users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Best Off Hand for Kanagi
Best Off Hand for Kanagi
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2011-04-30 21:15:55  

Look at that -enmity, so as not to ruin Innin!
Plus MP for when you /rdm, and the shield skill!
Also def so you take less dmg!!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Stoutheart
By Quetzalcoatl.Stoutheart 2011-04-30 21:19:34  
TROLL!!!!!!!

Get a life Zeldageek. Obviously, it should be an Aegis!
 Odin.Upbeat
サーバ: Odin
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-04-30 21:30:37  
I've actually been wanting to get my hands on this shield for NIN vs PLD in PvP.
 Alexander.Msthief
サーバ: Alexander
user: Msthief87
By Alexander.Msthief 2011-04-30 21:47:43  
In case someone is looking at this wanting a serious answer, the popular opinion is Kamome. Some argue oa4 - there are several discussions in the ninja section about this.
[+]
 Leviathan.Kajii
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Kajii
By Leviathan.Kajii 2011-05-01 01:16:43  
Now I have to skill up shield?! FML!
 Asura.Dtroyy
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Dtroyy 2011-05-01 14:54:31  
all i see is juogi!
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2011-05-01 15:10:13  
Alexander.Msthief said:
In case someone is looking at this wanting a serious answer, the popular opinion is Kamome. Some argue oa4 - there are several discussions in the ninja section about this.

Why? OA4 looks pretty terrible to me.
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-05-01 15:25:55  
FENCER
 Bismarck.Faelar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2011-05-01 15:31:53  
Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek said:
Look at that -enmity, so as not to ruin Innin! Plus MP for when you /rdm, and the shield skill! Also def so you take less dmg!!

COR roll icons! What plugin is that?
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
user: zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2011-05-01 15:43:41  
ffxiview, its not a plugin, just a dat swap
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyler
user: Kyler
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyler 2011-05-01 15:45:03  
Lowest delay offhand weapon! 0! More aftermath procs yeah yeah
 Diabolos.Eclipstic
サーバ: Diabolos
user: eclipstic
By Diabolos.Eclipstic 2011-05-01 15:55:30  
personally i would have a hard time parting with my Hochomasamune in offhand, despite the "main hand delay". 10% fast cast and -5% recast is just sick on nin for shadows.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2011-05-02 22:23:00  
Siren.Kyte said:
Alexander.Msthief said:

Why? OA4 looks pretty terrible to me.

Bumping this, honestly interested in the answer lol
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2011-05-02 22:30:51  
I'd guess because it allows you to gain TP faster, WS more frequently and therefore keep the ODD up as much as possible?

It wasn't awkward to see DDs subbing Joyeuse, Ridill, M Kris in exp pty for the DoT, so why wouldn't an Oa4 Katana (which means you have the same combat skill as your main hand) be better, especially considering the fact it will likely get more trials which will either give it extra hits or a higher base damage?

The only negative side to Enchu+2 is the delay. I'd assume Kamome to be better inside Abyssea, but outside, if you want to keep the ODD up as much as possible, idk
 Shiva.Paulu
サーバ: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2011-05-02 22:34:40  
The best off-hand for a Kannagi is another Kannagi of course.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyler
user: Kyler
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyler 2011-05-03 06:13:15  
It's not a completely terrible option especially for /dnc solo.. but overall its actually severely harming your ODD procs.

242-180 62 difference in delay (Enchu vs Kamome), in capped delay reduction you are almost doubling the time between attack rounds. Aftermath only procs on the main hand so you aren't getting ODD on the 2-4 offhand.

Inside and even outside it is not difficult to keep aftermath up full time with just capped gear haste alone. So even if your support isn't perfect and for some reason you aren't getting haste from a WHM you can maintain your aftermath.

The 8 attack (and lesser so 8 accuracy) on top of the 10% crit hit damage is very difficult to beat outside abyssea and without question inside abyssea.

That isn't to say that the enchu doesn't have its uses or its a terrible waste of time or something. It is not however, the best for DoT especially if you are looking to maximize ODD procs.
[+]
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-05-03 09:02:58  
I have a ton of katanas for all sorts of different situations, here is a list of a few:

Inside abyssea I use Kamome for really anything aside from nukes.

Outside of abyssea I stick with Oirandori for the most part.

For nukes inside or outside of abyssea I use Sekka+2x2(MAB/INT)

For PvP vs PLDs or RDMs I single hand a Tsukumo with add effect silence if they aren't using ice spikes. If they keep ice spikes up most of the time I just put on a Terra staff, or use the MaB/INT Sekka+2s.

For tough solos on things that have very high acc/low delay(Dark Ixion 100% Acc w/ shadows up) I use Hochomasamune. /RDM, 26% Haste, Fast cast gear, and the utsu necklace; Ichi's recast is only 16 seconds, and finishes casting at around 40%. That paired up with AF3+2 boots, and Ni can make keeping shadows up a joke even on the hardest of things.

And lastly the only time I've really found a use for my Enchu +2 is when I was soloing Fafnir/Nidhogg. At the last 20% Oirandori just can't keep up with the TP you need to spam waltz. Even Enchu +2 cuts it pretty close.

For the most part a NIN really only needs a Kamome to offhand with a Kannagi, Oirandori probably pulls ahead of Kamome outside of abyssea. However I'm sure Kamome would be fine. I know a lot of the stuff I have is a little... over the top, but it's what I've found to be the best in each situation so far.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-05-03 09:29:09  
How about one of these?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-03 09:31:29  
It's stripped of all stats except damage/delay when offhanded, which makes it a mediocre choice. Top-tier offhand in town though.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-05-03 09:42:00  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
It's stripped of all stats except damage/delay when offhanded, which makes it a mediocre choice. Top-tier offhand in town though.
It still get's the 35 attack though right? I mean the 54 damage wouldn't count for anything? Does it not get the hidden effect of 2.5 damage chance?

Edit* I'm not trying to be impertinent. I am not wise as to how relic's really work. I thought you only lost WS and aftermath offhanding. I have a friend with kikoku who is going to make kannagi and i always joke that hell ahve to offhand relic.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-05-03 09:56:23  
ALL stats except damage/delay. And it's a 210 delay weapon which is meh as katanas go, especially when you have a mainhand with ODD.
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-05-03 10:59:26  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
I thought about it, but decide to go with one of these. I have just about all the currency(missing 15 100 bynes). I mostly just need the attestation(0/2), and fragment.
 Quetzalcoatl.Makenshi
user: Wolfen
By Quetzalcoatl.Makenshi 2011-05-03 11:03:52  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
I have a friend with Kikoku who is going to make Kannagi and I always joke that hell have to offhand relic.
Having both I know that feeling lol

Kikoku (90) is a decent offhand DPS wise, and hits pretty hard but offers little without the stats (granted the attack is only thing worthwhile, para is nice extra but not really necessary); Kamome adds lower delay with some attack/accuracy and increase in critical damage in both hands.

It's kind of sad they felt they had to nerf relic/mythic offhand (it's hardly game breaking unnerfed lol); especially when most magian trial weapons exceeded the stats of the original versions these days and are so much easier to get lol

The combine delay with my setup is only 12 more than Kamome offhand after gear DW/Haste so it's not a huge hit for the 17 higher damage, SE should really allow the stats offhand even if they remove the weaponskill and hidden damage modifier; well there's always hoping the possible upcoming trials will improve them some how I guess :p
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2011-05-03 11:06:13  
Quetzalcoatl.Kyler said:
It's not a completely terrible option especially for /dnc solo..

Okay, that was the only thing I could possibly think of. Like you said, the high delay and not-that-great hit distribution, along with its poor damage make it pretty terrible in my mind.