users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Askar Dirs
Askar Dirs
 Sylph.Nazantia
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Nazantia
By Sylph.Nazantia 2010-08-12 21:36:33  
This is from another forum, moved here as a separate discussion...

Remora.Belius said:
I have haidates and Askars, but I always chose to wear the askars when I have a pet with me because of the -10% def taken. I have a woodsville, but will always use a Lion/Zooral if I'm dual wielding for another -10% def and +Reward so I don't loose TP when I switch over to a reward set.

Where did you come to this conclusion Belius? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would like to know where you arrived at +10% Defense (or are you saying -10% physical damage taken?) from DEF+10.

I do not own these myself, but if it truly is +10% defense (or better still, -10% PDT), then I need to get myself a pair right away because either of those would be wonderful... I always assumed face value of DEF+10 and that's... well not worth trading Herder's accuracy or Byakko's DEX & haste.

Also, Guichard's Axe with Pet: PDT-8% is a much better weapon to use than Zoraal Ja's Axe (and will only get better as more trials come into existence). <100HP every min+ vs -8% damage full time and 46 damage vs 56 damage. Currently, Zoraal Ja's is only good as a reward swap when you are not TPing or if you are not high enough level for trial axes.

Similarly, even if Lion Tamer is 10% DEF and not just DEF+10, I think Guichard's -PDT axes will be better after another trial comes. Of course, this is all assuming you are willing/wanting/able to do the trials.
 Fenrir.Krazyrs
サーバ: Fenrir
user: krazyrs
By Fenrir.Krazyrs 2010-08-12 21:40:13  
askar dirs

def+10 not def+10%

same as wearing this on your char
phalanx ring
[+]
 Alexander.Carrelo
サーバ: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2010-08-12 21:50:49  
In one of his posts in that other topic, he mentioned a typo in the item description. Wiki doesn't say anything about it though. :/

inb4 wiki sucks, I know. <_<
 Sylph.Nazantia
サーバ: Sylph
user: Nazantia
By Sylph.Nazantia 2010-08-12 21:52:34  
Alexander.Carrelo said:
In one of his posts in that other topic, he mentioned a typo in the item description. Wiki doesn't say anything about it though. :/

inb4 wiki sucks, I know. <_<
Yeah, that was the first place I looked. I'm wondering if that Bluegartr (sp?) has anything about it. I'm going to go look there now.
 Remora.Belius
サーバ: Remora
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2010-08-16 08:30:40  
Firstly, it would be nice if you brought this to my attention if you are asking me stuff.

Secondly, like I said in that forum, it was tested somewhere and it turned out to work as a percentage instead of a fixed amount of +10 def. Personal experience has shown my pet to have a significant boost when equipping these two items. I think they also tested the pet def+ on goliard pants and it turned out to be the same.

However, I lack the real proper understanding on how to test this stuff out, and it's only personal experience, but with things that hit for roughly 100 a round, equiping pants alone takes it down to the 90's.

Thirdly, as they always say, stuffs situational. It depends what I'm doing in regards to axe. It depends on whether it's worth loosing the TP to switch over to the reward set or not, etcetc.

Valefor.Argettio
サーバ: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-16 08:54:08  
Remora.Belius said:
Firstly, it would be nice if you brought this to my attention if you are asking me stuff.

Secondly, like I said in that forum, it was tested somewhere and it turned out to work as a percentage instead of a fixed amount of +10 def. Personal experience has shown my pet to have a significant boost when equipping these two items. I think they also tested the pet def+ on goliard pants and it turned out to be the same.

However, I lack the real proper understanding on how to test this stuff out, and it's only personal experience, but with things that hit for roughly 100 a round, equiping pants alone takes it down to the 90's.

Thirdly, as they always say, stuffs situational. It depends what I'm doing in regards to axe. It depends on whether it's worth loosing the TP to switch over to the reward set or not, etcetc.

Sorry, but I am gonna call BS/Eyeballing.

Unless you have some detailed and controlled data to support your beliefs or a link to someone else with detailed and controlled data, then I don't really know how you can make clams like this.
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2010-08-16 08:58:25  
lrn2rd.

Key sentence: 'I lack the real proper understanding on how to test this stuff out, and it's only personal experience, but with things that hit for roughly 100 a round, equiping pants alone takes it down to the 90's.'

Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-16 09:32:54  
Remora.Belius said:
lrn2rd.

Key sentence: 'I lack the real proper understanding on how to test this stuff out, and it's only personal experience, but with things that hit for roughly 100 a round, equiping pants alone takes it down to the 90's.'

lrn2rd

Eyeballing

Due to the way cratio is randomised, the damage dealt/received can vary +/- 20% about the true value, so one reading is not nearly enough to draw such a conclusion.

You admit you don't understand the maths/science involved in testing these things yet you argue/insult those that do... Big man.
 Remora.Belius
By Remora.Belius 2010-08-16 09:42:05  
Er, what?

You're not even following the discussion. I've already mentioned on another thread that there was testing for this and I was simply explaining and adding to it using whatever personal experience I have.

I haven't insulted no maths/science in testing, lrn2rd-simplified edition: I don't know how to do it.

Where have I insulted anyone?
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-16 09:47:13  
Remora.Belius said:
Er, what?

You're not even following the discussion. I've already mentioned on another thread that there was testing for this and I was simply explaining and adding to it using whatever personal experience I have.

I haven't insulted no maths/science in testing, lrn2rd-simplified edition: I don't know how to do it.

Where have I insulted anyone?

I have been following. I said in my first post in this thread, to make clams like yours, you need either:
* a but load of data
or
* a link to someone else who has a but load of data.

Currently you have neither, and the OP has searched all the normal sources for this sort of info and found nothing.

And 'learn to read' is generally used as a quick way of calling some one too stupid to read what you had written. Being called stupid is pretty insulting.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-08-16 09:47:19  
uhh go fight cactuars with them on and let pet get solo 1k needle. just ne sure take in acount stout defender if u that level .

edit: btw i got pallas shield lion and askar and pretty sure each is just +10 def.
 Asura.Rinkydink
サーバ: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2010-08-16 09:47:30  
"someone did this"
"someone did that"

back it up with a link else we'll assume your trolling and BS'ing for the sake of it.

the discussion and answer is 10 not 10%.

u say its 10% im gonna call POIDH style rules :)