Pet Target Switching

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Pet target switching
Pet target switching
By Evilwyzeguy 2017-09-17 20:31:36  
Is there a way to stop my pet from switching from my selected target when it's hit by an aoe?
By clearlyamule 2017-09-17 21:49:17  
No. SE has stated that's how they want bst pets to be.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [86 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2017-12-12 12:16:12  
You can't stop it switching, but you can get it back on track.

you heel the pet, then send it at the target of choice. pretty sure healing pet clears your pets enmity list. Like a mob, it keeps an enmity list of other mobs.

yes, it might go elsewhere in the next AoE, and you have to repeat.
By clearlyamule 2017-12-12 12:23:18  
Seriously doubt SE even bothered to add the extra layer of giving monsters enmity just for bst pets. Especially since you can be fighting something for a long time and the second anything else acts on it once it beelines that way. Pretty sure it takes a last action taken stance
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2017-12-12 13:05:19  
Any Ideas on how to test?

because I think you are forgetting, bst pets ARE mobs. Its not until they created Ready moves, and made them different that they started to diverge.

The mechanics were there because the we were using charmed mobs for the longest time. jug pets felt like they were tacked on to accomodate BCNM's and other closed fights.

So its not about SE adding an extra layer. Its about whether they stripped it away or not.
By clearlyamule 2017-12-12 13:42:15  
It would be pretty hard to get precise numbers given enmity you can't really control a wild monster to get controlled setup especially when you also have little control over your pet as well. You can get really rough guesses similar to my example of how the pet moves at first hint of anything happening to it. So get something to beat on your pet for awhile then get something else to act on it. You'll actually see this fairly commonly when fighting mobs that cast frequently. Try worms you can fight one for quite awhile and the second another one hits your pet it goes off running. Or Tenzen fight for example... every damn time

I'm not forgetting that. But at the same time jugs are very much different than charmed pets. Moves aside there is also reward, automatic death, run wild, dynamic ilvl changing, checkparam. And I'm more talking the rest of the game. Actually having to give monsters enmity generation and keeping track of it back in a day when literally the only thing it could effect was bst pets
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2017-12-12 14:04:39  
pet doesn't move at the first hint of anything happening to it. it takes a big cure or a big nuke.

Mobs don't use enmity generating tools much. If an enemy uses provoke on a player, it just forcibly changes the target. because ofcourse enmity mechanics cannot work on players.

think of it this way.

if you took 2 mobs in the game, neither one controlled by players, but just by the AI, and you set them against each other, the fights would be completely boring and predictable.

They don't use any enmity generation tools, because they are designed to face players. so how would it work?

There are no special enmity generating features of sic or ready moves. They are standard, basic damage enmity.
so what affects enmity? Damage dealt, damage taken, damage healed. Damage healed is easy to avoid. most mobs can't cure anything.

And the attack speed is pretty close to the same. its a boring tic for tack hitting back and forth. Like watching rock'em sock'em robots on a metronome.
That is UNTIL you add multiple targets. Then it should depend on how much damage each target has dealt vs how much it has taken.

Actually that leads to exactly how to prove it. well I can only prove it positive, can't disprove either theory.

IF I can have 2 targets attacking my pet, and 1 target uses a TP move to do bigger damage, and my pet stays on that target even after the 2nd target hits him, then it should show that the pet has its own enmity and is not just going back and forth.
This might work on pet taking a good enough crit hit also.

This would be easier to get and example if 1 target is considerably stronger than another. how long does bst pet stay on main nm target when other weaker adds are present?

I'm pretty sure I've seen this while fighting Duke Vepar. it takes several hits before pet will go over to the gnat add. I'll have to test it. but I'm pretty sure I've seen this kind of behavior for a long time. getting xp on bst, if a link joins the fight against pet, it doesn't turn right away.
Are you thinking of bst on Tenzen fight?
By clearlyamule 2017-12-12 14:46:46  
I've literally seen this happen just a couple of weeks ago testing tp drain kiss on worms under fairly controlled circumstances albeit for completely different reasons. After getting nuked and meleed multiple times by the same worm if I got a link and the link hit it with anything it would run straight to the link first time. I also cleave reisin a ton in an area with tons of dark fairies even bio pulls my pets away every time. It's being pulled away like that that is responsible for most my deaths lol

Not sure about the last question... like what else would I be talking about in this conversation?

Edit: I think you missed the point of enmity generation. I wasn't talking about hate tools. I was talking actually generating it at all. Why would SE bother having monsters generate enmity, doing those calculations and keeping track of it just for bst pets?
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2017-12-12 17:32:34  
And if you think I missed your point, it means you definitely missed mine.

Its not about the monsters generating enmity, its about all monsters having a hate list all monsters keep track of who is at the top of the list. All monsters obviously respond to enmity. If you use snarl all hate goes to your pet. when you hit monster, you generate enmity. When your pet (be it bst, pup, smn, drg) hits it the pet gets on monsters hate list.

you assume that pets do not have a similiar hate list and that it would be extra effort to create one.

I'm insisting that all creatures would by default have it, and it would be extra effort to remove it. The reasons they would generate enmity is because it is built into the core battle mechanics. those mechanics simply do not apply to player characters because players retain control.
The only player pet which is still affected by normal mob enmity rules are bst pets.
or do wyverns? I haven't played drg in so long I don't remember.

but avatars and automatons stay focused on the target they have been assigned by the player.

but if a bst pet EVER stays on target beyond initial hit when an add joins in, then your theory falls apart.