This One's For The Laptop Users...

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Fairy » This one's for the laptop users...
This one's for the laptop users...
First Page 2
 Fairy.Nirrvana
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-03-25 11:43:35  
ok, so I've been through hell in the last 24 hours just trying to figure out the controls after uploading FFXI to my laptop. I'm not a computer person by any means but I think I've done well in figuring things out.

I went out and bought a logitech dual action controler and figured out how to config the game and the controller but I'm stumped on two things and I'm hoping someone out there can help because while they are little things they are driving me crazy.

1. for some reason the camera insists on being at my feet. So, I run around looking up my own skirt or at the sky. Makes it hard to see where I'm going let alone find and target mobs.

2. the controler looks like a PS controller but during config the d-pad and the left stick got switched around compaired to what I'm used to on my XBOX. the d-pad is being used for movement and the stick for menu movement. I can't seem to figure out how to switch them around.

any ideas? and please realize I don't speak computer so I will probably need the abc's if you know how to fix these issues ^^

Thanks in advance!
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-25 11:54:13  
Before you log onto the game, there's a ffxi config option when you got to START > PROGRAMS > PLAYONLINE > FFXI Config.

There you should be able to adjust the buttons to the way you want.

Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Are you familiar with control panel -> game controllers settings? You'll have to mess around in there to get your controller working... Also there is the FFXI configuration application too in which you can mess around with controller settings.

The constantly looking at the ground or up your own skirt... it sounds like a mouse thing. If the mouse isn't in the center of the screen it will continuously move the camera in w/e direction.

If you are playing on a laptop keyboard, it would be most convenient for you to go into the ingame configuration and set the keyboard to compact as opposed to full.

See how this helps, let us know.

Thanks.
 Lakshmi.Dmnone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: dmnone
By Lakshmi.Dmnone 2009-03-25 11:58:41  
next to d pad theres two buttons the one with the light is the one you use to switch dpad control to the "stick" also a warning any of the "wired" controllers will either burn out your usb or themselves get a wireless one they last 10 times longer plus the wireless will drain your batt a lot less Ive gone thru 10 wired logitechs and im on my second wireless one and thats only because the first one was thrown and broken
 Fairy.Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-03-25 14:30:42  
Ok, I went to the POL and the FFXI configuration prior to my first post. I should have explained that better. I figured out how to get the controler working for both but still the way it's set up the d-pad and the stick are reversed from the way the controller is for PS2 and Xbox. And when I go to the menu there isn't an option that I see (or understand) that would change what I'm trying to change. Dmnone I'm about to try your suggestion, sounds like you have used the same controller. The light goes on when i push that button but I didn't notice it changing anything to the stick but I'm going to try again right now.

The camera thing I can't figure out. I have no mouse connected while I play because I thought it was a mouse problem at first too. In order to have the camera at normal hight i have to push my right stick up entirely....rather uncomfortable while I'm running around. Any other suggestions there? I've tried everything I can think of. lol

I'm a console gamer for a reason....I just wanted to take the game with me when i can. ><

Thanks for the help so far, it's appreciated. ^^
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-25 14:34:39  
Nirrvana said:
The camera thing I can't figure out. I have no mouse connected while I play because I thought it was a mouse problem at first too. In order to have the camera at normal hight i have to push my right stick up entirely....rather uncomfortable while I'm running around. Any other suggestions there? I've tried everything I can think of. lol

There's some setting for the camera in the config, and also a keyboard shortcut (Home or End, I think) that locks the camera behind you...maybe that's the issue?
 Phoenix.Amael
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-03-25 14:41:18  
I play on Laptop too, one thing that often happens to me to its the camera stick to the floor. Just use your mouse pad and right hold it to move the camera somewhere else. Also, see that in you Dpad Config, the Joystick for Camera its not stuck up. Another thing you can do, in-game, in Config, theres an option for Camera Movement, Switch it to movement so the camera follows you around. Sorry if im being short on explaining this.
 Fairy.Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-03-25 14:42:07  
while I'm totally prone to telling you it worked cuz of your avatar alone...I tried that. ^^ I can't seem to make any changes with those options, I tried reconfiguring the controller camera options that didn't work either.

The button did work for the d-pad controller issue. I feel stupid for not figuring that one out though. lmao I swear I pushed that button a dozen times and it made no difference. Thanks though.

Now it's just the supid camera thing.....
 Kujata.Maidak
サーバ: Kujata
user: Maidak
By Kujata.Maidak 2009-03-25 14:45:16  
well i play on a laptop myself actually and the camara thing could be related to that shitty fn button that makes the compact keyboard have a keypad sometimes if u hit that while hitting say for my keyboard the no.7 and then let go of the fn button it sticks in that state so he runs until u hit fn hit 7 let go of 7 then let go of the fn key very tedious
 Fairy.Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-03-25 14:46:29  
Amael said:
I play on Laptop too, one thing that often happens to me to its the camera stick to the floor. Just use your mouse pad and right hold it to move the camera somewhere else. Also, see that in you Dpad Config, the Joystick for Camera its not stuck up. Another thing you can do, in-game, in Config, theres an option for Camera Movement, Switch it to movement so the camera follows you around. Sorry if im being short on explaining this.

When I move the camera is just goes right back down to the floor. I tried going to the game pad config and it does seem like at the home postion for the right stick shows the little dot in the square pretty low. I'm wondering if it's just a cheap controller problem? Cuz people can't play like this. I'm spending an entire fight looking at my own crotch...not pleasent on so many levels. ^^

I went into the config menu in game and also changed those options and it made no difference. From what Dmnone says I'm thinking this controller was $30 for a reason. Although he didn't mention having this particular problem.
 Fairy.Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-03-25 14:49:56  
Maidak said:
well i play on a laptop myself actually and the camara thing could be related to that shitty fn button that makes the compact keyboard have a keypad sometimes if u hit that while hitting say for my keyboard the no.7 and then let go of the fn button it sticks in that state so he runs until u hit fn hit 7 let go of 7 then let go of the fn key very tedious

I'm using the controler 99% of the time though, so I don't think that would be my problem? The only thing I'm using the keyboard for is talking. That's why I bought the controller. keyboard and mouse made me feel like an idiot. lol
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-25 14:54:11  
Maybe turn off the mouse on the laptop. go to control panel > mouse > Hardware Tab > click Properties > then disable the mouse on bottom pull down menu.

See if that works
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-03-25 14:54:24  
What kind of brand the controller is? I once bought one that it absolutely didnt work with FFXI cuz couldnt control the Dpad and the joysticks at the same time. I had bought several Logitech ones (Discarded them cuz the wire broke partly because i play a lot, partly im a freaking hamster and cant stop chewing them) and these worked extremly well. I bought a logitech wireless one which so far hasnt give me any problems. So if you cannot possibly at the moment play with a Controller use the keyboard. :(

Theres in Config IN-GAME to change keyboard layout to short. I use this when at work i want to check on my items on AH ^.~
But i wouldnt (and coulnt) possibly play with the keyboard only cuz I have no mechanicals skills (I BARELY know left from right) and I think im not up to it.
If you think its the controller, get a logitech one, so far so good for me.

P.S. (LOGITECH OWES ME FOR THIS ADVERTISEMENT) >=O!
 Fairy.Nirrvana
By Fairy.Nirrvana 2009-03-25 15:00:54  
The one I'm using is logitech dual action. It has a cord though so maybe I'll grab the cordless. I just messed with the config menu in the controller software....lets see if this works....

again, thanks for the help everyone!
 Kujata.Houshisama
サーバ: Kujata
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-03-25 15:36:29  
i play with keyboard and keyboard only. the mouse is never used >.> people who use controllers make me want to punch donkeys
 Bahamut.Ziggz
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ziggz
By Bahamut.Ziggz 2009-03-25 15:44:16  
Houshisama said:
i play with keyboard and keyboard only. the mouse is never used >.> people who use controllers make me want to punch donkeys

ditto.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-25 15:49:30  
Ziggz said:
Houshisama said:

ditto.

ditto the ditto ^^
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-03-25 16:13:18  
#2 you dont count!!! jk but I prefer the controller :) my desk isnt made for gaming with the keyboard so I use the controller on my pc. I do use the keyboard if i was whm
 Gilgamesh.Nynja
user: NynJa
By Gilgamesh.Nynja 2009-03-25 16:16:10  
If the game insists on upskirt shots, check two things:
1-you dont have the mouse pointed at the top of the screen, which is moving the camera down.
2-your camera controls on the gamepad arent bugged.

I frequently 2box, my pc is via gamepad, laptop via keyboard...I prefer by gamepad though. Mouse is utter garbage for the game though.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-25 16:20:06  
Alyria said:
#2 you dont count!!!

Ohhh... *cry*

Mabrook said:
From those 3, the best I've found to be is the keyboard. Mainly because I can do things much faster on a keyboard, plus I have wiki @ my disposal.

For bonus points, get a G11 or G15...one button macros are SOOOO nice ^^

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-03-25 16:27:49  
Mabrook said:
Xxnumbertwoxx said:
For bonus points, get a G11 or G15...one button macros are SOOOO nice ^^

As much as I would love to get 1 of those I play on Laptop ><; That thing indeed does look sexy though lol.

It is awesome, but the downside is you get so used to it, when you don't have those macro keys you're lost lol
 Asura.Redaske
サーバ: Asura
user: Redaske
By Asura.Redaske 2009-03-25 17:01:22  
Little recomendation with your Logitech control. Calibrate it in your Control Panel> Game Controllers menu. Should fix your camera control issues. If not... you got a bugged controller
 Unicorn.Tavlov
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2009-03-25 17:09:58  
I play on pc and use a controller too. I have always been a console player and have never played any game with a keyboard, I dont really care to start learning now...

Anyways, i tried what i think is a logitech controller.. crap. Bad configurations, and not everything would work right. So I was looking at best buy and seen an xbox controller with pc accesories. The xbox controller works great for this game. Only one minor setback. The back trigger sensitive buttons wont work with anything in game. Would like to have had my macro lines on them, but i just put them on the analog joystick buttons. Havent had any issues at all. I can do just about everything with the controller, only use keyboard to chat, take pics, and first person view.

Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Reg. Camera issue:

If it's not the mouse, it's probably the calibration of the controller that has the game reading it as you are holding down (or up) even when you aren't touching the stick. To verify this, try starting the game without the gamepad connected. Calibration settings would be found in the control panel of windows, under game controller settings.
 Phoenix.Amael
By Phoenix.Amael 2009-03-25 23:01:52  
Tavlov said:
I play on pc and use a controller too. I have always been a console player and have never played any game with a keyboard, I dont really care to start learning now...

Same!

Tavlov said:

Anyways, i tried what i think is a logitech controller.. crap.

Think? ._.;
Mine's good. Even rumbles when a big thing its passing around or get agro, which I like since I do not hear the game music/sound
 Shiva.Clowdd
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Clowdd 2009-03-26 01:04:25  
OK, I hope this helps:

1. Start Menu > All Programs > Playonline folder > Final Fantasy XI Folder > Final Fantasy XI Config.

2. When Final Fantasy XI Config window is up click on Gamepad Settings and it will open the Final Fantasy XI Gamepad Configuration Tool.

3. I mapped my controller imagining I had A PS2 controller in my hand (if you don't know what the PS2 controller button set up is, Google it, it's fairly simple) set up is like this:

Select: X button
Cancel: Circle button
Active window/window options: Square button
Main: Triangle button
Autorun: R3 button (press down on Right Analog Stick)
Macro Palette 1(ctrl key on keyboard): R1
Macro Palette 2(alt key on keyboard): R2
Logout: Start button
Hide (for screenshots): Select button
Heal/Lock onto Target: L3 (press down on Left Analog Stick)
Change View: L1
Take Screenshot: L2

4. In the Configuration Window there is a section called "Directional Control Devices" This is to set up your analogs and D-Pad.

a. Click on the Movement tab and follow instructions. (basically hold up on left analog stick press 1 on your controller, hold down on left analog stick press 1 on your controller and so on so forth) Once you Finish a box will come up for you to test the analogs movement control make a few circles with your analog, if the dot moves you've set your left analog correctly!

b. Click on the Camera tab and repeat step 4a but using the right analog stick instead.

c. Now click on the Menus tab and repeat step 4a but using the D-Pad instead.

5. Now that you're done setting up your Right & Left analog stick and the D-Pad click on the Test Gamepad Tab. And make sure everything you press on the controller highlights in the little circles.

6. Click the OK tab and the configuration tool will disappear and you will be left with the FFXI Config window. Click on OK and save accordingly.

Your gamepad is setup.

Once you're logged into FFXI goto your game menu and then Config.

In the config menu the next to last tab is Mouse/Cam.

Click on it.

Make sure Screen Edge Panning is set to off.

This will allow your mouse arrow to be anywhere on your screen with out making the screen move.

I hope this helps!

ps changing the Keyboard to compact is totally up to you just remember if you do set it to compact you can move with your a,w,s,d keys and will have to hit your spacebar to type messages or the respective ctrl L, S, R & P.

Good Luck and happy gaming!
 Lakshmi.Dmnone
By Lakshmi.Dmnone 2009-03-26 10:49:58  
the analog sticks on the controller will "STICK" in any direction you have it on when you turn on the comp or plug it in just try unplugging it and plugging it back in and don't touch the control this happens to me too if a start playing while the control is laying upside down with some weight on it
 Lakshmi.Dmnone
By Lakshmi.Dmnone 2009-03-26 10:51:14  
oh and just remember Forum guys its not always a techical thing some times the simplest fixes work best
First Page 2