users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Bypassing Chinese Censorship
Bypassing Chinese Censorship
 Fairy.Maruraba
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Maruraba
By Fairy.Maruraba 2010-02-11 17:56:56  
I have a friend and colleague here who is also a Facebook friend. She recently discovered that Facebook, among other things, is blocked in her home nation, China.

Facebook is pretty minor, if you ask me, but when she graduates she will likely go back home and she doesn't want to lose touch with a lot of the friends she's made over here. I'd like to help her out, but my technical know-how only goes so far. I've been looking over the matter, but if anyone here has any knowledge of proxies or of a direct procedure she could use, she, and I, would be very grateful.

Thanks!
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-11 17:59:39  
If china's ISP services are govt regulated then it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of these social networking sites are blocked for the sake of preventing potential privacy leaks or potential lawsuits for said issues that come from it. Then again, this is China. The ones who wanted to make a law for how long you stay on the computer or something like that.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-02-11 18:02:02  
She needs to marry rich American man and live in the USA D:
But I think there's a thread about this very issue. Not sure if there's a forum search or not.
 Fairy.Maruraba
サーバ: Fairy
user: Maruraba
By Fairy.Maruraba 2010-02-11 18:36:28  
You know, I forgot to check via /search, but I found a thread that discussed it. Gonna take a while to weed through it, but thanks for the suggestion! (About the thread search, not the rich American man. She's a grad student like me, none of us are rich!)
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-02-11 18:54:19  
You forgot to mention the actual reasoning behind China's censorship anyway.

They don't want to have the people know that they can have a better life than what they really have in China.