フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Gardening in stupid RL
Gardening in stupid RL
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Siren.Mosin
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: BKiddo
By Siren.Mosin 2015-06-26 10:03:31  
these are from monday, I've had a rough week. I'll post more next week, as there's been a substantial amount of growth, thanks in part to you fine lot.

L to R:

Snap peas
strawberries
bell peppers
jalapenos
more strawberries
big boy tomato
cherry tomato

L to R:

carrots
sweet potato
potato
cantaloupe
watermelon
corn
squash

yessir.
[+]
 Bismarck.Misao
サーバ: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2015-06-26 10:05:57  
Find the ninja in the picture.
Also find the sniper.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-06-30 10:30:42  

[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 10:44:25  
Looking good Mos! No critter fence? I'll take pics of mine tonight.

Hops are progressing.

This was about a week ago. Chinook is the best looking one, no cones yet though.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-06-30 10:50:04  
I drive through hop farming country in southern WA state fairly regularly.

You are going to need bigger poles.

You will start getting cones late in the summer.

Harvesting.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-06-30 10:55:54  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »

ty sir.

I have the supplies, but also have seen a few bunnies splattered on the road back there, so I'm going to wait a bit & see how necessary it is.

get a pic of the view off the back of your house too, looks nice.
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-06-30 11:03:54  
I might have to get people's salsa recipes too, trying to figure out wtf to do with those stupid tomatoes.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-06-30 12:42:31  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
I drive through hop farming country in southern WA state fairly regularly.

You are going to need bigger poles.

You will start getting cones late in the summer.

Harvesting.

Yeah I don't know where to get a bigger pole than the 8 footers I have there now. I was thinking of running twine off the poles to the house. Next year I'll have to come up with something a better more pro solution.

Siren.Mosin said: »

ty sir.

I have the supplies, but also have seen a few bunnies splattered on the road back there, so I'm going to wait a bit & see how necessary it is.

get a pic of the view off the back of your house too, looks nice.

Bunnies do go good with salsa. My view is better in the winter.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-07-02 09:32:11  
Yeah I don't know where to get a bigger pole than the 8 footers I have there now. I was thinking of running twine off the poles to the house. Next year I'll have to come up with something a better more pro solution.
Actually twine to your eaves is a good idea.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-02 10:50:11  
my tomatoes are doing good but my peppers are all weird and lost all their lower leaves and are refusing to flower... perhaps because we haven't seen the sun in two months.... stupid schizoid ohio weather

the hops look awesome nausi!
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-02 11:31:16  
Just planted our second crop of radishes, lettuce, cabbage, and green onions. My tomatoes are almost 5 feet tall with dozens of blooms each. What am I going to do with 300 tomatoes?!
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-02 11:52:44  
Odin.Jassik said: »
Just planted our second crop of radishes, lettuce, cabbage, and green onions. My tomatoes are almost 5 feet tall with dozens of blooms each. What am I going to do with 300 tomatoes?!

all I can think of is too make a bunch of salsa, then throw the rest at speeding cars or uncouth neighborhood children.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-07-02 12:03:00  
Though I didn't do any real gardening this year, other than a few potted odds and ends, with all of the rain we discovered a pleasant surprise in our backyard.

I'm not sure if this is the fruit bearing breed. Apparently, passion flower is used in teas to quell insomnia and anxiousness. I hope they won't go dormant next year.
[+]
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2015-07-02 12:03:26  
Siren.Mosin said: »

all I can think of is too make a bunch of salsa, then throw the rest at speeding cars or uncouth neighborhood children.

Or I could sell them to the crowd at the next Aryan parade.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-02 12:09:02  
Damn, those are cool lookin' Z.

Or I could sell them to the crowd at the next Aryan parade.

now you're thinking.
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2015-07-02 12:14:18  
Yeah! I had no idea what they were. The leaves kind of look like broader poison oak, so that led to a bit of apprehension until it finally bloomed.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-02 12:35:34  

I need things to plant, but that's my garden box. Parts of it get shade at various spots over the day because of the bush next to it. I didn't want to sacrifice my sunny soaked lawn in the back by placing a clunky garden in the middle. On the right I planted zucchini, on the left I think is spinach and elsewhere there is broccoli and jalapenos. I checked the sun pattern and the shade loving stuff (broc and spinach) is in the shady areas.

So from L-R I have Centenial, Chinook, Nugget, and Zeus (CTZ). The Chinook is so big that it's overtaking the poll for nugget. I'll run twine to the house window I've taken the picture from this weekend.

Additionally, I hate grass, well I love looking at it, but I hate growing it. I have bare spots galore in my yard and sometimes when I seed, it works and sometimes it don't. Stupid grass! Advice please.
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-07 14:08:28  
AAHHHHH!!!!

The sweet potatoes were assaulted by bunnies. nature has struck back!

anyone know what these thingies are? they've been doing their bug thing on my corn & peppers, & I'm not familiar with them. are they a problem? or are they eating a problem bug? sup AH? how are your bug identifying skills?
[+]
By volkom 2015-07-07 14:16:24  
tried looking D: sorta looks like a Root-Maggot Fly?

or maybe

Austrosciapus connexus a green Dolichopodidae?
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2015-07-07 14:19:12  
looks like a midge midge

there are a couple of hippy bug killers lemongrass oil and ...some flower whose name I forget... chrysanthemum?

hippy crap

idk... the only reason I would use/recomend the hippy crap is you don't want to kill the bees that were going to pollinate your plants...until you hosed down the whole backyard with DDT
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-07 14:19:21  
I don't think so.

maybe my picture doesn't do it justice, but the body is like..... neon? or fluorescent or reflective? idk.
By volkom 2015-07-07 14:22:47  
i edited D:
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-07 14:23:19  
yeah! looks like that second one.
By volkom 2015-07-07 14:24:55  
keep them~

Quote:
What Does He Eat?
The long legged fly eats soft-bodied invertebrates. Adult flies are predaceous on small mites , Aphids and flea hoppers, booklice, thrips, flies, silverfish, small caterpillars and other insects. You really want to have this little guy in your yard and in your garden. He is a very beneficial little guy.
He will eat nectar from flowers of needed for a carbohydrate source. So remember to have a source of small flowers close by for all of your beneficials!

https://ediblesanmarcos.wordpress.com/library/beneficial-insects/beneficial-insect-long-legged-fly-dolichopodidae-genus-condylostylus/
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-07 14:25:38  
thanks volk.
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2015-07-08 09:19:01  
Shiva.Nikolce said: »
looks like a midge midge

there are a couple of hippy bug killers lemongrass oil and ...some flower whose name I forget... chrysanthemum?

hippy crap

idk... the only reason I would use/recomend the hippy crap is you don't want to kill the bees that were going to pollinate your plants...until you hosed down the whole backyard with DDT
Pyrethrum
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-16 10:05:23  
UPDATE!

Forgive me, I have not mowed my grass since I patch/seeded it 3.5 weeks ago.

The Chinook has reached the house, it has MANY side arms (the part which will grow the fruit) I'm expecting a pretty decent yield from that one, as I can already see some cone buds. The centennial (first) is the only one that isn't reaching the horizontal. Disappointing but the season isn't over yet.

My zucchini's getting enormous and overlapping the broccoli in the middle. Do I trim them back? I have no idea where the veggie part will grow from. Yay for spinach too!
[+]
 Siren.Mosin
By Siren.Mosin 2015-07-16 11:36:11  
nice work, I'll try to get some pics up in the next day or two.
By Bloodrose 2015-07-16 12:24:44  
Only hippies let their grass grow that long!

But nice garden. Kind of jelly since I don't have a place to grow one of my own, and the property manager said "FU!" to using the empty space that looks like utter ***to start a garden.
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2015-07-16 13:18:07  
Bloodrose said: »
Only hippies let their grass grow that long!

But nice garden. Kind of jelly since I don't have a place to grow one of my own, and the property manager said "FU!" to using the empty space that looks like utter ***to start a garden.
Condo? Talk to a board member. Otherwise, grab some pots!
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9