users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » WHM/SCH & Sublimation Sets
WHM/SCH & Sublimation Sets
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-04-27 08:21:16  
Disregarding that you don't need Sublimation as such inside Abyssea (I'm normally /BLM in there anyway), how exactly do "Sublimation sets" work?

I know they increase HP so you get a larger amount of MP stored, but wouldn't you just hit the 25% MP threshold instead of the 50% HP one? Similarly, when you cast a spell (say Cure), while you're charging Sublimation, wouldn't it drop your HP/MP and potentially put you inside the 50%/25% limits?

Looking for a bit of advice on Sublimation sets and the "howto and whyfor" of using them! (I know this sounds like a silly question to ask, but they aren't something I've ever seriously considered).

Any advice would be awesome.
 Shiva.Aaralyn
サーバ: Shiva
user: Aaralyn
By Shiva.Aaralyn 2011-04-27 08:38:37  
I just charge sublimation in my devotion set before an event, or after a wipe. As WHM I'm normally one of the first to unweaken, so I just cure myself, sublimation, recast buffs yada yada, rest a bit until others unweaken and cure them. Rest while people talk about who did what to screw us up, and then use sublimation when needed, and get really freaking ticked off if it's dispelled along the way.
 Lakshmi.Galith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-04-27 08:42:08  
I am not a WHM but I am a SCH and I think you've got the wrong idea. Sublimation stores 25% of your max HP unless your Current HP drops below 50%. So if you are red and hit sublimation it will just say it's full off the bat and you'll get no MP.

What you're talking about is making a set of gear that has more HP so you get more benefit from the stored MP. So if you had 1000 Max HP you'd store 250MP but if you had 1100 you'd store 275MP. The problem is that the sublimation calculation is always active and if you start a sublimation macro with 1100hp and swap over to 1000 it will only give you 250MP.

What this means is that whatever benefit you want to receive from "Sublimation Gear" has to be worn at all times while you're charging which is a pretty big limitation. I think you'd be better off making an Idle set that has Refresh and -Damage Taken than trying to worry about Sublimation Caps. The only consideration I would give to a sublimation set is making sure you're not using a lot of unnecessary -HP gear in a macro that would result in completing a charge prematurely.
[+]
サーバ: Titan
By Titan.Darkestknight 2011-04-27 08:42:10  
Sublimation doesn't have a 25% MP cap, it has a 25% HP cap and will stop charging if your HP goes below 50%. By raisng your HP you increase the MP cap thus increasing the MP cured.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-04-27 08:51:15  
Titan.Darkestknight said:
Sublimation doesn't have a 25% MP cap, it has a 25% HP cap

I don't believe I never noticed that.. I was always told it was 50% HP or 25% MP (whichever came first) and I guess I just ended up glossing over it whenever I read up on it.. /headdesk

Lakshmi.Galith said:
What this means is that whatever benefit you want to receive from "Sublimation Gear" has to be worn at all times while you're charging which is a pretty big limitation.

That's what I never quite understood. I'd always see SCH and /SCH praising Sublimation sets, but never really worked out why (and until today, I never really cared all that much).

I'm glad to know that aside from an initial Sublimation, I'm not missing out on all that much from not having a dedicated set for it.

Thanks guys!
 Lakshmi.Galith
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Galadriel
By Lakshmi.Galith 2011-04-27 09:03:23  
Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Titan.Darkestknight said:
Sublimation doesn't have a 25% MP cap, it has a 25% HP cap

I don't believe I never noticed that.. I was always told it was 50% HP or 25% MP (whichever came first) and I guess I just ended up glossing over it whenever I read up on it.. /headdesk

Lakshmi.Galith said:
What this means is that whatever benefit you want to receive from "Sublimation Gear" has to be worn at all times while you're charging which is a pretty big limitation.

That's what I never quite understood. I'd always see SCH and /SCH praising Sublimation sets, but never really worked out why (and until today, I never really cared all that much).

I'm glad to know that aside from an initial Sublimation, I'm not missing out on all that much from not having a dedicated set for it.

Thanks guys!

I've changed my mind after thinking about it a bit. I have a rather obnoxious white mage friend who obsesses about his Devotion macro and he loads up on a ton of hp to give to my BLM friend. I think if before a fight u charged sublimation with your devotion macro's hp then you'd be able to have a nice initial sublimation. This would however not be so useful for the actual fight and debatable if it's worth the loss of your inventory space.

That said Scholars get "Enhances Sublimation" Gear so our sublimation sets involve filling the charge quicker not expanding the amount of mp in the charge which is what you do by stacking hp. Sadly I do not believe white mage has access to any such enhances sublimation gear.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
サーバ: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-04-27 09:09:49  
I used to have a pretty dedicated build for it for SMN at 75 cap, as people have said its not worth using in the middle of a fight where you'll be swapping that gear out, but having a stronger full charge to start with is reason enough to make at least a semi-arsed set for it, it makes a noticable difference in your MP endurance.

If you have 2 pieces of regen gear, like orochi nodowa and pluviale you wouldn't even need to cast stoneskin to negate the HP drain, and pluv is a pretty awesome piece for sublimation for /sch.
 Cerberus.Quipto
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-04-27 09:18:13  
Siren.Kunimatsu said:
I used to have a pretty dedicated build for it for SMN at 75 cap, as people have said its not worth using in the middle of a fight where you'll be swapping that gear out, but having a stronger full charge to start with is reason enough to make at least a semi-arsed set for it, it makes a noticable difference in your MP endurance. If you have 2 pieces of regen gear, like orochi nodowa and pluviale you wouldn't even need to cast stoneskin to negate the HP drain, and pluv is a pretty awesome piece for sublimation for /sch.
You don't even need regen gear to do that. WHM has natural 2 HP/tic regen.
 Siren.Kunimatsu
サーバ: Siren
user: Kunimatsu
By Siren.Kunimatsu 2011-04-27 09:19:45  
Totally forgot lol, had smn in mind when typing.