users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Summoner » Mewing Lullaby wall in Gaol
Mewing Lullaby wall in Gaol
 Asura.Pergatory
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2024-02-15 13:51:39  
I was helping some people with Arebati again recently, and noticed some weird behavior with Mewing Lullaby on the first KI.

For those who don't know, in Odyssey Gaol there's a resist wall for Mewing Lullaby which makes it strongly resisted and the resistance decreases slowly over 60 seconds. In the past I've found it's best to wait 30 seconds between Mewing. Waiting less than 30 seconds, TP will often only be lowered to about 800 or higher. If you wait 30 seconds, you can usually reduce it to 500-600. Waiting much more than 30 seconds is risky because you don't want too big of a gap between your TP resets, so it's a difficult balancing act.

If I have to reapply a buff, even using Apogee it still leads to Mewing being about 40-45 seconds apart instead of my usual 30, and when that happens it usually lowers TP all the way down to about 200 so the resistance ramps down pretty fast after 30 seconds I just rarely feel like I can wait for that to happen.

Yesterday when doing Arebati, I noticed several times it was only resetting to 800-1000. I thought it must be lag so I started waiting 32-33 seconds, and even at 33 seconds I saw some high TP including one over 1k. It literally didn't even lower him enough to prevent an immediate TP move.

Has anyone noticed this? What sort of timing are you all using for Mewing in those fights? Did they increase the potency of the wall recently?
[+]
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2024-02-15 14:24:26  
Have your melees check their tp and WS sets. Make sure they have the right amount of subtle blow. Dancer should have 65 total with sherida earring and gleti's knife. Dragoon should be using niqmaddu and sherida for 60, or 70 if they have Dagon breastplate. Subtle 1 should be capped and those are the subtle II pieces available for them.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2024-02-15 14:45:37  
Yeah our DNC was at 65 and our DRG was at 60, no Dagon. That's with Auspice up, the DNC only had 25 SB1 from gear, but it didn't get dispelled much and was reapplied quickly so I don't think that was the problem.
[+]
 Asura.Melliny
user: melphina
By Asura.Melliny 2024-02-15 14:49:44  
Quote:
DNC only had 25 SB1 from gear

Which is still overcapped. Dancer gets 32 subtle blow natively as a job trait. Dancer should never have an issue capping subtle blow 1. Just equipping R30 gleti's legs alone takes them to 47, which is just shy of the cap. And that's without auspice or any other SB1 gear.
[+]
By Godfry 2024-02-15 15:20:56  
Edited the comment with something useful:

We have come across Arebati TP behavior just being fully bugged out. For example, a TP move right after TP drain drains for 1600TP. We have also witnessed TP moves back to back which means he didn't even have enough time to get to 2k. While these don't happen often, they have happened multiple times with us.

About mewing, besides what you already know, the TP reduction is also related to how effective the BST TP Drain is. If the BST gets resisted then you might be mewing from close to 2k down to 1k. If the BST relic hands didn't swap in during call beast, for example, Fargann will be so under-level it might be frequently resisted.

I've been the BST in our TP denail things since forever so I'm gonna share what really works for us. At 20 seconds I warn the smner to send Cait in. At 15 seconds Cait is ready to mew. At 10 seconds I warn the DDs that we are the end of the window, and then I warn at 5 (if TP has been high, DDs will turn). Lastly, I tell them to go back.

This rotation makes these fights go REAAALLLYYY smooth.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2024-02-16 13:14:39  
We actually went through several BSTs in that group, some more reliable than others, and sometimes with unlucky pet deaths, so yeah maybe that's the reason for the inconsistency I was seeing. Good call.

Also our DDs never turned for a second. I tried to get them to consider it a few times, but the TP moves weren't causing enough headache to motivate them to do it, so we just powered through it and dealt with any TP moves that went off. We got to 44% several times, and other times we barely got it under 60%, so it probably led to some inconsistency on that front but it worked for us. It definitely caused extra chaos but we had to keep our WHM & RDM entertained somehow ;)

I do like the idea of communicating the TP drains more so the DDs know when to turn (if they can be convinced to do so). A poorly timed Polar Roar can cause quite a bit of chaos. Especially if your BST can't pair Unleash with the SMN's Conduit due to needing their SP in the second fight, because a Polar Roar going off during the SMN's Conduit would be a disaster since we found the SMN was often the one with hate on the add by that point in the fight. So they'd have to basically abort their Conduit and start kiting until the add can be locked down again. Being able to use Unleash was extremely helpful there.
[+]
By Godfry 2024-02-16 13:19:17  
Asura.Pergatory said: »
Also our DDs never turned for a second. I tried to get them to consider it a few times, but the TP moves weren't causing enough headache to motivate them to do it, so we just powered through it and dealt with any TP moves that went off.

Yeah, DDs with segfarm parse mentality definitely make this harder unnecessarily. We were pretty conservative about turning at the last 5 seconds and still got it down to 49%. Our two DDs (shadow and melliny) are pretty good though, so credit to them as well.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-16 13:28:06  
Quote:
If the BST gets resisted then you might be mewing from close to 2k down to 1k. If the BST relic hands didn't swap in during call beast, for example, Fargann will be so under-level it might be frequently resisted.

Unless there's something specific to Odyssey (Arebati in particular really), TP drainkiss can't resist. It doesn't have an macc check. Variance on it is based on Fargann's tp at the time of execution as the percentage of tp he drains is based on his own tp when it's used.

I've used it as a practically naked bst on mboze dozens of times before w/ my ungeared mule for rp farms and it has never been a problem. It doesn't necessarily function as a normal drain at all because unlike any other drain it works on undead too
[+]
By Godfry 2024-02-16 13:45:56  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
TP drainkiss can't resist. It doesn't have an macc check.

From your personal experience to my personal experience, there was a pretty high macc check on Arebati v25. Only until I got a pretty good pet macc set I was able to properly drain TP from him. For example, I'd drain 300 TP from him and he would do a TP move on us right after, meaning he had a lot more TP to be drained.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-16 13:49:14  
It isn't personal experience, it is known fact. TP Drainkiss does not have an macc check. This is also easily verifiable using elementals. What you're describing is either using it when arebati had little tp, using it when fargann had little tp (hard to do with empyrean pet tp bonus and fargann's fencer traits), or arebati simply not caring about having tp to use tp moves under certain conditions. The fact that you also cite Arebati doing back to back tp moves without time to get enough TP indicates there's more to it. Your bst being the only bst on earth who has a resistable tp drainkiss ain't it.
By Godfry 2024-02-16 14:03:33  
I've used it as a practically naked bst on mboze dozens of times before w/ my ungeared mule for rp farms and it has never been a problem. It doesn't necessarily function as a normal drain at all because unlike any other drain it works on undead too

This is literally a personal experience you were sharing. lol
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-16 14:05:10  
It's affirmation of a fact. It isnt my experience that dictates TP drainkiss having no resist state, but my experience further affirms it. What I'm saying here has been known for years though, it isn't something I'm saying here in this thread for the first time ever.
By Godfry 2024-02-16 14:10:28  
It's affirmation of a fact. It isnt my experience that dictates TP drainkiss having no resist state, but my experience further affirms it. What I'm saying here has been known for years though, it isn't something I'm saying here in this thread for the first time ever.

Bruh, you literally talked about your personal Mboze experience.lol

I get it, TP Drainkiss can't be resisted. Thanks for the info. statement.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-16 14:12:32  
Did you even read what you just replied to? Really not sure where the disconnect is here. My personal experience ultimately isn't relevant to the fact that tp drainkiss cannot be resisted nor the focus of what is being conveyed. It's just supporting evidence affirming The already well known, documented fact. Hope that clears it up.

And you're welcome!
By Godfry 2024-02-16 14:15:29  
Had to add this reply cause you edited yours.

Thanks again for that info. I honestly didn't know. So, Aymur would help drain more TP then?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-16 14:15:58  
You're not the boss of me young man
By Godfry 2024-02-16 14:19:21  
I read the discussion about TP scaling with Fargann TP but never seen anybody saying that Pet Lvl and Macc didn't affect it.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-16 14:20:35  
Yes Aymur and empyrean gloves would both make tp drainkiss drain more tp. On top of fargann's natural tp bonus from fencer it's hard not to have it drain 90-100% tp and when unleash is active it will always drain 100%
By Godfry 2024-02-16 14:21:42  
I'm actually gonna try draining naked today to see how it goes (with empy hands on only).
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2024-02-16 14:27:11  
Id like to revisit this: as I said I think the problem with Arebati sometimes is he either is bugged or he has a mechanic that allows him to tp with little/less tp. Anyone who has fought it has seen him do back to back tp moves before and that shouldn't be possible if not for a quirk that we just don't understand. On other tp denial fights like Mboze and Aminon I've never seen that same behavior (Aminon only when ***goes south and he's SUPPOSED to back to back tp move). So regardless of mewing getting walled or drainkiss not getting enough tp he just seems to be able to enter *** you mode and I have no idea what causes it
[+]
By Godfry 2024-02-16 14:34:21  
Id like to revisit this: as I said I think the problem with Arebati sometimes is he either is bugged or he has a mechanic that allows him to tp with little/less tp. Anyone who has fought it has seen him do back to back tp moves before and that shouldn't be possible if not for a quirk that we just don't understand. On other tp denial fights like Mboze and Aminon I've never seen that same behavior (Aminon only when ***goes south and he's SUPPOSED to back to back tp move). So regardless of mewing getting walled or drainkiss not getting enough tp he just seems to be able to enter *** you mode and I have no idea what causes it

Yeah, I've only seen that behavior on Arebati. I wanna test this because we went in multiple times with my pet not draining for much and as soon as I got way more macc and the relic gloves I started TP-Draining normally again. TP bonus wise the only thing that changed from one set to the other was empyrean gloves going from +2 to +3. But maybe the night I experienced the odd behavior could have been just that the zone was bugged out.