users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Arcade » Recommend a Game
Recommend a Game
First Page 2
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-01-31 14:04:29  
Idea for this thread is to have a place where people can pop in an recommend a game for other people to check out. My thoughts when making this topic were to include games that are maybe lesser known titles or indie games, maybe stuff still in early access, or a game that may be easy to pass over, etc. I don't think we really need to have people recommending things like Chrono Trigger for the millionth time, just as an example.

There are a butt ton of games out there and with so many of them not getting any sort of advertising or demo periods it can be really hard to gauge if a game is worth picking up, so maybe this will help with that some too.

To kick it off, I am going to lame it out and re-post a quick run down of a game I recently snatched up on sale in the Humble Store.

Grumpy Cat said: »
The Long Dark.

Premise is basically that your plane crashes in snowy cold crappy northern Canada. You gotta look for Food/Water/Shelter and depending on the difficulty fighting off wild animals.

The Long Dark definitely fits as the first time I tried, I found a shelter and started sleeping. My fire went out and I woke up prematurely because I was too cold to sleep(I saw there were 8 hours of darkness left, so chose 8 hours but woke up 4 hours in). At that point it was pitch black, I could not find my way around the house I was in and ended up restarting once I developed hypothermia.

Map plunks you down in a random spot each time and different lootable spots have loot tables to mix things up. Wolves are huge a-holes, so I recommended playing the lower difficulty to get a feel as the wolves won't attack unless provoked.

Overall a pretty snazzy game, would recommend to anyone who wants to try out a survival style game without zombies and without asshat players being bandits and taking all your stuff.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-01-31 15:18:23  
Whatever you do, don't you ever play this game called Final Fantasy XI. Nothing but elitist hacks and *** play that game.

Trust me, whatever you do, stay away from that game because once it sucks you in, you can never leave!
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
サーバ: Sylph
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-31 15:29:02  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Whatever you do, don't you ever play this game called Final Fantasy XI. Nothing but elitist hacks and *** play that game.

Trust me, whatever you do, stay away from that game because once it sucks you in, you can never leave!

[+]

Post deleted by User.
By SpaceAnomaly 2016-01-31 15:47:18  
SNES: Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Live a Live (translation)
Bahamut Lagoon (translation)

PS1: Lunar Silver Star Story, Saiyuki: The Journey West, Xenogears, Suikoden 1&2, Vandal Hearts

PSP: Hexyz Force, Final Fantasy Tactics WoTL (Slowdown patch fix), Jeanne D'arc

3DS/DS: Pokemon Conquest, Stella Glow, Final Fantasy Theatrythm: Curtain Call, Fantasy Life, The World Ends with You

Xbox 360: Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Culdcept Saga

Ps2: Dark Cloud 2, Shadow Hearts series, Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, Persona 4

PS4: Divinity: Original Sin, Dying Light, Dragon Quest Warriors, Natural Doctrine (Either love or hate)

Wii U: Xenoblade Chronicles X, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors

RPG's are my jam as you can no doubt see. I have tons and tons of recommendations but I'm too lazy to type them out.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-01-31 16:00:15  
SNES Lufia and Lufia 2.

PC Killing Floor 2 beta.
[+]
 Sylph.Kuwoobie
user: Kuwoobie
By Sylph.Kuwoobie 2016-01-31 16:08:29  
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness and all subsequent Disgaea titles, all of which are being added to Steam soon.

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Artemicion 2016-01-31 17:14:36  
The youtube channel Extra Credits have an extensive list of games that are quite interesting or unique in the manner in which they present themselves, or the topic matter put within their games. They may not necessarily be good games, but ones that definitely hold their own in breaking the mold in the industry's modus operandi.

Here's the list
and the newest one that didn't make the playlist yet.

If you're hungry for more after that, be sure to also check out the games featured in the James Recommends Playlist.
He's one of the founders of the channel and has a passion for design within the gaming industry which gives a nice sense of perspective and scope for new and interesting things that so often go overlooked.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-01-31 17:30:10  
Some PC games, all of these are avaliable on steam:

UNDERTALE
Transistor
Bastion
Child of Light
Ys: Origin
Lovely planet
Contrast
Fez
Kingdom
[+]
 Asura.Regicide
user: voiceless
By Asura.Regicide 2016-01-31 18:25:12  
Your text to link here...

Breath of fire 3 Coming To vita for 10 dollars check it out its a masterpiece The game sprites still ahead of its time. The main character is a silent protagonist Character Growth is well done here. In the other hand If you want a Dark Classical JRPG Check out it Breath of fire 2 in the wii system the story is a bit like the berserk manga.

Breath of fire 2 review
By Grumpy Cat 2016-01-31 18:34:24  
I would also recommend to anyone who happens to be a Ghostbusters fan "Ghostbusters: The Video Game".

The game put you in control of a new member of the Ghostbuster team, you are super generic and never talk so you don't have to worry about some character they added ruining it (looking at you Ghostbusters Extreme).

You revisit a bunch of areas from the two movies, with new ghosts having shown up. You get to unravel another creepy plot to resurrect some evil baddies, and you even get to pop into hell for a bit.

The game puts a lot of attention to detail, and the way the proton beams shoot is so amazing. It really makes you feel like you are a Ghostbuster. Throw in the voice acting being done by the Ghostbusters themselves and you have yourself an ultimate fan experience.

This game was super easy to miss when it came out because it was around the same time as the buttmess Sanctum of Slime game. The first time I found a copy was in a bargain bin. It is now available on Steam, I actually got it on PC earlier today in a Humble sale for under $3.
By Draylo 2016-01-31 19:36:40  

[-]
[+]
 Siren.Dilandu
サーバ: Siren
user: Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2016-01-31 21:37:38  
PC
Touhou Wandering Souls - Good 2D action game and it's free. Download link in the trailer video.

Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky FC and SC - JRPG with a good story. Buy on Steam or GoG

Labyrinth of Touhou 2 (Need to run game with Japanese unicode or use applocale/Ntleas) - If you like Etrian Odyssey series, this game is similar dungeon crawler with Touhou characters. It's not a direct ripoff of Etrian but has similar things like FOE which respawns over time. Third person view instead of first person. I like Etrian Odyssey series but this game does everything better except the story. The combat system is much better with turn based ATB and being able to switch out to 8 other reserve characters. translation https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,15439.0.html

The Legend of Sword and Fairy (Need to run game with Chinese unicode) - Chinese RPG with a good story. This is the equivalent of Final Fantasy series for the Chinese with 6 games released so far. translation https://sites.google.com/site/fairyswordinfo/download It's on Steam Greenlight. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=343475453

PS2
Phantasy Star Generation 2 remake (Would only recommend this game, if you have previously played it on the Genesis or don't mind old school RPG with lots of grinding because this game is even harder than the original.) - There are a few minor errors that you may not even notice which will be fixed in the next update. It's playable in English with PCSX2. beta translation http://www.pscave.com/psg2/download/

Sega Saturn
Shining Force III Scenario 1,2,3, and Premium Disc - Ongoing project but they are all playable in English. translation http://sf3trans.shiningforcecentral.com/
Dragon Force II - translation http://www.verve-fanworks.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1034.0

If you need any help with patching a game or using a emulator etc, send me a PM.
 Asura.Tot
By Asura.Tot 2016-01-31 22:46:41  
The last good game i played was Dark Souls many months ago

Games that i had no idea about and turned out pretty good after playing:

Dust: An Elysian Tail

So Many ME

How to Survive: Storm Warning Edition

Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light

and Alan Wake, though this might be a pretty known title
By Yatenkou 2016-02-01 09:38:00  
SNES: Starfox

PS1: Crash Bandicoot, Test Drive Off Road. Namco Museum

3DS/DS: Any Pokemon game, Final Fantasy Explorers, Ridge Racer

Xbox 360: Hawx, Anything from the Halo franchise especially Reach, Racing Games in general

Ps2: Ace Combat 4/5, The first 2 battlefront games. Anything from the Jak and Daxter Franchise
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-02-01 10:12:53  
Draylo said: »
Yes, it's worth it.
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2016-02-01 11:12:05  
PS2-
Tales of Destiny 1&2. The graphics may suck, and Meredy from 2 is kinda annoying, but the stories are great. I'm a huge Tales fan, though, so YMMV.

Dragon Quest 7&8. All the DQ for everyone to love. If you're like me, and old and played 1-4 on the original NES, you'll probably like these.

VALKYRIE PROFILE. OMG, this game. Getting the best ending will require a strategy guide or some serious dumb luck, but this is an awesome addition to anyone's JRPG arsenal. They redid this one for PSP, with AMV cutscenes. This is a particular favorite of mine, partly due to awesome spell incantations.

Atelier Iris (and parts 2&3). Do you like making stuff? Then you'll like this. IMO, the first game is far better than the later incarnations.

Ar tonelico (and part 2). Kiiiiinda pervy in spots (okay, a LOT pervy in spots) it will at least make you laugh. Another jrpg (...I like them!) with an interesting combat system. Part 2 introduced the ability to use two Reyvatiels in combat for combined song magic, which I thought was awesome. Part one has Ayatane, I'm not sure that combined magic wins out over his awesomeness.

Tales of the Abyss- Yep, more Tales from Seeks. Two, no.. Three words. JADE *** CURTISS. The story is okay, not bad in fact, but awesome characters (coughJadecough) like Tear, some of your enemies (no spoilers here!) and the usual overlimits make this one of my favorites.

Xbox360
Lost Odyssey- The story of this is really, really good, I think. Plus the opening CS is absolutely amazing. Some of the characters suck, but it's an RPG, that always happens.

Tales of Vesperia. Yeah, you saw this coming. The protagonist of this game is probably one of the best and most realistic in jrpg history. Yuri Lowell is just that cool. Also, "Bla bla bla, TIDAL WAVE!!"

Old Crap, handheld, stuff I forgot

Tales of Phantasia- ..yeah, more Tales. This was originally on GBA, I think. Surprisingly deep for an older game, I don't think you'd regret a try.

Oh hell forgot PS2's (and Dreamcast) Lunar Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue. (Forgive me, I'm doing this on phone.) Hilariously funny and cute JRPGs that I adore... NALL AND RUBY! The PSP version of SSS is cheatmode once you get the black dragon spell...

PSP's Hexys Force. More jrpg, mainly because that's my favorite genre. It'll take you a few playthroughs to complete, but unlike some, it's not really a chore.

Really Freaking old game- Shining Force 1&2. Somewhat RPG, somewhat strategy...one of these kept me so engaged I played it straight through, no sleep.

Dragon Quest IX. The fun begins AFTER you beat the game, but this one isn't for those who dislike grinding for gear. Caveat: DLC for this is no longer available, but you could get lucky and find a GameStop copy with it already on your system. Only one save file, so use an editor or a second DS to preserve your dlc for a new play through.

There's more, I know, but my thumb hurts and I need more coffee.
By Jetackuu 2016-02-01 11:14:38  
SpaceAnomaly said: »
Shadow Hearts series
^
By Grumpy Cat 2016-02-01 11:21:29  
Bahamut.Seekerstar said: »
VALKYRIE PROFILE. OMG, this game. Getting the best ending will require a strategy guide or some serious dumb luck, but this is an awesome addition to anyone's JRPG arsenal. They redid this one for PSP, with AMV cutscenes. This is a particular favorite of mine, partly due to awesome spell incantations.

Check out the Indivisible demo, might be something enjoyable for you. The demo has a lot of secret areas and hidden thing, skill jumps etc already.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/indivisible-rpg-from-the-creators-of-skullgirls#/
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bahamut.Seekerstar
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Seekerstar 2016-02-01 11:31:21  
Grumpy Cat said: »

Check out the Indivisible demo, might be something enjoyable for you. The demo has a lot of secret areas and hidden thing, skill jumps etc already.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/indivisible-rpg-from-the-creators-of-skullgirls#/

That looks pretty interesting indeed! I hope it happens! Thanks :)
By SpaceAnomaly 2016-02-03 18:06:20  
Grand Knights History (translation)

Pretty fun RPG. Its also really pretty with everything looking like its hand drawn. Shame they canceled the releases outside of Japan.
 Lakshmi.Lenus
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Lenus
By Lakshmi.Lenus 2016-02-03 18:17:24  
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - PC/PS3/Xbox
 Asura.Regicide
user: voiceless
By Asura.Regicide 2016-02-03 18:43:25  
Breath of fire 2 is by far the Creepiest JRPG you would ever Play. Hell the intro will Freak you out. The game has 3 Endings all the endings will Freak you out even the so called Good ending. I suggest You play it. Just buy the wii version then download the retranslated Version .

Skip to 1:05 for the intro
[+]
By Bloodrose 2016-02-03 19:18:50  
I recommend: Hop Scotch.

You hop, then you drink.

Edit: in all seriousness, I love non-main stream games. Though some have some pretty big followings now.

The Grandia series has more than a few good games... though I wasn't really satisfied with the way Grandia Extreme turned out.

Trinity Universe is awesome, as are the HyperDimensionNeptunia games.
 Siren.Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2016-02-04 11:03:09  
PS2-
Tales of Destiny 1&2. The graphics may suck, and Meredy from 2 is kinda annoying, but the stories are great. I'm a huge Tales fan, though, so YMMV.

You may already know this but Tales of Destiny 2 on the PS1 is Tales of Eternia. Tales of Destiny 2 on the PS2 is the real sequel, although it probably will never be fully translated in English. Also there is Tales of Destiny Director's Cut on the PS2 which I would love to play if they ever finish the translation.

Tales of Phantasia- ..yeah, more Tales. This was originally on GBA, I think. Surprisingly deep for an older game, I don't think you'd regret a try.

Tales of Phantasia was originally on the SNES but the English version was only released for the GBA. PS1 is the best version out of the 3. Link to differences and the translation patch for the PS1. http://www.tales-cless.org/?page=tales

Speaking of Tales of games, I was thinking of buying Tales of Symphonia for the PC until I looked at the reviews. Nothing but negative comments for the PC port. Bamco really screwed up the port. No wonder this game was free with the preorder for Tales of Zestiria.

Oh hell forgot PS2's (and Dreamcast) Lunar Silver Star Story and Eternal Blue. (Forgive me, I'm doing this on phone.) Hilariously funny and cute JRPGs that I adore... NALL AND RUBY! The PSP version of SSS is cheatmode once you get the black dragon spell...

I didn't like Lunar Silver Star Harmony but I still played through the entire game. My favorite version is the Sega CD.

Changes I didn't like for LSSH:
The prologue was unnecessary and gives a spoiler to the game.
No world map traveling.
Dungeons are shorter.
Adding unnecessary limit break like moves.
Items drops are way too common from enemies. I never had to buy a single MP restore item from the shop.

Back on topic, forgot to mention Final Fantasy Legend of Balance which is a fan made FF game. If you like the 16 bit old style SNES FF games, then this is definitely worth checking out. The graphics are very similar to FF4 and the game uses ATB combat. A lot of the character classes seem to be from FF11 or 14. some examples: Sam has hasso which increases attack speed but lowers defense. Bard has paeon which auto regens HP. Smn has Fenrir debuffs with howling moon.

download link to game - http://rpgmaker.net/games/7777/?p=2#posts
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-02-04 11:12:33  
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is always good for one playthrough.

Basically a beat it/forget it game.
 Bismarck.Misao
サーバ: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2016-02-04 11:18:53  

also available for steam.

turn based-paramilitary-jrpg-shooter.
awesome art, little thought, but pretty fun and decent story.
[+]
 Siren.Dilandu
By Siren.Dilandu 2016-02-04 12:01:30  
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is always good for one playthrough.

Basically a beat it/forget it game.

The game sucked but the music was excellent. I saw a fan made remake of FFMQ and it looked hideous. Usually, I don't complain about graphics but damn... If the game was worth replaying, I would have still tried it out.

Valkyria Chronicles is a good game, although it had serious balance issue with scouts being way too good. To get S Rank on missions, it's a must to use Alicia/scout. You can usually find the game on sale for $4-5 on Steam which is a steal.
[+]
First Page 2