New Items
users online
laptop
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2010-03-26 09:34:32  
i am going to be getting a new laptop soon and just woundering what is a good laptop to run FFXI on?
 Sylph.Spency
サーバ: Sylph
user: Spencyono
By Sylph.Spency 2010-03-26 09:45:27  
Not an LG!
 Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Cardinalgate 2010-03-26 10:15:12  
just get a PC
 Asura.Revelation
サーバ: Asura
user: Oric
By Asura.Revelation 2010-03-26 10:25:04  
I used to play on PC, but it was getting out dated, and plus a laptop was almost necessary for school/work, so I went with a Dell XPS 1730 (about a year old now). It works great for playing FFXI. While at home I semi use it as a desktop I guess you could say. I connect it to my 42" HDTV (bought laptop with HDMI output) and use a wireless key board & mouse (or xbox 360 controller), And can chill in a nice comfy chair/bed while playing.

Overall i'm really happy with it for having to "laptop game", I'd much rather have bought a shiny new Desktop, but that just wasn't optimal for my situation.
 Fairy.Basilo
サーバ: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-03-26 10:33:56  
Funny you mention Dell XPS. I own Dell XPS 1210 laptop, urgh thats how bad this laptop is, it submitted somehow I didnt click submit anyway Im just gonna get to the point cos this laptop really is quite bad at the moment.

Try to only get a laptop for light use only and own a desktop pc too, ffxi isnt really light gaming for alot of us. Using a laptop pc like a desktop kept at home 99% of time plugged into mains is what ive done and it just burns the laptop out pretty much. This has been on constantly since i bought it.

Notebook hardware control says the current CPU temp is 65 degrees C and HD temp of 46. It peaks at 71 and will shut down at 75 say if radiator is on with window closed. I hear that it has something to do with re applying adhesive? im told to heat sink, but not something im gonna do.

Ya 3 yrs waranty problems start just after build up when I asked for quote via email told me cheaper to get new laptop. But Ive also read people with same problem on M1210 just installing a stronger fan to fix problem.

Anyways im rambling on...

TLTR - Try to get laptop for light use only and dont keep it plugged in to mains always fully charge then drain the battery. Gl in your quest for a new laptop.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-03-26 10:45:50  
I forgot to add, if its a powerful machine make sure they add enough fkin air vents, and avoid using laptop on your lap lol... flat surface.
 Fenrir.Fearforever
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Fearforever 2010-03-26 10:57:03  
Get a Dell Inspirion 1564.

Mines got a Intel Core i5 2.4Ghz (turbo 2.93Ghz boost), 4GB DDR3, Mobiltity Radeon HD4330 etc. and runs FFXI on 2048x2048 background res, Bump mappingg, Mip mapping, shadows on full, weather effects and even with Drawdistance on 20 still get a constant 29 Fps and 20+ in Beseidge and Campaigns.

Barely gets hot and even runs Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, Command & Conquer 4 on high to ultra-high settings :D

if you go to Dell now you can get the same laptop with a Mobility Radeon HD5400 (much more powerful) for only £629
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-03-26 11:00:54  
Fenrir.Fearforever said:
Get a Dell Inspirion 1564. Mines got a Intel Core i5 2.4Ghz (turbo 2.93Ghz boost), 4GB DDR3, Mobiltity Radeon HD4330 etc. and runs FFXI on 2048x2048 background res, Bump mappingg, Mip mapping, shadows on full, weather effects and even with Drawdistance on 20 still get a constant 29 Fps and 20 in Beseidge and Campaigns. Barely gets hot and even runs Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, Command & Conquer 4 on high to ultra-high settings :D if you go to Dell now you can get the same laptop with a Mobility Radeon HD5400 (much more powerful) for only £629

Lol sounds like you wrk for them, you should ask to do some commercials for them :D. Ya im sure some Dells are good my parents have both had reliable inspirons this particular xps model is bad tho.
 Cerberus.Oric
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Oric 2010-03-26 11:15:49  
Aye, I've heard of a few problems out of those models Basilo. How long have you had it?
 Cerberus.Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2010-03-26 11:17:59  
Also, when playing FFXI I sit my computer on a dual fan cooling pad, never even gets warm to the touch.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-03-26 11:31:48  
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name RICK
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model MXC062
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1831 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A08, 10/07/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 125.17 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB

As for the age it was 18th bday present 1200 new O.O i had to chip in half and im 23 now so ya 5yrs I guess it is. Im not trying to cry over spilt milk at all btw lol just making convo and wanna make it clear to people my above points; keep room well ventilated and dont keep plugged into mains 24/7 if u get a laptop. Although if any genius does have a soltion to this common problem on M1210 lemme know as long as it doesnt cost more than a new laptop would.
 Lakshmi.Auroralith
By Lakshmi.Auroralith 2010-03-26 11:34:16  
Any laptop should work fine; I have a 4 year old sony Vaio and it plays the game just fine. So any computer out there now is way better then mine, no need to get a fancy gaming computer.
 Fairy.Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-03-26 11:36:56  
Lakshmi.Auroralith said:
Any laptop should work fine; I have a 4 year old sony Vaio and it plays the game just fine. So any computer out there now is way better then mine, no need to get a fancy gaming computer.

Yep thats another good point too wish I did this on my 18th and bought an inspiron for half the price of an XPS I dont rly play games besides this. Cheap is cheerful!
 Leviathan.Dubont
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-03-26 11:39:09  
Gateway FX series gaming laptop. It is around $1k but it will last a while. I have had mine for a year and it still runs FFXI like a charm while doing other things (go go ventrilo)
 Lakshmi.Auroralith
By Lakshmi.Auroralith 2010-03-26 11:50:44  
Fairy.Basilo said:
Lakshmi.Auroralith said:

Yep thats another good point too wish I did this on my 18th and bought an inspiron for half the price of an XPS I dont rly play games besides this. Cheap is cheerful!
yeah but im sure for double the price you got a sweet computer. It will diffidently run better on the XPS but when you cant spend 1k on a laptop the other would do way better then mine.

I think ill ask daddy for a new one for my bday lol ^^
 Ifrit.Duanyu
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Duanyu
By Ifrit.Duanyu 2010-03-26 11:57:42  
Asura.Revelation said:
I used to play on PC, but it was getting out dated, and plus a laptop was almost necessary for school/work, so I went with a Dell XPS 1730 (about a year old now). It works great for playing FFXI. While at home I semi use it as a desktop I guess you could say. I connect it to my 42" HDTV (bought laptop with HDMI output) and use a wireless key board & mouse (or xbox 360 controller), And can chill in a nice comfy chair/bed while playing.

Overall i'm really happy with it for having to "laptop game", I'd much rather have bought a shiny new Desktop, but that just wasn't optimal for my situation.

I have that exact computer, runs FFXI great as stated above. The XPS 1730 is really more of a portable desktop than a laptop lol, but I still love it.
 Cerberus.Oric
By Cerberus.Oric 2010-03-26 13:24:58  
Ifrit.Duanyu said:
Asura.Revelation said:
I used to play on PC, but it was getting out dated, and plus a laptop was almost necessary for school/work, so I went with a Dell XPS 1730 (about a year old now). It works great for playing FFXI. While at home I semi use it as a desktop I guess you could say. I connect it to my 42" HDTV (bought laptop with HDMI output) and use a wireless key board & mouse (or xbox 360 controller), And can chill in a nice comfy chair/bed while playing. Overall i'm really happy with it for having to "laptop game", I'd much rather have bought a shiny new Desktop, but that just wasn't optimal for my situation.
I have that exact computer, runs FFXI great as stated above. The XPS 1730 is really more of a portable desktop than a laptop lol, but I still love it.

No doubt, that computer is not a joke, it's large enough to be a desktop LOL