Internet ISP Exist For.....

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » Internet ISP Exist for.....
Internet ISP Exist for.....
 Phoenix.Sector
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: futchy
By Phoenix.Sector 2009-11-30 13:49:23  
I live in a rural area atm and use cable ISP for high speed internet.

Where im moving is 40miles to the nearest city. I was kinda wondering if there was any players out there in the same situation maybe, or know of anyway to get high speed internet off of satillite maybe? Figured id ask the ffxi population maybe someone can help.
 Phoenix.Sector
By Phoenix.Sector 2009-11-30 14:20:54  
Bump
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-11-30 14:36:54  
www.wildblue.com

Well satellite internet might be a tad expensive but I googled satellite internet and this link came up first if you wanna check it out. There may be others but I only used satellite one time with T-mobile using an aircard on my laptop years ago.
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2009-11-30 14:39:49  
When I'm in town in school, I use the school's internet.

When I'm at my parents house during "vacation" I use Satellite internet.

Landlines > Satellite

by a big shot.

Phoenix.Sector
By Phoenix.Sector 2009-11-30 15:04:28  
Asura.Korpg said:
Landlines > Satellite by a big shot.

Of course, but its probably my only chance to keep playing if im moving to a place w/o cable, they have DSL phone line but im not sure how fast that will be vs. satillite.
 Lakshmi.Zaps
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zaps
By Lakshmi.Zaps 2009-11-30 15:06:51  
DSL will be faster and usually more reliable then satellite.

fiber > cable > satellite > dial-up
By TheZeven 2009-11-30 15:09:07  
I work for an ISP, that provides DSL to customers in rural areas. Most customers can get speeds of at least 1.5m/512k, at the slowest, 256k/256k. At 256k you'll probably notice a bit of lag in more populated areas, but for most things you should be able to keep up well enough. Would recommend chat filters, and things like.. Not displaying as many PCs (that's a setting in the config menu, right?)
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-11-30 15:09:50  
depends on where you live. People out in the boonies usually opt for either cable or satellite. In town, yeah its anything goes.
By Elperron 2009-11-30 15:25:16  
uploading for satellite is very very very dissapointing, while playing ffxi, you will be sending at an average of 25-80, which is around 2-3second delay for almost everything in the game, i am paying around 90.00$ a month for wildblue, that is the cost of the pro package they have. I live in the country so it's the only thing that i found that is good for me. Another satellite company is Hughesnet(sp?).
 Ramuh.Lilbusta
サーバ: Ramuh
user: phatspade
By Ramuh.Lilbusta 2009-11-30 15:25:29  
256k would work just fine actually. I used a 1.5M Sat in Afghanistan to play and it was routed to 40 other ppl. Worse it got for me was the Skyping hours, but even then the COMMO guys put a bandwidth limiter up to even it out. I was playing with only 50k limit and no problems.
 Hades.Dizzmal
サーバ: Hades
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-11-30 15:49:11  
I played for years with 56K dialup. I recently moved to get cable and my average speeds are between 20-30MbpsDl and 2-3Mbps Upload during speed tests.

I honestly don't notice a really big difference. I did try Wildblue a few years ago, and I noticed more lag than dialup. Idk if I am the only one, but Dialup was better than satellite for me. If you can get DSL, by all means go for it. It will be faster than 56K or satellite.

My experience is FIOS>Cable>DSL>Dialup>Satellite for online gaming. Hope this helps.
 Leviathan.Webjester
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2009-11-30 15:49:29  
Latency through Satellite connections are atrocious. Even if you only have access to 256k/256k DSL (or even iDSL), you'll be better off there than with satellite.

Latency = How long it takes to get data from A > B
Bandwidth = How much data you can move at once from A > B

- Satellite has bandwidth caps, and horrible latency.

- Dial-up has no bandwidth caps, horrible bandwidth, and bad latency.

- DSL generally has no bandwidth caps, bandwidth is based on distance from your CO (and how much you want to pay), and latency is generally fine.

Hope this helps you out.

Phoenix.Sector
By Phoenix.Sector 2009-12-01 13:14:26  
Thanks, guess ill go w/ the DSL.

Satillite seemed ok since thats what they use for thier cable, they live 40miles from the nearest big city and they only get phone lines that far out and power.
 Fairy.Tbest
サーバ: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-12-01 13:21:36  
*Nods.* Most of the time, Satellite internet will beat DSL for downloading, but not uploading. When you're playing an online game, you really need both the up and down at a decent speed.
 Caitsith.Alphadk
サーバ: Caitsith
user: alphadk
By Caitsith.Alphadk 2009-12-01 13:37:17  
dsl does have bandwidth caps depending. This depends on how close you are to the transmitting station, what kind of equipment you have on that phone line (dish, direct tv, phones, fax machines ect.) Your modem plays a role, depending on your port firewall, routers or switches you have connected, and other pc's or gaming devices that may also be using the connection. All of that can play a factor depending on what kind of DSL offers you have where you are. I had a DSL filter go bad that was hooked into my dish network box and that ate the world out of my bandwidth gave me all kinds of lag. I replaced all my other filters and forgot about that one. I removed the firewall from my modem and router, tried running direct, and eventually called the company cause the lag was killing me. 1 little filter had me ready to throw all my stuff out the window. Just a few things to check into. By no means am i saying DSL is bad im happy with my DSL now that everything is running smooth im running 3mb connection pleased as can be dont notice much difference since i upgraded from the 1.5mb connection. GOOD LUCK!
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-12-01 13:48:59  
My cousin (who lived 2 miles from me) got stuck with satellite cause of the cable company being lame.

His game didn't exactly lag in the normal sense. Things just happened a couple seconds late for him. Does that make sense? The game ran smoothly, but if you were on a box next to him with a cable connection his screen would be a couple seconds behind.

If you get any sort of cell signal in the area I would look at tethering and/or mobile wifi. Might be better than the satellite.