefit from this cap increase, so you left some out. Outside very few jobs are even able to reach 50% critical hit damage boost.
Okay well for some reason I didn't see them in the update notes at first, but later on I did, so nip the ninja-buff thing in the bud.

I just wanna know how DRK, SAM and BST fit into this equation.
 Cerberus.Wojo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Wojo
By Cerberus.Wojo 2011-05-12 10:39:30  
Played with some SS VV Apoc more this week, and its pretty fun. Love those 200-300 damage regular swings. Get a triple or double attack proc in there and you're enemy just drops....

You can now chose between:

8% crit rate on your body / back or -
8% crit damage on your body / back

20% crit rate on GH or
20% (estimate) crit damage on SS.

Personally I have enjoyed the HP+ on Sanguine Scythe and I can still hit Crit cap with Innin (if someone can just please pull hate off me) :D

I have seen better damage on JIN Overall using VV RR Apoc though. The big numbers are when you can get a double/triple attack proc on your first hit of Jin. Its extremely rare to see 3800+ Jins using crit rate / crit damage + atmas alone. I think the new update and raised crit cap just gave us more options on atmas. I do not have Blade: Hi yet though...so i cannot speak to Atmas/Gear that would be good for that ws.
 Leviathan.Alas
user: alas
By Leviathan.Alas 2011-05-12 10:45:34  
Did a quick check in Abyssea last night against Dolls in Altepa with SS/RR/AoA and crits were in the 700-800 range with 85 Ukon. Double damage crit procs were up around 1500-1600 ofc. Didn't notice a particular increase in Ukko's Fury damage, averaging around 5k damage. Only did around 10-15 Ukko's all told so take that part with a grain of salt. The one Raging Rush I tried did 2800ish.

I'm worried about switching atma over to SS from VV due to breaking my 5-hit (still need to redo WotG final fight for regain Moonshade and get an Almah Torque for a true 5-hit). Even with those pieces, there's a big trade off in viable WS and TP gear for 5-hit going from VV to SS (basically becomes an outside Abyssea WS set with Heafoc Mitts instead of Ravager's Mufflers +2). Not sure which will actually come out on top. 30% crit damage with about a 50% crit rate will be around a 15% damage increase over RR/AoA, but is basically locked in as a 6-hit build (currently for me at least)...the question becomes, will VV and 5-hit produce more than a 15% damage increase over RR/AoA? My initial thoughts are that it will.

I'll do some real testing over the weekend using both atma setups and appropriate gear. Already written into my Spellcast two groups: one for VV, one for SS.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-05-12 10:48:23  
Asura.Sechs said:

As far as I know, only critical damage has been increased. A few people tested on BG yesterday or so (post-maintenance) and still found the old cap of dDEX to be true. Critical hit rate appears to cap at 100% rather than 95% now though.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2011-05-12 10:52:09  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Asura.Sechs said:
The removal of the dDex cap and the 100% crit dam cap are changing a lot of things... not for Kannagi ninjas maybe, but for those lolninjas who still make use of Jin, there might be different gear and atma combinations right now.

Any NIN who doesn't have Kannagi is a lolninja now?

themoreyouknow.jpg
Any ninja who doesn't have a Kannagi is a lolninja indeed! Which includes me as well as I don't have one, neither I'm working on one D:
But that's the way they're gonna call ninjas like me! :D

Seriously now, sorry bout that btw, just meant to be slightly funny =/
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2011-05-12 11:00:38  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Asura.Sechs said:
As far as I know, only critical damage has been increased. A few people tested on BG yesterday or so (post-maintenance) and still found the old cap of dDEX to be true. Critical hit rate appears to cap at 100% rather than 95% now though.
Duh, I'll have to keep an eye on all of this in the upcoming weeks.
Maybe those people reporting "increase in base crit ratio" were just under the effect of placebo.

Supposing this is true, I don't think it's gonna be worth to drop GH, for both the versatility of it (AGI, which means eva, and secondarily counter) and its 20% crit rate bump. And removing GH probably never has been an option for Kannagi users because of the AGI mod on it.

Crit Damage might change something though, since I used to be at 55% some time ago (Qirmiz, Kamome, Cavaros, Loki's, Anwig Salade), of course I dropped that 5%, but it might be worth to put it up again. Need to go back to the evaluation table and make my choices again under this new light, and in light of new possible "Crit dam+" gear that I would have otherwise just scrapped because I was at cap already.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 11:28:04  
ok very possible that it's a dumb question but what about

RR/GH/SS vs RR/SS/Apoc?

I see a lot of people saying the RR/SS/Apoc, is the 15% triple attack with the extra crit damage better if we're not criting as often? idunno i guess it prolly dumb cause a triple attack is putting out more damage than a crit vs non-crit.

i would think RR/GH/Apoc would still output more damage over time but RR/SS/Apoc will have higher spikes with the new changes, anyone cosign?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2011-05-12 11:33:38  
I doubt anything is gonna beat Apoc. TA is just too much, especially for a job that dualwields (double the chances to proc it on each attack turn). Also, there's the utility factor. Reraise is really useful and Quick Magic is surely more useful for Ninjas than for most other DD jobs.

If I remember it right the best DD combination, taking into consideration ONLY damage and not other factors, was RR/A&O/Apoc.

In my opinion that's just a too specific setup though, and the -HP is gonna hurt, especially if you don't have capped merit abyssites.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 11:35:47  
yea well A) I don't have A&O and B) I'm a Taru so it doesn't sound all that fun to me :P
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2011-05-12 11:41:38  
Asura.Sechs said:
Odin.Sheelay said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
dDEX cap hasn't been removed :(
So the only way to effectively breach the current crit rate would be through Atmas and spceific gear? Maybe I'm just too tired to recall things correctly... sleepless night -.-
That amount was capped.

1) There was a previous cap at 95%

2)The people who are reporting 100% crit rates post update are doing it through atmas

3)dDEX's contribution to crit rate has NOT changed since the update.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-05-12 12:07:55  
whether or not there was a change from 95% to 100% the change is so minimal I don't know why people are bothering to talk about it UNLESS dDex was a contributor (which multiple people are confirm it's not)

If you were @ 95% crit rate with whatever you were doing before the patch you're not going to change much and you're not going to see much of a difference.

If you were not hitting 95% cap rate I don't think all of a sudden you're going to make major changes to gear/atma just because you can now hit 100%

the cap on crit dmg is the change people should be focusing on.
 Cerberus.Wojo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Wojo
By Cerberus.Wojo 2011-05-12 12:45:08  
Asura.Sechs said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Asura.Sechs said:
Duh, I'll have to keep an eye on all of this in the upcoming weeks.
Maybe those people reporting "increase in base crit ratio" were just under the effect of placebo.

Supposing this is true, I don't think it's gonna be worth to drop GH, for both the versatility of it (AGI, which means eva, and secondarily counter) and its 20% crit rate bump. And removing GH probably never has been an option for Kannagi users because of the AGI mod on it.

Crit Damage might change something though, since I used to be at 55% some time ago (Qirmiz, Kamome, Cavaros, Loki's, Anwig Salade), of course I dropped that 5%, but it might be worth to put it up again. Need to go back to the evaluation table and make my choices again under this new light, and in light of new possible "Crit dam+" gear that I would have otherwise just scrapped because I was at cap already.

I don't see any evasion advantage to using GH. I think that there is probably a dAGI cap on that similar to the dDEX cap - and you reach it just by having cruor buffs / some AGI gear equipped. So for me GH is 'just' a 20% crit rate which just isnt worth it with other viable options out there depending on your needs. Monk however I can see wanting the counter bonus as well.

SE really should adjust these caps to allow for more options including Savior / RR / Apoc.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-12 13:03:19  
The only dAGI cap is the one that affects your TP feed. Stop eyeballing.
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-05-12 13:13:02  
Out of curiosity has anyone tested if the mobs vit being low will allow crits to do more then before? I only ask because i was killing balls in grauberg abyssea the other day and was getting 5-5.5k jin spikes randomly where as before the highest i was ever seeing was 4.4k. I'm not saying they were consistant, only got them 2 or 3 times but I'd fought these things alot before the update so suddenly the random spikes dealing an extra 500-1k damage kinda jumped out at me. There also had been no changes to my gear or atma set up.
 Bismarck.Tragedie
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Tragedie 2011-05-12 13:18:47  
Cerberus.Wojo said:
Asura.Sechs said:
I don't see any evasion advantage to using GH. I think that there is probably a dAGI cap on that similar to the dDEX cap - and you reach it just by having cruor buffs / some AGI gear equipped. So for me GH is 'just' a 20% crit rate which just isnt worth it with other viable options out there depending on your needs. Monk however I can see wanting the counter bonus as well. SE really should adjust these caps to allow for more options including Savior / RR / Apoc.

If TP feed and counter aren't important, then yes, it's basically 'just' 20% crit rate (and some WS modifiers). For THFs, it's also a TA boost (I know it's the NIN forum), and if you're not tanking (in which case you'd benefit from GH), hopefully you'd be using TA whenever the timer is ready.

More importantly is looking at what gear sacrifices you'd have to make to add 'some AGI gear' to make up for lack of GH. Not sure about NIN, but it seems many THFs are favoring using their haste set with GH instead of sitting in eva gear.

But I mean, if you're in a situation where you're considering the AGI boosting your EVA as a benefit to using GH, wouldn't you also want the benefit of less TP feed and counter?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-12 13:25:50  
Asura.Ina said:
Out of curiosity has anyone tested if the mobs vit being low will allow crits to do more then before? I only ask because i was killing balls in grauberg abyssea the other day and was getting 5-5.5k jin spikes randomly where as before the highest i was ever seeing was 4.4k. I'm not saying they were consistant, only got them 2 or 3 times but I'd fought these things alot before the update so suddenly the random spikes dealing an extra 500-1k damage kinda jumped out at me. There also had been no changes to my gear or atma set up.
The adjustment was only for damage taken by PCs.