users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » Pup defense against magic
Pup defense against magic
 Shiva.Malthar
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-05-17 10:43:00  
How do you get the tank pup to defend against magic? All magic mobs seem to f'it up. I tried to use the magic defense attachment with water maneuvers, but it still takes it up the strings. :-\
 Leviathan.Stamos
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2017-05-17 10:50:14  
On what? What's your DT set looking like Malthar? Stuff like Seiryu will wreck your Automaton, but other than that ??? lol
By clearlyamule 2017-05-17 11:34:18  
Manajammers are mdb so won't help as much as you might want or sometimes at all. There are a few options depending on the situation. Like if it's a mob that doesn't dispel you can find a mob in zone with shell and steal it. Alternatively can just use harlquin frame to shell itself. Both will help you can mdt.

With mobs that are doing the same move/msg type over and over equalizer. That's how I beat frog ambuscade. Took the quelling hammers from 20-30k to like 200-500. And slot or the ja nukes went to 0.

Stoneskin can help. And there are always alternative solutions like for seiryu using galvanizer to counter the hits so the enspell won't get you though breathes will still hurt a bit unless maybe you use mage frame

A repair set can help a bit too

And as always add more dt/hp if you can

Also in a roundabout way making sure you are capped on pet helps. Sure the magic moves might be what's killing the auto but the physical is effectively countering some of the seven. And bgwiki had incorrect values for the attachment
 Shiva.Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-05-17 12:09:40  
I use a pair of midnights and animator p +1

This is my tanking set:

And for the pup:

I try to get the ranger pup to open with Arcuballistaso the tank can close with cannibal blade.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
サーバ: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-05-17 12:09:47  
Out of curiosity what would put shell above manajammers as they are both mdb. Are the manajammer mdb values too low ?
 Shiva.Spathaian
user: Spathaian
By Shiva.Spathaian 2017-05-17 12:13:58  
Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
Out of curiosity what would put shell above manajammers as they are both mdb. Are the manajammer mdb values too low ?
Unless things have changed Shell actually functions as MDT, not MDB.
[+]
 Shiva.Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-05-17 12:14:52  
absorb-attri is a good idea, if the mob casts buffs on itself.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-17 12:15:20  
Shiva.Spathaian said: »
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
サーバ: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2017-05-17 12:19:33  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Shiva.Spathaian said: »
you are right. Thanks
By clearlyamule 2017-05-17 13:04:03  
Shiva.Malthar said: »
I use a pair of midnights and animator p +1

This is my tanking set:

And for the pup:

I try to get the ranger pup to open with Arcuballistaso the tank can close with cannibal blade.
Phew I'm back. Think the spoilers broke this on my mobile lol.

Anyways just based on the set if you swap in anwig (af3 when tp over 1k), condemners, Shepherd's Chain, Isa Belt, Thurandaut Ring+1, and Enmerkar earring you'd gain 20 dt which would help a lot on magic but given how low on dt you are would also help with physical since you are undercapped there as well.

As far as attachments I'm not really a fan of Barrier module but then again not a lot is known on it so meh. I'd cut target marker. CB isn't missing and if you got a rng auto there along with it and you are maneuvering in a way to force arcu then chances are it has similar accuracy already to valoredge. Sounds like you are using the autos to tank/dd so if keeping hate off of "real" dds isn't an issue dropping 1 or both hate attachments is worth considering. Having the non "tank" one occasionally get hate is completely fine since it's going to be able to idle in a bit of dt and will also have a decent amount regen as well. Back when I still did sharpshot + valoredge I'd actually have the sharpshot have provoke and then the valoredge would naturally gain hate because well the rng using provoke and armor shatterer couldn't really keep up with closing light skillchains with bonecrushers lol.
[+]
 Shiva.Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-05-17 20:16:50  
The midnights are augmented with damage taken -3. And I didn't even realize I wasn't using the Shepard's chain or Isa belt. x.x

I use anwing when I don't have trusts out, but Taeon otherwise. And I swapped out my Thurandaut for the cooking ring. And hell will freeze over before I +1 it.

I'm working on getting the Enmerkar earring, but it doesn't want to drop.

What augments can you get on the condemners?
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
サーバ: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-05-17 20:41:50  
-5%dt on h2h, there are listings on other pup forum post about -dt set and augments.
By clearlyamule 2017-05-18 12:50:37  
Also even if you don't have condemners you can get 5 dt with old fairy quest h2h and alluvion skirmish hands offer 4 dt as well as a bunch of acc and tp bonus or +stats depending on what you might want. Condemners can also get acc and probably some other useful stats but good luck with that lottery. Midnights are really the worst to idle in. Great for maneuvering though.
By Chosenone1 2017-05-18 16:46:19  
I dont play pup at all but why in the hell is this thread not called "Defense against the dark arts"?