users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Sea/Limbus » Absolute Virtues
Absolute Virtues
 Fairy.Akiba
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Akiba
By Fairy.Akiba 2009-12-16 14:23:08  
If the 2hrs are locked couldnt one just have 2 parties sitting back with TP? and some Mages?

Have the original 18 (or a swap of them) lock the 2hrs, or at least the ones needed to keep from Bene/Meteor spam, and then just swap in the 2 TP Full Parties.. pop off some Light/Dark SCs and then go apeshit with some MBs?

Fairy.Vytiss
サーバ: Fairy
user: Vytiss
By Fairy.Vytiss 2009-12-16 16:48:04  
^^Aye
now comes the debate between sitting on your hands waiting to lock all 2hrs or trying to DD along the way to avoid timing out.
-----------------------------------------------
* edited for point of order.
Being a DD-only character, I tend to only think about such things.
I guess I'm pushing this topic ahead of itself. DDing down AV is the "dessert" so to speak.

Need to "eat our vegetables" and figure out a way to first survive AV's deadlier 2hr's first (as well as locking them at the same time, to avoid a repeated near-wipe)
 Hades.Toralin
サーバ: Hades
user: toralin
By Hades.Toralin 2009-12-17 14:38:33  
The only time AV is going to let you "pop off" skillchains and MBs is during one of his 2-hours which he is not casting somehing that will wipe you(Manafont/CS), or using something that will negate the damage(Invincivle/PD), keep in mind when your "popping off" all this ***on him he is going to be TPing, his TP moves include 2 different AOE stuns, so youll be sitting ducks for him to mow over..

THe best time to "pop off" anything on him is during Mighty Strikes/Hundred Fists. The longest 2hr he does that additionally locks him from TPing and casting.

As seen on the videos from Apathy a Light skillchain with ES- AM2 (you can assume from VERY well geared BLMs) 500-700 per MB nuke was doing about 4% damage and diminishing the lower his HP got.

so now that you have 25 alliances lined up for that, what other ideas do you have?
 Pandemonium.Vavaud
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Vavaud
By Pandemonium.Vavaud 2009-12-17 15:11:29  
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Fairy.Vytiss said:
Also, has it been confirmed that matching AV's 2hr also resets your own? I haven't done nearly enough BG digging, but in the Developer's video, many of the same characters use their 2hr multiple times.
This was initial speculation when the video first came out. It has since been proven false. In the transcript you can see the same characters 2hr'ing multiple times with different jobs. The scenes are obviously from different fights during different AVs. This is also backed up by the fact that the day changes and the scenes are put together out of chronological order. The Dev Video was also released before the JoL AV = 2hr depop nerf was implemented. It was also speculated that this fight took place over many many hours which can no longer be the case.

Has anyone considered the fact that the developer video was designed specifically to HINT as to the solution of killing AV? Of course they arent going to do a legit fight. It's like shooting a movie, you only shoot the scenes that you want included.

Since the video's release, people have figured out (from reading Virtuous Saint's thread on BG) that you only need to use the 2hr that matches what AV used, yet in the video you have developers spamming a bazillion different 2hrs. Yet in that mix, there's the one 2hr that actually mattered. This way, the developers hinted at the solution but didn't just throw it out there and make it easy to grasp. I think the purpose of the video was to guide us on the right track to figuring it out, not telling us bluntly how to kill it.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-17 15:12:32  
Pandemonium.Vavaud said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Fairy.Vytiss said:
Also, has it been confirmed that matching AV's 2hr also resets your own? I haven't done nearly enough BG digging, but in the Developer's video, many of the same characters use their 2hr multiple times.
This was initial speculation when the video first came out. It has since been proven false. In the transcript you can see the same characters 2hr'ing multiple times with different jobs. The scenes are obviously from different fights during different AVs. This is also backed up by the fact that the day changes and the scenes are put together out of chronological order. The Dev Video was also released before the JoL AV = 2hr depop nerf was implemented. It was also speculated that this fight took place over many many hours which can no longer be the case.

Has anyone considered the fact that the developer video was designed specifically to HINT as to the solution of killing AV? Of course they arent going to do a legit fight. It's like shooting a movie, you only shoot the scenes that you want included.

Since the video's release, people have figured out (from reading Virtuous Saint's thread on BG) that you only need to use the 2hr that matches what AV used, yet in the video you have developers spamming a bazillion different 2hrs. Yet in that mix, there's the one 2hr that actually mattered. This way, the developers hinted at the solution but didn't just throw it out there and make it easy to grasp. I think the purpose of the video was to guide us on the right track to figuring it out, not telling us bluntly how to kill it.
Yes, over a year ago.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vavaud
By Pandemonium.Vavaud 2009-12-17 15:17:16  
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Pandemonium.Vavaud said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Fairy.Vytiss said:
Has anyone considered the fact that the developer video was designed specifically to HINT as to the solution of killing AV? Of course they arent going to do a legit fight. It's like shooting a movie, you only shoot the scenes that you want included. Since the video's release, people have figured out (from reading Virtuous Saint's thread on BG) that you only need to use the 2hr that matches what AV used, yet in the video you have developers spamming a bazillion different 2hrs. Yet in that mix, there's the one 2hr that actually mattered. This way, the developers hinted at the solution but didn't just throw it out there and make it easy to grasp. I think the purpose of the video was to guide us on the right track to figuring it out, not telling us bluntly how to kill it.
Yes, over a year ago.

Then maybe there's something else in the video that we're overlooking that can hint to us as to how to lock Red bracelet Meteor death, which seems like this is what is currently preventing people from winning.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-17 15:25:01  
Pandemonium.Vavaud said:
Then maybe there's something else in the video that we're overlooking that can hint to us as to how to lock Red bracelet Meteor death, which seems like this is what is currently preventing people from winning.
Pretty much everything in that video has been tried.

We know you are supposed to kill JoL's pets until only Ru'phuabo's. They emphasized that for the first half of the video.

*JoL has not been killed at pop location without moving (as seen in the video) followed by AV attempt.

*JoL has not been killed at pop location straight tanked in melee range (as seen in the video) followed by AV attempt.

Emotes have been tried (when JoL dies, a Taru does /goodbye and another spams /panic)

The 2hr lock as blatantly made obvious wasn't proven to work until 6 months later and with the use of bots "OnEvent" to use your 2hr when AV uses his BEFORE it even registers in your chat log. There has to be a way to get AV to "Ready" his 2hr so it is humanly possible to match.

AV has been attempted with and without the 3 Om'aern's floating about.

Pretty much everything has been tried except for zooming in the chat log and jumping forward/backwards in time (as seen in the video). /sarcasm

For all we know with "/names off" the key to defeating AV could be unequipping your linkshell. (No this isn't serious, but anything is possible at this point >.>)
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vavaud
By Pandemonium.Vavaud 2009-12-17 15:32:52  
Then I guess the purpose of the video was to guide us to figure out only the 2hr's and then leave us on our own to eat meteors of death.

Maybe we just all need to wear shadow rings.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-17 15:38:01  
Just the fact that they gave us the 2hour hint was mind blowing. Noone would have ever thought you could lock its two hours without that clue.

To have a successful AV fight we need to figure out how to:
1. Make AV ready his 2hours so they're lockable without use of 3rd party tools.
* This can be kind of guessed at by the color of the spiral in the dustcloud when he 2hrs (see BG's AV thread for the long discussion)

2. Weaken Meteor (Lock it? Prevent it?) at 79% and when he gains full use whenever he wants 59% and lower.

Cerberus.Geldric
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Geldricv2
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-12-17 22:24:23  
There is a way but it involves having many bodies and using process of elemination. And people paying very close attention.

The only way I see AV being beaten at the moment is just throwing tanks at it. The closest a linkshell has gotten it down to 49%. Everything about AV has nearly been discussed to death, all we need is for SE to release a hint and weaking, if it is possible to weaken, meteor.
 Valefor.Ivaan
サーバ: Valefor
user: ivaan
By Valefor.Ivaan 2009-12-17 22:46:25  
in response to geldric, since he brought up throwing alot of tanks at it,
is atonement in anyway reduced or gimped in terms of dmg on him?
I mean, since for most occasions atonement capps at 750 right? throwing alot of tanks could prove to deal hefty dmg over time based on the use of the ws. (of course their melee dot probably wouldn't be to great)

Of course, that means you need alot of tanks, with the ws, but hey, it could prove to be a potent way to deal the most dmg with the least damage taken.

And yes, i know atonement isn't going to make everyone be able to kill AV, but could the weapon skill keep its potency dmg wise after he starts becoming resistant to physical / magical dmg?
 Sylph.Sindri
サーバ: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2009-12-17 22:49:55  
Some of my Observations:

One: In the developer video, they did not have a clip of one Meteor or Comet.

Two: They seemed to spam random 2hrs hoping they'd get one right.

Three: People focus on Wind resist, but Light resist stacked high may help to survive Comets + Meteors, then a WHM could run in with Benediction, and drop to make room for another WHM during the next one.

Four: The Augmenting system has made obtaining elemental resist a lot more plausible, because instead of wearing gear that's only value is the elemental resist, your performance can be unhindered while wearing an augmented Genie Weskit with 21 Wind Resist (One I've seen)
[+]
 Cerberus.Geldric
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-12-17 23:12:56  
No idea on the atonement damage on AV, I honestly don't believe it would do 750 constantly just doing to AV being AV.

And for the people to focus on light resist they would have to switch into the gear within a second, most of AV spells are near instant cast. Gonna be hard to switch between wind and light depending on what he's gonna cast.

And as for the light resist, I've heard mixed theories on that meteor/comet is based on. I've heard it's like Mijin Gakure and isn't really considered it elemental, be nice if someone could clarify for a fact on what it is.
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2009-12-17 23:52:53  
I didn't mean swapping constantly, I mean getting as much Wind and Light as you can full time, and then when you see he uses Chainspell macro in a bit light for more effect. As for the elemental, it's not a Job Ability I don't think that makes sense. Dia isn't resistable and very few mobs cast Banish so I find it hard to believe many forms of Light Resist for just one-two spells and not including Comet and Meteor. Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work :S
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-18 00:03:22  
Lol they'd do it. THere is a +light enfeebling macc evolith after all... and dia is unresistable
 Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru 2009-12-18 00:18:10  
Each time a 2 hour gets locked, change one of the corresponding jobs for a summoner. After all 2 hours are locked, throw 12+ summoners, not to Astral Burn, but to just fight it. Meteor after Meteor would still be hard to level all 12 or more Avatars so quickly that a party would wipe. With that many summoners, Avatar's should be swapping so often that there's never at least a few on AV all the time.

Just a suggestion.
 Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru 2009-12-18 00:20:06  
Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru said:
Each time a 2 hour gets locked, change one of the corresponding jobs for a summoner. After all 2 hours are locked, throw 12 summoners, not to Astral Burn, but to just fight it. Meteor after Meteor would still be hard to level all 12 or more Avatars so quickly that a party would wipe. With that many summoners, Avatar's should be swapping so often that there's never at least a few on AV all the time.

Just a suggestion.
Toss a few RDMs and BRDs into the Alli and a strong outside healing party for backup support...
 Cerberus.Geldric
By Cerberus.Geldric 2009-12-18 06:27:56  
Those avatars will get toppled in about 10 seconds flat. Not to mention -ga's and meteors. Once AV hits 79% basically all his stats increase and begins, not only casting meteor regularly, but hitting for 450+ and near high-end crits.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-18 06:32:40  
Yeah but I think the point is having so many that by the time it kills one batch another is there to take it's place. Hell theres a smn on this forum that solo'd a mob several times that would always 1-2 hit his avatars.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-18 09:54:01  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Lol they'd do it. THere is a light enfeebling macc evolith after all... and dia is unresistable
The status effect is unresistable, the initial damage, however can be resisted.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-18 09:54:58  
doublepost fail :(
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2009-12-18 10:26:45  
As of now it is humanly impossible to lock AV's 2hr abilities without use of 3rd party equipment which is permanently bannable. Sorry if spelling is a bit off I'm on my blackberry. There have been methods to defeat AV however the 2hr timelimit is a big problem now. A group on my server got it half dead before it depopped. The issue has never been dealing damage to AV its the fact that meteor wipes the alliance. The best strategy ice heard involves the tanks and rangers doing all the melee damage. The alliance being far off and only running in meteor range for support aswell as a second group of tanks and rangers to swap in when meteor wipes the first, chainspell raise if time is an issue and then repeat. Another idea may be abusing stoneskin cap scholars and accession.
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2009-12-18 16:39:53  
Sylph.Sindri said:
As of now it is humanly impossible to lock AV's 2hr abilities without use of 3rd party equipment which is permanently bannable. Sorry if spelling is a bit off I'm on my blackberry. There have been methods to defeat AV however the 2hr timelimit is a big problem now. A group on my server got it half dead before it depopped. The issue has never been dealing damage to AV its the fact that meteor wipes the alliance. The best strategy ice heard involves the tanks and rangers doing all the melee damage. The alliance being far off and only running in meteor range for support aswell as a second group of tanks and rangers to swap in when meteor wipes the first, chainspell raise if time is an issue and then repeat. Another idea may be abusing stoneskin cap scholars and accession.

Unless you fire off random 2Hrs hoping he uses the same one at the same time.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-18 16:47:37  
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Lol they'd do it. THere is a light enfeebling macc evolith after all... and dia is unresistable
Oh nos my dia might only do 0 initial dmg instead of 3!!! Whatever will I do I better swap to my macc set
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2009-12-18 16:49:44  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Oh nos my dia might only do 0 initial dmg instead of 3!!! Whatever will I do I better swap to my macc set

Yeah I know SE is a pain but I find it hard to believe that when there are so little Light based spells cast by mobs that they'd block out Comet and Meteor. People underestimate elemental resistances :D
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-18 17:06:18  
Sylph.Sindri said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

Yeah I know SE is a pain but I find it hard to believe that when there are so little Light based spells cast by mobs that they'd block out Comet and Meteor. People underestimate elemental resistances :D
I wouldn't put all my hopes and dreams into elemental resists for comet and meteor. You'd need some ridiculously high amount like 200+ before it'd even start showing resists. How much does Light Carol give you anyway? Like 50?

-MDT, MDB+, Shellra V 5/5, Fealty are the only things that will potentially save you.
[+]
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2009-12-19 00:23:37  
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Sylph.Sindri said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

I wouldn't put all my hopes and dreams into elemental resists for comet and meteor. You'd need some ridiculously high amount like 200 before it'd even start showing resists. How much does Light Carol give you anyway? Like 50?

-MDT, MDB , Shellra V 5/5, Fealty are the only things that will potentially save you.

Not saying not to keep those up, Shellra is a given but I think that its easier to add a bit of resist in and if we there was a bunch of MDB from Carol, Shellra V, and MDB/MDT- then it would be possible to survive the meteor long enough to benediction. Could be treated like a wyrm in that only the tanks and some DDs would need to wear it and have rest of alliance out of range. Im sure I already said this but this thread is going in circles and I'm sleepy.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-12-19 00:30:12  
The thing about resist sets for wyrms and why people didn't do anything for a long time is cause they do pretty much jack ***unless you break certain tiers. If you don't stack rather high amounts on you'll be lucky to get 1/2 resist let alone the 1/8 1/16 that they force on there so that phalanx/shell/MDB etc can kill the rest. Those wyrm require like 300ish I think? In full light resist gear a pld will only get 177 or 227 with carol. And this is with alot of lol choices that you wouldn't normally be caught in.

Also carol does not give MDB. Just plus resist to whatever element. Shell doesn't not give MDB just -magic dmg that is calculated seperately from each other.

however if you went all out with -magic dmg and then some MDB especially from some other jobs helping you could get -50% from just -magic dmg. Another - 27% from that from shellra 5. And whatever you get from MDB which if you get a cor and a blu in there can be a rather high amount. Up to 33MDB from magus roll. Maybe another 20-30 from gear and 50 from saline coat if you can keep that up. For round number sake say a total of 100MDB. That would mean you would have garunteed all magic dmg to only do 18% of what it normally would've done. Hell can even throw in shining ruby in there for another -10% lol
 Gilgamesh.Xenhas
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Xenhas
By Gilgamesh.Xenhas 2009-12-19 00:42:49  
don't care to read much of this thread, but comet and meteor are not light based. They are non-elemental, meaning resist sets wont do you any good. only mdb etc etc. the only resist set i could see being useable would be wind -.-

and besides

bracelets
[+]