PC Fans Are Running Crazy!

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » PC Fans are running crazy!
PC Fans are running crazy!
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-10 15:42:07  
I just had the motherboard replaced on my PC and after that it seems that my fans are running at 100% all the time. Couldnt find anywhere to fix it in BIOS, and downloaded a program (SpeedFan) that was supposed to let you alter the speed of your fans, but that doesnt seem to help either. One of my fans are running at 2000 rpm or more at all times while the other one is around 1000 rpm. and the noise they are making is annoying as hell. My computer used to be super silent, couldnt even tell if it was on or not if the monior was turned off, and now this D:

Anyone knows of a program that can help fixing this before i go insane?
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-02-10 15:44:18  
Fan speed control should be taken care of in your BIOS. Make sure the fans are attached the the plugins on the motherboard labeled "CASEFAN1" etc. I wouldn't trust any programs for altering fanspeed unless they're directly from your motherboard's manufacturer.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Mameshiba
user: Mameshiba
By Garuda.Mameshiba 2010-02-10 15:45:59  
Hypnotizd speaks the truth!!
 Asura.Artemicion
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Artemicion 2010-02-10 15:47:27  
Some case fans have an external fan controller that looks like a little tiny black box with a toggle switch on it. Otherwise this should be done through the BIOS or utility software that should have come with your mobo.
 Fairy.Darkcloudx
サーバ: Fairy
By Fairy.Darkcloudx 2010-02-10 15:54:53  
I would make sure the fans are connected properly. There are specific pins they need to be plugged into to have sensor support. If they are just plugged in any old place they can get power from, they would just run full time like you are describing.

Your motherboard documentation should have some diagrams showing you where they go.

And yeah what Hypnotizd said, that stuff should be taken care of in BIOS.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-10 16:00:58  
ok well, i didnt put the motherboard in myself so i just assume that the guy at the computer store did it right, but maybe he didnt. I'll call him tomorrow.

@ Bart i downlaoded SpeedFan 4.40 and it looks like this

And nothing makes sense, not matter what i set the speed at nothing really changes.

And edit: I have been in my BIOS and checked but cant find anywhere where i can change the speed of the fans :(
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-10 16:15:57  
ok after opening up the computer and poking around some I see that its the chassi fan going full at all time. And that seems to be because there is no place to actually put the power to the chassi fan on the motherboard, so he have taken power for that fan elsewhere. I can only find 1 powersupply for a fan and thats for the CPU fan, I have no idea what kinda idiot comes up with building a motherboard with powersupply for only 1 fan.

Anyway, i guess its not dangerous or bad for the computer that the chassi fan is running at full power is it? Only thing thats gonna hurt from that is my ears, right?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2010-02-10 16:18:50  
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
ok after opening up the computer and poking around some I see that its the chassi fan going full at all time. And that seems to be because there is no place to actually put the power to the chassi fan on the motherboard, so he have taken power for that fan elsewhere. I can only find 1 powersupply for a fan and thats for the CPU fan, I have no idea what kinda idiot comes up with building a motherboard with powersupply for only 1 fan.

Anyway, i guess its not dangerous or bad for the computer that the chassi fan is running at full power is it? Only thing thats gonna hurt from that is my ears, right?
And it will draw more power causing your powersupply to use more watts/hour. But honestly probably not that much. If your fans arn't plugged into the mother board connectors then you can get aftermarket adjustment controls for your fans.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-02-10 16:19:43  
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
ok well, i didnt put the motherboard in myself so i just assume that the guy at the computer store did it right, but maybe he didnt. I'll call him tomorrow.

@ Bart i downlaoded SpeedFan 4.40 and it looks like this

And nothing makes sense, not matter what i set the speed at nothing really changes.

And edit: I have been in my BIOS and checked but cant find anywhere where i can change the speed of the fans :(

lol, i saw this and thought you guys were doing tech support on a claimbot for a fraction of a second
 Garuda.Trunksc
user: trunksc
By Garuda.Trunksc 2010-02-10 16:33:47  

This is what I thought when i read the topic.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-10 17:24:38  
Garuda.Trunksc said:

This is what I thought when i read the topic.

No wonder it makes all this noise with a bunch of ugly ppl running aroiund in it! are those viruses? o.o
 Siren.Eagleeyes
サーバ: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-02-10 17:33:12  
One of my pc's temps.
 Kujata.Akeda
サーバ: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-02-10 18:31:50  
At the risk of sounding arrogant, it makes me lol when people try to give tech support. Someone has a problem and suddenly everyone becomes a computer expert and starts spouting out nonsense. I like how everyone is just jumping on the 'look in the BIOS' bandwagon.

Fan speed is controlled by a PWM (pulse width modulation) logic signal. You need a motherboard and a fan that supports PWM mode in order to regulate their speeds. This is pretty much the standard on new computers, especially for CPU HSFs. Unfortunately most fans are only 3 pin fans, so they lack the signal wire (a 4th pin) needed to 'make them quiet'. (Some fans also have their own thermal sensors too)

You could open the case and look at the fans and the fan headers. If you see 4 wires and 4 pins, they are PWM fans (aka Smart Fans). If they only have 3, or you have a PWM fan in a 3 pin header they're just normal fans and will always run at 100%. You can't change them without using a voltage regular like the Fan Mate 2.

If you bought your computer from the store, chances are high the manufacturer locked out any fan speed control settings. If they do include one, it's usually something like 'High Performance mode' or 'Quiet mode' or something like that. There's really no fine tuning option inside the BIOS itself. If you do have one, then for Intel boards it is under 'Acoustic Options', for AMD boards the setting is under 'Cool'n'Quiet'.

You said you had your motherboard replaced, so it's possible that the one that was swamped in might not have a PWM fan or may not even support fan speed changes.

tl;dr You need special fans to be able to control their speeds or a voltage regulator. There IS a bios option for it, but if Speedfan doesn't work then you're not going to find a magic option in the BIOS.

Ohh and the BIOS options also trades performance for lower fan speeds. This is why people buy aftermarket fans, regulators and water coolers.

Siren.Eagleeyes
サーバ: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-02-10 18:49:11  
or he could just buy a fan controller

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10348/bus-218/Akasa_525_Four_Channel_Fan_Control_Pro_Thermal_Monitor_w_Alarm_Warning_-_Four_Colored_Face_Plates_AK-FC-03.html?tl=g34c17&id=Mqgth4be

You don't need any special fans. Just plug in the molex connections
By Izey 2010-02-10 18:54:28  
This is probly irrelevent but I remember I had that fan issue with my Desktop, I opened it up cleaned the chunks of dust out it, and it was silent as a roach =)
By Izey 2010-02-10 19:02:16  
Spekaing of Pc issues, re hooked up my desktop today as a matter of fact and cant run youtube videos O.O

Says "Instal latest version of Adobe Flash"

So I did. And it still says the same junk, "Maybe Javascript is turned off"

So umm how do I turn this on anyone XD?
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-02-10 19:07:39  
No idea if it'll work, but last time my fans were stuck at 20% consistently, I could turn them up using

Rivatuner

Don't know if you can do it in reverse, but I'd imagine so.

A friend bought a molex fan controller, and that worked a treat.

I'd assume there is a software option though.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-10 20:10:42  
lol thanks guys for all the answers. I already answered my own question a couple of posts back though :)
Carbuncle.Zanno said:

basically, computer is "old" motherboard is new, old motherboard supported up to 4 different fans which all could be adjusted manually, new motherboard only support 1 (!) fan, which is supported by PWM, this is the CPU fan. So the guy that put in the new motherboard bypassed the issue of the motherboard not supporting a chassi fan by draw electricity from somewhere else, and thats why it goes on full power at all time.

tl;dr

new motherboard is crap, and i was supprised that my "old" computer sounds like a powerplant with a new motherboard :x