users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Xml / PHP access
Xml / PHP access
 Bismarck.Aryden
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-01-21 15:10:40  
I have built a database for my LS tracking all member's, their ranks, jobs, levels, attendance, payouts etc.

I would love to get some way of being able to pull down an xml or csv, or tab file so that i can script an import to the database w/o having to manually enter each piece of information about them.

What do you think?
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
サーバ: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2010-01-21 15:56:42  
I believe this falls under the domain of 'a FFXIAH API' which has been requested before, and never met with much enthusiasm on the part of the devs. I believe the main reasons given were the extra load that would be introduced to the servers, and the lack of any potential increase in traffic [in fact a potential decrease] which hits the advertising income that keeps the site afloat.

My suggestion would be to grab all your members' playerIDs and write a script to scrape the necessary info off their profile pages and put it in your database. Just keep in mind that scraping in moderation is generally OK [ie. once a day], but most website admins will ban your IP if you're trying to scrape all your members' info every time you reload your page.

Of course, this all assumes that everyone in your LS is signed up for both the LS Community, have an FFXIAH profile linked to it, and have said profile set to public.

Personally, I think it would be easier to write a front-end that your members can log in to to update their own information with the motivation of "if you don't keep it up to date you don't get drops.".