Windows 8.1 And Windower

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Windower » General » Windows 8.1 and windower
Windows 8.1 and windower
By minikomby 2014-10-19 00:14:02  
does windower work on window 8.1? a friend told me that he couldnt run windower on windows 8.1, anyone know if this is true? i just got new pc and it has window 8.1
 Quetzalcoatl.Valli
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: valli
By Quetzalcoatl.Valli 2014-10-19 00:30:50  
I just literally got FORCED into windows 8.1 an hour ago. While I was out working, my *** laptop downloaded and converted me to 8.1 without my knowledge/consent etc.

However, windower seems to be working just fine on 8.1, but I'm still unfuckinghappy.

I LIED... it WAS working fine. Until it decided that windows needs a program called Direct Play. and it crashed windower to download said program.

After downloading said Direct Play program, it works fine (so far).
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2014-10-19 00:48:04  
Windower works fine for most people on Windows 8. But there is one particular crash that we were never able to replicate that seems to pop up out of nowhere and never goes away. It happens to only a few Windows 8 players, but it does happen, and no one knows why or how to stop it yet. But that isn't exclusive to Windows 8.1, it happens just as well on Windows 8. You'd have to take your chances with it.
 Bahamut.Orinthia
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Orinthia
By Bahamut.Orinthia 2014-10-19 04:57:31  
Works fine, and has for a long time.

Installed it on 2 different machines with 8 (one was originally win8, then later 8.1 and 8.1 u1 and worked then too, other is just 8.1 u1) and both just work after getting legacy crap installed (direct play, dx8.1/9c), and windows will prompt to install it too.

Turn your UAC to off or one tick above off: the screen dimming action kills ffxi if it ever happens with any other program you run after xi is up.

It was windower 3.x that didn't like win8.
 Sylph.Gaspard
サーバ: Sylph
user: kotomaru
By Sylph.Gaspard 2014-11-07 10:37:06  
I actually managed to get Windower back to working after having the windows 8.1 bug! Not an easy task, but just in case, here's the recap.

Was doing Adoulin quest in Khamir Drifts, Breaking The Ice, KI for reives, and it froze on me when switching cutscenes, just blank screen. Loaded up FFXI without windower, as a post found on a forum mentioned, and finished the quest, but Windower would not switch from POL to ffxi after that.

I noticed after I read many of the bugs on the git site for windower, that someone else had the same symptom as me, where when windower launches POL, the icon from pol stays blue, and does not go back to the green mandy icon. Everytime it did that, pol would crash switching to ffxi.

Reinstalled the game, windower, nothing worked. Removed everything, and went hunting in the registry for any keys containing pol.exe, ffxi or playonline, and if it contained a clear indication that it was from the game, deleted that key and it's parent folder in the registry.

Reinstalled from steam, and did updates, and when I launch windower now, it does switch back from pol blue icon when it launches to the green mandy windower one. s soon as I saw that, I hoped it fixed the problem, and after a lengthy update, it did, and back on my main pc with 8.1 and windower 4.

Spent a few days doing all of that work/testing, as I had not updated anything, nor windows, nor gfx drivers, so no updates caused my problems.
 Shiva.Gib
サーバ: Shiva
user: Gib
By Shiva.Gib 2014-11-07 10:44:29  
minikomby said: »
does windower work on window 8.1? a friend told me that he couldnt run windower on windows 8.1, anyone know if this is true? i just got new pc and it has window 8.1
it works fine.

if it doesn't, be sure to go into Windows update and install all optional updates.
 Leviathan.Mckeag
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Tajinjr
By Leviathan.Mckeag 2014-11-07 10:49:19  
I had alot of issues with windower with windows 8.1 It would keep crashing upon opening the ffxi window from playonline login. Had to actually go into bios and turn off secure boot for it to work. Never had a problem since.