フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Black Mage » BLM/GEO Fun with MLs
BLM/GEO Fun with MLs
 Bahamut.Orlanda
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: afraidnot
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2023-10-28 01:11:34  
Heya all,

I thought I'd share some of my fun experiences playing around with BLM/GEO on less serious content - I had realized with the advent of master levels and additional gear that /GEO isn't quite as awful as everyone was thinking, and after searching the forums I didn't see anyone else document this.

Currently, I'm at ML39 and have a combined handbell/geomancy skill of 388.

With this set:

ItemSet 393006

My total combined skill is 476. Yes, I know, not impressive seeing as we can't equip bells, but this number yielded some interesting numbers:

Indi-Acumen = 7.93 MAB
Indi-Focus = 26.44 MACC
Indi-INT = 13.22 INT

For perhaps added tankiness while using Mana Wall:

Indi-Barrier = 21.05% Defense
Indi-Attunement = 34.38 Magic Evasion

And if for some reason we're in a party with melee folks (Dyna-D or Omen for example):

Indi-Fury = 18.35% Attack
Indi-STR = 13.22 STR

We can't use Entrust, we can't use Geo- spells, and most painful of all, we can't use Indi-Haste, but I've had a lot of fun testing out setups.

Other benefits - additional 3% Conserve MP from /GEO55 for delicious Empy Armor Set Bonus procs, and Cardinal Chant serving as a nice boost to MACC/MAB/MBB/Magic Crit depending on what direction it's facing.

Don't get it twisted, nowhere near the utility of /SCH, but I have found it's pretty nice for freenuking.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-28 01:39:29  
I'd rather go BLM/WAR in 5/5 Nyame WSD path and ride double attack, 2-step chain and burst with a tank trust.

Star Sibyl is 3 times more potent than that floored MAB, can't die, and won't interfere.

Monberaux gives +10 to all stats with Samson's Strength Mix frequently and without extra payment compared to +13 to one stat if you opt for that.

(full disclosure I don't ML BLM/WAR, I opt for BLM/SAM with Laev AM3 and a full STP build- of course the issue is the trusts behaving themselves and keeping you at Magical Haste Cap, but when they do I frequently 4- or 5-step and burst off the last step. I do use a Tank trust- AAEV typically- and she isn't 100% holding hate deep in those chains, but she does ok against a mage...but I realize many don't have that option and I think its quite easy for a BLM/WAR to build a 35-40% DA set these days and have sufficient accuracy to melee for MLs)
 Bahamut.Orlanda
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2023-10-28 01:59:20  
Bahamut.Celebrindal said: »
(full disclosure I don't ML BLM/WAR, I opt for BLM/SAM with Laev AM3 and a full STP build- of course the issue is the trusts behaving themselves and keeping you at Magical Haste Cap, but when they do I frequently 4- or 5-step and burst off the last step. I do use a Tank trust- AAEV typically- and she isn't 100% holding hate deep in those chains, but she does ok against a mage...but I realize many don't have that option and I think its quite easy for a BLM/WAR to build a 35-40% DA set these days and have sufficient accuracy to melee for MLs)

Oh if it's just me or with people that aren't WSing, I'll BLM/SAM all day and ride Laev AM3 Vido->Vido->Burst. The above was just put up as a fun alternative to /SCH (I don't really consider /RDM having much to offer these days).

Separately, my melee AM3 TP set, though I do need to get better luck in tracking down the White Tathlum in it:

ItemSet 393178
[+]
 Asura.Jdove
サーバ: Asura
user: erasmuss
By Asura.Jdove 2023-10-28 02:25:14  
You can also keep skill chains going by using an accumen set, you dont even have to melee or engage just nuke>ws>nuke>ws>burst>ws etc.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-10-28 09:04:05  
I don't know this for sure, but if I had to guess, handbell skill doesn't count since you aren't using a handbell. This is assuming it works like BRD where wind/string only apply when using a wind/string instrument.

Did you calculate the numbers for this bubbles, or pull them off a table with the skills you calculated?
 Bahamut.Orlanda
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2023-10-28 09:47:25  
Carbuncle.Maletaru said: »
I don't know this for sure, but if I had to guess, handbell skill doesn't count since you aren't using a handbell. This is assuming it works like BRD where wind/string only apply when using a wind/string instrument.

Did you calculate the numbers for this bubbles, or pull them off a table with the skills you calculated?
I didn't pull any packets in game or anything, I calc'd out the numbers based on the values at 0 and 900 skill. I would be very surprised to see that it discounts handbell skill, anecdotally only of course I'm seeing a decent increase in my freenukes when I use Acumen or I-INT.
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-28 12:59:49  
Bahamut.Orlanda said: »

Oh if it's just me or with people that aren't WSing, I'll BLM/SAM all day and ride Laev AM3 Vido->Vido->Burst. The above was just put up as a fun alternative to /SCH (I don't really consider /RDM having much to offer these days).

Separately, my melee AM3 TP set, though I do need to get better luck in tracking down the White Tathlum in it:

ItemSet 393178

We're at similar ML level (I'm at ML40, I believe you said you were ML38/39 in the 1st post)- check out Bloodrain Strap over Khonsu, in particular since you're using the Lehko's Ring as well! I haven't noticed a significant acc drop giving up the Khonsu, and since Quldata is the 3rd worst COR in all of Vana'diel, any extra STP I can hunt down I'm all for^^
[+]
 Bahamut.Orlanda
By Bahamut.Orlanda 2023-10-28 13:09:48  
Ha it's funny you say that I long ago threw away my bloodrain but I now know I have to go get one back!

I stopped using Qultada because that *** keeps giving me fighter's roll >:(

I am thinking about replacing my empy body with a STP-augmented telchine coat but I am paranoid about losing all of that accuracy. Also, the refresh is nice for a set i'll be in in between bursting.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-28 13:14:59  
haha, all the same debates I've been having as well.

I ended up going for the acc/dt in the head slot via empy+3, and kept telchine STP body, so a vice-versa mix compared to yours....and had the same mental "why the hell did I drop that thing?" moment with Bloodrain. And yes, Quldata is more trouble than he's ever worth if you're riding mythic AM3 ;)

lol we should ML together^^
[+]
 Carbuncle.Nynja
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: NynJa
By Carbuncle.Nynja 2023-10-28 13:43:25  
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-10-28 14:15:14  
I said 3rd worst- the fact that a "Luzaf's Ring" exists to expand the range of rolls, while Luzaf doesn't even ROLL HIMSELF keeps him at #1 worst ever.
[+]
 Bahamut.Suph
user: Suph
By Bahamut.Suph 2023-10-29 05:22:24  
I said 3rd worst- the fact that a "Luzaf's Ring" exists to expand the range of rolls, while Luzaf doesn't even ROLL HIMSELF keeps him at #1 worst ever.

I think you misspelled Mhysa =o
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2023-10-29 08:31:53  
Luzaf doesn't even ROLL HIMSELF

They don't sell dies in Valhalla, so he can't buy them thus he can't roll. Be empathetic!