Two Computers Have Same IP On Network...

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Two computers have same IP on network...
Two computers have same IP on network...
 Remora.Kindle
サーバ: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Kindle
By Remora.Kindle 2010-01-11 19:20:09  
I've had an Airport Extreme (802.11n Wi-Fi) for about 3 weeks. First week worked fine great fast connection. Then the connection just died, was unable to connect on any of the 3 computers! Kept saying two computers had same IP on the network. I browsed the forums and everything people said to do I have done. (Like get the IP automatically) Nothing works.... Then it randomly connects today when I walk by after 2 weeks of no internet.. But, I'm unable to play my games, watch a TV series or anything of value on it cause the connection is so bad now! Often disconnecting for 5-20 sec.

Also, it randomly connected before but when I tried to fix the slowness (By unplugging the router) I was unable to connect for a week with the same problem...

So any help to fix this would be great, both the IP on the network and the slowness I now have cause of it.

P.S. I'm still unable to connect to Xbox live on my Xbox...

I know this is a FFXI forum site so don't know if anyone good with computers or not. :X
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-01-11 19:21:44  
Are you wired up or wireless? Slowness can be caused by being wireless.

As for sharing the same IP, have you tried assigning IP's to the devices separately?
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
サーバ: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-11 19:33:16  
simple issue.

some other device is using the ip you had on your network.

I give my devices static ip's to prevent this problem in my home and neighbors as I share my connection publicly.

For example
my routher's default gateway ip is 10.0.0.1

Give printers 10.0.0.20's

Consoles: 10.0.0.30's

Desktops/laptops: 10.0.0.40

etc etc
 Siren.Eagleeyes
サーバ: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2010-01-11 19:34:56  
as for the slowness that be a number of things... might not even be the routher
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-01-11 19:35:03  
Siren.Eagleeyes said:
simple issue.

some other device is using the ip you had on your network.

I give my devices static ip's to prevent this problem in my home and neighbors as I share my connection publicly.

Static IP's can kinda be a bit of a security risk. The best way is to make sure you have enough encryption on the network.
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2010-01-11 19:47:26  
I don't see how static IP could be a risk really :< Knowing users using DHCP just use 99% of the time the 192.168.1.x range.

Use WPA 2 and you're fine.

I'd go with Eagleeyes suggestion, just use static IPs. *** DHCP. I only use static at home, makes network managment way easier when you know which device use which IP.

By semimmortal 2010-01-11 20:00:44  
What about MAC address filtering?
Always used to set this right after static IP setups.
Encryptions is not 100% safe, but it's better than nothing~
(</3 aircrack)
 Kujata.Akeda
サーバ: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-01-12 15:24:07  
Remora.Kindle said:
I've had an Airport Extreme (802.11n Wi-Fi
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Are you wired up or wireless?

Also, <3 wired connection.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
サーバ: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2010-01-12 15:33:26  
Change your wireless channel or even change the gateway IP. You might actually be sharing the same WLAN as a neighbor.

Check your routing table to make sure only your computers are on the network and not some unknown.

Also if this persists then reset the router to factory settings and redo the config. Sometimes the router will keep assigning the same IP to the same MAC address even in DHCP.

Once you get the problem fixed than do a MAC address filter so only your computers will be allowed on the network since WEP keys are pretty useless.