A Stealing Megamaw Mikey Question.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » NMs » A Stealing Megamaw Mikey Question.
A Stealing Megamaw Mikey Question.
 Bahamut.Bojack
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-08-22 11:55:50  
So, would you steal this NM from someone who was doing perfectly fine soloing it when it turned yellow for just a split second? Or, would you not be a *** and think to yourself 'if it goes bad and they die, then I'll claim it'?

Was out there today and there was three people fighting this. A couple bad spells had them in a bad way, RDM died and the SMN and BLM were both at 25% or less. It turn yellow for a second and I COULD have taken it, but I didn't because as far as the NM is concerned I feel it still belonged to them so I said to myself 'I'll grab it if they die'. They did end up all being dead at the same time so I grabbed it at about 45%. One of them left and the other 2 were weakened rest there. at 18% they moved up and waited. I was casting Stoneskin and right at the end of the cast it turned white a second and the grabbed it before I could cast on it. I know the whole 'yellow is free game' crap, but still, morally/ethically it's a *** move.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: niktod
By Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook 2010-08-22 12:00:35  
Bahamut.Bojack said:

I know the whole 'yellow is free game' crap, but still, morally/ethically it's a *** move.

It comes down to "know your server's tightest ***" and do to them what they would do to you, and do to the rest of the server what you would want them to do to you.

"Yellow sure is free" but when it turns yellow because SE poorly designed the game its a plain *** move as you said (pointing more to BST solos).
By Teysa 2010-08-22 12:02:31  
I had him down to 40%ish solon on my blm, a ls came over and when he turned yellow for a sec stole from me, that ***pisses me off.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-08-22 12:04:37  
Yeah, unless the people fighting it are dead or have clearly given up, it's stealing imo. I won't touch an NM just because it turns yellow, but if the people fighting it wipe, it's a different story.
 Siren.Itachi
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Itachi 2010-08-22 12:08:19  
Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook said:

"Yellow sure is free" but when it turns yellow because SE poorly designed the game its a plain *** move as you said (pointing more to BST solos).
I've lost so many Despots(Bst solo) because of dickweed linkshells.
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-08-22 12:08:48  
Me and a friend were in there not too long ago. I was on my way to the worm, and saw a sch dead near worms. I assumed he died fighting the NM. I raised him, did some happy emotes, and went to go claim the NM myself. (didn't even get a thank you from the dead sch by the way)

So me on blm/sch, friend on drk/sch, we get it to about 15%, and I see it turn yellow for a split second, then purple. It had bio, burn, shock, and choke on it when it went yellow.

I was like ... :|

Guess who stole it... yup, the sch and 4 of his friends that he called in because he was too friggen HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE to solo it himself. So yeah, that was a *** move on his part. The NM was 100% when we claimed.

If a mob turns yellow for a split second, I won't claim. If they are wiping with no possible hope of coming back, I will. And most people understand that. Though some think this game is built around them, and the other people playing aren't "real people".

/end rant ^^
 Carbuncle.Axle
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-08-22 12:09:24  
/attack doesn't help with keeping claim?
Always worked for me.
Or does this NM drop hate?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-08-22 12:09:27  
Not taking if it unclaims. Will take if you wipe, will take if you've left it unclaimed so long that it's regenning, but otherwise I'll let you fight until the end.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-08-22 12:10:21  
Carbuncle.Axle said:
/attack doesn't help with keeping claim?
Always worked for me.
Or does this NM drop hate?

The NM seems to randomly drop hate even when you're actively nuking it. I don't really get it myself :\
 Phoenix.Elaenia
サーバ: Phoenix
user: izzlet
By Phoenix.Elaenia 2010-08-22 12:11:40  
you can't really blame them for wanting to take back what they had claimed first if they had had a chance to recover. it's not really a "*** move" on their part imo. i know you can look at it as they died, so they should step off, but if you were in the same position as they were you'd probably be tempted to take your nm back as well. if they were laying there dead without any reraise or anything, like what happened to chupacabra, that is a *** move in my opinion, but yeah.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook
By Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook 2010-08-22 12:14:07  
Phoenix.Elaenia said:
you can't really blame them for wanting to take back what they had claimed first. it's not really a "*** move" on their part imo. i know you can look at it as they died, so they should step off, but if you were in the same position as they were you'd probably be tempted to take your nm back as well.

Tempted? i definitely would and i dare anyone to say otherwise, but only a handfull of *** would actually do it. Especially wouldnt take it from the peep that was kind enough to raise me.
 Phoenix.Elaenia
サーバ: Phoenix
user: izzlet
By Phoenix.Elaenia 2010-08-22 12:16:46  
Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook said:
Phoenix.Elaenia said:
you can't really blame them for wanting to take back what they had claimed first. it's not really a "*** move" on their part imo. i know you can look at it as they died, so they should step off, but if you were in the same position as they were you'd probably be tempted to take your nm back as well.

Tempted? i definitely would and i dare anyone to say otherwise, but only a handfull of *** would actually do it. Especially wouldnt take it from the peep that was kind enough to raise me.

yeah i edited it to clarify a little bit, if you had raised them i'd say it's an assholeish thing to do, but if they're weakened with a chance of recovery and you run in and grab it i don't see it as a *** move if they take it back. but that is just my opinion~
 Fenrir.Rinnsi
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Rinnsi
By Fenrir.Rinnsi 2010-08-22 12:20:08  
Many many years ago back on bahamut, i was fighting Fafnir, it went yellow, and someone from a different shell casted DIa on it... fafnir procceded to wipe our entire group becuase we couldn't touch it..yes, taking something if it becomes yellow, is a huge *** move
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-08-22 12:21:23  
Boring anecdote time!

Reminds me of the time I was doing Carmine Dobsondicks (went about 1/30+ on Sallet fyi) with BLM and me on RDM just raising them every time. Some random JP came in and tried to take a fly of ours at low %. He failed, died, asked for a Raise, so we gave it him. He bowed and warped out.

When there were only two left, he came back with about 3 other JPs and told us to {Leave}. When we said no he asked us if we could just take one each and he would take the high HP% one (we had one about 30%~). We agreed since there was no point arguing.

Predictably, when it dropped to 5% or so and I was just raising the BLM for our final volley on it, the JP tried to steal. His first cast was outranged and I barely managed to Chainspell nuke it before he claimed it and got the Sallet.

The JP threatened to call a GM on me for stealing his mob <_<

End of boring anecdote. Basically, people are ***. That said, I try not to be a ***. If I've wiped to something fairly, it's all yours. If I've wiped to something because you were deliberately lagging me out, getting in my kite path deliberately, etc etc then I will try to take it back.

Don't be an *** to me and I won't be to you!
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-08-22 12:22:09  
Yeah... That was my main issue. I raised him... I claimed at 100%. I never took anything from him. Yet he stole it from us without a moment of hesitation. That was what made it a *** move.

I wouldn't mind if they wiped and I took it at 45% and they claimed it back from me. That's fair. It's kinda sucky, sure. But it's fair.

I have watched NMs go unclaimed and people freak out casting as fast as they can thinking I'm going to steal it and end up messing up... I usually give those people a second chance and raise them if we're the only ones there.

Had a JP guy once invite me after I raised him and we fought and won together. Then he told me to cast lots. We bid against each other. He won, but it was still incredibly fair of him to do that. Wish more people would do stuff like that.
 Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook
By Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook 2010-08-22 12:25:41  
Tho you also cant forget that FFXI *is actually a game* and different ppl play it for different reasons. For the people that played lets say counter-strike, "AWP ***" should ring a bell, i mean yeah your a camping *** head with no actual skill, but thats where you get your kicks out of the game. Same thing applies to FFXI, if your whole objective is just to be competitive all around where the end justifies the means you wouldnt be able to see the wrong that you are doing based on the community made ethic rules by taking whatever is yellow even for a split second. I get mad kicks from killing someone that is charmed in dynamis, some people that get killed burst out laughing with me, others *** their guts out.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-08-22 12:27:50  
Killing charmed people is funny, but I wouldn't do it to someone I didn't know (eg if someone gets Charmed against Xolotl or Mict...thingy).

It's true that taking it if it goes yellow isn't against the rules and it's just limitations you impose upon yourself, but equally I don't think that's an excuse to just sit at the minimum ethical boundary, if you know what I mean. Just because there's no rule against it doesn't mean we shouldn't try to better ourselves.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook
By Quetzalcoatl.Serbzook 2010-08-22 12:30:11  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Killing charmed people is funny, but I wouldn't do it to someone I didn't know (eg if someone gets Charmed against Xolotl or Mict...thingy).

It's true that taking it if it goes yellow isn't against the rules and it's just limitations you impose upon yourself, but equally I don't think that's an excuse to just sit at the minimum ethical boundary, if you know what I mean. Just because there's no rule against it doesn't mean we shouldn't try to better ourselves.

agreed

and in b4 your v.s. you're
 Odin.Katoke
サーバ: Odin
user: Katoke
By Odin.Katoke 2010-08-22 12:39:52  
Question comes up every time something like this happens and fact of the matter is you can't make other people play the way you would play. While I feel it's important to be polite and wait until everyone whos fighting a mob is dead before claiming it, others feel yellow is free game.
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2010-08-22 12:48:38  
Eh, the way I figure it, is eventually one would hope all the *** would be filtered out by process of elimination. I'll not be helping or raising anyone in the party that stole that NM from me. You can't solo the game comes back to mind.

Build and guard your rep. Because in this game, it's what gets ***done. Skill and gear come second and third, of course. But it's the rep you have, and the friends/players that are willing to help you out that matter.

Don't do ***that you're morally ambiguous about. If it feels wrong, don't do it.

Also, if you steal my worm at 15% again, I'll MPK your entire party and savor the temp ban I get for it. You know who you are. :D
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-08-22 12:53:25  
I'd help them out, but that's just me ~
 Unicorn.Moldtech
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Moldtech
By Unicorn.Moldtech 2010-08-22 13:17:01  
So odd this is up, dude in my ls said someone just did that to him a couple hours ago D:
 Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial
user: Kyrial
By Quetzalcoatl.Kyrial 2010-08-22 13:27:55  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Hehe, my favorite thing to do in Besieged is nuking charmed people. (2nd favorite is nuking Gurfurlur anytime someone shouts not to... what is it about Besieged that makes me want to troll people?) The only time I actually felt bad about it was when I killed a random charmed person with Burst II, and a second after it killed them, the Besieged ended. They didn't call me out on it, but I did feel bad. Though someone else sent me a tell saying they saw it, laughing and saying it was awesome. Maybe he had a grudge against that person or something. XD
 Bahamut.Bojack
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-08-22 14:36:47  
Phoenix.Elaenia said:
you can't really blame them for wanting to take back what they had claimed first if they had had a chance to recover. it's not really a "*** move" on their part imo. i know you can look at it as they died, so they should step off, but if you were in the same position as they were you'd probably be tempted to take your nm back as well. if they were laying there dead without any reraise or anything, like what happened to chupacabra, that is a *** move in my opinion, but yeah.

True, but they had no chance to recover. They couldn't even keep it together while the BLM and SMN were not weakened while the RDM was. I don't think they'd keep safe without it going back underground while all 3 of them are weakened.