vermeil bhuj vs sumeru steel cyclone + 10%
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-10 16:26:01  
Gilgamesh.Maletaru said:
I know this conversation has shifted all over the place, but regarding PLDs' abilities to tank and their "needing" SATA to cap their hate:

I don't really think as a PLD that it's necessary to have someone SATAing you to get hate off of a mob, the reason SATA helps so much is because thats ~1k DMG that ISN'T included in the DD's hate. It not only adds to the tank's hate (which isn't necessary, and is easily capped by a good PLD) but it detracts from the DD's hate, allowing him to do more WS before taking hate.

Also: those DD who think that they can easily co-tank a sky god, cerb, or DI or whatever just because they have seigan third eye, that's ridiculous. Wait till you get one-shadowed by TE and then have 28 seconds to get beat on while waiting for recast and you'll start regretting your rant on ffxiah about capping out your WS dmg and not subbing anything but SAM for HNM fights.

Remember: a dead DD deals 0dps. Manage your own hate, because once a PLD is capped out, there's not much (s)he can do to save you when TE doesn't last.

For those of you who want to bash: my WAR is 40, DRK80, PLD80, THF80.
DRK/NIN tank like a boss.
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
サーバ: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-10 16:28:54  
As far as I know, no conclusive tests have been done for crit WSs. I've heard anywhere from 5%-20% at 100%.
 Shiva.Daimos
サーバ: Shiva
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-08-10 16:32:25  
The only time I've found SC particularly useful was in extremely low buff situations on things such as sky gods.

I used it quite a lot before I had a decent RR build (please don't laugh at it now ><)

Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-10 16:39:08  
Caitsith.Linear said:
As far as I know, no conclusive tests have been done for crit WSs. I've heard anywhere from 5%-20% at 100%.
I think it was CDF/Robonosto that posted the info, let me check his blog...

Nope, it's actually higher than that. 15-20% was his estimation from pooled data.

Gives you over a 50% chance of at least one crit per WS even at 15% base. ~66% at 20%.
[+]
 Shiva.Superdan
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-10 17:02:07  
Heh, well I guess the general EU population hasn't moved on to you guys either, becasue of the three endgame LS's I've been in the past couple years, all have used DD/THF (Pretty much SAM/THF onry.. apart from RNGs for shadowbind <.M) and PLD/NIN or NIN/WAR tanks. Also, we generally have only 1 bard for each event... Sometimes a Cor too... But pretty much tank pt onry, meaning the only buffs us DD's get is pro/shell/haste >_>

I'll be the first to admit the LS's I've been in are far from superior, however trying to find any good LS that fits EU time zones has been difficult for me <_< But yeah, I guess my point is (and I know you've mentioned the 'move on') not everyone has backline support and apoc drk/nin tanks. You work with what you've got and try to make sure it gets killed before you in the process. DD/THF might not be the 'best' method, but it 'does' still work, and throwing out a Sekkonki rana - SA gekko @ start of fight can help build up some starting hate for the other DDs to let rip or whatever. Just my two cents.

Also I won't pretend to know about WAR dps, as my war is only 51 and I don't give a rats *** about it... But from what I've seen by a couple of my war friends, KJ kicks ***, especially when you can close light with it too.
 Caitsith.Linear
サーバ: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-10 17:06:30  
But only having 1/2-3/5 WSs actually landing a SINGLE crit in a 3-hit WS isn't going to beat a WS with large WSC mods and a innate attack bonus on high defense targets when you're barely buffed.

I don't care what buffs "should" be on. The fact is, a majority of this games DDs in endgame have 0-1 Bards with them, whether it's because the LS doesn't have any or enough to hand out after the tank party is taken care of. Most likely, they don't have a COR either, because it's busy giving the mage party refresh/MAB, or doesn't exist.
 Seraph.Rafik
サーバ: Seraph
user: dascorp
By Seraph.Rafik 2010-08-11 02:52:53  
super you be amazed I dont even get pro/shell/haste when I was damage dealing.... unless zerging something and even then I had to remind mages to haste the party/alliance
 Valefor.Argettio
サーバ: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-08-11 04:50:15  
Ok this thread is boring me, I assumed someone would have come in and saved the day with some maths a while ago, but it seems to have fallen on me to do it.

OK here we go:

Mob
Level: 85
DEF: 555 ( =500 with Dia II… I don’t think that’s too much to ask)
VIT: 75

Player
Level: 80
Food: Pizza (most people are using)
STR: 110 (in WS build)
VIT: 75 (in WS build)
Attack: 530 (Normal WS build + food)

Weapon 1 (Vermeil Bhuj)
D: 104
STR: 8

Weapon 2 (Umeru steel cyclone + 10%)
D: 98
Steel cyclone +10%

fSTR, WSC and WDMG
Weapon 1 (Vermeil Bhuj)
fSTR = (110+8-75+4)/4 = 11
WSC = (110+8)*0.84 = 34
WDMG = 11+34+104 = 149

fSTR = (110-75+4)/4 = 9
WSC = 110*0.84 + 75*0.84 = 77
WDMG = 11+77+98 = 184

Ratio, cRatio and pDif
Ratio = 530/500 = 1.06

Weapon 1 (Vermeil Bhuj)
Cratio = 1.06-((85-80)*0.05) = 0.81
Max pDif = 1
Min pDif = 0.47
Average pDIF = 0.74

Cratio = (1.06-((85-80)*0.05))*1.66 = 1.35
Max pDif = 1.62
Min pDif = 1
Average pDIF = 1.31

WS Damage
Weapon 1 (Vermeil Bhuj)
Assuming 1 crit and zero misses:
(149*2*0.74)+(149*(0.74+1)) = 478

Assuming 1 crit and 1 miss
(149*0.74)+(149*(0.74+1)) = 369

Assuming 0 crits and 0 misses
(149*3*0.74) = 329

184*1.5*1.31 = 361
Then add the 10%
361 * 1.1 = 397

Conclusion
The 10% boost to steel cyclone is strong and it makes quite a difference; enough to turn it from an easy win for raging rush into a little more complex affair.

I have ignored accuracy for this comparison and ignored the fact that any half decent WAR would have a different set for RR and SC and just looked at the raw damage figures.

Basically you need 1 crit in order to easily beat SC. As people mentioned earlier in the thread; 15-20% chance from WS you will crit on 50-66% at floor crit rate. Interestingly, if you take a weighted average of the raging rush numbers you get 390-410, depending on the weightings you use (read: accuracy) which is basically the same as the SC figure.

So it looks like, over time, the two weaponskills will be pretty well matched (on this particular hypothetical mob)

I will admit, it is a lot closer than I would have thought. As you can tell from my posts, I was expecting a pretty easy win for RR.

What changes this balance?
Mob VIT will affect both WS in the same way (reduce fSTR)
Mob Defence, there is 3 cases to this:
cRatio is capped (or near) with both WS = low end mobs, RR wins by miles
cRatio is only capped with SC = RR will still look good but is SC closes the gap quickly
cRatio isn’t capped on either WS = SC (with the 10%) will match/beat RR. SC (without the 10%) will match/lose to RR
 Shiva.Daimos
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-08-11 14:36:31  
Overlooked: It's still A LOT EASIER to 6hit vermeil than the non stp Sumeru.