Guide For Upgrading AF (NIN)

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » Guide for upgrading AF (NIN)
Guide for upgrading AF (NIN)
 Ramuh.Aramachus
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2011-01-04 03:52:29  
Im really interested in kannagi so I started farming pop sets for briareus solo and there are a few problems I dont see how it can be soloed efficiently, maybe you guys can help me out:

1. I went farming the pop item for the 3 gigas NMs since I dont want to spend 30k each. first one dropped after 5 min (shield) 2nd one took an hour to drop (armband) 3rd one took half an hour. Im using 2x sekka+1 which is maybe not the best but definitely not the worst damage output. nin90/dnc45, razed ruins and cloak/dagger atmas (only 2 atmas so far) (I tried stout arm instead of cloak and dagger but didnt make much difference so I thought Id go with more eva so I need less tp for curing). Did I just get unlucky? wiki says 25% dropchance on armband and 15% on the standard gigas necklace, I had 6 or 7 necklace before the 1st armband dropped. I assume wiki is wrong, that would be a whole lot of bad luck there. any experiences?

2. and the biggest problem really. soloing a NM on nin isnt much trouble, triggering red !! however is. I can use gkatana, dagger and katana ws which covers just 5/13 ws so Ill trigger weakness on an average every 1 in 3 tries. can get lucky and get the KI still although low chance, that would make it not 3 NM kills to get the briareus pop set but 7-9 NM kills including farming the pop items or paying 200k-300k for pop items to get to one briareus which isnt an option looking at 50 helmets to get.

sure I can duo but the friends I play with are not always on when I am and vice versa and of course couldnt always just farm for my helmets only, they want stuff too. How can I solo a briareus pop set efficiently? My answer would be none but I hear ppl saying here they did the whole 50 helmets in a few days. How do you do that?

Another question I have is sobek, even with level increase towards 99 he wont be soloable because of his tyrant tusk death effect I assume. I have not fought him yet although having a pop set. How many ppl would you recommend minimum and what jobs?
 Lakshmi.Dkbutterflavah
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Dkbutterflavah 2011-01-04 04:18:53  
ok first of all, getting Atma of Discernment and shinryu access will make your life much easier.

3 atmas will make things WHOLE lot easier for you.

for myself, I dual-boxed the nm with a whm character so I guess my situation was a little different from yours, and since I was dual-boxing, I was on nin/war which allowed me to use 10/13 Ws to trigger "red" and get the KIs very very quickly. For your case, I'd suggest perhaps starting a static with a different player who can help you out, (a whm would do the trick imo).

For Sobek, tyrant tusk can one shot you but you can drastically decrease that chance by equipping right equipment and atma (Shadow ring~) and atma of Einhejar (Resistance against death: Superior). However, because it's not immunity against death, there is a low but a chance that you might die from tyrant tusk. (I have died twice during my 50 sobek skin kills due to tyrant tusk: Atmas I use are RR, Apoc, and einhejar for Sobek). Great thing about Sobek is its possibility of dropping af3+2 upgradable items... stones of balance (I think.. can't remember.. been awhile since upgraded my pants), is the upgrade item for Ninjas so having a ninja to back you up from your linkshell really shouldn't be much of a problem (I just got really lucky with awesome LS mates "Thanks Wyatt, Andrea and bunch of others from Anduril <3 you"). Claiming Gukumatz will be the only real issue you will have so, don't worry too much and get started. Thinking and preparation will not get you through that door to Kannagi, you have to start and try to find your own way.

Trust me and it's completely worth it... (I'm currently at a spa resort with my wife but wishing I could be back home staring at my kannagi and blasting out 4k Blade: hi T_T).

Anyways, enough chatter from me.. good luck !
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2011-01-04 04:21:45  
TBH I dont think there is an efficient way of soloing them, your best bet would be to find a buddy looking for GK/GS/Gun and team up with them. If you feel really confident in yourself for stunning and keeping shadows up you can go nin/drk and this adds sword and club triggers to you with out loseing your stun though this would most likely require temp items for heals/mp...

If you have a day where you have alot of time you could also get a party out there to get your lights caped and then leave once you have some good time built. That way while farming the pops you might get a KI drop in chest and keep your TE flowing.

Unrelated to the post above...
I was wondering how nins went about soloing ketea, I tryed a little ways back and his spikes ripped me up pritty good and the para kept me from stunning -gas reliably. Since he absorbs magic during the closed mouth which is when the spikes are wheel spinning isnt an option for then or am i just missing something?
 Lakshmi.Dkbutterflavah
By Lakshmi.Dkbutterflavah 2011-01-04 04:34:36  
I think someone might have pmed me about that but I was a bit busy to reply to that... but my response would be that I guess I did not "solo" Ketea since I have a whm character that I take everywhere to kill everything with me... (dual boxing)...

but yeah, nuking it seem like a VERY VERY inefficient way to kill it since I did not see it open its mouth for very long at all (I believe it only opens its mouth when it's casting...) If you're on nin/dnc, I'd advise you to go all evasion equip (yes sekka +2 x2), since that's what I used for my kills, but that's about the best advise I can give as for now. Happy huntings~
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2011-01-04 04:48:12  
Ahh ok thanks, thinking about trying him with that occ absorbs ice damage ammo peice + an atma(s) with magic blocking type effects... If I ever get around to it will post here about it.
 Ramuh.Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2011-01-04 04:53:04  
Wow thank you for the fast answers :)

That makes things much easier really, actually I can duo and even 2box with a whm (my girlfriend), when I was saying duo I in fact meant duo with a war for all ws access, I should have explained that better. I like being 90% of time nin/dnc for getting rid of silence and access to curing waltz and stuns, I just like to be able to rely on myself rather than others to get silence off me for example, so I just forgot about I could /war to get access to the ws myself when being supported. I was just being stupid ><
I dont have atma of the einherjar access but I have the cloak and dagger atma which does give death resistance major I think, thats at least something. Its nice to see that these "increase resistance" effects from atma have a good proc chance. unlike the job traits. but for now its briareus for me! Im 90% of my ff time on nin and running around solo/duo/trio so kannagi would be just perfect in every aspect.
Im lucky my ls does caturae so I should have that abyssite of discernment soon.
thanks for the advice, have fun at the spa ;)
 Ramuh.Lorzy
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-01-04 05:22:15  
Ramuh.Aramachus said:

drop rate on key items also isn't too bad if you don't manage to proc red (maybe 50%?). you might want th for briareus for the helms. and for sobek people will probably help in return for af3+2 items.
 Ramuh.Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2011-01-04 05:35:14  
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Ramuh.Aramachus said:
drop rate on key items also isn't too bad if you don't manage to proc red (maybe 50%?). you might want th for briareus for the helms. and for sobek people will probably help in return for af3+2 items.

thats what I thought too but I went 0/5 on baba yaga so I started looking up on wiki to have a reference. Although abyssean droprates in wiki are everything but accurate due to some ppl triggering weakness, some not and still everyone posting their drop/not drop there, it still works as an estimate. I went 1/1 on gukumatz key item, 1/1 on sirrush, no idea what wiki says about them but either I got lucky or their (maybe the scars/heroes monsters?) dropchance is pretty high. however the 1st expansion where you dont farm KIs for upgrading af3 mainly, might have a worse droprate. wiki says around 10%-20% for most mobs.
at least thats an idea, it is very possible that the dropchance of KIs amongst mobs varies a lot from 10% up to 90% maybe. Yet Im pretty sure it isnt a reasonable chance (30%+) on every mob.
It is possible that it is related to the amount of KIs required to get to the final mob. for example monk? or whoever needs chloris buds have a much much tougher way to go to get 50 chloris buds since its a lot more mobs to fight to get the chloris trigger. carabosse is only 2. maybe the whole chloris path drops KIs more frequently than the carabosse path. would make sense somehow so ppl needing chloris buds arent just in a huge disadvantage over the carabosse ones as it seems to be. Just another theory.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-01-04 05:40:18  
Ramuh.Aramachus said:
Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Ramuh.Aramachus said:

thats what I thought too but I went 0/5 on baba yaga so I started looking up on wiki to have a reference. Although abyssean droprates in wiki are everything but accurate due to some ppl triggering weakness, some not and still everyone posting their drop/not drop there, it still works as an estimate. I went 1/1 on gukumatz key item, 1/1 on sirrush, no idea what wiki says about them but either I got lucky or their (maybe the scars/heroes monsters?) dropchance is pretty high. however the 1st expansion where you dont farm KIs for upgrading af3 mainly, might have a worse droprate. wiki says around 10%-20% for most mobs.
at least thats an idea, it is very possible that the dropchance of KIs amongst mobs varies a lot from 10% up to 90% maybe. Yet Im pretty sure it isnt a reasonable chance (30%+) on every mob.
It is possible that it is related to the amount of KIs required to get to the final mob. for example monk? or whoever needs chloris buds have a much much tougher way to go to get 50 chloris buds since its a lot more mobs to fight to get the chloris trigger. carabosse is only 2. maybe the whole chloris path drops KIs more frequently than the carabosse path. would make sense somehow so ppl needing chloris buds arent just in a huge disadvantage over the carabosse ones as it seems to be. Just another theory.

i think they might have upped the drop rate of key items recently. i thought i heard something about that, but i could be wrong. but i've been soloing and duoing briareus pops, and about half the time when we don't proc red, it still drops.
 Asura.Ina
By Asura.Ina 2011-01-04 05:44:42  
In my experiences its 1/4-1/3 with out red but don't have any large ammounts of data.
 Cerberus.Nequito
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Fayt1215
By Cerberus.Nequito 2011-01-04 06:46:27  
Lakshmi.Dkbutterflavah said:
I think someone might have pmed me about that but I was a bit busy to reply to that... but my response would be that I guess I did not "solo" Ketea since I have a whm character that I take everywhere to kill everything with me... (dual boxing)... but yeah, nuking it seem like a VERY VERY inefficient way to kill it since I did not see it open its mouth for very long at all (I believe it only opens its mouth when it's casting...) If you're on nin/dnc, I'd advise you to go all evasion equip (yes sekka +2 x2), since that's what I used for my kills, but that's about the best advise I can give as for now. Happy huntings~

That was me, after reading the post about soloing Ketea I went and attempted it and was pretty succesful until I got caught with shadows down once and thats all it took. Good to know you were dual boxing now I can stop going and trying solo besides I already have +2. Enjoy the spa ^ ^
 Ramuh.Aramachus
By Ramuh.Aramachus 2011-01-08 10:46:25  
would be awesome if they increase the droprate on key items without red proc. Ive been slowly but steadily working on the whole thing, gettking Gkatana skill up and all, farming several sets of the pop items for grandgousier, pantagruel and adamastor and today did first try on them. I was being catious and went with VV and cloak/dagger atma for regain and eva but Ill definitely go with VV/RR next time.
me on nin/dnc and my gf on rdm/war were able to trigger 8/13 ws so far. I do 5 - katana, gkatana, dagger while she does 3 - sword, club. we could get the staff ws but her war isnt up to date.

I got a question on the remaining 4 weaponskills which are freezebite, raiden thrust, shadow of death and sunburst. sunburst is war51 so with /war cant get it. I guess Ill have to take that.
is there any great sword/scythe/polearm that all jobs can equip? Ive seen there is the event item pitchfork we could try, /war provides sufficient skill and rdm can equip it. but I have not found any great sword or scythe, however lists on wiki are all but complete recently and maybe I have missed something.
my gf has rdm and whm (would get sunburst on whm but losing the sword ws since whm cant equip swords unless theres some event sword I missed), what would be the best job/subjob combination for us to get the highest number of red weakness proc weaponskills?

NMs went fine, got red on grandgousier and adamastor, however pantagruel didnt proc red and his ice spikes are such a pain in the ***. Killed him eventually but didnt get the key item
 Lakshmi.Dkbutterflavah
By Lakshmi.Dkbutterflavah 2011-01-09 08:32:13  
for pole arm (except as mentioned pitch fork), GS, and Scythe

you're SOL as was I unless you could bring a war friend.

nin/war + war can cover all the red triggers, but with your set up it's impossible. I'd suggest going nin/war + rdm/whm next time, because nin/dnc + rdm/war doesn't seem like the most efficient... combination imo.... really.. Briareus really isn't hard as long as you're paying attention to its mercurial strike or whatever its tp is called and how much your hp decreases by.

For Key item nms, you just have to grind it out, I know it's painful but it's all worth it in the end. It took me a total of two weeks I believe to finish the Briareus part all by myself and 3 days to finish Sobek skin part. (yup 3 days and was at 46/50 on the 2nd day).

So, if anything i'd suggest changing your sub and getting your 3rd atma and discern your #1 priority. It REALLY does accelerate the speed of your upgrading process by a lot. Few of my friends and I were able to finish my friend's carabose stage for his gun in few hours (from 35 - 50 with him dropping 2 gems by accident). GL and happy hunting