2010-06-21
New Items
users online
help me out!
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
サーバ: Alexander
Game: FFXI
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-01-07 09:16:46  
I wasn't able to find a thread for this and before you ask, yes I've googled and was unable to find a simple clear damn awnser.

Can I buy a ps3 from america, and play games from england on it?
 Phoenix.Lazuras
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Lazuras 2010-01-07 09:27:22  
No.
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
サーバ: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2010-01-07 09:29:53  
Alexander.Ultrarichard said:
I wasn't able to find a thread for this and before you ask, yes I've googled and was unable to find a simple clear damn awnser. Can I buy a ps3 from america, and play games from england on it?

Yes if you install a mod chip. Sony also was smart to make those machines run on 125V-240V so your Euro voltage is good.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-01-07 09:36:58  
that explains alot ^^ Thanks. I won't bother then lol.
 Remora.Dubont
サーバ: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2010-01-07 09:41:25  
ps3 ftw
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-01-07 09:43:53  
Remora.Dubont said:
ps3 ftw

That's what I'm hoping. I'm just having trouble with the technical bits of buying one. All this new fangled stuff they have confuses the hell out of me. I didn't wanna buy some huge 250gb one, but it appears thats all they sell anymore. :(
 Remora.Dubont
サーバ: Remora
user: Dubont
By Remora.Dubont 2010-01-07 14:03:35  
yea I bought mine back when they had 40 GB...was disappointed though b/c it doesn't come with the ability to play PS2 unless you mod it. Either way it is still a good machine for just about everything. Also, if you like games...get the biggest HDD you can find. I had to upgrade recently x.x
 Lakshmi.Pud
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Pud
By Lakshmi.Pud 2010-01-08 09:34:31  
Like the PSP, the PlayStation 3 is region free for gaming when it comes to PS3 games. All games available for the PlayStation 3 are region free, however backward compatibility modes (i.e. PlayStation 1 and 2 games) are region locked. Blu-ray Disc and DVD region codes are also enforced.[5] While the PS3 does have hardware regional lockout support,[3] Sony apparently has no intentions to use it.

Found about 3/4 of the way down on this page

The PS3 is region free, that means that you can play PS3 games from any country, on any PS3. I have a UK PS3, and imported Rock Band from the US to get the game before it was released in England. The game works fine.

The only issue I had was with downloads. The downloadable content (songs) showed as already bought, but could not be redownloaded or anything. In the end I got a UK version of the game which sorted that out.

So while there are certainly other factors to think about (eg DVDs, BLU-Ray, Voltages, Downloads etc) you may not want to write off the idea completely yet.