By Bismarck.Masterblaster 2009-03-01 06:55:30  
Whats the best way to do this?
 Fenrir.Caramon
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user:
By Fenrir.Caramon 2009-03-01 10:55:00
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

There maybe something out there cheaper now days.

50-53 silk cloth, save it all

53-62 green ribbons
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
サーバ: Ramuh
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-03-01 11:00:11  
well i need to get though this spot on cloth also i am going to

Clump Of Karakul Wool ->Spool Of Karakul Thread ~55
Spool Of Karakul Thread ->Square Of Karakul Cloth ~57
and then the green ribbons
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-03-02 10:27:09  
Caramon said:
There maybe something out there cheaper now days.

50-53 silk cloth, save it all

53-62 green ribbons
But, a stack of Silk Cloth goes for 45,000g here on Remora. If you turn a stack of it into Green Ribbons and NPC, you're only going to get ~25,000g back. So, basically, you're losing 19,000g for each stack. While silk cloth is available and easy, I'm still searching for a synth that can be done without losing so much at this level. Though, I do fully understand that around this point it becomes a matter of how much you're losing generally instead of how much you're making.

To the OP: I think Gold Thread is the best synth in this area, to 58 anyway. But, it'll take some up-front work to get your Goldsmithing up. This is a subcraft you'll want to level later anyhow.

Then, maybe the Hunter's Cotton would minimize loss even if you're not getting much gil back from NPC... at least you're not losing 20,000g per stack.
 Phoenix.Jile
サーバ: Phoenix
user: JileFFXI
By Phoenix.Jile 2009-03-04 11:58:49  
Something to note.. Crafting, for the most part, is a loss to skill unless you farm all of your own materials. If you were going to buy stacks of silk cloth you're going to eat a loss because those are 'normally' profitable to sell even if you buy the silk threads off the AH and flip it right back on the AH in stacks of cloth.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question:

Because insect fletchings are virtually free I'd craft those to cap of 52. Then I would farm silk thread and make about 10 stacks of silk cloth (yes, you're going to hate killing crawlers but you're going to appreciate the gil you will make so do it anyway lol).

This next part is important.. After you have your 10 stacks of silk cloth - stop and wait for 95% moon or better and bring 10 stacks of wind crystals with you to the guild, get adv support and power craft the heck out of those cloth's.. npc the green ribbons.

This is likely redundant information for you but... A member of my ls made it to lvl72 cooking without knowing direction and moon cycle made a difference - please be turned SouthEast while skilling using a wind crystal ^^.

I suggest looking at a timer, like this:
http://ffxi.lokyst.net/timer/crafttimer.html

Have fun!
 Asura.Malekith
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-04 13:54:39  
For silk farming, I found the best spot was in the Temple of Uggalepih. I killed crawlers while I waited to pop Habetrot for twincoons. Every other crawler I killed either dropped silk thread or a crawler cocoon.

Now if you're not insane like I am, just stalk the guild store and buy cocoons there. As long as the cocoons are not 800+ you're going to come out ahead of what you would pay for the silk thread per stack. Then again my frame of reference is 16-18k on Asura atm.

But ya once you've got enough silk, it's as Jile said... rinse and repeat. Sad thing is I'm level 64 and I'm still on the silk road... I'm alternating between silk headbands and black chocobo fletchings...
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2009-03-04 14:00:52  
You're still losing 19,000g per stack if you farm your own threads because you could have sold the cloth instead of crafting it into ribbons for npc sale. Oh, and good luck trying to sell them on the lolAH. If you burn through 10 stacks of those, you do the math, not to mention your breaks. Though, if you do cloth to 54 and get adv support, you're within the 5-level limit to get skillups on breaks, which is a good goal.

I'm going to avoid the silk cloth > ribbon route though, even though every guide seems to suggest it. If crafting is a loss for the most part, then it makes sense to minimize loss. I don't believe 200,000g is the floor for loss to get to 60.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-04 14:24:35  
50-52 Insect Fletchings
52-54 Silk Cloth (Save for Green Ribbons)
54-60 Green Ribbon

This is probably the cheapest way to get from 50-60 and the route I took. I farmed a lot of silk threads while camping Mee Deggi. The crawlers in that area have a decent drop rate.
 Kujata.Nanyo
サーバ: Kujata
user: Nanyo
By Kujata.Nanyo 2009-03-04 14:28:25  
If you take your goldsmithing up about 20 more Lvs you could do Gold Thread @.@

You'll need to LV Goldsmithing as a sub someday eventualy right? (Afterthat, probably hunter's cloth or something >.> but omg I refuse to do Green ribbon)
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-04 15:55:27  
For as much hate as people have expressed here, what would craft instead of ribbons?

Taking a loss does suck, but you have to look at it as paying tuition to learn your trade.

Check the recipes at that range, there isn't anything you can make that's easier than the green ribbon. 90% of the synths are compound, requiring multiple materials.

When I leveled at this range I farmed money to pay for the mats. You're better off approaching it that way. Farming silk itself really isn't worth it unless you're a thf main and can get it to drop on a fairly consistent basis.

In the alternative I reccommend stalking the Guild Shop and synthing silk thread from the cocoons they have for sale AS LONG AS you're paying < 800 gil per. Obviously buy as cheap as you can. However work the math out, as long as your real cost is < than what you could make in the time spent and < than what the AH cost is, buy the cocoons.

For the people suggesting making gold thread to get you to 58. Don't bother unless you're really near the cap on GS. Moreover don't bother with it unless you have the +1% ring and/or the CC sunglasses. A break on that synth really hurts the wallet especially when a stack of ingots is 225k+/ a single ingot 18-20k.
 Odin.Khimeria
サーバ: Odin
user: khimeria
By Odin.Khimeria 2009-03-04 16:11:10  
Tbh this stretch sucks, i think i've just blown 300k on getting through the green ribbon/silk ribbon stretch (55-66). Once your through there though it doesn't look too bad until the mid to late 80s. If i were you i'd start Black Chocobo fletchings asap because (on odin) they sell for about 6k a stack and the fletching sell for about 26k, a slight profit/negligable loss synth. Much nicer.

Oh and only a tard buys their cloth ready made for this stretch, buy the thread and synth it into cloth yourself, saves about 10k loss per 12 synths, this stretch blows but just tough it out and it'll be over soon enough.
 Asura.Malekith
By Asura.Malekith 2009-03-04 16:20:41  
Hey Khim don't knock people buying the cloth... Everyone's situation is different.

Back when a stack of silk cloth was 40k, I could live with that. Now that it's closer to 60k forget it!

Remember Econ 101, not all costs are monetary!

You can't discount the opportunity cost incurred from synthing cocoons into silk and those into cloth.

All us CC'ers are striking a balancing act between the AH cost of these mats vs. making them, in which case you have to decide how much time you have and what value you place on that time?

Everyone has a different flinch point with respect to both costs and what they find reasonable or not.
 Leviathan.Xayla
サーバ: Leviathan
user: xayla
By Leviathan.Xayla 2009-03-14 06:54:06  
People don't always seem to understand that you do not need to make money every second of this game...
ok, you farm and SAVE money, but you don't make money because you craft instead of AH... so what if that was the freakin point to begin with? to skill up, NOT make money... sheesh. if you have the time to farm, cool. you're not out anything but time and possibly crystals if you don't farm those either.

*rolls eyes* if you have the time, then farming to reduce cost is best, then it doesn't really matter what it sells for to npc or ah