Usefulness In Devotion Still?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Usefulness in Devotion still?
Usefulness in Devotion still?
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-11-19 18:28:32  
I still only have 3/5 Shell and 5/5 Devotion! This should prolly change soon but I really like that 10 min timer.

Well that and merits are so hard to come by now..
 Fenrir.Snick
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-11-19 18:39:30  
Leviathan.Cymmina said:
Fenrir.Snick said:
Martyr is not *** useful for a "sticky situation". Cure 6 takes 1 *** second to cast if you aren't a shitty WHM

And if you're having MP problems you fall under shitty WHM too.

Athamas: Sickle Slash, Draw In, Silencega = perfect time for Martyr

Situations like that are rare, but taking the time to eat echo drops when your tank desperately needs a cure is going to get your tank killed. Athamas decided my final group 2 merit for me.
Utsusemi...? Really hope you're trolling, cause you got me.

Not that Sickle Slash is even that dangerous without shadows. In Abyssea DD have so much HP you will pretty much always have the 1 second to pop an Echo and C6 anyways~
 Ramuh.Lorzy
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2010-11-19 19:05:15  
does silencega cast that fast without addle? i've never done this fight on whm instead of rdm, but i didn't find it hard to run out of range of silencega.
By Aerytrea 2010-11-19 19:51:42  
Forget it. All you who are disputing what I'm saying probably only break out your rusty old white mages when your ls needs it. Probably not full time white mages, so I'll forgive you for your incompetence and inability to understand. Good luck to y'all.
By Aerytrea 2010-11-19 19:57:33  
Oh yeah, and Snick... You're an absolute *** moron. You cannot be white mage....just can't be if you can't think of a situation where Martyr would work. See Cymmina's post for an example. I don't have the time to waste making one up for you. Lol @ shitty white mage. You're absolutely clueless. I feel so sorry for you, that's how clueless you are. hahahaha Thanks for the laugh anyway Snick.
サーバ: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-11-19 20:00:59  
Another typical thread where everyone thinks they are better then everyone else... sigh.
[+]
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-11-19 20:13:17  
hmmmm.. my 2 cents

group 1 .. cap barspells and cure cast time

group 2.. cap shellra V

devotion / martyr / protect V are the other options for group 2 whm merits..

none of them seem terribly game changing with all the new abyssea atma's and what not.

Id still probably stick with devotion for stuff outside of abyssea maybe walk of echoes.. but thats like 5% of what everybody does.. (and refresh 2 ballad 3 shouldn't be hurting mp either way)

(maybe merit all 3 for justice :o)
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-11-19 20:54:05  
Aerytrea said:
Oh yeah, and Snick... You're an absolute *** moron. You cannot be white mage....just can't be if you can't think of a situation where Martyr would work. See Cymmina's post for an example. I don't have the time to waste making one up for you. Lol @ shitty white mage. You're absolutely clueless. I feel so sorry for you, that's how clueless you are. hahahaha Thanks for the laugh anyway Snick.
lol
 Valefor.Lohn
サーバ: Valefor
user: Lohn
By Valefor.Lohn 2010-11-19 23:54:08  
I probably use Martyr about once a year, but after reading this enlightening derailment I am going to use nothing but.

You can look forward to it, Prothescar!
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2010-11-19 23:55:00  
That's ok. *** shellra V. Martyr decreases magic damage by however the *** much you heal me for!!1
 Fenrir.Snick
By Fenrir.Snick 2010-11-20 00:06:12  
Valefor.Prothescar said:
That's ok. *** shellra V. Martyr decreases magic damage by however the *** much you heal me for!!1
I love you.
 Valefor.Lohn
By Valefor.Lohn 2010-11-20 00:11:08  
Aerytrea said:
Don't forget you can get the shell side of it by meriting your bar spell effect as well.

You do realize that your bar spell is only going to help with that one element, right? There are plenty of situations where a mob/NM uses multiple elements that you're not going to be able to cover. Etc etc etc. Bar spell =/= Shellra V. Its also fairly retardiculous to justify meriting bar spells with out seeing the benefit of nearly 28% MDT.

Oh, and WHM is my main!

Caitsith.Judaine
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Judaine
By Caitsith.Judaine 2010-11-20 00:22:18  
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
With Abyssea, do you guys ever use devotion anymore? I was thinking of changing them to 5x Protectra 5 ._.; at least get something out of the merits.
So yea this thread was tl and I dr, but here:

No, Protectra V 1, Shellra V 5, Devotion 4 FOR NOW.

Why did I say for now? Because more than likely with the new "lv99 merits" there will be Protectra and Shellra 6, so once those come out, you'll probably be able to strike out pro/shellra5 and put full devotion and martyr (I know, I know, but Martyr is an awesome last resort).

You'll definitely want to keep devotion because it's useful for almost any job that uses MP. Devotion a BLM when you're fighting an NM to keep things going, Devotion a PLD when he/she is low on MP and is tanking an NM, Devotion a WHM, RDM, SCH, BLU, whatever.

Devotion is probably the most useful Job Ability other than Divine Seal that we get.

If you have 1300 Max HP in Abyssea with the stat boost, that's 1300/4 = 325MP that you're giving somebody, and it'll take ON AVERAGE a Cure 3 and a Cure 2 to fully restore your HP which costs 60 MP.

Why WOULDN'T you merit Devotion?
 Valefor.Lohn
By Valefor.Lohn 2010-11-20 00:27:49  
Caitsith.Judaine said:

Why did I say for now? Because more than likely with the new "lv99 merits" there will be Protectra and Shellra 6,

I don't appreciate all this logic you are throwing around!
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-11-20 00:28:52  
Valefor.Lohn said:
Aerytrea said:
Don't forget you can get the shell side of it by meriting your bar spell effect as well.

You do realize that your bar spell is only going to help with that one element, right? There are plenty of situations where a mob/NM uses multiple elements that you're not going to be able to cover. Etc etc etc. Bar spell =/= Shellra V. Its also fairly retardiculous to justify meriting bar spells with out seeing the benefit of nearly 28% MDT.

Oh, and WHM is my main!

Also, barspells add resist and MDB rather than MDT.
 Kur
By Kur 2010-11-27 10:32:47  
My merits used to be 5/5 shell, 1/5 protect, 1/5 martyr, 3/5 devotion.

When in sky and someone, somehow aggro'd something.. And I'm surrounded by magic aggro mobs, I used to use martyr all the time. This allowed time for other people to catch up/come back and kill or what have you.

Now I'm 5/5 devotion and 5/5 shell. I do still use devotion in abyssea for many of the mention uses noted in some of the posts

I <3 all the I'm right - you're wrong people. It's all just opinion, and some helpful knowledge on what does what. The name calling and bickering (which I know is everywhere) is just so jeuvenile.

Good Luck on whatever you decide. I've seen some good advice here.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2010-11-27 12:21:24  
Wow, talk about coming late to the discussion =p

I think, like most things in the game, the stuffs situational at best.

Currently, I run

1/5 Martyr
4/5 Devotion
5/5 Shellra V

I participate in events outside of Abyssea such as Dynamis and Einherjar, so Devotion still sees quite some action from me. With level cap increase, it's not as useful, but it still sees action. Pick-up EXP groups for Abyssea sees me using Devotion too sometimes, depending on the alliance composition and how far the people in the party have progressed into Abyssea (progress is most likely the incorrect word, but it gets the point across).

Martyr still sees a ton of use from me, probably more than Devotion, actually, lately. As a Galka in Abyssea, the size of the cure I can toss out with this JA is immense. Additionally, I have yet to acquire the fast cast gear or potency sets to hit caps (sitting at around 10% fast cast and 37% potency right now), so Martyr is an incredible "O SNAP" button for me. However, if I need to use it more than once every 20 minutes, I feel something is up, so I'm perfectly content leaving it at a single merit.

Again, stuffs situational. Abyssea has made meriting quite easy now. Go ahead and play around with the merits until you find one that's just right for you.
 Diabolos.Bubbly
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Bubbly
By Diabolos.Bubbly 2010-11-29 22:46:38  
I just got WHM to 85 a few days ago. I'm torn over what to put in for group 1 merits. I've decided to go 5/5 Cure casting time merits, and I can't choose whether I want to go 5/5 Regen or 5/5 Barspell. Any opinions?
 Sylph.Alesis
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Alesis 2010-11-29 22:48:41  
I use devotion all the time in abyssea, not everyone has the Refresh atmas, its nice also for Blu's trying to proc on spells that cost at ton of MP. :)
[+]
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2010-11-29 22:49:29  
Diabolos.Bubbly said:
I just got WHM to 85 a few days ago. I'm torn over what to put in for group 1 merits. I've decided to go 5/5 Cure casting time merits, and I can't choose whether I want to go 5/5 Regen or 5/5 Barspell. Any opinions?

Barspell
 Ramuh.Lilsanchez
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Lilsanchez 2010-11-29 23:26:06  
when im on DRK, WHMs like to use devotion on me. I burn through my MP like no tomorrow.

thank you WHMs!