First Page 2
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-26 23:14:04  
So!

Personally,

I think anyone should be able to win, regardless of how many times they've entered.

I like chatting in the MS Paint threads and going off on tangents.

As long as you use MS Paint, anything goes, be it mouse or tablet.

It hasn't happened recently, but I was thinking maybe there should be a grace period between the times you can win?

I'll update all the entries into a post on the first page, or help the OP put them up.

It really grinds my gears when I see people say 'Ope! I'm gonna vote for so and so' well before Saturday.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
サーバ: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-26 23:24:59  
id like to add, dont post progressive WIP's in different posts cause sometimes seing 3~4 WIPs floating in the tread, by the time the final piece is posted it looses its impact, not to mention, can get confusing when looking at other entries.
[+]
 Bismarck.Yuzumoo
user: Yuzuchan
By Bismarck.Yuzumoo 2011-04-26 23:25:46  
I posted this in the other thread, but i'm going to copy and paste it here as well:

You have to take into account that some people would maybe like to enter the contest but simply don't have the time to put together an entry for it. And on the off chance they can, they shouldn't be penalized for doing so.

Furthermore, some people just can't conceptualize an idea for certain topics (myself included) so if one pops up that they have an idea for,
I don't see what the issue is. This is all supposed to be fun anyway.

I also want to add that if the gripe is about not being able to use a topic you have in your mind, why not send the winner a PM with suggestions? I know in the past I have read people saying "Dont vote for me, I dont want to think of a topic" etc.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2011-04-26 23:31:30  
Quite honestly, I don't think it needs any changing at all. It's supposed to be a fun contest, not a professional event.

Use MS Paint
Vote on Saturday
Don't ***

Sounds pretty easy to me.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-26 23:35:47  
^ *nods*
 Hades.Cheyne
サーバ: Hades
user: Cheyne
By Hades.Cheyne 2011-04-26 23:36:41  
I agree with Dameshi, don't need to fix what isn't broken!
 Asura.Ina
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-04-26 23:41:03  
Gotta agree, i've only entered a couple times but it's all good fun... doubt I'll ever win one but the fun for me comes from trying to figure out something good to do and seeing everyone else's ideas.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-26 23:47:50  
Maybe just tweak the rules in the OP's.

1. Only MS Paint is allowed for submitted entries. Tablet or mouse.

2. Use IMG tags to post your submission, no URLs please.

3. If you want to play, submit your entry in a reply.

4. Try to post at least one work in progress (WIP) along with your entry in a link or spoiler.

5. No voting for yourself.

6. To vote for someone post a reply saying "I vote for (Name in Bold)"

7. No submitting old works from the original MS Paint Challenges! Should a subject that you did a work for in the last challenge arise, please use a fresh idea!

8. Entry submissions open Sunday, voting takes place the following Saturday. Please try to refrain from casting your vote before then.

9. Something about not quoting entries and cut down quotes to one or something?
 Cerberus.Eugene
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Eugene
By Cerberus.Eugene 2011-04-26 23:49:25  
spoilers work fine for wips, and they allow you to keep them all in one place if you have more than one

don't know if you need to limit wips to 1, I think it's not so bad as long as you aren't spamming them every other post. If theyre all spoiled, ppl can look at them at them if they want, but don't have to see them everytime they check the thread.
 Bismarck.Misao
By Bismarck.Misao 2011-04-26 23:52:16  
8. Entry submissions open Sunday, voting takes place the following Saturday. Please try to refrain from casting your vote before then.?
refraining from posting could also mean less fun chatter
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-26 23:53:23  
Edited ~
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-04-26 23:55:37  
Fairy.Spence said:
So!

Personally,

I think anyone should be able to win, regardless of how many times they've entered.

It hasn't happened recently, but I was thinking maybe there should be a grace period between the times you can win?

I'll update all the entries into a post on the first page, or help the OP put them up.

It really grinds my gears when I see people say 'Ope! I'm gonna vote for so and so' well before Saturday.

are you serious?

way to get mad at something completely harmless, if something phenomenal comes along, they're free to change their mind

more rules = less of the fun, informal contest it is
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-26 23:56:29  
I'm not mad, bro.

It was suggested that a thread like this be started, so I obliged.
By zahrah 2011-04-27 00:00:09  
Fairy.Spence said:
So!

Personally,

Okay...I've already revised my opinion on the the amount of times a contestant should enter, but I think that that there are many different aspects that you can love about multiple entries. Maybe I'm just indecisive by nature, but humor, overall content, and sometimes skill are all aspects I appreciate individually. So, I thought an overall winner with sub-categories would be a good addition.

Off-topic tangents are fun and keeps the thread lively! I think that the discussions we have collectively on the thread builds camaraderie with in contestants. Fun is fun, and there is a lot to be had with this group!

I like tablets. I'm envious of those with them. Like I said before, "they give us something to marvel at."

Yeah...The preemptive votes are really annoying.
By zahrah 2011-04-27 00:03:00  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Fairy.Spence said:
So!

Personally,

are you serious?

way to get mad at something completely harmless, if something phenomenal comes along, they're free to change their mind

more rules = less of the fun, informal contest it is

BS from beforehand. Basically, it's my fault for making a suggestion. It's turned into a cluster-f***.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2011-04-27 00:14:13  
I wouldn't say they are adding more rules, more like twieking the ones that are there... tbh it kinda bugs me as well when 2 days in people are saying who they will vote for.
[+]
 Titan.Lillica
サーバ: Titan
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2011-04-27 00:39:20  
I also think that winning 2 weeks in a row should be disallowed. I remember this only happening a couple times, but one time it almost happened with me but I withdrew my entry from voting. I think it was a sort of unspoken rule that we can't win 2 in a row, but I would be happy to extend that to a 2 week grace period, though it might become confusing for new voters who may not know who won for 2-3 weeks in a row.

I would like to see that chatter cut down as well as the repeatedly mentioned bitching/moaning. If the chit chat can be kept art related however and in a constructive to the thread sort of way I am all for that. Please leave your facebook posts where they belong, or do that crap in Ni.

Casting votes early or saying "I know who I am voting for" as mentioned before is generally discouraging and I would appreciate seeing that done away with. That being said I think some accommodation should be made to allow those who may be able to get on Thursday/Friday and want to cast a vote but can't be on Saturdays. Perhaps if this is the case they could spoiler the vote with a warning saying "I AM VOTING EARLY DO NOT OPEN TIL SAT" and this should not be allowed until later in the week.

Bumping... holy **** this is gunna P-off Spence but I really think this needs to be cut down a bit. Keeping awareness of the thread up is one thing, and it's good to do periodically. Too often though I have seen...

Going into the bathroom bump.
Taking a dump bump.
Poop is coming out bump.
Almost done pooping bump.
Wiping my butt bump.
Flushing bump.

Within hours or minutes of each other. And yes, I stole that gag from Penny-Arcade.

Also I think Spence should be given a form of moderator power over at least the Fan-Art section of the forums in the event that a rogue vote or raging Lillica get our of hand and need to have a post removed, since he pretty much lives in here.

That's all the thoughts/feedback I have for now.

I apologize for raging so hard earlier, I <3 you guys deep down I think I am just starting my period soon or something.
[+]
 Alexander.Jukie
サーバ: Alexander
user: Jukie
By Alexander.Jukie 2011-04-27 05:46:16  
I know this is technically ff11 forum <.< but could the mspaint challenge include ff14 too? <.< The forums over there arent as regularly used as here so I think if there was a ff14 mspaint challenge it wouldnt get any entries <.<
 Titan.Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2011-04-27 09:05:41  
Alexander.Jukie said:
I know this is technically ff11 forum <.< but could the mspaint challenge include ff14 too? <.< The forums over there arent as regularly used as here so I think if there was a ff14 mspaint challenge it wouldnt get any entries <.<

No one ever said you can't use FF14 in your artwork, but the fact is probably a lot of us haven't played it since it's ya know... poop. We might not get your puns and references if you were to do so.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2011-04-27 09:46:59  
I'd like to know how many people enter because they're reminded from the bumps. If it doesn't help, I'd stop, but if it did... I dunno :/

I don't want to be a mod or anything like that, I don't think it's needed, we've never really had any problems with people in this section.

What I would like, is to be able to stick all the entries in the OP.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2011-04-27 09:53:12  
Fairy.Spence said:
I'd like to know how many people enter because they're reminded from the bumps. If it doesn't help, I'd stop, but if it did... I dunno :/

I don't want to be a mod or anything like that, I don't think it's needed, we've never really had any problems with people in this section.

The bumps help me remember, also it lets me see all the entries often ^^
 Ragnarok.Zanno
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2011-04-27 09:55:06  
Ramuh.Rowland said:
I dislike WIPs. I understand the point of them. I know some people draw so well that they might seem like they're copied and pasted from the internet. But personally, I forget about them. The topics for awhile now have been pretty unique so that you have to actually draw.

I just know I can't draw as well as some, even if I had a tablet, it wouldn't look much different than if I used the mouse. Which is why I think some/most people shy away from drawing pictures. People who can't draw have good ideas for topics too. I realize it's a contest for MSPaint and the best drawing wins, but after awhile the same people keep winning. The community can look back and see who can draw and who can't.

I'm not saying let the bad drawers win once in awhile, it's more or less an observation.

Well people improve as well.

Example:

Bismarck.Misao said:

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

and uhm... THAT!

Bismarck.Misao said:
doing these challenges, i went from:

to that ^

this is, an actual (2nd)submition i made :P
little over a year ago
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2011-04-27 09:55:27  
Asura.Dameshi said:
Fairy.Spence said:
I'd like to know how many people enter because they're reminded from the bumps. If it doesn't help, I'd stop, but if it did... I dunno :/ I don't want to be a mod or anything like that, I don't think it's needed, we've never really had any problems with people in this section. What I would like, is to be able to stick all the entries in the OP.

The OP could click the quote button then copy the image code and edit into the post right? Although i guess this would depend on how much time the OP has.
 Ramuh.Urial
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2011-04-27 10:03:11  
Asura.Dameshi said:
Fairy.Spence said:

This.
I honestly feel as though Lillica way over played the bumping and even talking. It's not hard to scroll and easily tell the difference from what is a picture and what is text. I mean if you're in such a rush that all you care to do is look for 7 seconds through the thread then why really bother. Don't claim the chatter is the reason you haven't posted that makes no sense.
 Alexander.Jukie
サーバ: Alexander
user: Jukie
By Alexander.Jukie 2011-04-27 12:21:22  
Ragnarok.Zanno said:

Well people improve as well.

Example:

My first ms paint pic (not one I submitted to the challenge just a personal one) looked like this. I think its 2 years old.

I did a new one of the same taru a few weeks ago and it now looks like this.

I've been using MS Paint Challenge to practice <.<
By zahrah 2011-04-27 12:47:52  
Ramuh.Urial said:
I honestly feel as though Lillica way over played the bumping and even talking. It's not hard to scroll and easily tell the difference from what is a picture and what is text. I mean if you're in such a rush that all you care to do is look for 7 seconds through the thread then why really bother. Don't claim the chatter is the reason you haven't posted that makes no sense.

I agree. He himself joined in some goofy off-topic chatter last week with me and Spence. Why join in if he detests it so much?

I think the responses to Spence and bumping are fairly positive too. So, if majority has anything to say about it, it's not an issue.
 Titan.Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2011-04-27 16:49:25  
It's not the chit-chat that bothers me so much as the bitching and crying that comes with it. If things get derailed a bit its not a problem but the last few weeks it has consistently evolved from teehee poking each others butts fun time into *** wah wah I hate the rules cuz I can't win ***.

The bumps help indeedly, I usually bump at least once so the topic is in my history and I have a quick way to get to it. I am just saying that if the challenge is still in the top 10 or so posts it doesn't NEED to be bumped the second it drops from the mainpage. I have seen it go from third on the top page to first because someone felt the need to bump it that soon. It's not full on HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE, just mildly HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hewison
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Hewison
By Lakshmi.Hewison 2011-04-27 17:21:57  
Titan.Lillica said:
I usually bump at least once so the topic is in my history and I have a quick way to get to it.

I'm guilty of doing that, heh.

In regards to threads being bumped, I don't mind it personally. However I do slightly become sadface.jpg when refresh the tab I have with MS Paint in and find nothing but a series of bumps, that's just me nitpicking though. All for random derails and crazyness however, I'll happily jump into the convo as I've done previously.
Looking at the previous weeks which have been bumped there have been more entries. I'd say bumping obviously helps, or atleast bullies people into entering >:3

The revised rules as listed above seem fine. Should make things much easier or atleast if any Q.Qing happens they can just be refered to the rules. They're more like guidelines anyways~

I forget what else I was gonna say. Too busy looking for a Pirates of the Caribbean meme and failing horribly.
 Bismarck.Maiyuu
user: maiyuu
By Bismarck.Maiyuu 2011-04-27 22:24:05  
I think the rules seem legit.

As for the "winning consecutive times in a row" thing, that is a rather grey area of discussion. I don't think there should be a limit to how many times one could enter (and win). So far it really hasn't come about where someone has won the topic enough to warrant this type of discussion. As it stands, these challenges aren't always about artistic abilities, but more along the lines of creativity and imagination/designs. If it does come down to a person winning two weeks+ in a row, that doesn't necessarily mean they are a better artist, they may have just had a better idea and execution of the topic of that said week. No need to "penalize" someone for having a good idea.

Jukie: I've played FFXIV.. for like a month, lol, but I think it would be easier to stick with FFXI. Now if you have a screenshot to show us how your drawing fits the topic :) it might help us understand more. Would be fun to learn more of the "disappointing" sides of FFXIV through MS paint (if it fits the topic)

I also don't mind the bumps. keeps things lively (in a weird way lol) also they remind me when my week gets busy. But other than that, I think if you guys add anymore rules, it is going to start feeling more like work rather than fun ^_^; Just saying. I agree with keeping the rules simple, and what Spence wrote seems fine.

PLEASE follow #9.. multi quotes do get rather annoying though :P

Lakshmi.Hewison said:
They're more like guidelines anyways~
Pirates of the Caribbean popped in my head before I even saw your next lines of text! :D lol
First Page 2