Random Politics & Religion #06

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #06
Random Politics & Religion #06
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-05-31 10:28:02  
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Even with all of our faults, Texas > Denmark by a longshot.
Ahhhh the old we are terrible but it's ok because someone else is worse than us argument! Classic...

It was more of a "people who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones" argument.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-05-31 10:39:39  
Soooooo..... How about that gorilla in Ohio?
[+]
By fonewear 2016-05-31 10:39:49  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
Lakshmi.Flavin said: »
Even with all of our faults, Texas > Denmark by a longshot.
Ahhhh the old we are terrible but it's ok because someone else is worse than us argument! Classic...

It was more of a "people who live in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones" argument.

I live in a stone house and throw glass rocks !
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-05-31 10:48:35  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »

Heard too many stories lately with zoo animals getting killed to protect people. They really need to idiot-proof those enclosures.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-05-31 10:51:22  

Heard too many stories lately with zoo animals getting killed to protect people. They really need to idiot-proof those enclosures.
They really should idiot-proof the White House first, before any zoos.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-05-31 11:20:09  

They really should idiot-proof the White House first, before any zoos.

Better yet, turn the White House into a zoo (well, more than it already is).

Giraffe 2016
"He'll stick his neck out for you."
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2016-05-31 11:20:33  

I think we have too many humans and not enough gorillas, should've shot the kid to protect the monkey.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-05-31 16:21:30  
He was neither political nor religious.
[+]
By fonewear 2016-05-31 16:33:03  
Garuda.Chanti said: »

That sounds like the Pope !
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-05-31 16:35:44  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Are you getting verklempt? Should we talk amongst ourselves?
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-05-31 17:31:18  
DOJ appeals order forcing its lawyers to take ethics classes
The Hill

Quote:
The Department of Justice (DOJ) is appealing a court order from a federal judge in Texas forcing the department's lawyers to take ethics classes.

In its appeal filed Tuesday, the department said U.S. District Court Judge Andrew Hanen "exceeded the scope of a court's inherent power."

Hanen alleged that government lawyers made misrepresentations in a case over President Obama's executive actions on immigration. He ordered the lawyers to take a three-hour ethics course every year for the next five years.

The case involves a challenge from Texas and 25 other states against the president’s executive actions that created the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans initiative and expanded the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals programs. The programs defer deportations for many immigrants.

Hanen put the programs on hold in February 2015 as the legal challenge plays out. The judge also ordered the department to turn over a list of illegal immigrants who received three-year extensions in late 2014 and early 2015.

In the 28-page order that quoted films "Bridge of Spies" and "Miracle on 34th Street,” Hanen said he relied on the attorneys' promises that the government would not issue extensions until Feb. 18, after the judge planned to release a temporary injunction blocking the immigration programs on Feb. 16.

“If plaintiffs’ counsel had known that the government was surreptitiously acting, the plaintiff states could have, and would have according to their representations, sought a temporary restraining order pursuant to federal rule of civil procedure much earlier in the process,” he said.

In a statement, Justice Department spokesman Patrick Rodenbush said the appeal argues that Hanen’s findings that government attorneys acted in bad faith is not supported by the evidence and the court's order intrudes on core executive branch functions.

He said the agency is also arguing that turning over immigration records would undermine trust in the Department of Homeland Security’s ability to maintain the confidentiality of personal information, “which is essential to its mission.”

“The department emphatically disagrees with the sanctions orders and will seek review of this matter in the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals," he said.

In its court filings, the DOJ claims it will cost the agency anywhere from $959,587 to $1.6 million in the first year to comply with the ethics order.

The president’s immigration actions are currently before the Supreme Court. A decision is due in June.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2016-06-01 03:19:34  
appeals court reverses decision on phone location info.

To me, terrifying. Basically gives the government the ability to track èverywhere you go at any time for whatever reason with no need for approval from a judge.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-06-02 21:11:36  
Pentagon: Investigation of the Feb 2100 Special OPs night raid that resulted in the killing of 7 civilians deemed it "appropriate use of force"
Honor killings ha? Utterly disgusting.
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-06-02 21:34:05  
Maybe next time post the actual Pentagon report instead of some guy's blog.
 Ragnarok.Zeig
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2016-06-02 21:54:12  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
i know there was a previous discussion about sultan erdogan, but when i see stuff like this go without any condemnation from any other world leader. am i the only one who feels like this guy isn't getting the credit he deserves for how dangerous he really is?
It's one the things that make me so *** mad!
Our governments are so annoyingly hypocritical..
Oh we need to remove Gheddafi and al-Assad cause they're so oppressive!
Really? Then why are we cool with Erdogan or al-Sisi? Or my favourite being so bff with the al-Saud family, even selling them the bombs they use to nuke the ***out of Yemen.
No, we only care about which ones cooperate with us and which don't, we don't give a *** about their people..

I *** hate Erdogan and it's insane we're even letting him into EU disregarding the lack of some basic freedoms in Turkey which are a requirement to be a part of it.

Only last month the guy fired Davutoglu cause he wasn't obedient enough, I don't trust this person one bit, he's a warmonger and dangerous.
Well governments make alliances based on interest, nothing new.
One big reason behind the Saudi-US "good" relationship
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-06-03 03:29:53  
Bismarck.Leneth said: »
I remember 2011 when Turkey wanted to be the bridge of Europe to Middle East.
He has isolated his country on many fronts now, pretty much only holding the EU hostage by now.
On the 2nd June, the german parliament will declare the killing on the Armenians as genocid. Usually turkey punishes such countries. It will be interesting to see how Erdogan reacts to it in this situation.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/02/germany-braces-for-turkish-backlash-as-it-votes-to-recognise-armenian-genocide

yep.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-03 07:58:59  

To me, terrifying. Basically gives the government the ability to track èverywhere you go at any time for whatever reason with no need for approval from a judge.

Here's the thing:

It'd be a lot more scary if people didn't basically already sign away this freedom on Facebook every day anyhow. I'm not saying you personally shouldn't be upset about it. But I am saying anyone upset about it needs to take a long, hard look at their use of technology and their place in the modern world.

It's one of those things that seems like a huge, freaky-outy situation...until you actually put it in context and realize you already gave this right to a dozen private companies six-seven ago and really the government is just going along with things.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-03 08:02:27  
Wish I could chime in more on the goings-on with the EU but sadly I only have so much time these days and I'm not read up enough on the situations to really partake. =\
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-03 08:11:28  
Ramyrez said: »

Here's the thing:

It'd be a lot more scary if people didn't basically already sign away this freedom on Facebook every day anyhow. I'm not saying you personally shouldn't be upset about it. But I am saying anyone upset about it needs to take a long, hard look at their use of technology and their place in the modern world.

It's one of those things that seems like a huge, freaky-outy situation...until you actually put it in context and realize you already gave this right to a dozen private companies six-seven ago and really the government is just going along with things.
I agree to a point.

I'm using myself as an example: I don't use Facebook. I have a Facebook account, but it's been since 2008 when I last logged on. And even then, the limit of my personal information released to the public is that I exist. I didn't say where I live, where I go to work/school/whatever. All anyone knows about me is that I existed as far back as 2008.

What the appellate courts decided is that location tracking (based by cell phone usage) is what isn't protected by the 4th Amendment. While privacy rights being released by the number of Americans who uses Facebook and other social media outlets is a valid argument, it doesn't cover everyone. So, location logs shouldn't be released based by the third-party doctrine. At least, that's my opinion.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-03 08:15:40  

Here's the thing:

I agree to a point.

I'm using myself as an example: I don't use Facebook. I have a Facebook account, but it's been since 2008 when I last logged on. And even then, the limit of my personal information released to the public is that I exist. I didn't say where I live, where I go to work/school/whatever. All anyone knows about me is that I existed as far back as 2008.

What the appellate courts decided is that location tracking (based by cell phone usage) is what isn't protected by the 4th Amendment. While privacy rights being released by the number of Americans who uses Facebook and other social media outlets is a valid argument, it doesn't cover everyone. So, location logs shouldn't be released based by the third-party doctrine. At least, that's my opinion.

Yes, well. I was just using Facebook as an example. It applies to literally any app or service you use that uses location tracking on your phone/tablet/etc.

I'm not saying it applies to literally every last person; what I'm saying is that I'm sure a lot of people inclined to get up in arms about this need to, and I use this quote because it's Friday, "check themselves before the wreck themselves."

That is to say, if you're complaining about this on Facebook or Twitter, Twitface, Linkbook, or whatever the kids use nowadays...you're just not getting it. And I'm sure those people are out there in droves.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-03 08:18:17  
I would make a bigger fuss, but I really have nothing to hide.

At least, nothing to hide that would involve police involvement. I have a lot to hide publicly though.

Like my prototype Lizardman vaccine. For, you know, those shape-shifting Lizardmen out there.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-03 08:21:26  
Like my prototype Lizardman vaccine. For, you know, those shape-shifting Lizardmen out there.

YOUR VACCINES CANNOT SAVE YOU.

They will, however, make you an ideal host given their ability to help keep you free of pestilence. And even the lizards know vaccines do not cause autism.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-06-03 08:25:04  
Reminder of our inevitable fall to the lizards aside:

I would make a bigger fuss, but I really have nothing to hide.

At least, nothing to hide that would involve police involvement.

Generally tends to be my feelings. I guess it just comes down to what side of paranoia you fall on: are you more worried the government frames you or are you more worried you or someone you love becomes a victim of a crime and this kind of thing would help catch/prevent that?

Quote:
I have a lot to hide publicly though.

It's 2016, nobody cares about your bizarre "interests" as long as they're done with consenting adults.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-03 08:26:36  
That's not a lizard, that's a lamia!
By Ramyrez 2016-06-03 08:28:09  

YOUNG MASTER HENRY IS GOING THROUGH A PHASE.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-03 08:28:52  
are you more worried the government frames you or are you more worried you or someone you love becomes a victim of a crime and this kind of thing would help catch/prevent that?
It's not the government you really should worry about.

At least they are governed by their own rules/regulations/laws. It's the public that flaunts those rules/regulations/laws that you should worry about.

It's 2016, nobody cares about your bizarre "interests" as long as they're done with consenting adults.
Please, I'm not into chains and leather like you!
By Ramyrez 2016-06-03 08:29:49  
(It's from one of the more amusing Tumblrs out there, imo. Things That Cannot Save You, I know you'll be shocked, but it's Lovecraftian-themed and just random stupid images paired with my brand of humor. I wish I thought of it, as it's the kind of thing I'm apt to do myself.)
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-03 08:31:10  

YOUNG MASTER HENRY IS GOING THROUGH A PHASE.
Lamia are not lizards!

Get your mythical biology together man!

/incoming title change to Random Politics, Religion, and Mythical Creatures.
By Ramyrez 2016-06-03 08:31:52  
Please, I'm not into chains and leather like you!

Again. It's 2016. That ***is mainstream now.

Thank the world's most famous shitty fanfic for that.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-06-03 08:33:36  
Thank the world's most famous shitty fanfic for that.
Catwomen?
First Page 2 3 ... 34 35 36