フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Learning About Job Traits
Learning About Job Traits
 Phoenix.Taplaiceps
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Special1
By Phoenix.Taplaiceps 2017-09-25 07:26:33  
Hey crew,

I'm just delving into min-maxing my job traits, but don't quite understand how they work exactly.

Here: it states that "4 set points is for dual wield tier 1". When I set Quad Continuum only, I did not have dual wield. However, if I set Delta Thurst and Barbed Crescent, I do have dual wield. I don't quite understand why the single spell didn't give me the 1st trait.

I'm trying to be the most efficient, and setup Triple Attack. I currently have: Acrid Stream, Heavy Strike, and Thrashing Assault set, but did I set Triple Attack correctly? And is there a way, besides extensive testing, to see if it is set?

Finally, in your CP PT groups, or strict DD groups, where you will have a haster, and a refresher, what is your ideal job trait setting? I'm only at 250 points right now, but would love some suggestions. Right now I have: Attack Bonus, Accuracy Bonus, Crit Attack Bonus, Triple Attack (hopefully), Dual Wield, Skillchain Bonus, and Store TP. I'm using /war to stack on the double attack as well.

Tap
 Phoenix.Libbien
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Alttp
By Phoenix.Libbien 2017-09-25 08:01:02  
Delta thrust and barbed crescent is the most efficient way to get DW on blu, requiring the fewest set points. Each job trait requires 8 points worth of that trait to be active. So basically delta thrust gives you 4 points toward DW as does barbed crescent, which is why you get DW. To reach another tier, barring job point gifts, you would need another 8 points of DW. Certain traits like treasure hunter and triple attack are unique in that there is only 1 tier and requires stacking a different trait, gilfinder and double attack respectively, to attain them. And lastly, it doesn't work for every trait, but for triple attack you can just check your job trait list. Traits gained via spells set will show in that list.

As for the spellset, I'm sure some will disagree but i never take flutter off because id rather not rely on someone else hasting me not to mention erratic flutter is haste 2 which is hard to come by at times and gives fastcast trait anyways. Battery charge you can go ahead and ditch in the right circumstances though.
By Special1 2017-09-25 08:11:37  
Phoenix.Libbien said: »
Delta thrust and barbed crescent is the most efficient way to get DW on blu, requiring the fewest set points. Each job trait requires 8 points worth of that trait to be active. So basically delta thrust gives you 4 points toward DW as does barbed crescent, which is why you get DW. To reach another tier, barring job point gifts, you would need another 8 points of DW. Certain traits like treasure hunter and triple attack are unique in that there is only 1 tier and requires stacking a different trait, gilfinder and double attack respectively, to attain them. And lastly, it doesn't work for every trait, but for triple attack you can just check your job trait list. Traits gained via spells set will show in that list.

As for the spellset, I'm sure some will disagree but i never take flutter off because id rather not rely on someone else hasting me not to mention erratic flutter is haste 2 which is hard to come by at times and gives fastcast trait anyways. Battery charge you can go ahead and ditch in the right circumstances though.

Thanks!! I didn't sleep much last night, and I completely forgot about the job trait list. Didn't even check there.

Still am interested in the job trait setups however. I agree with Haste 2 and Refresh, but right now, without 1200JP, and not even all my allocated blue points, I'm trying to be as efficient as possible.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2017-09-25 08:15:21  
Each tier of a trait (if applicable) requires 8 trait points. You didn't get Dual Wield from Quadratic Continuum alone because it only gives 4 trait points.
The part of the table you're quoting is referring to the minimum amount of set points required - that 55-80 points you have to build your spell set with. In that respect, 4 points is correct - Delta Thrust and Barbed Crescent both cost 2 set points, and give 4 trait points for Dual Wield.

If you have set Triple Attack, you'll see Triple Attack listed in your traits. With what you mention setting, you have it.

The guide here has nice sets to start with for the highest output at a set point level. Offhand, I don't think there's too much past what you're already setting to some degree, for pure damage output. What can be worth looking at is what utility spells or defensive traits you might benefit from, or adjusting strategy.

Personally, I'm loathe to ever not set Flutter and some basic healing and such.
[+]
By Special1 2017-09-26 17:03:58  
Just found out about Bluguide. Makes it much easier. Done!