フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Macbook Problem
Macbook Problem
 Hades.Kvazz
サーバ: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-19 05:46:49  
To all the "lolmac" people, gtfo <_>
Mac _is_ better than Windows. The few times some problem comes up with a mac all the windows-people go like: "haha, mac sucks".
But, between those problems, windows get like 10 problems, but nobody cares, because that happends to windows alot.

Allso, Vista -> XP :P I´ve been running Vista for allmost 2 years and I havent had a single bluescreen, or any problems at all, but my XP machines get stupid problems all the time.
If you think vista suck, get a non-sucky computer, it´s your computer that sucks, not vista.

But yeah, to eject the CD, try to hold down the mouse button as you boot (wierd, I know, but it should work).

Havent had a similar problem myself, so I´m not sure what to do to fix this problem >_<

Edit:
Hades.Amnesia said:
I was a windows user for a great many years but go tired of the problems they created and decided to buy a iMac recently, I've not once had a problem with it (which is a joy) and also run XP via bootcamp, which does run better than my old PC lol.

Apple are the future, "PC for life" people make me lol now.

Good luck with fixing the problem though, I'm sure they'll fix it in store np.

This. Windows run better on macs than on most self-built computers. (Most, not all)

And no, I do not HATE windows, and I´m not saying this out of hate. I simply bought a mac like 2 years ago just to learn how to use it, as I work with computers, and sometimes people have mac-related problems.
After a few months with a mac... I "fell in love", OS-X is a great piece of software, stop beeing afraid and try it yourself, it´s worth the cost.
[+]
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-19 05:51:30  
Apples and oranges really. They both run on completely different standards of hardware and software alike. I prefer PC for the simple fact that it's customizable and can be built from scratch from choice parts from choice manufacturers. Not to mention simple matter of compatibility with windows.

With Mac you do get enhanced performance because its built by its own standards, and because of that you'll probably never see a virus ever again because Mac users aren't and probably never will be a target audience for any hacker/virus maker.

But really, aside from my above reasons for choosing PC, the reason I despise mac is because you're buying a name more so than anything else. It's like spending $80 on calvin klein jeans over wrangler which would be $20 but having the same look/durability. Only difference is the name/logo lol.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-19 05:56:30  
Asura.Artemicion said:
Apples and oranges really. They both run on completely different standards of hardware and software alike. I prefer PC for the simple fact that it's customizable and can be built from scratch from choice parts from choice manufacturers. Not to mention simple matter of compatibility with windows.

With Mac you do get enhanced performance because its built by its own standards, and because of that you'll probably never see a virus ever again because Mac users aren't and probably never will be a target audience for any hacker/virus maker.

But really, aside from my above reasons for choosing PC, the reason I despise mac is because you're buying a name more so than anything else. It's like spending $80 on calvin klein jeans over wrangler which would be $20 but having the same look/durability. Only difference is the name/logo lol.

Ofcourse, and for this reason, I´ll allways have a desktop computer with windows on it, and a macbook as my laptop(Not like I´m gonna play any hardcore games except for FFXI on my laptop, even tho it actually runs COD World at war and Modern warfare 2).
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-19 05:59:15  
I've always found Macs wonderfully ideal for business/school purposes for the very reason they excel at. No excess hardware/software *** if it already does everything you need it to do to begin with.

But for personal home use esp for games, I strongly prefer PC. Although I'm sure if either side got to know the ropes a little better they could hold mutual respect for one another, just comes down to a matter of preference and line of work/play in the end.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-19 06:04:35  
Asura.Artemicion said:
I've always found Macs wonderfully ideal for business/school purposes for the very reason they excel at. No excess hardware/software *** if it already does everything you need it to do to begin with.

But for personal home use esp for games, I strongly prefer PC. Although I'm sure if either side got to know the ropes a little better they could hold mutual respect for one another, just comes down to a matter of preference and line of work/play in the end.

Yeah, but most people just hate mac because they´r stupid and just assume it sucks.
OSX is actually everything Linux should have been.
Amazing OS based on UNIX, super-easy to use, very easy to learn (compared to windows, which is hell to learn), and everything just works... So I´d say a macbook is the best choice for a laptop ever, if you want to play games, just install windows on it, dual-booting is super-easy on a mac.
But for hardcore gaming, a PC -> Mac.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-02-19 07:46:11  
here's the best solution to the OP's problem...

1). slap your roommate

2). Get a PC

Macbooks are for aesthetic purposes only, like a hot blonde with no brain. Sure, she can blow you and make you see God, but in the long run, she'll come up short, and leave you with a *** taste in your mouth.
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-19 07:48:27  
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

1). slap your roommate

2). Get a PC

Macbooks are for aesthetic purposes only, like a hot blonde with no brain. Sure, she can blow you and make you see God, but in the long run, she'll come up short, and leave you with a *** taste in your mouth.

Idiot
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-02-19 07:51:27  
Hades.Kvazz said:
Ifrit.Kungfuhustle said:

1). slap your roommate

2). Get a PC

Idiot

no, I'm a PC, and I'm awesome :)
 Ifrit.Eldoras
user: EldorasS
By Ifrit.Eldoras 2010-02-19 08:28:17  
Apples are typically designed with the idea that anything prior is obsolete coding with each new OS release for Apple. This does at times require Apple owners to repurchase old software and programs. Most of the flaws in Windows if you talk to coders tends to be nearly 90% of the time caused by making Windows compatible with as much as possible, resulting in problems from an older OS platform to exist in the new one (anyone remember windows 2000, then ME then the first XP editions released and how it went down) or software issues that occur due to being so "compatible" with everything. Fact is most hackers spend more time assaulting PC's than they do Apple just because of ownership numbers; why code a program to infect a handful of systems running Apple when you can target tons more PC's.

One thing that I would say that Mac fanboys have to get over is that at least PC-users aren't so obsessed with the "its me or FU" mentality. Apple highly touts advancing their own product and ignore 3rd party tools that can enhance their product unless they can 100% control it (that's why Iphone users and Ipad users are *** blocked from macromedia flash). In other words if its not Apple (or they don't get some kickback from the manufacturer) Apple is gonna make sure your not gonna have fun with it. And for some usrs, Ipod music problems occur because Apple releases new Ipod update solely to target 3rd party music tools. I'm fine having to use the software control my Ipod by seriously hands off my fkn legitimately purchased music.

I've repaired and have worked on my previous job on BOTH FKN SYSTEMS SO DON'T ASSUME FANBOYISM ON THIS COMMENT! My only reply to most ppl who buy Apple products is to take into account the fact that Apple hardware is having faster deterioration and product rates in years (feel free to check up on the Apple website about problems on their seagate drive...OH WAIT THEY DID A GEORGE BUSH AND DELETED IT) and as they try to compete more with PC's they do try to insert more junk or decrease system specs. Spec wise, a PC running a hardware config similar to that of an Apple is a price ration of 1:2.5 and most businesses and manufactures are only able to sell PC's at the cost they do by (no surprise here)adding all the crap most ppl hate. So its either you pay more (250% more) or simply deal with it. Oh and by the way when hard drives started failing on Apple's end and noticed it, the new policy states that if a hard drive fails within the 1 year manufacturer warranty, the replacement hard drive will only be warrantied for a maximum of 90 days upon which if the 90 days have passed Apple is no longer obligated to replace the hard drive regardless of whether the device is still under the 1 year warranty. How did I find that out? I replaced a client's hard drive 4 times in 18 months. Where did he get the hard drives from? Apple. What does this mean? Expect Apple's to becom crappier. What you thought they were free norton internet security trial editions on their computers for the sake of being uber [or was it they realized they weren't impervious to viruses when they got hit by one and didn't realize it until customer's were getting hit by identity theft].

Making an argument for a PC vs mac is stupid. Why? Its like saying a $100 PS2 can be matched against a $300 Xbox. Products should be compared at the same price point and nearly the same time period when purchased. Any my only beef, my real significant issue with Apple is if there IS a fkn problem with Apple they deny it as if its blasphemy! At least I know wth I am getting with a PC.

And for extra fun:
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/324cbe11af/little-asian-pc-girl-vs-mac-parody
[+]
 Hades.Kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2010-02-19 08:34:14  
Simply put, Apple is good at making money :p
 Remora.Dubont
サーバ: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2010-02-19 10:26:15  
@ Eldoras: You hit it on the nail.

At any rate, we managed to get the disk out (finally) and now its a blank screen with the blinking folder...so I think the hard drive has failed. More to support this, we tried to install again and when it asked what disk to write it to, there was nothing there. Suggestions?
 Ragnarok.Reze
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Reze
By Ragnarok.Reze 2010-02-19 10:36:28  
Remora.Dubont said:
Ragnarok.Reze said:

I could also ask you to tell me where you're going to find a computer with a one-year warranty, 27" IPS display with 2560x1440 resolution, 4850 graphics card, 4gb of memory, 1TB hard drive, for less than $1699, since Macs are "overpriced PCs." Don't bother looking because you won't find one.

Gateway FX series gaming laptop (only gateway computer I support) Got it for $1.1k then upgraded the HDD from 320 to 2tb for about $70. 3 Year warranty included and it covers everything from hardware malfunction to me running it over with my car (yes I asked them if it covered that). Only a 17" but thats all you need for a laptop.

I don't like the design of macs. The lack of buttons on the touch pad, the lack of full size keyboard functions, the lack of macro keys and the fact that apple "does not discuss security issues" does NOT make me feel comfortable at all. At least with windows, if theres a problem, you know it. Also, when my comp messes up, I don't pay to have it fixed unless its a complete hardware *** up. I usually fix it myself. 3rd year computer system analyst major. Software is my ***.

I'm not addressing your price point because you failed to address mine. I said 2560x1440 IPS LED glass display.

You most likely don't like the trackpad because you don't know how to use it. I've talked to thousands of people- yes thousands. I work in retail- even hardcore Apple antagonists like yourself are always (not generally, always) won over by the trackpad. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3211

You can get a full size keyboard with your desktops. Not to mention any USB keyboard works with any Mac. And remind me why you need a full size keyboard on your laptop? Keep in mind, most laptops manufactured with "full-size" keyboards aren't full size at all, they have all the keys, but they're smaller and crammed in an awkward layout. In my opinion, they do nothing but take up space, create clutter and serve to be more of an inconvenience than anything. I haven't gone looking for those buttons since I've had this laptop.

And if I ever have a problem, guess what I do. I usually fix it myself. But if it's a problem that we couldn't fix due to not having extra hardware on hand guess who fixes it within 3 days, but 80% of the time, same day? Apple.

And if you're a 3rd year systems analyst major and you don't know half the stuff I'm telling you, I'd say you're only gimping your future. You'll be one-upped by the Analysts that know Macs.

Generally people are partial to what they can afford, or what they purchase. This is why the 360 vs PS3, vs Wii crap always goes out of control. And why PC vs Mac arguments exist. You're never really going to know unless you give it a shot. That's my whole point- just blindly complaining without understanding doesn't really do anything for anybody but spread rumors and misinformation.

Out of all the people who've used Apple's in this thread, you don't really see any of us complaining. I don't mind telling you all about them. For every reason not to try them, I'll give you one more reason to try them. I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. I'm trying to send you the message to at least, at least learn a little bit more about them, understand them, and accept them for what they are rather than being closed minded about the whole thing. I don't care who you are or what you do on your computer- everyone can benefit from some aspect of Apple's hardware or software in some way. It may or may not be for you, but that's entirely dependent upon you & your affinity for learning.
By Reze 2010-02-19 10:39:58  
Ragnarok.Reze said:
White/gray screen on bootup sounds like it's failing to recognize the hard drive. So I dunno, seems like you have a couple problems there. 1-800-APL-CARE is their support number.

Did you take this in the store yet? If your hard drive has failed then you probably need to get it replaced before you go any further. If you'd like, try www.ifixit.com for hard drive removal/installation to ensure that no wires came loose or anything like that. But honestly, I just wouldn't bother with it and I'd let them install a new drive for you.
 Fairy.Spiriel
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spiriel
By Fairy.Spiriel 2010-02-19 10:47:58  
Asura.Artemicion said:
Apples and oranges really. They both run on completely different standards of hardware and software alike.
False. Apples now use Intel chipsets that will not only run a Windows/Linux OS, but with a little work you can make the opposite true.

Macs are fairly stable, and Apple controls everything that goes on with their OS, meaning that integration is fairly good between programs. Microsoft is the exact opposite approach; "Here's how to write programs for it, have fun." It sure makes Windows easier to develop for, though.

On a whole, Apple charges a STEEP premium for that pretty glowing logo. A Windows PC of equal performance will typically be at LEAST 10-20% less, often more.

Best Macbook: A Dell Mini 10v.
 Remora.Dubont
サーバ: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2010-02-19 10:53:43  
@ Reze: many points to hit here.

1) I know a little about Macs, granted not as much as I should. This is what a few of my classes this sem are hitting. Also, having a roommate with a mac helps.

2) Why would I need a full sized keyboard on laptop? FFXI? Number pad is so much easier to use than the Fn+random button that I had on my other laptop. I don't think the number pad is awkward at all.

3) Fix it yourself eh? According to my roommate's warranty, if he tries to make any changes to hardware (including hard drive) it will void his warranty. Also, messing with the BIOS or anything system related will void the warranty "at apple's discretion."

4) I know HOW to use but why is it not touch sensitive (ex: touch to click)? You to press down to click anything and then use 2 fingers to right click. Imo, thats just too much to click.

I use macs in 1 of my computer classes so they aren't THAT foreign. I just don't know how to fix them systematically yet. Also, do me a favor and look up a good windows laptop (I say windows b/c PC is the wrong term to use seeing as how Macs are PCs) Now go to apple and look up a laptop with the same specs. The price is almost 3x more and it does the exact same thing. So, once again, just paying for a brand name.

At any rate, this has turned into another Mac vs PC (windows) threat and I didn't want it to. I just want a little help with my roommate's comp.

*Edit* No we haven't taken it to the store yet.
 Ragnarok.Reze
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Reze
By Ragnarok.Reze 2010-02-19 11:20:45  
Aw man- you don't need the Fn key to hit F1-F12 in Windows on a Mac. Just press F1-F12 keys like you normally would. They're there! You can set up the keyboard in Windows to determine what you need to press the Fn button for, volume/brightness adjustments or their normal functions. Also, if you change the FFXI settings to use a laptop keyboard instead of a full-size, it makes it way easier. WASD are your movement controls, IJKL are your camera controls. I even use laptop keyboard settings when I'm playing on my desktop.

My Macbook Pro that overheated got fully replaced. I upgraded the hard drive and memory in it myself. I didn't even have an extended warranty. I was out of warranty- they replaced the whole thing. As long as you're honest with them, they'll go way out of their way to help you.

The mouse is touch sensitive! System preferences, trackpad, enable "tap to click." That way you don't have to press down and actually click with your finger, you just lightly tap. It's really accurate about not registering accidental clicks as well.

lol take it to the store man, they'll fix it for you. http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Make an appointment or it'll be a hassle. When you get there check-in with somebody.

I did a huge amount of laptop research when I was looking to buy one. From experience of personal use, friend's experiences, demoing things in store... I settled on the Macbook Pro because of a combination of all those things, and the rave reviews it was getting from Cnet. It's still getting rave reviews from Cnet and it's 4 years later.

I realize you're paying a little more for an Apple. Couple things to keep in mind is what type of display you're getting, how good it looks and functions. I get 5 hours battery life on mine- the new ones get 7. My mom and brother got Toshibas around the same time I got mine, their laptops don't last for more than 5 minutes, and my mom is on her second battery. I have a 9400M nVidia card to use when I want to conserve battery, which is still plenty fast enough. When I game? It switches to the 9600GT- fast enough to run Fallout 3 on a sleek laptop. When the ambient lighting changes in the room, my display dims or gets brighter depending, also the keys on my keyboard light up. If I want to readjust it, I do just that and it holds the setting regardless of changes of ambiance. Also, if I unplug the laptop, it dims the display to conserve battery, but I can return it to full brightness as if it was plugged in with the press of a button. It's instant brightness too, since it's LED there's no warm up time. The mic and camera are high quality and integrated nicely. On other computers I've used alot of these key features are significantly lower in quality or non-existant. And they just have a great feel to them, you pick one up and you feel like you're holding a computer- not all, but many other manufacturers are using cheap plastic and they feel like toys.

You're paying for the engineering and design with Apple. That's why you don't see i5 or i7 chips in their laptops yet, because they're working on optimizing the cases, heat, power consumption, and software for when it's released. I'd say around summer probably, you'll see some higher end Apple's released.