Tank/DD with Blade: Hi: Gnarled Horn, RR, Dark Depths
Tank/DD no Blade: Hi: Gnarled Horn, RR, VV
Atma of the Apocalypse is better.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-01-03 14:19:08  
Apocalypse. For DD purposes, it's easily the second most powerful atma NIN has available (after RR). RR+AoA+GH/VV would be my default setup, choosing GH or VV depending on my needs (read: do I need regain for !! procs or am I focusing on tanking/damage). Other atmas like C&D or SS obviously have their place too.
 Bismarck.Rinomaru
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Rinomaru 2011-01-03 14:25:53  
/rage
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2011-01-03 14:47:48  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Apocalypse. For DD purposes, it's easily the second most powerful atma NIN has available (after RR). RR+AoA+GH/VV would be my default setup, choosing GH or VV depending on my needs (read: do I need regain for !! procs or am I focusing on tanking/damage). Other atmas like C&D or SS obviously have their place too.

vv's regain is hardly necessary for any type of weakness trigger tbh, blast a stalwart's and have at it

but yea, rr/gh/apoc to the fifth *** power
[+]
 Ragnarok.Tomtomz
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: tomtomz
By Ragnarok.Tomtomz 2011-01-03 18:03:36  
Bismarck.Snprphnx said:
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Walk of Echoes is ghey

Kannagi or go home.

Seriously. I'm 1/50 helm and 10/50 skins. When I get serious I bet it wouldn't take me more then a week to finish.

it wont. we are doing leaders now, 3 nights of helms and 2 nights so far of skins. should finish it tonight

Not to derail or anything, but what setup are you using to farm these nms?
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-03 18:14:12  
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Walk of Echoes is ghey
Kannagi or go home. Seriously.

I'm 1/50 helm and 10/50 skins. When I get serious I bet it wouldn't take me more then a week to finish.
I'll help you with that if you help with mine!!!
 Asura.Echandra
サーバ: Asura
user: Echandra
By Asura.Echandra 2011-01-04 19:46:25  
Ragnarok.Tomtomz said:
Bismarck.Snprphnx said:
Bahamut.Kaioshin said:
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Walk of Echoes is ghey

Kannagi or go home.

Seriously. I'm 1/50 helm and 10/50 skins. When I get serious I bet it wouldn't take me more then a week to finish.

it wont. we are doing leaders now, 3 nights of helms and 2 nights so far of skins. should finish it tonight

Not to derail or anything, but what setup are you using to farm these nms?

When I farmed my kannagi base group was a NIN, WAR, THF, RDM, WHM, BLM. pop, proc, lootwhore trophy, rinse and repeat. Other jobs jumped in as needed, but that setup will pretty much cover anything you need.
 Asura.Macone
user: Macten
By Asura.Macone 2011-01-05 04:54:04  
Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Asura.Macone said:

Tank/DD with Blade: Hi: Gnarled Horn, RR, Dark Depths
Tank/DD no Blade: Hi: Gnarled Horn, RR, VV
Atma of the Apocalypse is better.

Apoc is great and I do use it for certain fights but disagree that it is flat out better then Dark Depths. Having the extra evasion is nice and the AGI for Hi even though its only 20 doesn't hurt. It also makes it so my crit rate have a base of 70% just from atmas which basically makes me crit non stop.

Regardless I personally haven't used it enough to deny that its better. It seems like a lot of people are favoring Apoc though so I will switch over to it for the next couple of weeks and parse it.
 Sylph.Gredival
サーバ: Sylph
user: Gredival
By Sylph.Gredival 2011-01-05 05:40:53  
Asura.Macone said:
so my crit rate have a base of 70% just from atmas which basically makes me crit non stop.

iirc Kirschy's testing showed that Atma crit rate collectively caps at 50%

It's like haste. There are sub-caps on how much you can get from different sources,

EDIT: My mistake. 50% was an assumed cap because parsed crit rate was the same between RR+DD and RR+GH, even though one was described as major and the other minor. In fact they both have the same % effect despite the translation.
 Asura.Macone
user: Macten
By Asura.Macone 2011-01-05 07:24:23  
Sylph.Gredival said:
Asura.Macone said:
so my crit rate have a base of 70% just from atmas which basically makes me crit non stop.

iirc Kirschy's testing showed that Atma crit rate collectively caps at 50%

It's like haste. There are sub-caps on how much you can get from different sources,

Pulled from BG Forums: "Atma Effects & Discussion" Thread

Malacite said:
Wasn't there a 50% cap on +crit rate gained from Atmas? The over-all cap is 95% but I thought Kirschy (or someone in that thread) found that +crit from atma caps. In which case Dark Depths is pointless.

Gabai said:
no, there is no cap from atma, there was just some confusion as to how much certain atmas gave

NynJa said:
It was later determined to be reduced to 95% I thought from a ninjapatch?

Kirschy said:
My test sample was so small it's hard to tell if it was a ninja patch or not. (80/80 hits @ 100% crit rate or something.) Doesn't realli matter since we know it's 95% now~

I have also done tests where my crit rate was way higher then it should have been if you are going by the 50% cap rule.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-01-05 07:27:25  
Crit hit DAMAGE+ caps at +50%, not crit rate
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-05 07:30:32  
Kvazz caps at 50%
 Bahamut.Striker
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Striker 2011-01-05 22:56:35  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
It was pinned down on BG recently after it was out and it's potent! I can't remember the exact formula but it's something like dAGI = 75 is the cap and with this you feed zero TP to the mob, or something incredibly minor like that.

I know I went and threw myself at a Minhocao yesterday on NIN/WAR for shits and giggles with 3x Furtherance and Gnarled Horn and the first TP move was at 33%.
Just solo'd Minhocao, only store TP I had on my gearset was Rajas Ring, 33 in AGI, and capped subtle blow merits on NIN. In Abyssea Tahrongi with Razed Ruins, Gnarled Horn, and Kirin for extra agi I had a total of +153. Kept Yurin up on the mob, somehow forgot tools for myoshu, along with paralyze and kurayami, the mob never hit me during the fight and here's how it went. First TP move was at 82% Gorge for 1k dmg. Twilight knife was draining anywhere from 0-2 tp though whether or not we know if this actually drains tp from the mob or gives it to the user is unknown. Second tp move was at 60% Gorge for 2k dmg, followed by 3rd at 40, and a 4th at 25% for 2500 leaving me with 20 hp (Thank you HP merits). Didn't use any WS during the fight for fear of feeding it extra tp, Disgorge was avoided by standing behind the worm and inside the model, it never turned to me. Concerned about this new AGI subtle blow thing since the mob still used tp moves generously, about 1 per 10% w/ gorge/disgorge and only drained my buffs once.