Tired Of Logging In To A Dead Server.

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Tired of logging in to a dead server.
Tired of logging in to a dead server.
First Page 2 3 4
 Cerberus.Kylos
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-09-25 18:08:07  
Cerberus is dead. I log in these days, see there's literally 100-300 players online MAX, so I log out. We shouldn't have to pay money to go to a server with players on it. I'm tired of this, I want a game where the content is harder than setting things up.

Yes, I somehow manage to set Vagary up each week, but that's only because I advertised it for months and was able to build the LS at a time we had players.

Now I log in, do a /sea all and think "ok, I'm not doing anything today". It's depressing. I want to do things, but what's the point when it will take hours of spamming /yell at the slim chance of getting the players we need? Cerberus has been reduced to a bunch of players who either a) keep to their own groups, or b) very casual and are only just good enough for Vagary, nevermind anything harder.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I'm not ragging on other servers or anything like that, I would just like Cerberus to have more people on it so I can set things up without feeling like I'm wasting my time.
[+]
By Quizzy 2016-09-25 18:22:01  
You just need to work your contacts more. You probably know all the people connected to all the reis, escha, unity groups, etc.
 Cerberus.Ephexis
user: Ephexis
By Cerberus.Ephexis 2016-09-25 18:32:06  
And yet, in the same playtimes I have no issues at all setting up pure pickups for whatever I feel like doing that day.

You're evidently doing things badly.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Lenus
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2016-09-25 18:32:25  
Lakshmi is alot more dead than what you mention about Cerb and I still manage to do stuff everyday. You just need better friends.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-09-25 18:41:38  
I guess that's my problem, many have come and gone and I used to have friends to do things with. Thought about starting up an event LS but after trying some statics, there was a lack of turn out after a while.

Also I have a busy schedule outside FFXI so I can't be on every day and weekends are difficult. I may have to enquire about joining a ls, if any are looking. I still think we could do with more players, and other servers too.
By Quizzy 2016-09-25 19:07:27  
Cerberus.Ephexis said: »
And yet, in the same playtimes I have no issues at all setting up pure pickups for whatever I feel like doing that day.

Really, I mean Ephexis is basically considered the biggest pile of ***on the server. A completely worthless human being, and like he said he is able to routinely con people into dealing with him.

You can make this work.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-09-25 19:23:58  
Quizzy said: »

Really, I mean Ephexis is basically considered the biggest pile of ***on the server. A completely worthless human being, and like he said he is able to routinely con people into dealing with him.

You can make this work.

I'm in the process of doing so. Next up is making my Scholar something people will want.
By Kodaijin 2016-09-25 20:05:38  
Or just transfer like the rest of us and be on a server thats not dead. Problem solved in 5 minutes
[+]
By Zubis 2016-09-25 20:29:13  
Just leave. Staying on a dead server is like someone refusing to leave a job that they hate. Embrace change.

According to FFXIAH Database Cerberus is beyond saving.

[+]
 Odin.Blizzy
サーバ: Odin
user: Blizzit
By Odin.Blizzy 2016-09-25 20:39:33  
If your gonna transfer do a little homework before you decide to go. Check out server shouts and look at the servers that is shouting to do the events you want to do. It is common knowledge that Odin and Asura are the most populated servers. Odin is overall very friendly and is the only server I personally have been that the JP/EN community get along pretty well.
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
サーバ: Sylph
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2016-09-25 21:11:51  
Sylph is the smallest server I guess, but it sure as hell doesn't seem dead to me. I don't use shouts at all though, and a lot of English speaking players are in the same handful of LSs or are otherwise on good terms and friendly. Most nights, I'd say there's around 20 people on in my LS, and I'll pearl anyone who isn't an ***.
[+]
By Quizzy 2016-09-25 21:23:36  
Some people just need to be in a crowd or they get lonely.

Compensation mechanism
[+]
 Cerberus.Nekdal
user: Nekdal
By Cerberus.Nekdal 2016-09-25 21:29:34  
Kylos been on the cerb since day one of merg either you have gil to pay toget wins or not is a pita, but yeah my only days off are tues/weds still need reij clears/armor same with esha's somedays get parties wuick somedays your shouting for hours... thought about paying to have me and my wife hop servers to im in 3 ls's 1 is all EU players that i played with from hades and 2 others bearly do anything during the nights or they at work im EST+1 and it sucks. And i always need help doing something amb gets boring fast, dyna want to do another relic but gets boring fast, now for aoenic yeah... probably not gonna see one anytime soon.
 Cerberus.Nekdal
user: Nekdal
By Cerberus.Nekdal 2016-09-25 21:31:30  
And the wife just finished her first relic that she really wanted all these year thanks for helping her with that loan quizzy.
By fonewear 2016-09-25 21:42:25  
I was tired of that also. So I did something... I quit FFXI.
[+]
By Quizzy 2016-09-25 21:45:10  
fonewear said: »
I was tired of that also. So I did something... I quit FFXI.

Yup, and you quit smoking, but you always keep a cig in your ear.

I quit in 2010, came back in 2015. I scanned the boards too =p
By fonewear 2016-09-25 21:46:16  
No I'm done for good this time I just started XIV. I'm not going to play 2 online games.
 Asura.Diavos
サーバ: Asura
user: Diavolo
By Asura.Diavos 2016-09-25 22:11:28  
This game and MMORPGs in general are more than just a circle of friends logging in to have fun, it's about taking part in a community with thousands of other players. Interacting solely with those in your circle of friends should be a choice, not an only option, but you'd never know it by reading posts like the ones in this thread.

I'd suggest you go yell at the dev team on the official forums for server merges, but good luck trying to make that case when it seems the majority of vocal players are happy with the game being where it's at. I moved from Cerberus to Asura this summer and while it's far and away a more active/interesting server during NA/EU hours, I do think it can also use a shot in the arm.
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2016-09-25 22:13:04  

You can make this work.
>2016
>still being this childish

Did you start playing this game when you were 2 years old to still be that childish 14 years into its life?
 Bismarck.Dekusutaa
サーバ: Bismarck
user: dekusutaa
By Bismarck.Dekusutaa 2016-09-25 22:14:43  
Server merges is like formatting your HDD, it's taking the cleaver to a problem. It also creates congestion problems and creates other problems that drives people away.

Some servers have a stable ecosystem/economy that will be disrupted by merges.

It's also not a panacea. Older MMOs like EQ tend to continue dying despite merges. If anything I'm surprised XI's playerbase, at least on my server, is fairly stable after the closure of PS2 service with peak JP primetime beaitn NA primetime by a large margin.

The Dev's advice of moving to a more populated server is sound. Maybe they should offer a coupon for people to do it so it's not so cynical in that people have to pay to change servers.

But I understand why they may be reticent doing so. Free server transfers tend to allow servers to export problems to other servers as well, with disliked/notorious players moving servers to scam elsewhere. At least with paid transfers there's some barrier to it.
 Asura.Calatilla
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2016-09-25 22:15:12  
Come to Asura where we'll berate you for asking for help while shouting to buy everything. We have cookies, but they're not free either.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2016-09-25 22:20:09  
Asura.Calatilla said: »
Come to Asura where we'll berate you for asking for help while shouting to sell expensive clears for T3s. We have scrubs who pay 20mil for us to kill stuff, and the pops aren't free either.

Fix'ed
[+]
By Quizzy 2016-09-25 22:28:19  
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »

You can make this work.
>2016
>still being this childish

Did you start playing this game when you were 2 years old to still be that childish 14 years into its life?

Oh the irony. You're pretty =)
 Asura.Diavos
user: Diavolo
By Asura.Diavos 2016-09-25 23:32:20  
Bismarck.Dekusutaa said: »
Server merges is like formatting your HDD, it's taking the cleaver to a problem. It also creates congestion problems and creates other problems that drives people away.

That's an exaggeration, to put it mildly, but I suppose if you look at it in very simplistic terms I can see why you might come to such a conclusion.

When I made the case for server merges on the OF the very same arguments were made against it, namely congestion and that some people would quit because of it. People quit because it's not happening, too. People quit because they found the game has become too easy. People quit because they gained 200 pounds and needed to adopt a healthier lifestyle... Point is, people will quit no matter what you do, but I strongly believe this game was better off when we had thousands of players online simultaneously on each server. More options for everyone, including the dev team - they might actually consider updating/adding open world content again if server numbers were causing problems for something like Ambuscade.

This is where you say "The game has changed and we can't host that many people on one server anymore." True, it can't host 8K+ online the way it used to, not with Ambu and Escha/Reis being the only major end game attractions, but the only way that would happen is if all 16 servers got merged into one and safe to say that even if the dev team went ahead with merges they wouldn't go that route. Players on those ghost towns we call servers like Cerberus, Sylph and Leviathan were arguing that merging with just one other server would make getting into Ambuscade an incredible hassle for them. Guess what? Odin and Asura have managed just fine, the latter hosting as many as 1,500 accounts online during peak hours, so it's safe to say that argument holds no water.

Some servers have a stable ecosystem/economy that will be disrupted by merges.

This sounds like the argument a career crafter might make after cornering the market and fearing he/she would have to share it. We've had two previous server merges and the economies on the affected servers adapted just fine. No reason to think they wouldn't do so today as well.

I've seen people complain about all sorts of problems like lack of crafting materials and lower level gear up for sale on their servers, all of which would get addressed nicely with server merges. More crafters, more buyers, more sellers and more linkshells, both social and end game.

The best part about larger server populations is that you have a greater variety of people to do stuff with, so you don't have to worry about your virtual life being over if you make a mistake and get kicked from your existing linkshell. It's easier to retain players when they have more options available and if those options don't come in the way of exciting, new events then at least they'll have the social aspect of the game keeping them around.

The Dev's advice of moving to a more populated server is sound. Maybe they should offer a coupon for people to do it so it's not so cynical in that people have to pay to change servers.

But I understand why they may be reticent doing so. Free server transfers tend to allow servers to export problems to other servers as well, with disliked/notorious players moving servers to scam elsewhere. At least with paid transfers there's some barrier to it.

The obvious benefit to pushing server transfers is that they make a sound profit with practically no effort required. You would be foolish to think it's an attempt at self-regulating the issue. It's not. There's no regulation whatsoever happening right now and handing out coupons for free transfers would just make things worse. Need proof? Look no further than Ambuscade. They weren't taking the wildly varying server sizes into consideration when that content was created and I'll drink a glass of my own urine if one of the devs/community reps can honestly say otherwise. The fact that some servers top out at 300 members at peak hours and others at 1,500 is a factor they'll have to take into consideration when creating new content, assuming that ever happens again. It would be a lot easier for them if the remaining servers were all roughly the same size.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-09-25 23:56:34  
I agree with Diavos. You put two of the smaller servers together and they might just be on par with other highly populated servers. Congestion isn't going to be an issue, and economy will only improve with more players to supply/demand. It would make the game better for everyone.

Paying to server transfer gives SE more reason not to merge servers. With less server transfers, they might consider closing some servers to save money in the long run. This many servers was acceptable six years ago when we had thousands of players per, but it's no longer the case. I believe with the way ambuscade and other things work, servers should have at least 500 players online at any given time. I can't see any benefit to having less than that.
By Afania 2016-09-26 00:05:35  
I believe the reason why SE wouldn't server merge isn't because of congestion or economy or anything like that, but because MMO server merge = giving people the impression that the games dying.

Or maybe because of other reasons that us players wouldn't know, only game dev knows.

Either way, regardless of what people say SE isn't merging.
 Asura.Thorva
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2016-09-26 00:16:59  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Cerberus has been reduced to a bunch of players who either a) keep to their own groups, or b) very casual and are only just good enough for Vagary, nevermind anything harder.

Doesn't matter the population of the server, the same will still hold true on the most populated of servers. I see people every day shouting for the exact same thing over and over for weeks on end. Some people are just happier doing easier content forever. Just need to find more people ready for higher content.
 Cerberus.Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2016-09-26 00:17:29  
Having dead servers gives more impression the game is dying than if we merged the lower populated servers together. More people running around = More active FFXI. We had 32 servers for a long time, and people said the game was going to die when they cut that in half.

I was on Hades, one of the lowest populated servers. Being merged into Cerberus wasn't what we wanted, but we knew it was necessary. Nowadays it's got to the point I would force money in to SEs hand to merge us again. Even if it's just one or two servers.
 Asura.Thorva
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2016-09-26 00:27:33  
I remember the 32>16 merge, I was on Diabolos and we went to Siren. I honestly don't think we needed that at the time. I felt the population of Diabolos was fine, when we merged to Siren there was conflict between the servers and a lot of people quit real fast and the server population leveled off to about how Diabolos was before the merger.

Two things I see SE doing, #1 why merge the servers if so many people are paying to move. Everyday I see new people in the shouts on Asura saying they just transferred. SE is making money off of it, even as little as 5-10 a day. #2 They might have seen more of the clash and cancel characters from the last merge and may feel as they will end up losing more people all over again. Why rattle the hornets nest kinda issue.

Another major issue is the amount of mule accounts that are in the game. SE marks them as active even if they are only lvl 1. SE sees 8k+ active acnts on Asura when in reality only about 300-400 are playing at any giving time. Most the time 2/3 the server is afk, and you will never have all the mules online at the same time.

I have been on several servers and I know what it is like to do a "/sea all" just to find only about 300 people are online and 2/3 of them are afk as well. Not fun, so I can sympathize, however like I said; SE isn't merging for a reason.
[+]
 Siren.Bloodlusty
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Bloodlusty 2016-09-26 00:27:56  
I was on siren since lainch and felt the same way, however switching to asura was the best thing I've done on the game in years. Just switch
[+]
First Page 2 3 4