New Items
users online
フォーラム » Windower » Support » ffxi not working with windower
ffxi not working with windower
 Carbuncle.Galmaximas
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
By Carbuncle.Galmaximas 2015-09-13 12:22:20  
ok so this has been on going for weeks pretty annoying to say the least ffxi is not working when i attempt to run it through windower i have tried all sorts of things to no avail.ffxi runs fine from normal pol or if i run it through ashita it boots up fine windower seems to be the only exception i am using a hp pravilion and running windows 10 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thx.
 Siren.Bruno
サーバ: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2015-09-13 13:46:15  
there's a bug in some instances with Windows 8 that if you ran it with Windower, then tried to run it with vanilla POL anytime after that, you would be unable to run it with Windower again from thereon. When does it crash? It would boot up PlayOnline with Windower, but as soon as FFXI opens after hitting "Play" then it would crash. Only solution was to reformat.

Not sure if this is the case with 10.
 Bismarck.Phaded
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2015-09-13 13:58:04  
Not enough info but my guess is its Win10. If you upgraded instead of doing a fresh install then its definitely Win10 related (upgrading an OS usually ends up with registry/permission problems among other things). You'll have to backup your data then rerun the upgrade tool, do a full install (not upgrade) of Win10 and then reinstall FFXI/Windower. That is the only way to fix that issue.
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2015-09-13 14:02:35  
The upgrade tool might also give you the option to save the user data (to a Windows.Old folder), the Win7/8 installers do it not sure about Win10.
 Carbuncle.Galmaximas
By Carbuncle.Galmaximas 2015-09-13 15:44:29  
it crashes at the accept/decline portion
 Bismarck.Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2015-09-13 15:48:44  
Reinstalling Win10 is the only solution, it was a very common fix for Win8 (even when vanilla POL/Ashita ran fine). I had ran into the same problem when I upgraded one of my machines from Win7 to Win10 instead of wiping the OS drive and starting fresh. Did you update your old OS to Win10 or fresh install it?
 Fenrir.Divinian
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2015-09-13 15:54:31  
Carbuncle.Galmaximas said: »
it crashes at the accept/decline portion
At the blue "Accept/Decline Screen" or before it actually loads up (meaning after you hit "Play" in playonline)?

If you never get to see the Accept/Decline option, then Bruno (above) is most-likely correct:

Siren.Bruno said: »
there's a bug in some instances with Windows 8 that if you ran it with Windower, then tried to run it with vanilla POL anytime after that, you would be unable to run it with Windower again from thereon. When does it crash? It would boot up PlayOnline with Windower, but as soon as FFXI opens after hitting "Play" then it would crash. Only solution was to reformat.

Not sure if this is the case with 10.

Only change I would make to what Bruno said is that a person can actually boot up vanilla if they have win8 and then boot up windower. I had to do it myself for the addon scenario missions to get past some CS's. However, if you crash due to a direct drive (?) error, it does seem that booting up vanilla does something irreversible (at least for now) and the only option is a reformat.

Hope you get it resolved.
 Carbuncle.Galmaximas
By Carbuncle.Galmaximas 2015-09-13 16:19:20  
Bismarck.Phaded said: »
Reinstalling Win10 is the only solution, it was a very common fix for Win8 (even when vanilla POL/Ashita ran fine). I had ran into the same problem when I upgraded one of my machines from Win7 to Win10 instead of wiping the OS drive and starting fresh. Did you update your old OS to Win10 or fresh install it?

yeah I believe i just updated from 8 to 10
By Jetackuu 2015-09-14 08:12:44  
Random question, but have you rebooted since it started?
By Jetackuu 2015-09-14 08:13:37  

Record your product activation key somewhere if you decide to do a fresh install.
VIP
By Iryoku 2015-09-14 16:25:50  
Jetackuu said: »

Record your product activation key somewhere if you decide to do a fresh install.

If you use the free upgrade from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to Windows 10, then you get a generic product key, and you should not enter a key when you reinstall. The first time the upgrade is completed, the computer's hardware ID is permanently marked as a legal Windows 10 device on Microsoft's activation servers, and it will activate automatically as long as you don't enter a product key.
[+]
 Asura.Blittzjr
サーバ: Asura
user: tripletee
By Asura.Blittzjr 2015-09-14 17:18:21  
this happened to me like 2 weeks ago, I had to restore CPU to a previous date.
By Jetackuu 2015-09-15 09:49:12  
Iryoku said: »
Jetackuu said: »

If you use the free upgrade from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to Windows 10, then you get a generic product key, and you should not enter a key when you reinstall. The first time the upgrade is completed, the computer's hardware ID is permanently marked as a legal Windows 10 device on Microsoft's activation servers, and it will activate automatically as long as you don't enter a product key.

Interesting, not sure if I like that. Also, I've read otherwise, but ok.
 Carbuncle.Galmaximas
By Carbuncle.Galmaximas 2015-09-15 10:44:16  
Late reply but yeah fresh install did the trick thanks for all the advice/help I appreciate it
 Phoenix.Hellcatt
サーバ: Phoenix
user: hellcatt
By Phoenix.Hellcatt 2015-09-16 13:46:35  
so i just did a fresh install of ffxi and windower4 ffxi works fine but when i go to open windower 4 on my windows 8 laptop i get the green box that reads windower 4 but after that where it should open up and start updating instead of the big green box its a big blanked out white box any idea why this is happening anyone im on a alienware 14 and i cant seam to get into the Bios to turn off secure boot up ive tryed all the tricks i can think of if anyone can hlp plz hit me up
 Siren.Akson
サーバ: Siren
user: AKs0n
By Siren.Akson 2015-09-16 13:57:11  
Seems with Windower update DS4 controller not working. Is it just me? Idk what happened. Died on me.
Also: PoL randomly crashing —_—