Relegion? wait wut?
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11
 Phoenix.Darki
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:41:31  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
So how did life start? Science has never been able to exclusively prove the "starting point".

To me, and to others with much more knowledge on the subject, this is where I become religious. Personally I believe you can have both Science and Religion. o.o

edit: Btw, I am saying science in terms of an Athiest, since they most notably fall back ONTO science as the be-all end-all discussion for disproving religion/god.

and you think religion gives proof of how life started? So you are saying, since science can't proove how life started, we will go to god and believe what a book says, which asks for no logic in return, just a blind faith?... right right. I'd rather believe in Family Guy's bing bang theory than the bible.

And I am not an atheist that falls back on science to disaproove of God.
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-09 02:41:46  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Xet said:
Not that I care and find these topics amusing but applying logic to God is instant source of fail. What we know from the stuff we have about God is that is was written in ways we could comprehend it, not so it gave all the answers as you cannot apply human logic to God.

We were created in his Image, we were not created to be him.

/grabs the pop corn and hope the bait works...

so lets not apply to logic, what does that leave us with? Having faith with out question. I don't think I am that weak, I think i can think for myself enough.
if we were created on his image, then he is nothing more than human, to me it just says in another way he is human lol

that's what happens when you have a fanatical belief, in your case the belief of atheism.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:43:56  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
I believe it was Einstein himself that said Science without religion is lame, and religion without science is blind.

They rely on each other to exist. We need tangible evidence to comprehend the reality and conditions we exist within and faith to grasp that which is not tangible and exists in a supernatural realm of existence.

Self quote FTL. However, I would like to keep this fairly neutral and give some insight for both sides.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:44:28  
Caitsith.Surreal said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Xet said:
Not that I care and find these topics amusing but applying logic to God is instant source of fail. What we know from the stuff we have about God is that is was written in ways we could comprehend it, not so it gave all the answers as you cannot apply human logic to God.

so lets not apply to logic, what does that leave us with? Having faith with out question. I don't think I am that weak, I think i can think for myself enough.
if we were created on his image, then he is nothing more than human, to me it just says in another way he is human lol

QFT, and also look at the ten commandments, One of them being "Thou shalt not kill" Half the country has broken that one right there and still call themselves devout Christians.. Kinda like the sick pedo's that rape kid's and then said God made them do it.. Crazy weirdo's need to NOT be allowed to read a bible.

That is proof, that people use god to excuse themselves, use god to explain what they cannot be explained, use god to feel better about the things they clearly know are wrong, use god to know they are going to a better place after death, use god...overall, to feel stronger and not alone.

God is just as human.
and the bible, is a bunch of events that were excused with god, backed up by this god.

Don't mind me, I'm just preaching what God told me to preach. :)
 Caitsith.Surreal
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-09 02:45:08  
Anyone's allowed to say or believe anything that they want, Critizing another for them not having your belief is wrong and that's how wars get started. Everyone's bound to have different opinions, Not one person is the same.. So let's try to have a discussion without things getting out of hand lol.. Probably won't happen because this is a very taboo subject.

But I think everyone here is proving a very good point, and since I'm just not well educated into either subject I can't prove a good debater, I just say what I know lol.

Edit: I mean by what I say by what I know.. I mean random subjects that aren't necassarily saying that I'm completely disproving the existance of a god, Just pointing out little things that not everyone may see..
[+]
 Shiva.Xet
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-09 02:45:18  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Excluding the existence of God and severing it from science in such a hastey fashion these days is about as close-minded as thinking the earth is the center of the universe hundred of years ago.

IMO, of course. Not trying to offend anyone. :b

Well Durr, everyone knows im the center of the universe and it revolves around me
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:45:52  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
So how did life start? Science has never been able to exclusively prove the "starting point".

To me, and to others with much more knowledge on the subject, this is where I become religious. Personally I believe you can have both Science and Religion. o.o

edit: Btw, I am saying science in terms of an Athiest, since they most notably fall back ONTO science as the be-all end-all discussion for disproving religion/god.

I believe it was Einstein himself that said Science without religion is lame, and religion without science is blind.

I just find it weird when a scientist, above anyone else, immediately EXCLUDES the idea of a creator. Bad science happens when you exclude ANY ideas just because it doesn't fit a personal bias or seems ILLOGICAL to you.

You know what else seems illogical? Super String theory, but it's still got potential.

Excluding the existence of God and severing it from science in such a hastey fashion these days is about as close-minded as thinking the earth is the center of the universe hundred of years ago.

IMO, of course. Not trying to offend anyone. :b

You have a point but to consider creationism would immediately neutralize countless existing and strong standing theories which we live by. Wouldn't do much good if your hypothesis was shut down before it even could be put into fruition.

The evidence and research we've accumulated for countless years point toward creationism being contrary to our existing conditions. Which is why for living in a tangible reality that we exist within, theory > faith. Working with something and being able to improve upon it as we discover ourselves and the world around us certainly beats following one unquestionable, untestable condition for existence.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:46:56  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Xet said:

that's what happens when you have a fanatical belief, in your case the belief of atheism.

I don't believe in atheism, I classify myself as an Atheist because it's the only fitting stereotype I can find myself in under the terms of religion. So in short terms, Atheism is a stereotype, there's nothing really to believe in, for me that is, IDK what kind of other atheist you've talked to, but I'm pretty sure the image of atheists you have is
-fanatical belief to disaproove of god
-back up everything with science

that my friend, doesn't apply to me.
I just don't have blind faith, I'm not a robot, I think for myself. I just happen to fall on that big stereotype.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-09 02:48:30  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:

This is exactly the one thing that bugs me the most about everything... I have to play the hypocrite (because this line of reasoning forces me into that role) and tell you that 'the lack of evidence is not proof of anything'

Sure, we still can't even tell you exactly how everything started on a scientific level, but just because we can't, doesn't mean that some magical man in the sky/another plane of existence simply wooshed us into existence OR set the course of action that led to us.. Just go back about 400 years and read about the view of the world back then, and how much HAD to be god's own hand/magic, and then come back and see just how much has been discovered..

We'll find the answer some day, although I'm not really sure what it will accomplish as far as this subject goes... Religion is never going to go away, it's just too deeply embedded into us as a race. If science came out tomorrow and was able to explain every single thing that is considered a miracle or beyond natural evolution/chance, down to the minutest detail, the percentage of religious people would drop nearly nothing, if it did at all.

Ever seen the invention of lying? There you go.. People for the most part stick to religion not because everything is so mysterious and wonderous that a higher deity must've made it all, but because it's in pretty much every single animal's nature to fear death (fearing death is what keeps all animals alive, the instinct to fight for survival makes sure that we don't just 'cope with death')

Currently as far as we know, we're the only species to fear death as strongly as we do, so it's not all that suprising that we invented a magical place of beauty and eternal happiness to which we go when our Earthly bodies finally cease to function.

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:48:40  
I really need to stop ninja editing >.>
 Shiva.Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-09 02:48:47  
Phoenix.Darki said:

That is proof, that people use god to excuse themselves, use god to explain what they cannot be explained, use god to feel better about the things they clearly know are wrong, use god to know they are going to a better place after death, use god...overall, to feel stronger and not alone.

God is just as human.
and the bible, is a bunch of events that were excused with god, backed up by this god.

Don't mind me, I'm just preaching what God told me to preach. :)

....nurfed quote train.

I agree on the first part 100%

Second part falls into the faith in god or no faith in god side.

and as for the 3rd part: Did he sound cool?
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:48:58  
Caitsith.Surreal said:
Anyone's allowed to say or believe anything that they want, Critizing another for them not having your belief is wrong and that's how wars get started. Everyone's bound to have different opinions, Not one person is the same.. So let's try to have a discussion without things getting out of hand lol.. Probably won't happen because this is a very taboo subject.

But I think everyone here is proving a very good point, and since I'm just not well educated into either subject I can't prove a good debater, I just say what I know lol.

Edit: I mean by what I say by what I know.. I mean random subjects that aren't necassarily saying that I'm completely disproving the existance of a god, Just pointing out little things that not everyone may see..
I believe in morals, something christianity lacks overall, not the people, just the religion overall... so it's pretty hard to maintain an argument with a christian with out them flipping out.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:50:56  
@Xet, he talked like his voice was comming out of the toilet, a weird small echo in between his words.

He still told me to preach these things you know? For the sake of the earth, then he told me to sacrifice my son to him.
yeah, because well, his voice came out of the toilet and told me he was god, I'll proceed with this action and instantly believe in him.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-09 02:51:57  
Phoenix.Darki said:
@Xet, he talked like his voice was comming out of the toilet, a weird small echo in between his words.

He still told me to preach these things you know? For the sake of the earth, then he told me to sacrifice my son to him.
yeah, because well, his voice came out of the toilet and told me he was god, I'll proceed with this action and instantly believe in him.

Using Christianity or any faith as a joke point in a debate based around religion makes you look as ignorant as I assumed you were.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:52:06  
Simply, religion to seems to be a fictional answer to the unanswerable questions that have existed in our minds for eons. Faith can be a tool for self empowerment and an individualistic view on the way things are and perhaps should be. However, when one puts these ideals into a manner of preaching, alienating, brainwashing, violently pushing these upon others like we have for thousands of years, it no longer becomes religion, but rather a cult.
 Caitsith.Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-09 02:52:56  
Religions contradict each other; therefore, they cannot all be true.

Mormonism teaches that there are many gods in existence, and that you can become a god. Christianity teaches that there is only one God, and you cannot become a god. Islam teaches that Jesus is not God in flesh, where Christianity does. Jesus cannot be both God and not God at the same time. Some religions teach that we reincarnate, while others do not. Some teach there is a hell, and others do not. They cannot all be true. If they cannot all be true, it cannot be true that all religions lead to God. Furthermore, it means that some religions are, at the very least, false in their claims to reveal the true God (or gods). Remember, truth does not contradict itself. If God exists, He will not institute mutually exclusive and contradictory belief systems in an attempt to get people to believe in Him. God is not the author of confusion (1 Cor. 14:33). Therefore, it is reasonable to believe that there can be an absolute spiritual truth, and that not all systems can be true regardless of whether or not they claim to be true. There must be more than a mere claim.

There are such things as absolute truths

If truth is relative, then the statement that truth is relative is an absolute truth and would be a self-defeating statement by proving that truth is not relative. But, if truth is absolute, then the statement "truth is absolute" is true and not self-defeating. It is true that truth exists. It is true that truth will not contradict itself as we have just seen. In fact, it is absolutely true that you are reading this paper.

If we can see that there is such a thing as truth in the world, then we could also see that there can be spiritual truth as well. It is not absurd to believe in spiritual absolutes anymore than physical or logical absolutes. Even the statement that all religions lead to God is a statement held to be a spiritual absolute by many people. This simply demonstrates that people do believe in spiritual truth. Why? Because truth exists. However, not all that is believed to be true actually is true. Furthermore, all belief systems cannot be true since they often contradict each other in profound ways -- and truth is not self-contradictory.

Sorry for the wall of text XD
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-09 02:53:03  
And before anyone thinks I'm a devout Christian think again, I hate seeing logical failings on both side of the argument.
 Caitsith.Surreal
By Caitsith.Surreal 2010-06-09 02:53:31  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Caitsith.Surreal said:

I believe in morals, something christianity lacks overall, not the people, just the religion overall... so it's pretty hard to maintain an argument with a christian with out them flipping out.

That's true lol D:
 Shiva.Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-09 02:54:18  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Caitsith.Surreal said:

Well Religion just plain sucks anyway. Religion is made to evolve, the fact it doesn't means you get people from all denominations forcing out dated crap at you. Faith is vibrant and constantly tested and changed.

Also i disagree with an ealier statement. Chosing to have blind faith does not make you a robot at all as you still made the choice in the same way you chose not to have faith.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:55:20  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

Using Christianity or any faith as a joke point in a debate based around religion makes you look as ignorant as I assumed you were.

see what I mean when christians flip out, and instantly proceed to flame you with the word 'ignorance'?
It waas a joke between me and my friend, you can run around from it, it wasnt directed at you in the first place, if it was that would've made me an ignorant, but the fact that you flipped out at it makes me wonder if I should continue our debate, since you keep running out of arguments, eventually you will call me something more than ignorant.

It's a joke, I could've used abortion as the subject of the joke, because it's also another taboo subject, does that make me ignorant? no actually, just makes me less sensitive to what you think about it.
 Valefor.Slipispsycho
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Slipispsycho 2010-06-09 02:55:56  
Oh just for the record since I forgot to comment on that.. I'm not beyond accepting that there may have been a conscious higher power that was responsibile for us being here (I don't think it's very likely..)

What I have a problem with is organized religion.. The thought that a creator expects everyone to bow down before him and kiss his ***.. The bible states that god is all knowing, all wise and all forgiving.. YET, he 'made us', even knowing that not everyone would bow down to him, that he would be questioned.. So if that bugged him, why make us in the first place?

Religion makes no sense.. None of it does.. There's HUGE (yes, HUGE) contradictions in every single religion.. Pretty much all (current anyways) religions state we have a single creator that IS omnipotent, and knows where his creation will be even in another 4.5 billion years.. So either you got your god all screwed up, you done went and construed what he wants from his people.. Or he just simply isn't there..

Even without evidence to prove how you were wrong, I can still prove you wrong.. You base your religion off a book of ancient texts, and those texts don't match up, every few chapters there's a brand new god with a completely different set of values/expectations.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-09 02:57:00  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

see what I mean when christians flip out, and instantly proceed to flame you with the word 'ignorance'?
It waas a joke between me and my friend, you can run around from it, it wasnt directed at you in the first place, if it was that would've made me an ignorant, but the fact that you flipped out at it makes me wonder if I should continue our debate, since you keep running out of arguments, eventually you will call me something more than ignorant.

It's a joke, I could've used abortion as the subject of the joke, because it's also another taboo subject, does that make me ignorant? no actually, just makes me less sensitive to what you think about it.

I'm not a christian, and I'm far from flipping out.

(I CAN STEREOTYPE TOO!)Every atheist feels the need to ridicule over using logical debates.
 Gilgamesh.Samuraiking
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Samuraiking 2010-06-09 02:57:14  
Everything everyone does and/or believes in is stupid and/or wrong and I hate and/or dislike all of you and your opinions. Thank you for your time.

Agnosticism or gtfo.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-09 02:57:41  
Faith is a funny thing. One would like to think it can be tested, changed, and adjusted as one moves through life and yields to inevitable changes to mind and body and conditions we live in. However, the nature of faith itself is inner determination, confidence, knowing the unproven and more than anything staples itself on one attribute: fortitude. Something unyielding, steadfast and free from outer influence or change.

Completely contrary to the scientific method in of itself.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-09 02:57:54  
Shiva.Xet said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Caitsith.Surreal said:

Well Religion just plain sucks anyway. Religion is made to evolve, the fact it doesn't means you get people from all denominations forcing out dated crap at you. Faith is vibrant and constantly tested and changed.

Also i disagree with an ealier statement. Chosing to have blind faith does not make you a robot at all as you still made the choice in the same way you chose not to have faith.

*** please, your ignorant because you said religion sucks, IGNORANT I TELL YOU, DONT SAY THAT ON A DEBATE THREAD, IT'S IMPORTANT! /chokes you
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-09 02:58:10  
Agnoticism is the most logical attitude, and it's why I follow it.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 9 10 11