Blue Mage to me is
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Odin.Kalico
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2010-04-14 11:54:39  
Leviathan.Thornyy said:
I wouldn't recommend using it in any endgame or group activity, really. I could go out and list all my BLU gear and such, but it's easier to just say it's everything Brain has morrigan's mahatma body kogg vbelt a few other minor upgrades.. it's still worthless. It's a neat job for a few assaults/solos/etc, but it's not practical for anything group-orientated.

This guy is just lol. your just better off saying you don't like playing blu because everything you said here is utter bs lmao
[+]
 Bismarck.Drakelth
サーバ: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2010-04-14 12:09:17  
I take blu to endgame all the time and do plenty damgae go /thf and use SA vert cleave do 1.2 or a 1200 heat breath, hell i eat most sea things alive.

oddly enough they taste like chicken.
[+]
 Remora.Eriuddo
サーバ: Remora
user: Eriuddo
By Remora.Eriuddo 2010-04-14 12:19:10  
Quote:
This guy is just lol. your just better off saying you don't like playing blu because everything you said here is utter bs lmao
I tried playing BLU in every single event my linkshell does. I've tried most of the playstyles people recommend, breath-whoring in xarc, regurgitation soloing, crowd control in ein, etc. None of it is more efficient than me changing jobs. The only serious use I'd give them is 2x blu stunlocking and frightful roaring in einherjar, but that's only practical if you're bringing 18+ people and can afford to give up slots.. ironically enough, it's also unnecessary with 18+ because mobs should be dying fast enough that tp isn't a major concern.

Limbus: Solely #/people, if you can win a zone with one less person then you can put that person in another zone and get more chips. Killspeed is irrelevant as is #/coins, as their value pales in comparison to that of chips. BLU is unnecessary and impractical for any of that, as other DD will do more damage and you require a mage anyway so BLU's self-sufficiency is drowned out.

Dynamis: Monsters don't live long enough to value stun or defense down. Melee destroy eyes/statues, so breathing them is pretty underwhelming in time saved. Breath attacks work well on regular demons in xarcabard, but BLU still fails to outparse the real DD.

HNM: Cannonball is ok. BLM is better.
Magic-Resistant HNM: Cannonball is ok. SAM is better.

Situations where BLU is the best job choice are situations where your general strategy falls short. It's certainly a neat job with a few cool applications, but it's not practical for much as far as group play goes. Jack of all trades, master of none. Since FFXI revolves around role-filling, bringing a BLU to handle 'general things' is wasting space in your group.
Quote:
I take blu to endgame all the time and do plenty damgae go /thf and use SA vert cleave do 1.2 or a 1200 heat breath, hell i eat most sea things alive.
A BLM can also do 1200 damage on sea things, with a lesser mp cost and shorter recast.

blah, posted on wrong char, not that it matters
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
サーバ: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-14 12:24:20  
Sylph.Spiriel said:
Fairy.Basilo said:
Meh gear aside my point was blm has 4 sleeps bind and gravity and blu has like 2 sleeps where the max casting range is smaller a bind and aoe? grav which often fails.
Ahem. Yawn (Actinic Burst first to get them facing you,) Soporific, Sheep Song, Pinecone Bomb. That's two light-based AoE, one dark-based AoE, and one element-less Sleep Bolt-style damage sleep. Frypan and Temporal Shift for AoE stun. Head Butt for a very, very low recast stun as opposed to your 45 seconds. And Diamondhide to steal a little thunder from SMNs. If you're comparing BLU and BLM, then typical FFXI answer: It's situational. Sometimes you're going to want that greater range, Elemental Seal, and a good old fashioned Burst II. And sometimes you're going to want a sleeper that can actually take a little abuse from mobs, and brings more to the table than just ranged magic attack spells.

K oops I forgot yawn so thats 4 sleeps for blu yawn/sporific/sheepsong/pineconebomb vs 4 sleeps for blm, both got gravity and bind, blm has 1 stun blu has 3-4 but I believe all of them cause dmg at same time which wld mess with sleeps. So both are fairly strong crowd control jobs for say dynamis but I still believe pty of blms trumps pty of blus. I still like blu and disagree with people who say it has no use but overall to say blu >> blm for crowd control is a bit ... off.
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-14 12:26:32  
"A BLM can also do 1200 damage on sea things, with a lesser mp cost and shorter recast."

For example this is totally wrong, blu has blm on this 1200 dmg for shorter recast and like 70mp cost.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2010-04-14 12:27:10  
BLU spell animations are cool, and the AF looks awesome. /thread
[+]
 Leviathan.Thornyy
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2010-04-14 12:33:32  
Fairy.Basilo said:
"A BLM can also do 1200 damage on sea things, with a lesser mp cost and shorter recast."

For example this is totally wrong, blu has blm on this 1200 dmg for shorter recast and like 70mp cost.
Oh, so now you can cycle through breaths indefinitely? Last I checked, the breaths cost 120-160 mp each depending which one, required specific positioning, and had 50 second recasts. Best of all, if you get hit, you can't keep using them until you're cured. A BLM can cycle through as many spells as they want while maintaining a similar mp efficiency, sub nin if required at no loss to damage, and have stun/bind/sleep all at once. Now, now, I'm sure some emo little *** is going to come in and say 'But Thorny, BLU can set all those spells at once!'. No. If you're making a proper breath or cannonball build, a lot of your set points are set around stat increases. You can't do a consistant 1200 with anywhere near the frequency a BLM can. It costs more mp over time, requires you fulltime hp gear, and is very hard to use on a moving target.

The ONLY situation in endgame that would favor a BLU over another job is temperance with a group, which in itself is inefficient since it's laughably easy to duo or trio with RDM RDM (SMN).
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-04-14 12:33:47  
Remora.Eriuddo said:
Quote:
I tried playing BLU in every single event my linkshell does. I've tried most of the playstyles people recommend, breath-whoring in xarc, regurgitation soloing, crowd control in ein, etc. None of it is more efficient than me changing jobs. The only serious use I'd give them is 2x blu stunlocking and frightful roaring in einherjar, but that's only practical if you're bringing 18 people and can afford to give up slots.. ironically enough, it's also unnecessary with 18 because mobs should be dying fast enough that tp isn't a major concern. Limbus: Solely #/people, if you can win a zone with one less person then you can put that person in another zone and get more chips. Killspeed is irrelevant as is #/coins, as their value pales in comparison to that of chips. BLU is unnecessary and impractical for any of that, as other DD will do more damage and you require a mage anyway so BLU's self-sufficiency is drowned out. Dynamis: Monsters don't live long enough to value stun or defense down. Melee destroy eyes/statues, so breathing them is pretty underwhelming in time saved. Breath attacks work well on regular demons in xarcabard, but BLU still fails to outparse the real DD. HNM: Cannonball is ok. BLM is better. Magic-Resistant HNM: Cannonball is ok. SAM is better. Situations where BLU is the best job choice are situations where your general strategy falls short. It's certainly a neat job with a few cool applications, but it's not practical for much as far as group play goes. Jack of all trades, master of none. Since FFXI revolves around role-filling, bringing a BLU to handle 'general things' is wasting space in your group.
Quote:
A BLM can also do 1200 damage on sea things, with a lesser mp cost and shorter recast. blah, posted on wrong char, not that it matters

Your blu must be gimp or your just doing it wrong so yeah if i was you i'd switch jobs but a good blu can perform very well in most endgame
[+]
 Garuda.Aurilius
サーバ: Garuda
user: Aurilius
By Garuda.Aurilius 2010-04-14 12:37:45  
Quote:
A BLM can also do 1200 damage on sea things, with a lesser mp cost and shorter recast.

Are you HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE? My cannonballs cost a hell of a lot less than any BLM ancient magic. It's also up once every minute. How often do blms cast ancient magic? If its faster than every 1 minute, they are going to die anyway.

Can a blm transfer hate via ancient magic as well? I can on blu.

I understand what some people are saying, but at the same time I have a use in every event.

Whoever said something about blu in einherjar, I'll take headbutt spam on bosses to go along with blm stuns any day. Unless you're bringing chainstunners, it's good to have.
 Remora.Eriuddo
サーバ: Remora
By Remora.Eriuddo 2010-04-14 12:37:58  
Odin.Kalico said:
Your blu must be gimp or your just doing it wrong so yeah if i was you i'd switch jobs but a good blu can perform very well in most endgame
This isn't about my BLU's gear or how I play it. I have proper sets for all of my spells, comprehensive gear for everything, etc. I like the job and I love how it can perform so many roles, why else would I have spent god knows how long learning spells? The problem is, anything I think I could bring BLU to, I know I will perform better on another job. The main logic behind using BLU is because the person does not have every job 75 or is stubborn/stuck in their ways.. a quick glance at your page implies my BLU gear is better than yours is, but please feel free to tell me what you think I'm doing wrong.
[+]
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-14 12:41:08  
Leviathan.Thornyy said:
Fairy.Basilo said:
"A BLM can also do 1200 damage on sea things, with a lesser mp cost and shorter recast." For example this is totally wrong, blu has blm on this 1200 dmg for shorter recast and like 70mp cost.
Oh, so now you can cycle through breaths indefinitely? Last I checked, the breaths cost 120-160 mp each depending which one, required specific positioning, and had 50 second recasts. Best of all, if you get hit, you can't keep using them until you're cured. A BLM can cycle through as many spells as they want while maintaining a similar mp efficiency, sub nin if required at no loss to damage, and have stun/bind/sleep all at once. Now, now, I'm sure some emo little *** is going to come in and say 'But Thorny, BLU can set all those spells at once!'. No. If you're making a proper breath or cannonball build, a lot of your set points are set around stat increases. You can't do a consistant 1200 with anywhere near the frequency a BLM can. It costs more mp over time, requires you fulltime hp gear, and is very hard to use on a moving target. The ONLY situation in endgame that would favor a BLU over another job is temperance with a group, which in itself is inefficient since it's laughably easy to duo or trio with RDM RDM (SMN).

Sorry didnt think you just meant breaths, you did just say sea mobs not specifically jailers or ix aerns so I assumed ul/om phuabo/xzomit/euvhi/aern/hpemde and for those mobs blu beats blm usually 70mp?ish disseverment 1200 vs 1200 tier4 for 172ish mp ...
[+]
 Leviathan.Thornyy
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2010-04-14 12:41:23  
Quote:
Are you HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE? My cannonballs cost a hell of a lot less than any BLM ancient magic. It's also up once every minute. How often do blms cast ancient magic? If its faster than every 1 minute, they are going to die anyway.
No. Ancient Magic is an ABYSMAL use of MP, thunder and blizzard 3/4s are where it's at. That said, how will a BLM die?
Ix'Mobs: Can kite forever, yawn. If you have a big group one round of BLM nukes will kill them.
Fort: Can kite forever, yawn.
Faith: Can kite forever, yawn.
Temperance: BLM sucks. BLU is good if not duo/trioing, but by the same logic you could send 2 RDM + a SMN there and bring the rest of your group to another trigger for more efficiency.
Hope: SAM DD
Love: SAM DD
Justice: SAM DD, BLU or BLM can both one shot pets, BLM is more reliable for doing so
Prudence: Can kite forever, yawn.
Quote:
Sorry didnt think you just meant breaths, you did just say sea mobs not specifically jailers or ix aerns so I assumed ul/om phuabo/xzomit/euvhi/aern/hpemde and for those mobs blu beats blm usually 70mp?ish disseverment 1200 vs 1200 tier4 for 172ish mp ...
Fair enough, but not sure how those fall into endgame as opposed to screwing around solo. BLU is great for soloing weaker things, it's a fun job to play around with, but all the BLU fanatics who think it's the best thing ever have failed to give me one situation where it's most practical in endgame.
[+]
 Garuda.Aurilius
サーバ: Garuda
user: Aurilius
By Garuda.Aurilius 2010-04-14 12:45:15  
I wasn't talking only Sea, but apparently you guys were. Disseverment and Cannonball are still less MP than even tier 4s.
 Leviathan.Thornyy
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2010-04-14 12:48:04  
Garuda.Aurilius said:
I wasn't talking only Sea, but apparently you guys were. Disseverment and Cannonball are still less MP than even tier 4s.
Yes, but disseverment won't match a T4's damage on anything that has enough defense to use BLMs instead of TP burning. It won't match a melee's damage on anything TP burned. Cannonball won't match a T4's damage unless SAed, and with the recast that places a strong limit on damage dealt.. especially if you run a risk of flailing.
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-04-14 12:54:30  
Remora.Eriuddo said:
Odin.Kalico said:
This isn't about my BLU's gear or how I play it. I have proper sets for all of my spells, comprehensive gear for everything, etc. I like the job and I love how it can perform so many roles, why else would I have spent god knows how long learning spells? The problem is, anything I think I could bring BLU to, I know I will perform better on another job. The main logic behind using BLU is because the person does not have every job 75 or is stubborn/stuck in their ways.. a quick glance at your page implies my BLU gear is better than yours is, but please feel free to tell me what you think I'm doing wrong.

Well since you have your gear hidden there is no way to confirm what you say lol or what stuff you even have for blu if you have a 75 blu... I'm missing very few items for my Blu (enkidu hands and legs,sea ws gorget,and 10 nails for my antea) other than that my blu Very well geared..I don't have a morrigans body I have my AF+1 which is better. (or a tizona either and will probably never will) My blu fully merited.. I'm good bro my blu does very good damage and I can hang in there with the best DD plus enfbl support heal ect...
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-04-14 12:57:37  
The best Blu cannot beat the best Sam, so who cares!
[+]
 Leviathan.Thornyy
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2010-04-14 12:58:14  
I posted on the wrong profile by mistake, same person. AF+1 body isn't better, you use more than one body.. morrigan's is used for nukes and idle.. af+1 for physical spells. Hurf. Shame the only people defending blu are such gimps =/
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-14 13:00:26  
Odin.Kalico said:
Remora.Eriuddo said:
Odin.Kalico said:

Well since you have your gear hidden there is no way to confirm what you say lol or what stuff you even have for blu if you have a 75 blu... I'm missing very few items for my Blu (enkidu hands and legs,sea ws gorget,and 10 nails for my antea) other than that my blu Very well geared..I don't have a morrigans body I have my AF 1 which is better. (or a tizona either and will probably never will) My blu fully merited.. I'm good bro my blu does very good damage and I can hang in there with the best DD plus enfbl support heal ect...

I'm not getting into this discussion, but I can assure you he has almost perfect BLU gear. 4/5 Morrigan's, I believe full or almost full Enkidu, Homam, DD gear from other jobs, etc etc. Whatever BLU requires he has the gear from all of his other jobs.
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-04-14 13:03:49  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Odin.Kalico said:
Remora.Eriuddo said:
Odin.Kalico said:
Well since you have your gear hidden there is no way to confirm what you say lol or what stuff you even have for blu if you have a 75 blu... I'm missing very few items for my Blu (enkidu hands and legs,sea ws gorget,and 10 nails for my antea) other than that my blu Very well geared..I don't have a morrigans body I have my AF 1 which is better. (or a tizona either and will probably never will) My blu fully merited.. I'm good bro my blu does very good damage and I can hang in there with the best DD plus enfbl support heal ect...
I'm not getting into this discussion, but I can assure you he has almost perfect BLU gear. 4/5 Morrigan's, I believe full or almost full Enkidu, Homam, DD gear from other jobs, etc etc. Whatever BLU requires he has the gear from all of his other jobs.

lol
 Leviathan.Thornyy
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2010-04-14 13:07:17  
My gear isn't hidden if you check this profile, BLU af/relic aren't scanned yet because I haven't been caught on it, but shouldn't be hard to see that I have most everything relevant. As I said before, I own literally every piece of gear Brain listed + some extra.. the job just falls short of real DDs.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-14 13:08:22  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
^ She would know. What I've seen of his gear on BG corroborates this as well...
Leviathan.Thornyy said:
I posted on the wrong profile by mistake, same person. AF 1 body isn't better, you use more than one body.. morrigan's is used for nukes and idle.. af 1 for physical spells. Hurf. Shame the only people defending blu are such gimps =/
Hard to argue when you're right -.- From a maximum efficiency standpoint, BLU pales in comparison to specialized jobs. It's a well-designed job, it just doesn't match the current FFXI metagame (which revolves around the use of specialists along with jobs like RDM, DRK, and SAM).
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-04-14 13:11:17  
Leviathan.Thornyy said:
I posted on the wrong profile by mistake, same person. AF 1 body isn't better, you use more than one body.. morrigan's is used for nukes and idle.. af 1 for physical spells. Hurf. Shame the only people defending blu are such gimps =/

Lmao Who said i full timed af+1 its better for physical over morrigans hands down and i'm sure its better for magical too nothing is beating that 15 blu magic skill. for idleing i have relic body....and yeah I see you have very good gear now so its just goes back to what i said earlier your just better off saying you don't like playing blu because by saying it has no place in endgame just shows your ignorance or you just don't like playing blu. But and decent blu can perform very well in endgame... thats a fact.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-14 13:13:29  
Odin.Kalico said:
i'm sure its better for magical too nothing is beating that 15 blu magic skill.
You'd be wrong about that unless your resist rate is goddamn terrible, at which point I'm sure you'd know to use different spells.
Quote:
But and decent blu can perform very well in endgame... thats a fact.
Very well =/= best. Thornyy's shell revolves around methods that push the limits of lowman and efficiency. Figuring out why he doesn't prefer BLU as a result should be pretty easy.
[+]
 Leviathan.Stunx
user: Bungie
By Leviathan.Stunx 2010-04-14 13:17:25  
lol blu wannabe's, half of yall really dont know what ur talking about, cute read though.
 Asura.Daleterrence
サーバ: Asura
user: Dalight
By Asura.Daleterrence 2010-04-14 13:19:29  
Leviathan.Stunx said:
lol blu wannabe's, half of yall really dont know what ur talking about, cute read though.

Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-14 13:19:59  
Leviathan.Stunx said:
Your BLU TP set is masterful trolling, bravo.
[+]
 Odin.Kalico
By Odin.Kalico 2010-04-14 13:22:46  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Odin.Kalico said:
You'd be wrong about that unless your resist rate is goddamn terrible, at which point I'm sure you'd know to use different spells.
Quote:
Very well =/= best. Thornyy's shell revolves around methods that push the limits of lowman and efficiency. Figuring out why he doesn't prefer BLU as a result should be pretty easy.

what ever man... yawn....my point is Blu can perform well in most situtations...Yes blu is not the best DD its not made for that its a jack of all trades DD and at this it performs very well and no very well doesn't mean best its means very well. To sit up here and make a general statement that the job has no place in endgame is just stupid i don't care how good of a player that guys is or what gear he has or what his lowman ls does the guy is wrong about blu being worthless in endgame. Blu can do decent DD blu can sleep,enfbl,and heal in endgame thats what it can do, to deny this is just being stubborn..
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-14 13:25:52  
Odin.Kalico said:
my point is Blu can perform decent in most situtations...Yes blu is not the best DD its not made for that its a jack or all trades DD and at this it performs very well and no very well doesn't mean best its means very well... to deny this is just being stubborn..
You'll notice that nobody has denied this.
[+]
 Leviathan.Thornyy
By Leviathan.Thornyy 2010-04-14 13:39:24  
BLU does adequately at everything. They're fine if you don't have other jobs. The problem arises from people who think BLU is better than any other job at anything: If you have perfect options and can bring whatever you want, you'd never bring a BLU.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-04-14 13:46:19  
Odin.Kalico said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Odin.Kalico said:
Quote:

what ever man... yawn....my point is Blu can perform well in most situtations...Yes blu is not the best DD its not made for that its a jack of all trades DD and at this it performs very well and no very well doesn't mean best its means very well. To sit up here and make a general statement that the job has no place in endgame is just stupid i don't care how good of a player that guys is or what gear he has or what his lowman ls does the guy is wrong about blu being worthless in endgame. Blu can do decent DD blu can sleep,enfbl,and heal in endgame thats what it can do, to deny this is just being stubborn..

some serious irony here
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10