フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Starting a mythic
Starting a mythic
 Sylph.Oraen
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Gaztastic
By Sylph.Oraen 2015-06-21 14:53:12  
Wordspoken said: »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Savage Blade better/comparable than CDC nowadays?

Comparable at 2k tp, yes. Better? Highly doubtful.

One, CDC has more favorable skillchain elements with popular WSs, and two, you'll often find that a lucky crit or multi attack in a 1k CDC will make it stronger than a 2k Savage, with the added benefit of being able to spam it at 1k all you want.

EDIT: The BLU guide here on the AH is an excellent resource in terms of spell sets and gearing. A lot of updated information concerning swords and gear is included in the latest pages of the guide thread as well.
[+]
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-06-22 16:40:19  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Lakshmi.Amymy said: »
What's the best 5 jobs for salvage? I only use monk.
Varies by zone, I'd say:

WAR: /DNC for Arrapago with no problems, can Retaliator/Fell Cleave gears in bunches. In Bhaflau, lacks a good native magic damage source or self-healing. Using Beatific Shield can help against bosses, notably Cerb which you can use Requiescat or Cloudsplitter on.
MNK: Manages just fine. Formless Strikes gets through the Cerb damage mechanic.
RDM: Unsurprisingly, handles itself incredibly well and can manage in any situation. Limited cleaving options though.
BLM: /RDM for Phalanx, I suppose. Could do ok but probably not ideal. Many major ToAU enemies have a noticeable MDT going on, including the bosses here, with Cerb's oddball mechanics requiring some melee damage. Wouldn't recommend it unless you're a seasoned soloist.
WHM: Not as effective as RDM, but still pretty sturdy. A good melee WHM would be a bit slower than a RDM, but probably just as safe for the most part.
THF: Rips through Arrapago, suffers tremendously against Cerbs (I haven't tried /RDM though). Can do Silver Seas, but bring good magic evasion and hope the Dvergrs don't just land everything easy.
PLD: Like RDM but a little slower on bosses due to not having Haste 2, but pretty damn safe. In Silver Seas, you can aggro the entirety of floor 4 and get TP from shield blocks to spam Circle Blade.
DRK: I'd imagine it handles itself decently well, better than WAR or THF on Cerberus. Still could use Haste though, so maybe RDM or WHM sub would be ideal for faster runs.
BST: Once you have your pet, you're all set. Use a pet with a magic Ready move on Cerb. In Bhaflau, head to a Moblin and kill him first, probably the slowest and least fun part of your run. Silver Seas gets ranged/ammo on floor 4 so you'll be solo fighting for any early gear or stats, plan accordingly.
RNG: Not even worth trying.
BRD: Songs get to be pretty handy when you get ranged, but before then you're pretty vulnerable. You might need to sleep some early enemies for initial gear unlocks, and bosses can be overwhelming.
DRG: Does great all over. Sub RDM for more healing breath, Haste and Enspell, though maybe WHM in Silver Seas for status removal. Sonic Thrust wipes out gears without any effort.
SAM: Easier TP, but lacking a cleave move. Could rip through the Dvergrs pretty fast, and with Warding Circle you stand a better chance than most melees. Might want to use Requiescat on Cerb if you try him.
NIN: One of the few jobs that can handle Zhayolm. Great survivability, especially early on when you're lacking gear. RDM sub for Haste and Enspells can speed up a fight like Cerb. Lacks a cleave though.
SMN: Unlike BST, you at least get your pet right away, even if it'll be a little weaker, so you're never totally alone. Gets through bosses no problem. Just remember that Archaic stuff aggro magic, so stay safe when resummoning.
BLU: Undisputed king of Salvage, especially in Bhaflau. Not a single weakness to this job other than the fact that you can't just pick it up overnight. Abuses Cerberus damage mechanics with physical blue magic, try Azure Lore on Orthrus and watch him die in 30 seconds.
COR: Aside from Quick Draw and Rolls, you're a bit limited in terms of survivability. Can get into trouble fast when fighting a horde of gears, and probably doesn't fare too well against bosses. No good cleave, either.
PUP: I honestly know nothing about PUP, though I imagine it would take on bosses really well.
DNC: Manages a bit better than even MNK or NIN. One of the better jobs for survivability against bosses, including Cerb, or groups of gears.
SCH: In the same boat as BLM, with better native survival options.
GEO: One of the more capable mages, just don't get overconfident pulling too much or you might get overwhelmed. Malaise + Ra spells and moves like Cataclysm or Earth Crusher will wipe out a rampart's worth of gears. May need to play it safe on bosses though, since it's not the sturdiest of jobs.
RUN: Like PLD and RDM, it's very hard to kill. Can take on all bosses, including the Dvergrs, while afk (unless you're horribly geared). Using Battuta with a great axe will allow you to cleave entire floors without even being fully unlocked. Lack of a native Haste make it kill Cerb much slower than a RDM though, so you'd be faster farming in SS than Bhaflau.

PUP is a good Salvage job that can clear any zone. It lacks a cleave (Spinning Attack is so-so) but compares favorably to the rest in terms of survivability and single target kills. I generally sub DNC for Sneak/Invis, Haste Samba, and Violent Flourish. Salvage 2 pet of choice would have to be the RDM. You get Haste 2 and a lot of buffs that make you tougher.

edit: what's hard about Zhayolm?
 Sylph.Jeanpaul
MSPaint Champion
user: JeanPaul
By Sylph.Jeanpaul 2015-06-22 16:57:18  
Zhayolm doesn't have head/body/hands/legs/feet until the 5th floor, which you get from single gears. This wouldn't be too big a deal were it not for the fact that the first room you see has 4 of them and a chariot, so you have to be ready for potentially fighting 5 enemies at once while nude, depending on your pull. Can be a run-ender if you're not capable of sleeping or dodging their hits. Ranged/ammo come from triple gears, which you don't see unless you either work a rampart, or go to floor 6.
By bradinthebox 2015-06-22 18:21:06  
Sylph.Oraen said: »
As Jeanpaul said, BLU cannot just be picked up like any other job and perform to nearly the same level. It absolutely is the king of Salvage, without a doubt, but building it will be more hassle than an entry level THF or something.

Disagreeing with the effort involved: the only thing different about BLU compared to other jobs is you have to learn spells the annoying BLU way. And if you're just using it for Salvage, you only need a dozen or so of them. Also no nuking set, CDC, job points, or even 119 gear required to do Bhaflau in 30 minutes.

What you absolutely must have:
- Erratic Flutter
- Sudden Lunge and/or Occultation to survive the nudie parts
- Obligatory Dual Wield spells (unless you sub DNC and don't care about DW3+)
- A self-heal (usually Magic Fruit unless you have MAB for Sanguine)
- MP recovery (usually Battery Charge)
- A Chain Affinity combo (bare minimum: Requiescat+Quad. Continuum)
- Whirl of Rage+Benthic Typhoon+Empty Thrash OR MAB Subduction for gears
- An emergency crowd control spell (Sleeps or Subduction) for gears
- Good physical spells to spam on Cerbs, at least one with a short cooldown

- Sparks/WKR gear or better
- Capped or close-to-capped Sword/Blue/Evasion skill
- One of: Savage Blade/Expiacion/Chant du Cygne/Requiescat (for Chain Affinity)

PS get AF1 hands
 Sylph.Safiyyah
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-06-22 19:50:12  
Sylph.Jeanpaul said: »
Zhayolm doesn't have head/body/hands/legs/feet until the 5th floor, which you get from single gears. This wouldn't be too big a deal were it not for the fact that the first room you see has 4 of them and a chariot, so you have to be ready for potentially fighting 5 enemies at once while nude, depending on your pull. Can be a run-ender if you're not capable of sleeping or dodging their hits. Ranged/ammo come from triple gears, which you don't see unless you either work a rampart, or go to floor 6.

Ah, gotcha. We call floor 5 "that awful pull". On PUP, you want your auto to buff you with Phalanx/Stoneskin before that pull. It's doable without but easy with those.
[+]
 Fenrir.Tecan
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Tecan
By Fenrir.Tecan 2015-06-22 19:57:47  
I'm just about finished with my kenkonken and I spammed silver sea as pup/dnc with VE head/SS body. No ranged until third floor but it's easy without. I usually just gear up fully and go straight for the boss. I could probably get more alex if I farmed the fourth floor but it's a quick 20 min to just get the pouch on the boss.