users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » Axe + Shield or /NIN setups
Axe + Shield or /NIN setups
 Sylph.Nazantia
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Nazantia
By Sylph.Nazantia 2010-08-12 03:06:09  
... I know GAxe or gtfo, but humor me. I'm actually a BST and I can't use GAxe, but WARs are very into maximizing gear unlike BSTs. WAR and BST share virtually all of the same equipment, so I was hoping someone would help.

TP:

Working on Suppa, Raja, Aurum Sabatons.

WS:

Perle hands or Heca hands ? (10 Attack vs 3 STR 2 DEX)
Byakko vs Perle Pants for WS? I guess I'm kinda unsure whether that chunk of 15 DEX is significant for Rampage. I'm Mithra if it matters.

Any ideas for either?

Also interested in weapon choices. TotM: Dex&Acc? Str&Att? Farsha? I'm 2 trials away from finishing Richardet's 2-3x. I have a Glyph Axe/Maneater atm when not using pet -pdt axes.

Looking for any positive and constructive criticism.

I hover around 500k gil; not a rich player, but do have an M.Kris I can sell and 165K IS.

edit: shortened post a lot for easier reading.
edit2: Swapped in Soil Gorget and Sentinel Shield. Glyph Axe is my current party-setup main hand, so I threw that on instead of leaving the slot empty.
[+]
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
サーバ: Alexander
user: xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-08-12 03:23:34  
Your gear looks very nice but maybe a sentinel shield for when you can't duel wield?

Edit' Heca will normally beat perle hands for rampage since it's adds a bit more to the modifier and increases the crit%. You might also want to look into getting the mkd head it's very nice for Ws with the proper augs. :D

[+]
 Fenrir.Arsi
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Arsi
By Fenrir.Arsi 2010-08-12 03:32:58  
FENCER!

Seriously, I love bst/war whenever possible

Provoke ,Snarl and then Reward are priceless... time to show RNGs who is the big spender now! =P
 Valefor.Argettio
サーバ: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-12 03:46:19  
First off, nice start.

Axes for BST isn’t something I know a lot about so I will leave that as someone will be along soon to answer that and stick to the stuff I do know.

Food, the answer is nearly always Pizza (+1), sushi when you really need the accuracy (ie when you are wearing pet buffing gear instead of DD gear) or meat when you are doing some level 75 content.

Rajas would be a big boost your TP and WS sets, it will probably reduce your X hit build and is a great WS ring.

WS legs, you have 3 main options.
• Byakkos – Full on crit build with decent amount of accuracy
• Perle – Highest accuracy with some DEX, good choice if acc isn’t great
• Tumbler – High attack legs and some DEX, only really useful for mobs you can hit, but can’t crit on (rare situation)

WS hands, Perle is a solid choice for WS, but like the legs it will be situational whether Heca is better.

Aurum would be a nice little upgrade to your TP build.

As for the main question, I would work on the OAT of OA2-3 ToTM axe and then use that in the off hand, as for main hand, I guess that would be Gylph (but as I said that’s really for others to comment on)

Otherwise, in group situations when you are getting haste buffs I would probably use Sentinel shield

Blitz ring is also an option for high buff situations.
 Sylph.Nazantia
By Sylph.Nazantia 2010-08-12 03:48:42  
Alexander.Xgalahadx said:
Your gear looks very nice but maybe a sentinel shield for when you can't duel wield?

Edit' Heca will normally beat perle hands for rampage since it's adds a bit more to the modifier and increases the crit%. You might also want to look into getting the mkd head it's very nice for Ws with the proper augs. :D

Sadly I lack rank for the shield, but I will definitely pick it up once I'm there. Superior Private atm.

My Anwig is setup for Pet-10% dmg taken and Acc+10 Att+8. I can still use it as a WS helm vs higher level/evasive mobs though; it functions better than Optical Hat with the added attack.
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-08-12 04:04:48  
Do you have primal rend? I assume no but if you do you might want to look into getting a chr/Matk set for it.
 Leviathan.Iphigenia
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Iphigenia 2010-08-12 04:39:40  
Just my basic DW and WS sets for BST composed of some hand-me-downs from NIN and SAM.

Mirke has DW and ACC augs.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/172974

--

The Erlking has a CHR aug.

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/172975

Nothing fancy.

Caitsith.Linear
サーバ: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-12 04:59:51  
TP

WS

Richardet's Axe: DMG: +18 Delay: +32 Occasionally attacks twice.

That my dream WAR/DRG Single Wield set. It's assuming Rampage is the WS of choice, though.

From my understanding, Primal Rends damage isn't related to the weapons damage at all, so I think the OA3 version is better if Primal Rend is being used.

Everything in the set besides the Fire Bomblet can be used by BST.

I'm not sure how BST/DRG is looked upon, as I don't play the job, nor have I really looked into it much. I see it as being fairly useful though. High Jump shedding 50% of your emnity and Jumps giving enemies no TP when used.

EDIT: Feel free to ignore the white-boxes. Like I said, dream sets~

EDIT AGAIN: Re-read OP. Think of it as a goal to get to? I dunno. It's what I get for posting at 5 am.
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-08-12 05:20:11  
Caitsith.Linear said:
Nice set but since your capping out haste why not replace askar hands with dusk and use a acc ring? Would loose 4 dex but gain 5~7 acc. :D
 Sylph.Nazantia
By Sylph.Nazantia 2010-08-12 05:43:35  
Alexander.Xgalahadx said:
Do you have primal rend? I assume no but if you do you might want to look into getting a chr/Matk set for it.

I do not, but I did finally get some LS mates to help me get the Nyzul weapon to start unlocking it (floor 65.. ><)

However, I am ambitious and already have a set. Temperance Axe is on my want list.

Primal Rend:

But for now, let's focus on Rampage (or other physical WS like Calamity or Decimation).

Linear:
Is Soil Gorget better for Rampage? I got one, but then I read that it only works for the first hit. I have been using PCC thinking that it was better, via helping my accuracy for all 5 hits rather than accuracy and damage for 1/5 of it. I couldn't see any difference eyeballing the two.

I also happened upon an Adler Ring. Acc+8 Att-12. Is +3 Acc worth -12 Att for TP?

Thanks all.
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-12 05:52:48  
Gorgets give accuracy on all hits, but only extra damage on the first... So yes they are better than PCC.

As for Adler Ring, it will depend on your hit rate and attack, but generally no it won't be worth it.
 Remora.Belius
サーバ: Remora
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2010-08-12 07:02:34  
The thing about BST is that you shouldn't be all-outing yourself, but you should be all-outing your pet. It's all about the Pet. I read that you want to maximise your own potentiality, but I just wanted to make sure you understood this about BST.

I have haidates and Askars, but I always chose to wear the askars when I have a pet with me because of the -10% def taken. I have a woodsville, but will always use a Lion/Zooral if I'm dual wielding for another -10% def and +Reward so I don't loose TP when I switch over to a reward set.

The last thing you want to do as BST is outdamage your pet unless it's a jug, and even then you want to make sure it's well protected to handle the kicks.

It's like RDM in that sense, your mission is to outlive your enemy in a primal, savage manner. RDM is just the flouncey, elegant solo'er.

Primal rend is also your best friend. You get to WS in all your chr whatever few MAB gear and it has a fairly hot accuracy.
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-12 07:17:13  
While you are right about the that when you are soloing, when you are in a group (which is what the OP is gearing for) you need to maximise your damage output as a job.

Unlike most jobs, you have to consider your pet's damage in with your own, so you need to strike a balance between gearing for the pet and gearing for yourself.

For example, byakkos (5 haste for you) vs askar legs (10 defence for your pet) should be an easy win for byakkos.

Things like the mini expansion items are a little more tricky, do you just macro them in for your Pet's WS or wear them full time? Well that depends on a lot of factors, but really good BST should be considering these things, and I imagine somewhere (BG maybe) there will be someone who has done the maths for you.

By Untamedheart 2010-08-12 08:19:12  
Remora.Belius said:
The thing about BST is that you shouldn't be all-outing yourself, but you should be all-outing your pet. It's all about the Pet. I read that you want to maximise your own potentiality, but I just wanted to make sure you understood this about BST.

I have haidates and Askars, but I always chose to wear the askars when I have a pet with me because of the -10% def taken. I have a woodsville, but will always use a Lion/Zooral if I'm dual wielding for another -10% def and +Reward so I don't loose TP when I switch over to a reward set.

The last thing you want to do as BST is outdamage your pet unless it's a jug, and even then you want to make sure it's well protected to handle the kicks.

It's like RDM in that sense, your mission is to outlive your enemy in a primal, savage manner. RDM is just the flouncey, elegant solo'er.

Primal rend is also your best friend. You get to WS in all your chr whatever few MAB gear and it has a fairly hot accuracy.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Askar Dirs says Pet DEF +10 which only adds 10 defense to your pet. Unless your pet only has 100 defense, this is not upping your pet's defense by 10%. It is also not giving your pet 10% PDT. To wear these over haidate in a situation where you are fighting alongside your pet makes little sense to me.

On a side note ... isn't this the warrior's forum?
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-12 08:24:36  
Untamedheart said:

Yes, but the Op stated he wanted the opinion of people who were better at giving advice on DD builds rather than the typical solo/buff pet builds so he posted in the WAR forum.
 Bismarck.Xdudemanx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: xdudemanx
By Bismarck.Xdudemanx 2010-08-12 08:29:31  
i just pop into threads with bst to yell YEA BST!
By Untamedheart 2010-08-12 08:36:49  
Valefor.Argettio said:
Untamedheart said:

Yes, but the Op stated he wanted the opinion of people who were better at giving advice on DD builds rather than the typical solo/buff pet builds so he posted in the WAR forum.

Is this to say that beastmaster's don't know how to gear DD properly? I find this a little tragic that people still don't see beastmasters as a DD job.
 Valefor.Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-12 08:39:14  
Untamedheart said:
Valefor.Argettio said:
Untamedheart said:

Is this to say that beastmaster's don't know how to gear DD properly? I find this a little tragic that people still don't see beastmasters as a DD job.

I am not saying anything, I am only stating the OP's explanation for posting here.
 Asura.Isiolia
サーバ: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-08-12 08:47:51  
Quote:
While you are right about the that when you are soloing, when you are in a group (which is what the OP is gearing for) you need to maximise your damage output as a job.

An important consideration there is buffs. The more buffed you get, as a BST, the less it makes sense to focus on pet damage. Solo is one thing, or when you aren't engaging - otherwise, short of a COR doing pet rolls, your pet is going to be doing pretty static damage, even if you have SV songs, rolls that went to 11, and so on.
 Remora.Belius
サーバ: Remora
user: Belius
By Remora.Belius 2010-08-12 11:11:02  
It says -10 on the askars, but it's actually a percentage. I can't remember for the life of me who did the testing on it, but it averaged down to -10% instead of -10 raw def. It's also the same with Pallas I think. Thus the incredibly stupid expense on the items.

Prior to the new updates, it made little sense to buff because of how limited in buff items you are, but with pet haste, pet acc and atk, pet regain etc, it's makes little sense to not further go into that direction.

To each their own though. I noticed all my BST DD gear doubled for WAR so I just levelled WAR instead.

I think it's all moot now anyway with the new pets. Epic PLDs have to work to keep hate of the sheep pet.
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-08-12 11:21:27  
nevermind...
 Sylph.Nazantia
By Sylph.Nazantia 2010-08-12 21:25:45  
Valefor.Argettio said:
Gorgets give accuracy on all hits, but only extra damage on the first... So yes they are better than PCC.

Thank you for this, I will switch it back.

I would like to know where you determined that DEF+10 turned into PDT-10% on Askar Dirs, Belius. I don't want to derail this topic so I'll create a new topic on BST for this.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. More are welcome if there are any.

I will work toward Raja's and Sentinel Shield next; those look to be the best upgrades for my cost/time. Thanks for those suggestions, you're right about them Argettio, Xgalahadx, and Linear.

I apologize to those who have a problem with a BST asking WARs for help. As I said before, I know the WAR community is very on top of their game and have a very good grasp of the best-in-slot pieces; I thought it was the wisest route.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.