First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Shiva.Aldaron
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Aldy
By Shiva.Aldaron 2017-01-30 18:53:56  
Asura.Diavos said: »
Shiva.Aldaron said: »
"Ugh for one week we're slightly inconvenienced in order for this event to benefit a lot people, but those people aren't me so ugh"

Removing the learning experience and chance to have a little fun with your LS/friends/PUGs isn't what I call a benefit. Give a man a fish, teach a man to fish, yadda yadda.

Yeah, these people getting drops to better themselves to be able to join groups tackling this content. How will they learn now! I'm sure everyone has received multiple pieces of every drop from this event, so they'll never have to step foot into Reisenjima for realz.

If anyone has a group of friends/shell/PUG capable of farming the gear themselves, of course they'd be doing that over this event. Not everyone is the same or in the same circumstance as you.

Nothing is removed, what's stopping them/you from popping the NMs manually if you so desire? Lag at the entrance?

Or, are you just salty people are getting random pieces of free gear from content a year+ old, because you farmed the pieces normally, thus earning it legitimatly unlike all of these instant gratification plebs camping 5 hours for a single random drop?

Come on dude lol.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-01-30 18:57:38  
I don't really see the problem.

You have to be aware that even being able to participate in T3 Reisenjima NMs requires a certain level of gear. Newer players or more casual players simply can't participate (unless you have a REALLY nice LS...) or get gear because their gear simply isn't ready. And let's be totally honest: the divide between low-tier 119 gear and top-tier 119 gear is huge. In the current game, if you have shitty gear and not a lot of time, you are stuck at the bottom. It's way harder these days to find people to help you up the ladder. These January campaigns are helping to bridge the gap in order to allow newer/returning players to be relevant.

They're not handing out mythics. They're handing out what is essentially the weakest gear possible in order to allow players to be able to participate in endgame events.

And besides, the most efficient way to get that Herc body is still to go out and fight the NM. Nobody is taking that away from you.
 Lakshmi.Ashtopcat
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: ashtopcat
By Lakshmi.Ashtopcat 2017-01-30 18:59:56  
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
And besides, the most efficient way to get that Herc body is still to go out and fight the NM.

my mule begs to differ, 1 herc body and 1 jubbah to my 3 ody bodies.....
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-01-30 19:02:22  
Lakshmi.Ashtopcat said: »
And besides, the most efficient way to get that Herc body is still to go out and fight the NM.

my mule begs to differ, 1 herc body and 1 jubbah to my 3 ody bodies.....

and I'm 0/150~ on any bodies.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-01-30 19:40:50  
After continued persistence I picked up three Herc vests, one valor body, one chironic body, and other equips. I agree the drop rates hurt, but sitting on 6m silt, an aeonic key item, another 50k beads, and not far from 11/11 accuracy vorseal makes it a good week. I hope it returns, but not for a while.

Rewarding but tiresome .. averaged 3-4 pieces a day since Sunday. Found three weapons from Naga (all week) and didn't get many Regen vorseals from Azi. Finally got Valor body last night and got a decent augment too. Population is low when I play so farming silt/beads was easier .. so I can only imagine the lag issues elsewhere. The crazy thing is the event got me playing the game instead of doing other things .. like work.
 Ragnarok.Graspee
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: graspee
By Ragnarok.Graspee 2017-01-30 19:50:27  
They're not handing out mythics. They're handing out what is essentially the weakest gear possible in order to allow players to be able to participate in endgame events.

Great, so someone gets their blm PLd in zitah 1-99, gets full merlinic for free from this event and now they can do omen every day. Congratulations, random person, you just skipped the entire game so you can chip away at the same wall as people who have been playing for over a decade.
 Asura.Diavos
サーバ: Asura
user: Diavolo
By Asura.Diavos 2017-01-30 19:54:12  
Shiva.Aldaron said: »
Nothing is removed, what's stopping them/you from popping the NMs manually if you so desire? Lag at the entrance?

I was playing Doom and Warcraft over a 14.4 baud modem in the mid 90's. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think lag is an issue.

Incentive, that's what's stopping people from forming groups and popping those NMs. Gear is the #1 driving force in this game. Show me one server that didn't have hundreds of people attending Domain Invasion on a daily basis throughout the duration of this event. Every last piece of gear obtained from this event represents one or more NMs a player won't need to fight, one less reason to step into Escha Ru'Aun or Reis.

Personally speaking, I used it to gear up mules. One character walked out with several full sets of Reisenjima gear. That's a good chunk of time I now no longer have to invest in fighting those NMs. You see that as a benefit. I see that as time this game will no longer draw from me. Does it help new/returning players? Maybe, just as throwing some guy on the corner of the street a free t-shirt might help him. Does it help the game? I don't see how in the long term, but I'm fighting a losing battle here considering how the market has shifted over the last decade. It won't be long before this community is cannibalized by the mobile version of the game, where everyone enjoying the free gear thrown at them today will probably be paying for it with microtransactions and liking it.

Quote:
Or, are you just salty people are getting random pieces of free gear from content a year+ old, because you farmed the pieces normally, thus earning it legitimatly unlike all of these instant gratification plebs camping 5 hours for a single random drop?

Come on dude lol.

I'm insulted that you didn't include an Obama meme after that line!
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-01-30 19:57:01  
While players got this equipment easily, we should remember they will still want to get vorseals, abjurations and accessories from these NM.
[+]
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-01-30 21:10:03  
Ragnarok.Graspee said: »

Great, so someone gets their blm PLd in zitah 1-99, gets full merlinic for free from this event and now they can do omen every day. Congratulations, random person, you just skipped the entire game so you can chip away at the same wall as people who have been playing for over a decade.

The alternative is them literally not being able to play the game 50% of the time.

And let's be real, simply having 5/5 merlinic doesn't make you ready for Omen. You still need situational gear, merits, CP, skillups, money, etc. in order to excel.

But having 5/5 merlinic lets them START doing those things. As I said, it's more or less the minimum amount of gear required to be able to partake in endgame activities.
[+]
By Calinar 2017-01-30 21:21:10  
But having 5/5 merlinic lets them START doing those things. As I said, it's more or less the minimum amount of gear required to be able to partake in endgame activities.

This is the problem with their whole "gear ladder" garbage. No one wants to bother climbing up replacing piece by piece.

Just jump to the top. Screw skirmish and random augs, to replace it with zitah gear to get sky gear to get reisen gear.

Everyone expects you to START with the top gear, the option of climbing up piece by piece the longer its out becomes a complete non-option.

"you need a merlinic body to be allowed to farm a merlinic body etc"
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2017-01-30 21:27:11  
Calinar said: »

This is the problem with their whole "gear ladder" garbage. No one wants to bother climbing up replacing piece by piece.

Just jump to the top. Screw skirmish and random augs, to replace it with zitah gear to get sky gear to get reisen gear.

Everyone expects you to START with the top gear, the option of climbing up piece by piece the longer its out becomes a complete non-option.

That's one of the flaws of the game (post 75 era). It's incredibly easy to get to 99, but relatively difficult to actually be -useful- at 99 unless you have friends
[+]
 Ragnarok.Graspee
By Ragnarok.Graspee 2017-01-30 21:39:17  
I came back to the game last April (so less than a year ago). I have done omen, Escha T1 and T2, Ambu etc. all without reisenjima armour. You don't NEED that stuff and there are people doing the events that are older like delve, SR and skirmish. I only recently started doing reisenjima NMs and picking up pieces of merlinic. If I'd got free merlinic from this event right away and a free Lathi from it too I might never have bothered doing the older content and that would be sad.

Maybe your server is different.
[+]
By Calinar 2017-01-30 21:45:56  
Ragnarok.Graspee said: »
I came back to the game last April (so less than a year ago). I have done omen, Escha T1 and T2, Ambu etc. all without reisenjima armour. You don't NEED that stuff and there are people doing the events that are older like delve, SR and skirmish. I only recently started doing reisenjima NMs and picking up pieces of merlinic. If I'd got free merlinic from this event right away and a free Lathi from it too I might never have bothered doing the older content and that would be sad.

Maybe your server is different.

People expect you to have full abj/reisen and REMA for starter content like Ambuscade and SR. Its quite obviously not needed, but that's people.
By clearlyamule 2017-01-30 21:48:53  
Calinar said: »

Well that and even if bridge stuff was (and it to an extent it is) acceptable vertical gear progression makes it so most people are onto the next thing makes it harder to get anyone to help with said bridge content outside of campaigns for it.

God though I'd kill to have the alluvion skirmish aug system back instead of the reisin. Ugg imagine how many less hours of trading it would be if each stone instead of biasing certain stats only added ones for that slot
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-01-30 22:11:16  
In 75 and 99-0 eras, there were always new players inc. Content was also... differently designed. This flux of players meant there were always newbies in sky and sea, embarrassing themselves at Fafnir and earning merits in the strangest places while having "fun" (Don't ask me, I think it's like chocolate).

You could merc relic kills but you couldn't practically merc a relic any more than you could merc an Idris.

While I loathe Abyssea now, Abyssea's ladder was exceptionally well designed. As someone who came back at level 90, I got invites into seal farming parties because they needed this or that job. I got invites later into empy item farming parties because they needed this or that job.

The players that got geared up off other people's empy NMs then went back and farmed their own empies and geared other people.

The community was willing to help for the bulk of abyssea because players got the items they needed/wanted as well.

Now if you join an EGLS (as someone who, like most of you, has a very good one), you either need the gear or need a good reason that they should help you get... everything you need.

Some people come back to nostalgic friends and get auto-carried. Some people just do nothing and wait for others to carry them and some people come back and pay someone else to get them the best gear in the game. Hardcore play, you could go zero to hero in 2 days, if you can get 50k beads.

If anything, I'd like to see the free loot be on a more reliably system. I hate watching people practically pray for gear.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Graspee
By Ragnarok.Graspee 2017-01-31 00:03:49  
I literally prayed for gear! I sent myself tells saying "Prayer: please let me get a merlinic jubbah!" hoping maybe a GM would see it and take pity on me.

That's what it does to your mind when you do 150 hours of farming this event this week to get a merlinic jubbah and don't get one while some people turn up their first day back, wearing sparks gear, afk in the fight and get a merlinic jubbah first time.
 Sylph.Braden
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Braden 2017-01-31 00:26:41  
and some people win the lottery, what a crock
By Pantafernando 2017-01-31 09:14:33  
anyone else having problems? crashed while zoning and cant come back.

Dragons revenge!
 Leviathan.Woble
サーバ: Leviathan
user: woble
By Leviathan.Woble 2017-01-31 13:42:12  
I'm a self-professed casual solo player these days, with my friends long gone. With a career and family now, I only get in maybe an hour or two a night, and have only had an active account for 6 months over the past 3 years. Having returned again last November, this event was right up my alley. I spammed it at nights and weekends, and got 20/25 armor pieces and 14/22 weapons. I didn't go in hoping for any 1 piece in particular, and any new item that dropped was a bonus. My main job, while far from optimal, isn't badly geared, but this event did allow me to fill out gear for other jobs I play less. It was not for the serious players that still have friends and/or time to play with, but I'm sure plenty of casuals got a lot out of it.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8