Unicorn.Divinian
サーバ: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2009-12-21 11:00:47  
I just bought a computer with the following relevant specs:

HP Slimline
OS - Win7
Video - Nvidia 6000 series (not sure of actual number...I am at work)
RAM - 4GB
Processor - AMD Sempron

I have installed the vista/win7 version of POL and updated POL and FFXI. The game runs. If I use FFXI Config to set my settings (thus leaving the game under sampled) the game runs fine and FPS rarely dips below 28. However, if I want to match overlay and background resolutions to make the details a bit sharper, the FPS randomly dips to about 15-20, which is extremely annoying.

My old computer, which was four years old, had about half the specs (probably less, with only about 1GB RAM) that this one has, and ran on XP. Until about the end of its life (2 months ago) I was able to run with matched overlay and background resolutions and FPS was fine. I know my nvidia card was much older than the one currently installed on my newer computer. I also know that nvidia has come out with much newer stuff.

I have been reading in forums about problems with nvidia and problems finding good drivers that work with win7. Therefore I have tested a number of drivers in an attempt to resolve the issue, but to know avail. I have tried 16x.xx version (not exactly sure of the number, but it was released mainly for FFXI so I hear) and the 17x.xx (also released to help ffxi so I hear). Neither helped. 17x.xx actually did not install correctly on win7 as it was an xp driver. I also read another forum that asked me to try 191.xx. This also did not work.

The only other piece of info I can offer is that my nvidia is integrated and therefore there is a motherboard driver that I have not uninstalled. This may mean nothing, but I am not sure. If there is any help that any tech-minded people can offer, it would be valued and appreciated. I am not too techy, but learn a little as I go along trying to resolve issues. Thanks in advance for any information.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-21 11:04:28  
I just did a google search for "HP Slimline" and got a CNET review of one (not sure if its the same model)

---------

Graphics Controller

* Type Integrated
* Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Shared video memory (UMA)
* Video Memory 128.0 MB / 319.0 MB (max)

Right off the bat, if you are using an onboard video card that is your problem. Find a PCIe card with 512mb or more memory and then see if you still have the problem.

Yes I realize that this is an old game and that it doesnt utilize the GPU, however onboard graphics are never good for video games.
 Unicorn.Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2009-12-21 11:29:30  
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
Right off the bat, if you are using an onboard video card that is your problem. Find a PCIe card with 512mb or more memory and then see if you still have the problem.

Yes I realize that this is an old game and that it doesnt utilize the GPU, however onboard graphics are never good for video games.

So, if I take my old nvidia card and place it in the new machine, will the computer use it instead of the integrated graphics card?
 Kujata.Erim
サーバ: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-21 11:29:39  
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
I just did a google search for "HP Slimline" and got a CNET review of one (not sure if its the same model)

---------

Graphics Controller

* Type Integrated
* Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Shared video memory (UMA)
* Video Memory 128.0 MB / 319.0 MB (max)

Very correct. Trying to put this simply, integrated video cards take a lot of processing power from your CPU that should be used for FFXI. FFXI is a very CPU intensive game and when your CPU has to contribute toward processing graphical information it's going to cause a lot of issues for a game like this.

You can get fairly decent video card for your computer that will help take a lot of stress off your CPU. HOWEVER, it's important to remember that you have a slimline computer!!! You NEED a low profile video card for your computer if its going to fit inside your case!!! Remember to limit your search to low profile video cards!
 Kujata.Erim
サーバ: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-21 11:30:07  
Unicorn.Divinian said:
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:

So, if I take my old nvidia card and place it in the new machine, will the computer use it instead of the integrated graphics card?

Yes, if it fits.
 Unicorn.Divinian
By Unicorn.Divinian 2009-12-21 11:39:12  
Yes, the fitting part is the problem (/em remembers he bought a slimline). Thanks for your help (both of you). I'll look into this.
 Hades.Dizzmal
サーバ: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-12-21 12:04:59  
Don't forget that depending on how old your first PC was, it may have had an AGP card in it. As far as I can remember the 6000 series Nvida cards was out right before they started going mainstream with PCIe cards.

If your old what fit, a decent card would only set you back about $150 and should last for awhile.