users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Windows 7 64-bit 'Downlading Data'
Windows 7 64-bit 'Downlading Data'
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-06 18:02:36  
Alright, I have a new laptop that is running Windows 7 x64. I had 0 problems getting it installed and updated.

Every time I pick a character it freezes at the 'downloading data' screen. Eventually errors with FFXI-3001. I have completely disabled the firewall and UAC.

I even managed to get windower to work. Kinda odd windower is working before FFXI. Note: This error happens with or without windower.

I'm still googling and trying the things I find. I'm only posting here since I have an event shortly and would rather not miss it. I'll check back periodically to answer any questions and/or try suggestions.

Thanks.

Edit:
"Downlading Data" is something like "Downloading Data"... The joys of getting used to a new keyboard...
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-06 18:16:27  
Hmm, odd. I'm running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and I haven't run into any problems with Windower (except the newest hot fixed Recast.dll that caused my Windower/POL.exe to crash, randomly).

Did you remember to download the Vista/Windows 7 compatible POL.exe from FFXI's website? If not, that could be why.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-06 18:19:44  
Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
Hmm, odd. I'm running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and I haven't run into any problems with Windower (except the newest hot fixed Recast.dll that caused my Windower/POL.exe to crash, randomly).

Did you remember to download the Vista/Windows 7 compatible POL.exe from FFXI's website? If not, that could be why.
Yes, I did.

Also, just wanted to mention again that this error is not being caused by windower. My windower runs just fine, and I am troubleshooting the 'downloading data' problem without windower running.
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-06 18:26:09  
Could you screenshot the error?

And have you tried using the POL's "Check Files" tool? The install might have been corrupted, i.e. internet might have burped while downloading the updates and missed something, or some .dat file you have is messing with things.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-02-06 18:30:46  
Are you using any IP blocking software by chance? PeerGuardian or Peerblock?
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-06 18:36:03  
Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
Could you screenshot the error?

And have you tried using the POL's "Check Files" tool? The install might have been corrupted, i.e. internet might have burped while downloading the updates and missed something, or some .dat file you have is messing with things.
Next time I get the error I will SS it.

I will also try the check files tool. 33,555 files later and no errors.
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
Are you using any IP blocking software by chance? PeerGuardian or Peerblock?

I have disabled every built in antivirus/firewall/malware/etc program/feature I could find or think of. I previously uninstalled the software that came with it.

Prior to disabling the firewall/UAC, FFXI asked to be allowed through and I did so. Irrelevant at this point, but just wanted to add it in there.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-06 19:03:04  
Well now don't I feel silly? I had this same problem a while back. Forum search didn't pull it up for some reason though.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=4241
 Ragnarok.Zephyran
By Ragnarok.Zephyran 2010-02-06 19:05:56  
Well thar you go, Lol.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-02-06 19:13:02  
Ragnarok.Zephyran said:
Well thar you go, Lol.
Yup. And it worked like a charm... Again... Imagine that, eh?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-02-06 19:31:25  
YOU JARBLOCKHEAD