Have You Tried /geo?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » Have you tried /geo?
Have you tried /geo?
First Page 2
By Nazrious 2015-01-14 00:12:20  
Did some searching but did not find anything, also dont feel like reading through pages and pages of threads.

Has anyone tried /geo since it was buffed?
Why would it be a good/bad idea?

I know very little about the Job and even less about what subbing it does. However the nature of this game lends itself to almost any Job being subbable in some way or for some specific purpose.

Was thinking about Cor, Brd, Smn or Rdm / Geo.

Any useful info is appreciated.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2015-01-14 00:18:22  
The two major factors to consider here are:
1. No geomancy + gear.
2. No handbell at all, effectively cutting the already low subjob skill in half.

I'd like to see some hard data about the potency of spells as a sub, but it faces a similar situation as bard in terms of why it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-01-14 00:39:46  
A very brief look at /GEO..

No GEO spell access at all. I could only use Indi-spells on WHM/GEO. So you're stuck with only one buff/debuff.

Limited spell selection. Prime example, No frailty.

Low potency. With capped and merited skills:

Indi-Refresh was yielding 1/tick refresh. (GEO main, +10/tick)
Indi-Fury was giving +9.7% atk. (My GEO main, +46.4% atk.)
Indi-Precision, +9 acc. (My GEO main, +72 ACC.)

It's pretty bad for the most part. Fury is decent if you look at is as 9.7% vs nothing. Maybe sub it on a buffing job if you have enough support that they don't need to assist with status removal/curing?

It also does get access to Indi-Focus. But looking at the Precision value, I can't help but think that the M.ACC+ would be piddly.
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2015-01-14 00:41:30  
I sometimes do SCH/GEO.
indi-barrier, stonra~blizzara, Cataclysm.

Great when a friend asks you to level them a new job in abyssea.
I think barrier did something like 60 or 80 defense. It's not much but better than not putting anything up.

I also salvage often on sch/geo so I can cleave gears. 1x 3000 TP cataclysm kills them all.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-01-14 00:48:08  
That's pretty niche, though.

Also, I'm getting +14.7%(+99 def) def on WHM/GEO.
By Nazrious 2015-01-14 07:03:45  
Ragnarok.Martel said: »

No GEO spell access at all. I could only use Indi-spells on WHM/GEO. So you're stuck with only one buff/debuff.

It's pretty bad for the most part. Fury is decent if you look at is as 9.7% vs nothing. Maybe sub it on a buffing job if you have enough support that they don't need to assist with status removal/curing?

It also does get access to Indi-Focus. But looking at the Precision value, I can't help but think that the M.ACC+ would be piddly.

9.7% atk is not piddly, might be something to look into, effectively make Brd 4 song. Also I would see lolcors(as in 3 item and eminent gun gimp) benefiting froma 9.7% atk aura. Situationaly useful for sure but with a decent PDT set could make a meh cor or brd a little less meh. I mean not like lolcors or lolbrd do much beside fail to put up songs/rolls and afk.

That's pretty niche, though.

Also, I'm getting +14.7%(+99 def) def on WHM/GEO.

Thats actually a significant amount on Pld and Run, better then Defender with no penalty, would that be prior to buffs or inclusive of them? I could see Pld/Blu or Run/Blu with a /geo having some sick Def.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Spiraboo
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2015-01-14 07:10:41  
you're assuming the lolcor or lolbrd has geo levelled to 49 with merits and capped skill of a level 49 geo to get what martel said though lol

And it'd only also be worthwhile if you don't already have a geo doing fury, and by the looks of things geos are pretty popular lately.

Also it means the bard or cor would be in range full time, which may or may not matter depending on the circumstances of the fight. so you're probably also relying on the cor/bard to idle in -dt gear (or at least, 119 gear).. the amount of cors/brds i see that idles in empyrean gear...

There's a lot of ifs, but yes, in a rare situation it may work.
By Nazrious 2015-01-14 07:27:03  
Cerberus.Spirachub said: »
you're assuming the lolcor or lolbrd has geo levelled to 49 with merits and capped skill of a level 49 geo to get what martel said though lol

And it'd only also be worthwhile if you don't already have a geo doing fury, and by the looks of things geos are pretty popular lately.

Also it means the bard or cor would be in range full time, which may or may not matter depending on the circumstances of the fight. so you're probably also relying on the cor/bard to idle in -dt gear (or at least, 119 gear).. the amount of cors/brds i see that idles in empyrean gear...

There's a lot of ifs, but yes, in a rare situation it may work.

Yeah talking more about a situation where I may have to like lolcor (dont even have unlocked but example) Got the job lvl n skilled just not geared to non lol standards. as far as DT goes a lot of people have the standard Dring Neck etc.

When does Geo ever put up def bubble? (serious, don't really see it used)

Very much a novelty idea but if it actually makes some content easier then hey why not, if only for completionist/ minmaxing. Hell Rdm/geo for AAs if u brining one along as a 3rd backline.
 Ragnarok.Garota
user: Garota
By Ragnarok.Garota 2015-01-14 12:29:52  
Chimerawizard said: »
I sometimes do SCH/GEO.
indi-barrier, stonra~blizzara, Cataclysm.

Great when a friend asks you to level them a new job in abyssea.
I think barrier did something like 60 or 80 defense. It's not much but better than not putting anything up.

I also salvage often on sch/geo so I can cleave gears. 1x 3000 TP cataclysm kills them all.

Thought of you when I saw the title of this thread. <3
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-14 13:36:36  
Definitely a piss-poor support job, much like BRD/COR/SMN. You lose a huge chunk of the functionality for an marginally situational aberration. It requires a Handbell to access Geocolure spells (much like it requires an instrument to sing more than one song). If SE added a lvl1 "all jobs" Bell, I could see there being some use, albeit incredibly small still.

If you're using /geo for defense capabilies, its likely you could just as easily sub BLU for cocoon which gives you +50% defense. I tried this sub when the job came out and I was disappointed, but its to be expected. There are only a handful of opportunities where you could sub GEO to get some effects, and even then, simply subbing rdm or whm would provide a better alternative.

Idk, maybe if they added more Geomancy+ skill gear, it could get better. as of right now, its a horrible option.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-14 13:40:45  
Quote:

If there are ever two GEOs in a group, Barrier or Wilt is kind of helpful. I have used it a few times, where the other GEO was using frailty & haste. It gives a huge chunk of damage resistance along with DD bubbles too. Can't forget you can always entrust a spell, so might occasionally put that one the RUN or PLD if he's taking inordinate damage.
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Creaucent
By Creaucent Alazrin 2015-01-14 14:01:56  
Well if /geo was any good then people wouldn't bring geos to anything and just have some support job sub it. Though id sooner rather delevel cor than go cor/geo I hated going /Whm back in the day much prefer /nin or /rng and /dnc now doing the damage.

All the support jobs are crap when subbed I'd Imagine it would be too damn broken if you could give a stronger song on /brd or better/stronger rolls on /cor.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-14 14:12:59  
No, but that Corsair ring that is +3/+5 would have been nice if it said "All Jobs". It's not like the buff is wholly substantial, but a an increase for 99 content is an increase. Means You can mage/cor with corsair's roll for better exp/cp during campaigns.
 Asura.Highwynn
サーバ: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-14 14:22:58  
If extra cures/erases aren't necessary, brd/geo could give dds a gimped bubble which might be more or less like an extra song. Also a refresh bubble for mages which could be like a ballad 1
 Asura.Highwynn
サーバ: Asura
user: Highwynd
By Asura.Highwynn 2015-01-14 14:25:02  
Actually reading above posts, if the only thing it adds is a 10% fury, might as well sub SMN. Gives you hastega and crimson howl which i think is also a 10% attack boost(also lets you aoe stona with spring water, and split pull with avatar).

So odd that jobs like /brd and /smn and /geo and /cor are so gimp when subbed but /war, /rdm, /sch are so amazing when subbed.
By Nazrious 2015-01-14 14:42:10  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Definitely a piss-poor support job, much like BRD/COR/SMN. You lose a huge chunk of the functionality for an marginally situational aberration. It requires a Handbell to access Geocolure spells (much like it requires an instrument to sing more than one song). If SE added a lvl1 "all jobs" Bell, I could see there being some use, albeit incredibly small still.

If you're using /geo for defense capabilies, its likely you could just as easily sub BLU for cocoon which gives you +50% defense. I tried this sub when the job came out and I was disappointed, but its to be expected. There are only a handful of opportunities where you could sub GEO to get some effects, and even then, simply subbing rdm or whm would provide a better alternative.

Idk, maybe if they added more Geomancy+ skill gear, it could get better. as of right now, its a horrible option.

The run or pld would /blu one of the support /geo...

Does subbed smn offer 10% how often is it usable, hastega is irrelevant, what caught my eye was the atk and def, even gimped they seem strong enough to at least take a deeper look.

As for def with a second geo, sure but if you only running 1 or none you are opting for other buffs, at least in my experience you are.

I can see Pld 2 anni rng Whm Brd Rdm/geo being a very viable option for AAs.
 Valefor.Ophannus
サーバ: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2015-01-14 14:47:33  
Pretty sure it (Crimson Howl) does. Gives my DDs about 85-90ish attack which as much as a Minuet V I'd wager.
By Nazrious 2015-01-14 14:58:20  
Valefor.Ophannus said: »
Pretty sure it (Crimson Howl) does. Gives my DDs about 85-90ish attack which as much as a Minuet V I'd wager.

Intresting, this is subbed?

Opens up the both for use then, maybe even have brd sub smn n rdm sub geo(simply cus rdm stays still during AAs for the most part.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2015-01-14 15:20:55  
Asura.Highwynn said: »
Actually reading above posts, if the only thing it adds is a 10% fury, might as well sub SMN. Gives you hastega and crimson howl which i think is also a 10% attack boost(also lets you aoe stona with spring water, and split pull with avatar).

So odd that jobs like /brd and /smn and /geo and /cor are so gimp when subbed but /war, /rdm, /sch are so amazing when subbed.

or /dnc and get access box step and quick step, and being able to do a little bit of healing/status ailment removal and a bit of dmg. but I guess lolcor or lolbrd won't really be able to hit anything with their leech gear set.

crimson howl has a very short duration i think(old wiki is saying 1 minute)? might not be that practical
 Valefor.Ophannus
サーバ: Valefor
user: Ophannus
By Valefor.Ophannus 2015-01-14 15:31:47  
It's decentish for zergs. I just used to bring BRD/SMN for 6 man delves since we had a Yagrush WHM to handle erases, and Hastega is ultra convenient for lazy *** like myself.

I kinda wish they went back and reevaluated every job as a sub to make them all either uniformly crappy or uniformly good.

Like for example, /RDM gets like 90% of RDM's utility, MAB2, FC2, Cure IV, Haste, Refresh, Convert(how is this not gimped when subbed), Distract, Frazzle, Stoneskin, Phalanx. But /BLM gives you Elemental Seal, Warp/Warp II. Sleeps and that's about it(the nukes are worthless without main job Ele skill).

I don't know why they couldn't make /BRD get 2 songs, they're gonna be half potency anyway cuz of /49 skill, why make it completely worthless(they even reduced the level for Pianissimo so it's subbable). Just kind of shoehorns most jobs to use 1-2 subs only when some subs offer so much but most offer nothing.

/MNK, /BRD, /COR, /GEO, /DRG, /PUP, all virtually worthless.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2015-01-14 15:51:00  
Quote:

This isn't indicated in the scenario above. The SCH says he uses it for salvage cataclysm. If a SCH subbed GEO for this purpose in a party setting, he can't even entrust it; He would actually have to stand ON TOP of the party for them to even have the effect. No, that's aboslutely silly.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-01-14 16:55:03  
Nazrious said: »
9.7% atk is not piddly, might be something to look into, effectively make Brd 4 song.

Please actually read what I said. I never said 9% atk was piddly. I did imply that the indi-precision value was, and that focus likely would be too.
By Yankke23 2015-01-14 17:25:23  
BRD/GEO!!! :P
By Nazrious 2015-01-14 17:51:17  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Quote:

This isn't indicated in the scenario above. The SCH says he uses it for salvage cataclysm. If a SCH subbed GEO for this purpose in a party setting, he can't even entrust it; He would actually have to stand ON TOP of the party for them to even have the effect. No, that's aboslutely silly.

In some situations to stand on top of tank is no go, but in others not a big deal. It has been established it is a novel sub, does not change that run/blu or pld/blu with additional def from a support/geo would get a very huge chunk of def.

Actually just brainstorming. With right position could prolly cover super tnk pld in DM. If a person did not have a suitable Job they could be a personal buff *** for supertank with very little work outside of abby burn and skillup (much easier than leveling and gearing rng geo pld rdm whm brd or cor, to actually contribute).

9.7% atk is not piddly, might be something to look into, effectively make Brd 4 song.

Please actually read what I said. I never said 9% atk was piddly. I did imply that the indi-precision value was, and that focus likely would be too.

ok.

Yeah sometimes I quickly read through post on the interwebs, wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. So you didn't say it was piddly.

*passes Martel a cookie* just in case you wanted one.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-01-14 19:25:48  
Damnit. Now I want cookies. <,<;
 Odin.Llewelyn
サーバ: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2015-01-14 21:11:16  
Only time I use Barrier+Wilt is in Marjami Delve in a DD setup on the Apkallu and first 50% of Harpy.
By Chimerawizard 2015-01-15 02:13:39  
Did Head Wind (D) with <30min before the update.
GEO GEO NIN MNK WHM BRD.
Neither geo has idris.

1st geo: Bolster Geo-Wilt, Indi-Barrier, entrust Indi-fury
2nd geo: Geo-Torpor, Indi-Precision.
accuracy was probably like 100 over cap... The mithras died in ~2 minutes of engaging. Probably should have entrusted precision & torpor and used geo-frailty & indi-fury.

I nuked 'Z' to bring her back into the bubbles when the bard or whm somehow got hate on her. she hit me for crap. talking 0~30 dmg.

We both were told to go /nin, next time I'll go /rdm.
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2015-01-15 05:30:17  

Brd can sub dnc and Rudra spam plus steps for def Eva down. I dont see how sub geo beats it.
 Cerberus.Spirachub
By Cerberus.Spirachub 2015-01-15 06:10:05  
I guess the arguement is that the bard need very good acc gear to keep steps up and rudra spam, and they're talking about a lolbrd scenario (though i doubt lolbrd has a skilled /geo available)

But yes I agree, melee bard is now very fun.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2015-01-15 11:37:20  
Ragnarok.Afania said: »

Brd can sub dnc and Rudra spam plus steps for def Eva down. I dont see how sub geo beats it.
Quote someone else if you want to argue against a position that I didn't take.
[+]
First Page 2