Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 141 142 143
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-01-11 15:24:32  
Leviathan.Kaparu said: »
AFAIK Taeon is still BIS for head/hands. I don't care to create multiple Alluvian sets, so mine are currently maxed TA/Crit damage/Acc so I can use them for CDC as well.

Good Chironic augs (toss them at Oseem during DM campaign) can beat Taeon; even non-DM pieces can come close. Viable option if you don't have very well augmented Taeon already, might start with hands slot in particular.

For head, Ayanmo+2 head is a very solid piece. IIRC the combo of Acc/STP and way higher DEX beats TA Taeon at least in some situations (depends on Acc needs, Temper, total STP, etc.). At the very least, close enough that if you don't already have perfect Taeon Chapeau you might not want to bother with Alluvion augments.
By shubb1282 2018-01-11 16:04:26  
Forgive me if i've missed it but how high does WSD Aug need to be on chironic to make it BiS for Savage Blade?
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-01-11 16:16:09  
shubb1282 said: »
Forgive me if i've missed it but how high does WSD Aug need to be on chironic to make it BiS for Savage Blade?

I'm just going to reply to this for a general reason, not specific numbers. Any time you're trying to figure out a WSD:Stat exchange (i.e. how much 1 WSD equates in straight STR/DEX/whatever boost), it's always going to be dependent on your other gear. Yes, there are estimations, but no hard set rule.

Best answer? Have your two options, and go out and test 'em!
By zaxtiss 2018-01-11 16:19:57  
shubb1282 said: »
you should be able to get WSD +5% with atleast 15 STR imo that would prob be your best shot.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-01-11 17:16:36  
Chironic can’t get wsd except with dark matter though. Fyi
[+]
 Asura.Byrne
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Byrne 2018-01-11 17:26:34  
Also bear in mind, wsd from chironic with dm goes to 10, not 5
 Leviathan.Kaparu
user: Tsuko
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2018-01-11 17:42:43  
As a rule, I'd advise against planning around DM augments for things like this. Jhakri is pretty incredible for Savage
[+]
By Boshi 2018-01-11 17:43:59  
Which non-DM augs come close for tp phase on chironic?
This works on like BRD if you maybe toss DW+5 on a slot, but because rdm has taeon, there's nothign that's worth TA2 on top of the massive loss in str+dex.

Basically you'd be hoping for like a qa+3 DM aug with acc/att from dm AND you'd have to make sure you made up the haste somewhere.
Even at this, this is probably only viable on hands...

Ayanmo+2 head never beats Taeon based on temper or stp or ect.
-It's good for max acc set vs. carmine+1 IF you can afford to lose 2haste in that set to get that stp6.
-It's a great piece for melee pdt tho, the legs help makeup the haste in this.

----
You need a pretty damn good wsd aug to beat jhakri.
Something 6-10 unless yo uget really high str, even then it will probably be low on attack.
Jhakri+2 feet themselves are pretty good savage feet for -blu-, most blu with wsd herc use augs that don't beat their jhakri (usually on legs and feet).
comparison: (added taeon 20accatt ta2 wsd3 also)
jhak: STR25 MND+21 attack42, dex28 acc42
taeon 20/20/2/3: STR+10 MND+10 WSD3 attack20, dex22 acc27 ta+2
baseChir: STR+6 MND+24 attack20, dex6

str-19 mnd+3 attack-22 acc-42 dex-22 starting point
 Asura.Cicion
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2018-01-11 18:41:33  
sub="Sequence",
main="Almace",
ammo="Paeapua",
head={ name="Taeon Chapeau", augments={'Accuracy+19 Attack+19','"Triple Atk."+2','STR+2 DEX+2',}},
body={ name="Taeon Tabard", augments={'Accuracy+18 Attack+18','"Triple Atk."+2','DEX+3',}},
hands={ name="Taeon Gloves", augments={'Accuracy+20 Attack+20','"Triple Atk."+2','STR+3 DEX+3',}},
legs={ name="Carmine Cuisses +1", augments={'Accuracy+20','Attack+12','"Dual Wield"+6',}},
feet={ name="Carmine Greaves +1", augments={'Accuracy+12','DEX+12','MND+20',}},
neck="Clotharius Torque",
waist="Windbuffet Belt +1",
left_ear="Suppanomimi",
right_ear="Sherida Earring",
left_ring="Petrov Ring",
right_ring="Hetairoi Ring",
back={ name="Sucellos's Cape", augments={'DEX+20','Accuracy+20 Attack+20','Accuracy+10','"Store TP"+10',}}}
What i'm using when i melee. 12hit after WSing (could 11 hit if i add on 9 stp but not gonna bother)getting 33 triple att from temper 2 assuming no cap i'm not testing 631 skill.
So thats 45 total triple attack 38 stp and 10 double. I'm fine with being the triple attack prince mabey will overtake the king spot in the future but doubtful.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2018-01-11 23:11:48  
That's 41 TA, assuming capped Temper II Realized far after you mentioned your enhancing skill

Pretty sure Ayanmo +2 body wins in all situations
 Asura.Cicion
user: cicion
By Asura.Cicion 2018-01-11 23:39:30  
I was under the impression temper had no cap. If someone has tested 620+ skill ranges id be interested in that.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2018-01-12 05:19:08  
You’re correct AFAIK. I don’t imagine many people are running around over the 30-31 range without changing weapons, though. Pretty sure that’s a literal BIS, dual Stikini+1 scenario in itself

Edit: Yeah, with maxed enhancing outside of weird augments I may be overlooking, its exactly 31% without changing weapons. 33% is possible pre-fight. Again, this is assuming ~150m in equipment, so I'd consider most people 'capped' at 30%
By waffle 2018-01-12 14:52:35  
Asura.Cicion said: »
I was under the impression temper had no cap. If someone has tested 620+ skill ranges id be interested in that.
As far as I know, no one has tested temper in the over 610 range. I'd like to see some numbers on enspells for that range since they should be easier to test.
 Cerberus.Devlin
By Cerberus.Devlin 2018-01-17 09:26:56  
Was thinking of gearing up red Mage to use. Is it still viable in content for endgame or more for fun these days? It was my first Mage job i tried seriously and always liked it. Just curious really. Thanks in advance!
 Asura.Inuyushi
user: Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2018-01-17 09:34:17  
Cerberus.Devlin said: »
Was thinking of gearing up red Mage to use. Is it still viable in content for endgame or more for fun these days? It was my first Mage job i tried seriously and always liked it. Just curious really. Thanks in advance!

It has some roles in end game, but not as vast as GEO, COR, or BRD. It can be essential to SCDMG setups like Kei (RNG, RUN, RDM, GEO, SCH) where it can both main heal and debuff. But to that point it main heals in any setup where there's only one person in range of damage.

It can also rule some months in Ambuscade when BRD can't cover sleeping the mobs due to light resisting mobs.

I personally use it everyday to farm Quetz and enjoy it over BLU in that aspect. But once that's done, I don't use it much. It was my first 75 and I still greatly enjoy it.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-17 10:08:03  

It's useful in several different setups as long as the player has all the different necessary sets. It works great as a main healer, provided you don't need to spam AoE heals cause Curaga II just isn't enough. It's enfeebles are ridiculously powerful, provided the target doesn't self-erase and isn't immune to them.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-01-17 10:13:29  
Even self-erase mobs are no problem to enfeeble unless their move gets rid of all of them at once, like Caturaes.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-17 10:21:14  
Sab has a limited timer which is the issue. Plus "their move gets rid of all of them at once, like Caturaes" is what I was talking about.
 Asura.Fabiano
user: Falsetto
By Asura.Fabiano 2018-01-17 10:36:57  

For what it's worth, these past couple of months my RDM has gotten the most mileage out of being highly desired in V1 Ambuscades, which was nice.
 Shiva.Spynx
サーバ: Shiva
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2018-01-17 10:45:29  
I loved RDM in the 75 era where it was absolutely a beast but at this stage it's a very niche job. The only distinctive feature it still has are very powerful enfeebles (slow/para2, dia3, frazzle/distract3) that are hardly required for anything and often dispelled too easily by mobs. It's been nice for a couple of ambuscade thanks to the long-lasting dark-based sleep(qiqirn month) and potent slow 2 (Qutrub month) but if you are planning to use it to get invites to endgame content I would advise to work on something else. If you actually enjoy the job a lot and plan to mostly solo/lowman, go for it, it's actually a fun job to play that takes a lot more than just key-mashing
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-01-17 10:57:21  
Shiva.Spynx said: »
I loved RDM in the 75 era where it was absolutely a beast but at this stage it's a very niche job. The only distinctive feature it still has are very powerful enfeebles (slow/para2, dia3, frazzle/distract3) that are hardly required for anything and often dispelled too easily by mobs. It's been nice for a couple of ambuscade thanks to the long-lasting dark-based sleep(qiqirn month) and potent slow 2 (Qutrub month) but if you are planning to use it to get invites to endgame content I would advise to work on something else. If you actually enjoy the job a lot and plan to mostly solo/lowman, go for it, it's actually a fun job to play that takes a lot more than just key-mashing

As for many in this forum, RDM was my startup job over a decade ago when I began this mess. So I have a certain affinity to it that I'll never have for other jobs. But Spynx's post hits it on the head.

For a long time, I enjoyed being in a shell with another well geared, well versed RDM, so we always had one of us on pretty much all content. Its a great luxury to be able to throw a saboteur'ed Distract3 on WoC, silence maju without headache, have Flurry II for your Rangers on a Schah, or land a sabo-Frazzle3 on Zerde. RDM used to be a requirement (back in the 75 cap) for anything endgame. Nowadays, its a luxury- never necessary, but life sure is good with it.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-01-17 11:43:16  
Hmm? RDM was quite good at 75, but I don't remember it being a requirement for any endgame. We were good all-around mages, able to cure, buff, enfeeble, etc, but we didn't have any special niches outside of refresh I on the mages in a period where refresh was rare. Even then, once bards started getting Gjallarhorns more often, Ballads far outpowered Refresh I.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-17 12:02:35  
While everyone hit different phases of the game at different times, CSS was pretty standard for quite a few things.

Not that it was "required" but we'll call it "encouraged".

There wasn't much of anything rdm wasn't "wanted" for, and wouldn't be done without. things are rarely "required".

There was a rdm in literally every party, for every thing until Afflatus:Solace started to change things, and Scholar got added.

(your experience may very as per server) RDM failed to keep up with power creep. And then geo dnc and run took everything rdm did, and killed it.
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2018-01-17 12:14:44  
RDM in master trials is amazing.
My group used RDM over GEO for those and I 4 man omen with a rdm instead as well and have zero issues. But our rdms are also geared to high hell.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-01-17 12:31:02  
RDM is one of those jobs that just makes everything easier but is rarely *required* to clear content. Seemingly small stuff like Haste II and Refresh III on tanks and healers, backup healing for status intensive fights, enfeebles and so forth. One not mentioned is Addle II and how ridiculously potent it is. -70 MACC is pretty big when your tank is stacking barspells and other sources of MEVD, basically RUN's. The extra casting time generally means less TP moves and damage as magic spells are rarely very dangerous, and if they are it's due to a status ailment like Sleep, Petrify or Stun.
[+]
 Sylph.Oraen
サーバ: Sylph
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2018-01-17 12:44:30  
Most of the answers in here are spot on. I've never needed a RDM for content, but I have never once refused a good one. Slow II and Paralyze absolutely destroy an NM's auto attacks, which is huge on stuff like Albumen and Kyou with their en- status effects on melee hits. Addle II is fantastic for lowering magic damage by forcing longer casts and less damaging ones while also going back to the previous point on status effects. Distract III and Frazzle III are obviously amazing tools, and even Dia III is just a simple boost to any team.

All the debuffs are on top of great buffs that don't remove a buff slot from another job. A good RDM is a wonderful addition to pretty much any party, but it's not mandatory like a GEO.
[+]
 Cerberus.Boogs
user: rs1n
By Cerberus.Boogs 2018-01-17 12:54:59  
I did not read all twenty pages but none of the recent responses mention RDM as a DD. I have seen some well geared RDMs pump out some crazy numbers on Escha content. Everyone still seems to think that RDM is a mage job.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-01-17 12:58:00  
RDM isn't a dedicated DD, it "can" DD. Everyone knows this.

it's not particularly good, it offers nothing special. (they should really change enspells to offer more, like tp drain... )

I've had some great RDM dds in ambuscade, bonus I get haste 2 from having them there.

BRD can DD too. Geo can DD too. WHM can DD too.

I've told people to lockstyle on blu gear, and anon on rdm/nin and come dd. Scrubs can't tell the difference.
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2018-01-17 13:30:42  
RDM is somewhere between MNK and BLU as far as DPS is concerned. If you can benefit from any particular enhancing or enfeebling spell(not often) and you're in a buffed party(frequency depends on your group), engaging is a good use of your time. It's pretty unremarkable otherwise.

I DPS on RDM for Omen, Escha, and Ambuscade pretty frequently(always with LS), but I'd definitely be better off on another job
 Leviathan.Kaparu
By Leviathan.Kaparu 2018-01-17 13:36:11  
I actually don't think the "jack of all trades" title has ever been more accurate.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 19 20 21 ... 141 142 143