users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Crafter's Crib » Cooking » Culinarian's Torque
Culinarian's Torque
 Bismarck.Johnb
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Johnb
By Bismarck.Johnb 2015-03-05 22:31:23  
Can anyone share their experience with trying to get this torque? Recently spent many hours with level 5 treasure casket discovery (no myriad boxes kupower) and did not get drop. What are the best monsters to kill after level 5 and before?

I usually start at Pugil/Warlock page to build up. I also tried killing worms and turtles but I got straight blue (7-10 in a row) with brown being pretty rare. In addition, I tried the lower level mobs like lizards and makara but don't they seem to drop often.
By iambatman3131 2015-03-05 23:06:38  
It is just random luck of the draw.

I spent 7~ hours down there like 3 weeks ago, only had casket discovery 3 iirc, and all i killed were turtles and worms, and it finally popped.
Random item in the brown chest is random.
 Carbuncle.Conini
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Conini
By Carbuncle.Conini 2015-03-05 23:12:15  
My Experience with farming this Torque:

HELL!

One thing that may help you, is to just wait for the Kupower to be up; the 1st week of farming I did it was without Kupower and the brown box rate was just horrible.

Skip to next week...

Kupower was up, I didn't leave zone (had to logout twice though) ... it was non-stop farming for... I can't even remember to be honest...

It takes time, and a boatload of patience :/

also, I farmed the turtles/worms for the minimal Capacity Points I recieved so it wasn't an utter waste of time in case I had decided to ragequit
 Shiva.Eboneezer
サーバ: Shiva
user: Eboneezer
By Shiva.Eboneezer 2015-03-06 01:28:43  
The percentage is based on what percentage you will have left on your last guess if you follow all of its suggestions from that point forward (and they fail until then). So if it tells you 100%, then as long as you pick each of its suggestions, you will get it 100% of the time. If it says 50%, and you fail on each of its suggestions, you will be left with 2 choices at the end (50/50 chance). I hope that makes sense.

The percentage it lists isn't the percentage of you getting it right at that time, it's the percentage you will have on your last guess if you follow the numbers it selects and they all fail until the last choice.
[+]
 Fenrir.Magi
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Magitek
By Fenrir.Magi 2015-03-06 02:31:37  
Culinarian's torque wasn't as bad for me, but it did take awhile. I liked Gustav because you can train just about every EEP mobs (just don't pull too many because you wont be able to open every brown casket). I cycled gobs, skeletons, wyvern, ghosts and pugils, gathering about 15 or so mobs each pull and usually getting a good amount of brown boxes.
 Bismarck.Johnb
By Bismarck.Johnb 2015-03-06 07:58:27  
My server hasn't had Mystery Boxes in two months though. I don't see how it is feasible to just wait for it.
 Odin.Shaggnix
サーバ: Odin
user: shagg
By Odin.Shaggnix 2015-03-06 08:06:03  
1: cleave, but not too many. more than 5 brown boxes from a single cleave will go to waste unless you have someone helping you open them.

2: go on thf, bring tools/keys. Thfs tools/living keys/skeleton keys/etc will give you a free hint that greatly reduces the starting range

3: like others have mentioned, myriad mystery boxes helps. Its not required though if you can just pull bigger trains, the kupo power just improves brown box spawn rate.

4: patience. It can take over 100 brown boxes before you see a torque, meanwhile someone who doesn't craft at all just got 2 in 1 box while they were running to altep for the first time. Shits random, expect to be unlucky and for it to take a while.
[+]
By Wordspoken 2015-03-06 10:00:34  
It also might be helpful to know, that after you get high enough prowess, you can start killing too weak mobs, they drop caskets all the same.
 Bismarck.Johnb
By Bismarck.Johnb 2015-03-06 12:58:32  
Got the torque just now after a JP friend helped for about 3 hours today. Dropped from a worm, easy chest.