Random Politics & Religion #11

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #11
Random Politics & Religion #11
First Page 2 ... 74 75 76
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-09-12 22:17:06  
Node 285

No idea why we didn't restart last week. Might as well now.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-09-12 22:24:38  
Because you're lazy. Duh.
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-09-12 22:25:31  
Actually, I forgot...I also forgot whose turn it was.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2016-09-13 06:15:42  
Quote:
[Breaking news update, published at 6:58 a.m. ET ]
Three people who were arrested Tuesday morning in Germany -- suspected of being members of ISIS -- are being investigated in connection with November's deadly terror attacks in Paris, German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said in Berlin.

An investigation seems to indicate that the same organization of smugglers that brought in the Paris attackers also brought in these three suspects, and their travel documents appear to have originated from the same forger, de Maiziere said.
[Original story, published at 5:57 a.m. ET]
German authorities say that they have arrested three young Syrian nationals who they claim are members of ISIS.
The German Federal Prosecutor's Office said in a statement that they apprehended two Syrian teenagers and one man in his 20s, identified as Mohamed A. They were arrested Tuesday morning in the northern state of Schleswig-Holstein by special police forces.
The prosecutor's office says that investigations suspect the three men of coming to Germany on the orders of ISIS in November 2015, to either commit an act of terror or to wait for further instructions. They were charged with being members of a foreign terrorist organization.
One of the accused, a 17-year-old that CNN is not naming, joined ISIS at the end of September 2015 in Raqqa, the terror organization's de facto capital in Syria. He is suspected of receiving training there, including the handling of weapons and explosives. In October 2015, the three accused pledged to go to Europe, the prosecutor's office alleges.
The three were given passports provided by ISIS and received thousands of US dollars as well as mobile phones. The three came to Germany in the middle of November 2015 via Turkey and Greece, the office said.

European officials told CNN they believe ISIS is ratcheting up its planning for international attacks to retaliate for losses in Syria, Iraq and Libya.
Security officials estimate that 30 to 40 suspected ISIS terrorists who helped support the November 13 Paris terror attacks are still at large, it emerged last week. It is not clear if the men apprehended in Germany were part of the planning of those attacks and thus part of this larger group.
In 2015 and 2016, several European countries have experienced atrocities linked to ISIS-affiliated terrorists and "lone wolf" actors who have pledged fealty to the jihadist group, including the Paris attacks which killed at least 128 killed in gunfire and blasts.
French Prime Minister Manuel Valls warned Sunday that France remains a target for terror and the country will suffer new attacks.
"The threat is maximal," Valls said in an interview with the Europe 1 radio station. "We have seen it again in the past few days, the past few hours, and even as we speak. Every day intelligence services, police and gendarmerie thwart attacks and dismantle Iraqi-Syrian networks."
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 08:27:18  
Obama will veto 9/11 lawsuit bill, face override vote

Quote:
Defying a seemingly united Congress and risking a public backlash, President Obama will veto legislation allowing relatives of the 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia in U.S. courts, the White House confirmed on Monday. Obama’s rejection of the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act will trigger what seems likely to be the first-ever successful congressional vote to override his veto.

“The president feels strongly about this, and I do anticipate that the president will veto the legislation when it’s presented to him,” White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters at his daily briefing.

The legislation never explicitly mentions Saudi Arabia, which was home to most of the 9/11 hijackers, but that American ally is widely understood to be the main target. The bill would change federal law to allow lawsuits against foreign states or officials for injuries, death or damages stemming from an act of international terrorism. Current law recognizes “sovereign immunity,” which protects governments and government officials from civil cases.

The White House has argued that eroding the legal principle of sovereign immunity could lead other countries to change their laws to permit their courts to try cases against the U.S. government or its diplomats and military personnel.

Personally, I gotta go with Big Daddy O on this one. I don't think people realize the can of worms that would be opened if we allow this and other countries follow suite.

I think people are viewing it in too narrow of a light. Everyone wants vindication for those murdered in the attacks and justice for their families, and that's understandable and even desirable. But going about it in this way breaks open a Pandora's Box of international problems.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-09-13 08:28:00  
Clinton, Trump and Stein answer 20 science policy questions

Very long read, but also interesting in my opinion.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 08:38:18  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »

It is an interesting read. I admittedly skimmed and did not get into details.

I find it interesting that (imo) Stein has both the best and most upsetting -- and at times contradictory -- answers from question-to-question.

The left's pandering to their own pseudoscience sect is truly infuriating.

As for The Donald, some of his answers are surprisingly moderate, while others are exactly the kind of right-leaning pseudoscientific and economy-before-ecology thought processes that form the basis for so many problems with the right's take on the environment and science.
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 08:40:24  
Ramyrez said: »
I admittedly skimmed and did not get into details.

That is to say, I didn't read every last word but tried to get a sense for each candidates position overall.

Additionally, what the hell, Gary. Can't even be assed to address this stuff? Then again, that's probably indicative of his thoughts on the matter in the first place. "*** it, I'll be dead before it's a problem."
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2016-09-13 09:59:19  
I don't think people realize the can of worms that would be opened....

FREE THE WORMS!!!

also boycott p&r 11 and it's stubborn refusal to give us back THE GODDAMNED EDIT BUTTON!
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-09-13 10:26:31  
Candlejack said: »
Obama will veto 9/11 lawsuit bill, face override vote

Quote:
Defying a seemingly united Congress and risking a public backlash, President Obama will veto legislation allowing relatives of the 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia in U.S. courts, the White House confirmed on Monday. Obama’s rejection of the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act will trigger what seems likely to be the first-ever successful congressional vote to override his veto.

“The president feels strongly about this, and I do anticipate that the president will veto the legislation when it’s presented to him,” White House press secretary Josh Earnest told reporters at his daily briefing.

The legislation never explicitly mentions Saudi Arabia, which was home to most of the 9/11 hijackers, but that American ally is widely understood to be the main target. The bill would change federal law to allow lawsuits against foreign states or officials for injuries, death or damages stemming from an act of international terrorism. Current law recognizes “sovereign immunity,” which protects governments and government officials from civil cases.

The White House has argued that eroding the legal principle of sovereign immunity could lead other countries to change their laws to permit their courts to try cases against the U.S. government or its diplomats and military personnel.

Personally, I gotta go with Big Daddy O on this one. I don't think people realize the can of worms that would be opened if we allow this and other countries follow suite.

I think people are viewing it in too narrow of a light. Everyone wants vindication for those murdered in the attacks and justice for their families, and that's understandable and even desirable. But going about it in this way breaks open a Pandora's Box of international problems.
Speaking of that override vote, it's funny. They can't even override him to repeal the ACA, and they somehow think they have a chance on this? Yeah, not happening.

It passed unanimously in the Senate. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this one was bipartisan.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 10:29:54  
Speaking of that override vote, it's funny. They can't even override him to repeal the ACA, and they somehow think they have a chance on this? Yeah, not happening.

I don't think you understand exactly how or why this is happening.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-09-13 10:47:15  
Something tells me he has me blocked, because "it passed unanimously in the Senate" isn't really open for interpretation as a Republicans vs. Obama issue.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 10:49:22  

I don't think you understand exactly how or why this is happening.
No, I do understand. It's hilarious the repubs are pinning their hopes on dems that know better for an override vote. Dems are good with two things: Foreign policy and social issues. This dabbles in both. They'll shut down the override attempt. Just watch.

Okay, no, you're really not grasping this situation.

Obama may find enough people to help him avoid an override because of the way it was passed, but this isn't a Republican-led/partisan thing. This is like Hillary (and others) voting to go to war after 9/11; some may think it's inappropriate or problematic, but the political repercussions of standing up against a "patriotic" thing make it really dangerous to do so. The difference is that Obama doesn't have any votes left to win, and he's straight-up doing what he thinks is right in the grand scheme.

But your assertion that this is a right-oriented/originating bill is flawed from the get-go.
[+]
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-09-13 11:19:55  
Obama doesn't have any votes left to win, and he's straight-up doing what he thinks is right in the grand scheme

This, right here, is the #1 strongest argument for term limits.
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-09-13 13:13:41  

Once all the personality politics and endless discussion on gaffe moments is removed, there's an incredibly stark contrast between who has fully realized policies and who just checking off the list of talking points. Really sad that list will never make it on a major news outlet.

Also, the Prince picture before the section on opioids. TOO SOON
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-09-13 13:19:56  
I don't believe Trump is capable of directly answering 20 questions on any subject, least of which science.
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 13:21:47  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »

Once all the personality politics and endless discussion on gaffe moments is removed, there's an incredibly stark contrast between who has fully realized policies and who just checking off the list of talking points. Really sad that list will never make it on a major news outlet.

The thing is, an article like this isn't going to change anyone's mind on anything. To people supporting Trump, Hillary's answers are just hyperverbal messages produced by a roomful of speech writers and consultants who know exactly what to say, and Trump is speaking in plain language about things he really believes.

And Jill Green may as well just be an anthropomorphized copy of the DNC platform, as far as I can tell.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-09-13 13:22:42  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
I don't believe Trump is capable of directly answering 20 questions on any subject, least of which science.

And yet he holds press conferences and Hillary doesn't. Hillary can't handle unscripted questions without lying her face off.
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 13:25:21  
And Jill Green may as well just be an anthropomorphized copy of the DNC platform, as far as I can tell.

Including the "PANDER TO NON-GMO/GLUTEN-FREE/ORGANVEGOHIPPIES" part.

Go get listeria from your organically grown sprouts while you keep not getting clean with your overpriced hemp shampoo!
[+]
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-09-13 13:27:06  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

And yet he holds press conferences and Hillary doesn't. Hillary can't handle unscripted questions without lying her face off.

I assume her not holding press conferences while he does is some version of football's prevent defense. Play it super-conservative (ironnnnny) while letting your opponent take the gambles and make the mistakes.

It doesn't really work in football, either.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 13:29:28  

For what it's worth, you have to admit it's a lot easier for him with a group of devoted followers for whom his every gaffe is a strength, whereas she pretty much has only her calculated, researched, thinktank-processed policies to guide her.

...say what you will about her lack of personality, because I'll probably agree with you, but I still say she's the better candidate for leading the country between the two of them, though as a dinner guest she's probably lacking.

...then again, as a dinner guest, at least she wouldn't balk at touching food.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 13:30:58  
Drama Torama said: »

It works well enough in hockey if you've got a skilled team doing it in the first place.

Ask the circa-turn-of-the-century (is it okay to start using that phrase now?) NJ Devils.
 Shiva.Viciousss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-09-13 13:31:04  
Drama Torama said: »

I assume her not holding press conferences while he does is some version of football's prevent defense. Play it super-conservative (ironnnnny) while letting your opponent take the gambles and make the mistakes.

It works when the QB sucks.
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2016-09-13 13:33:34  
The thing is, an article like this isn't going to change anyone's mind on anything. To people supporting Trump, Hillary's answers are just hyperverbal messages produced by a roomful of speech writers and consultants who know exactly what to say, and Trump is speaking in plain language about things he really believes.

Don't think I'd want to appeal to the TL;DR crowd anyway.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-09-13 13:36:06  

Meanwhile, Johnson faked a stomachache to skip the test.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 13:38:21  
Don't think I'd want to appeal to the TL;DR crowd anyway.

Given the (relative) closeness of the polls, I'd say the jury's still out on whether or not it will be effective come E-day.

Let's not kid ourselves. Trump's doing as well as he is for a reason, and it isn't his firm grasp of people, diplomacy, critical thinking, or well-defined policies.
By Ramyrez 2016-09-13 13:39:24  
Meanwhile, Johnson faked a stomachache to skip the test.

A lot of his answers would (most likely) be similar to Trump's only with even less government spending, more "let the market decide everything."
First Page 2 ... 74 75 76