New Items
users online
HDD cloning
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-12-09 14:23:32  
So I recently purchased two SATA 500GB HDs to upgrade my desktops. I have the first one almost to the point I want it to be at. When I get done, I want to clone it to the second one so I don't have to go through all the trouble again.

What is the easiest way to do this?
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-12-09 14:26:30  
I think my dad uses something called "Norton Ghost" to clone drives, idk. Where's Cai? lol
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-12-09 14:27:55  
Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
I think my dad uses something called "Norton Ghost" to clone drives, idk. Where's Cai? lol
It's been a few years since I used Norton Ghost. Was looking for something a bit different (unless it's improved). Never was a fan of it (though it got the job done).

Edit: Just did a quick bit of research on Norton Ghost 14. Looks decent. I'll give it a shot tonight. Any other suggestions would still be welcomed.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-09 14:41:23  
I guess I'd have to ask if this was to be used in another machine or just as a straight backup?

If this was to be used in another machine that is setup with the same hardware, then norton ghost would be best.

If this is meant to be data redundancy/backup then you might want to look at RAID1.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-12-09 14:42:10  
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
I guess I'd have to ask if this was to be used in another machine or just as a straight backup?

If this was to be used in another machine that is setup with the same hardware, then norton ghost would be best.

If this is meant to be data redundancy/backup then you might want to look at RAID0.
Ah, was going to edit to clarify, but didn't. It is for two different desktops.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-09 14:43:35  
You quoted before I ninja edited=D I meant RAID1 as RAID0 is for making two drives act like a large one with twice the throughput.

For cloning I'd recommend Ghost.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-12-09 14:46:42  
Let me know how well Ghost works for you. I've been trying to image my disk with Easeus Partition Manager, but it never completes for some reason.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
サーバ: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-09 15:12:27  
For Partition-work I use the GParted Live CD, but for image backups I like Macrium Reflect which also allows you to make a boot CD and re-image a machine over the network. Clonezilla is another popular live CD.

You're looking to image the current hard drives, install new, better drives and re-image those new drives with your old drives' images right? lol /mouthful
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-12-10 01:01:54  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:
For Partition-work I use the GParted Live CD, but for image backups I like Macrium Reflect which also allows you to make a boot CD and re-image a machine over the network. Clonezilla is another popular live CD.

You're looking to image the current hard drives, install new, better drives and re-image those new drives with your old drives' images right? lol /mouthful
Wealth of info, I'll have to try one or two of those.

Also in the same vein is the System Rescue CD which I have mainly used to fix broken boot partitions and recover damaged partitions, but has many other useful stuffs. It has saved my bacon many a time, and may save yours as well.
 Siren.Aytac
サーバ: Siren
user: Aytac
By Siren.Aytac 2009-12-10 01:33:07  
Ramuh.Krizz said:
So I recently purchased two SATA 500GB HDs to upgrade my desktops. I have the first one almost to the point I want it to be at. When I get done, I want to clone it to the second one so I don't have to go through all the trouble again.

LOL when I read SATA, i immediately thought of <sneak attack> <trick attack>. think I play too much?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-10 11:20:13  
Midgardsormr.Sammitch said:
Seraph.Caiyuo said:

Wealth of info, I'll have to try one or two of those.

Also in the same vein is the System Rescue CD which I have mainly used to fix broken boot partitions and recover damaged partitions, but has many other useful stuffs. It has saved my bacon many a time, and may save yours as well.
Thanks! I'd only really heard of UBCD and Hiren's Boot CD for the precious system recovery live CDs. lol
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-12-10 12:38:30  
Siren.Aytac said:
Ramuh.Krizz said:

LOL when I read SATA, i immediately thought of <sneak attack> <trick attack>. think I play too much?
Huge performance bonus when they're back-mounted.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-12-10 12:39:58  
That's what she said.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-12-10 13:43:35  
<3
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-12-10 13:56:46  
Seraph.Caiyuo said:

The new SATA HD is what I want to clone. This way it saves time on the second desktop. I started from scratch and installed Windows 7 and all my games/apps. My old HD is just going to be an archive / backup in case this HD or OS dies on me.

Unfortunately I didn't get to finish installing everything last night due to Dyna, so I haven't tested out the ghost software. I should be able to tomorrow afternoon since no events.
Siren.Aytac said:
I think it every single time I see it, my friend.
Garuda.Hypnotizd said:
That's what she said.
I lol'd at both.
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-12-23 01:32:53  
I have to say that CloneZilla is flippin awesome. Let me connect to another Windows computer using samba and fired the image across my network instead of having to put in another physical disk temporarily.
 Midgardsormr.Dominionix
By Midgardsormr.Dominionix 2009-12-23 02:52:47  
I have to say that CloneZilla is flippin awesome. Let me connect to another Windows computer using samba and fired the image across my network instead of having to put in another physical disk temporarily.

This! ^