Random Politics & Religion #31: 2018 Edition

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #31: 2018 Edition
Random Politics & Religion #31: 2018 Edition
First Page 2 3 ... 28 29 30 ... 55 56 57
By Ramyrez 2018-01-18 15:08:19  
fonewear said: »
I rather say I hate groups of people not individuals that way I cover all my bases !

But that's the thing. That one person becomes the avatar for that group.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Discusses this a bit. It's long, but this is actually pretty good. Listening to it right now myself so no idea where it ends up but...it's good.
By Ramyrez 2018-01-18 15:09:19  
Zerowone said: »
Well it’s no secret you suffer from DSM X “Obsessive Shitpost Disorder”

DSM XX.

The X is for Xtra edgy.
[+]
By Zerowone 2018-01-18 15:09:40  
Zerowone said: »
I rather say I hate groups of people not individuals that way I cover all my bases !

Well it’s no secret you suffer from DSM X “Obsessive Shitpost Disorder”

Wow you came up with that all by yourself...impressed. I though you'd have to link some article no one will read.

Says the guy who posted this:

lol:

The symptoms start seconds after I awake in the morning. Like an addict reaching for his pain meds, I fumble for my iPhone and scroll through my feeds for the latest news about Donald Trump.

I scan for words like “lies,” “fledgling campaign,” and “raccoon hands.” Each time I see them a little pleasure center ignites in the frontal lobe of my brain.

But the high is fleeting. As I get ready for work, I flip through the morning news shows hoping for a juicy story on Trump’s declining poll numbers. Left-leaning political podcasts are the soundtrack of my morning commute. At the office, I check my social media feeds again.

I suffer from a psychological disorder nobody but me calls OTD or Obsessive Trump Disorder.

Some signs and symptoms:

Impulsive thoughts and urges related to getting negative news about Trump.
Repeatedly checking to make sure Trump is screwing up
Compulsive “liking” and sharing negative posts about his campaign
It works like this: First, I must know what Trump did wrong. Then I need to know what other people think about what he did wrong—and how this will adversely affect his candidacy. When I’m not fully satisfied with that feedback, I need to hear more negative news about Trump.

And thus the cycle continues—an endless loop of joy and pain, sunshine and rain.

I wondered if I was alone in my OTD. Is it one of those silent diseases that sufferers are too ashamed to talk about, but actually cripples hundreds of thousands of people every day?

So I phone Eli Karam, Ph.D, a clinical therapist in Louisville, Kentucky. He’s level-headed and sharp, with just the right amount of ambivalence towards Trump to be the objective voice I need to hear. To my surprise, he tells me that my self-diagnosed neuroses isn’t so far from an actual real thing.

“A true sign of OCD is that you have an obsessive thought that you can’t get rid of,” he explains. “So you develop a ritual to get that thought out of your head.”

For a person suffering from germ phobia, that ritual is hand washing. For a person with OTD, it’s obsessive checking and re-checking every available screen for bad news about Trump.

Dr. Karam’s explanation helped shed light on what I was doing, but I still didn’t know why I was doing it. Germaphobes (like Trump, ironically) are driven by a fear of being exposed to germs. What was my fear?

I didn’t have to dig deep into my childhood to figure it out. The answer was right there for all to see, like a huge tuft of orange hair.
“The idea of a President Trump is so terrifying, that you look for negative things about him in the media to convince yourself that he’s not going to be elected.”

Can you blame me? While Trump is an underdog, this thing is far from a done deal. None other than Michael Moore predicts Trump will win. Experts point to Brexit as an example of what could happen here. The debates are still a month away, and they could radically change the race. Then there are those deleted Hillary Clinton emails.

Just writing that last paragraph makes me want to type “Trump” and “woefully unprepared” into Google and read every article that pops up. I wish I could jump in a DeLorean and time travel into the future, so I would just know what happens.

This is textbook OTD. “You can’t stand being in limbo,” says Dr. Karam. “So to function, you try to find enough sources to confirm what a tyrant and narcissist Trump is.” That’s why people with OTD need their fix. The ambiguity of the election is just too overwhelming to handle sober.

Ok, fine. I get it. I got a fever for more Trump. So what’s the prescription?

“It’s never cold turkey,” says Dr. Karam. “You need to undergo a systematic desensitization.” In laymen’s terms that means I need to gradually limit my exposure to the things that are causing my OTD in the first place—my phone, my laptop, my TV, my tablet. Basically if it glows, it goes.

Dr. Karam encourages me to switch up my routine. Instead of waking up and looking at my phone, I should go to the gym. Instead of listening to political pundits, I should listen to Headspace . “Taper down your Trump intake to 15 or 20 minutes a day.”

Lastly, I need to accept what I can’t control. “You’re not going to figure this out until the second week of November,” says Dr. Karam. “You only have control over one thing—the way you vote.”

Punching that hole repeatedly for Hillary Clinton on November 8th is one obsessive compulsion I will gladly tolerate.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-small/do-you-suffer-from-obsess_b_11953298.html

Spoiler alert! Didn’t read it.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-01-18 15:09:53  
Joe Rogan hmm I think his career peek in 1995.
By fonewear 2018-01-18 15:10:52  
He was on Newsradio with Phil Hartman that is the closest Joe came to greatness.
By Ramyrez 2018-01-18 15:11:29  
He was on Newsradio with Phil Hartman that is the closest Joe came to greatness.

Huh. I would have figured you to be a fan, actually.
By Ramyrez 2018-01-18 15:13:15  

Also, as an aside, News Radio was awesome and *** that dude's crazy wife for killing him.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-01-18 15:14:37  
He is sorta like Andy *** was famous a long time ago...you vaguely remember him from stuff. But you haven't heard much about them today.
By Ramyrez 2018-01-18 15:15:55  
He is sorta like Andy *** was famous a long time ago...you vaguely remember him from stuff. But you haven't heard much about them today.

I got that way with (speaking of News Radio) Dave Foley because I loved Kids in the Hall and he was good on News Radio but then he disappeared until that standup he did a few years ago (which I enjoyed).

But Joe I've sort of been aware of all along.

I am, however, a huge standup comedy fan so that's not necessarily strange that I may be more familiar with him.
By Ramyrez 2018-01-18 15:16:08  
Also Andy *** is a *** weirdo and always has been.
By fonewear 2018-01-18 15:16:37  
I didn't even know Joe did stand up comedy...
By fonewear 2018-01-18 15:18:13  
I like some stand up comedy but going through the muck of bad stand up to find the maybe 5 people I like...sounds like a chore.
By fonewear 2018-01-18 15:19:41  
I remember the good old days when Comedy Central actually had stand up....I'd take that over the 90% of ***on there now.
By clearlyamule 2018-01-18 15:21:00  
I've never understood why people like to hate people they don't know personally. Be it celebrities president etc. I don't know Taylor Swift. I don't know Trump. So why bother wasting my time hating them.
I hate you!
[+]
By fonewear 2018-01-18 15:22:54  
clearlyamule said: »
I've never understood why people like to hate people they don't know personally. Be it celebrities president etc. I don't know Taylor Swift. I don't know Trump. So why bother wasting my time hating them.
I hate you!

I'd hate you but you are only a mule !
By clearlyamule 2018-01-18 15:34:46  
Only? Mules are great

[+]
By Zerowone 2018-01-18 15:38:11  
clearlyamule said: »
Only? Mules are great

This post contains an element of Russian Collusion.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-01-18 15:45:49  
We're all comrades here
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-18 18:30:14  
'Steele dossier' firm suspected Trump-Russia money laundering
The Hill

Quote:
In over 150 pages of testimony released by the House Intelligence Committee on Thursday, Glenn Simpson, the co-founder of the firm behind the so-called “Steele dossier,” alleged a constellation of business deals that he said suggested the Russians could be laundering money through then-candidate Donald Trump.

Simpson stopped short of saying the firm had found definitive proof of such dealings, telling investigators that, “evidence, I think, is a strong word.” ...
Please note that this does not mean Trump was complicit in any money laundering. Orange chicken for brains could have just seen this as wonderful business opportunities dropped in his lap due to his "superior negotiating skills."
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2018-01-18 18:48:22  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
“evidence, I think, is a strong word.”

The Russia investigation in a nutshell.
[+]
By fonewear 2018-01-18 18:57:04  
The Hill

Quote:
In over 150 pages of testimony released by the House Intelligence Committee on Thursday, Glenn Simpson, the co-founder of the firm behind the so-called “Steele dossier,” alleged a constellation of business deals that he said suggested the Russians could be laundering money through then-candidate Donald Trump.

Simpson stopped short of saying the firm had found definitive proof of such dealings, telling investigators that, “evidence, I think, is a strong word.” ...
Please note that this does not mean Trump was complicit in any money laundering. Orange chicken for brains could have just seen this as wonderful business opportunities dropped in his lap due to his "superior negotiating skills."

I can't wait to read all 150 pages.
[+]
By Zerowone 2018-01-18 21:00:32  
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/18/china-facial-recognition-uyghurs-xinjiang/

Oh hey look China went all IngSoc.
By fonewear 2018-01-18 21:06:28  
Give em Tendies !
YouTube Video Placeholder
By Nausi 2018-01-18 21:19:39  
***is about to hit the fan.

Quote:
A review of a classified document outlining what is described as extensive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act abuse was made available to all House members Thursday and the revelations could lead to the removal of senior officials in the FBI and Department of Justice, several sources with knowledge of the document stated. These sources say the report is “explosive,” stating they would not be surprised if it leads to the end of Robert Mueller’s Special Counsel investigation into President Trump and his associates.
By Nausi 2018-01-18 21:23:46  
By Viciouss 2018-01-18 21:41:00  
Tomorrow Trump is gonna sign the 6 year FISA extension with no changes, and the Mueller investigation will continue of course.
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-18 22:17:56  
Nausi said: »
***is about to hit the fan.

Quote:
A review of a classified document outlining what is described as extensive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act abuse was made available to all House members Thursday and the revelations could lead to the removal of senior officials in the FBI and Department of Justice, several sources with knowledge of the document stated. These sources say the report is “explosive,” stating they would not be surprised if it leads to the end of Robert Mueller’s Special Counsel investigation into President Trump and his associates.

Gonna be fun to see how this one pans out. The whole thing was highly suspect after it came out the DNC under the direction of the Clinton election campaign funded for the Dossier to be expanded after the Anti-Trump Republicans tossed it out.
By Nausi 2018-01-18 23:08:08  
Twitter has suspended the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2018-01-18 23:16:33  
#ReleaseTheMemo
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2018-01-19 09:16:35  
The Hill

Quote:

I can't wait to read all 150 pages.
The Simpsons will probably have an episode on it soon.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 28 29 30 ... 55 56 57