users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Quetzalcoatl » Payment Error 401
Payment Error 401
 Quetzalcoatl.Perciva
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Perciva
By Quetzalcoatl.Perciva 2014-10-02 21:46:01  
So i tried to make sure all payment details are handled before I get home from deployment so i can log on when I want to and had an error 401 come up from the SE Acct management website. I tried to pay via CC and ultimate pay and use a game card, and had someone else try as well. Nothing. Read about the fraud blocks the site supposedly uses etc and still nothing. Also contacted SE and they are slow as ***to reply and UltimatePay is of no help as well. Any other suggestions on how to handle this and get back or should I throw in the towel?
 Odin.Calipso
サーバ: Odin
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-02 21:56:42  
Have had same problem for months. Only way I can currently pay is with UltimatePay using Paypal :/
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-10-02 22:09:06  
ultimatepay the company is closing down, their option shouldn't even be in your SE account's page any more(it's not on mine, only credit card)

they knew this was happening for a few months, why they haven't set up a new payment system in anticipation is beyond me

the 401 errors usually come from using a card too far out of range of the card's registered location, if you can access an IP near where the card was issued you might be able to get it to work
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-02 22:24:51  
Well what the actual ***. Haven't been able to use any of my different cards in idk how long. Guess it's time to quit when my month is up!
 Odin.Llewelyn
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2014-10-02 22:28:12  
Odin.Calipso said: »
Guess it's time to quit when my month is up!
Can I have your stuff?
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-02 22:31:56  
No!
Well you can have my NQ carbuncle rings.
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-02 22:47:13  
Ok so, ls friend mentioned using either IE or Chrome instead of Firefox. Was able to finally both register payment method and buy Crysta with my card (something I haven't been able to do since like May).

Try IE, feels dirty but worked for me.

edit: a bit misleading, this only works for one of my mule accounts, and didn't on my other 2.

Maybe if I had tried IE first with them it would've.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-02 23:06:49  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
ultimatepay the company is closing down, their option shouldn't even be in your SE account's page any more(it's not on mine, only credit card)

they knew this was happening for a few months, why they haven't set up a new payment system in anticipation is beyond me

the 401 errors usually come from using a card too far out of range of the card's registered location, if you can access an IP near where the card was issued you might be able to get it to work

They're not using their own currency anymore, but there's no indication that they're shutting down operations, unless you have a link.

SE not allowing crysta transactions through them via paypal sucks though, was there a few days ago.
By Davorin 2014-10-02 23:40:34  
Jetackuu said: »

They're not using their own currency anymore, but there's no indication that they're shutting down operations, unless you have a link.

SE not allowing crysta transactions through them via paypal sucks though, was there a few days ago.

Indication that they're shutting down operations.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-02 23:58:10  
Davorin said: »

Indication that they're shutting down operations.
No it isn't, and since you apparently can't read:

Quote:
Important News! UltimatePoints are being discontinued

PlaySpan will be discontinuing UltimatePoints (Upoints) later this year. As part of our business focus, we have decided to terminate our own branded virtual currency and focus on enabling and supporting our merchants branded in-game currencies.

http://site.ultimatepay.com/

Since services like utilizing them as payment processes for Crysta is the type of business they're focusing on. I realize that some people bought their cards to do their transactions and yes that functionality will be gone, but there's no reason for them to stop the other part, odd.
 Quetzalcoatl.Perciva
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Perciva
By Quetzalcoatl.Perciva 2014-10-03 01:20:30  
Thanks for all the assistance! I will try again and see what happens closer to my arrival home.
 Lakshmi.Bigt
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Bigt
By Lakshmi.Bigt 2014-10-03 01:53:11  
This is happening for me as well. I recovered my main account yesterday without too much trouble, then when I tried recovering my mule accounts I got that error 401 message and got an email saying my account had been locked out because of suspicious login activity =\ SE chat support said my accounts will be locked from ccard reactivation for 24hrs after I get the error 401 and that I can only use game time cards til then to play. Idk how the hell to get game time cards so I tried again today to recover my mules and got one activated before I got the error 401 message again >< Going to try again tomorrow but I'm tempted to just say f it and quit if SE hates taking my money so much. Another thing I noticed was I have like 13 $1 charges on my ccard since recovering my accounts in addition to the regular charges. I emailed SE support so we'll see what they have to say about it.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-03 02:16:02  
Lakshmi.Bigt said: »
Another thing I noticed was I have like 13 $1 charges on my ccard since recovering my accounts in addition to the regular charges. I emailed SE support so we'll see what they have to say about it.

This is normal for them each time you try to authorize your card, it's a temporary "fee" that will be wiped when the transaction goes through/doesn't go through.

Nothing to be alarmed about.
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-03 03:08:05  
Well my account ran out of time tonight, and when it came time to actually pay, I'm still getting 401s.

Gonna try a chat with them tomorrow morning, until then anyone with this issue might wanna try posting in this thread on the OF in the hopes it'll catch someones attention, though I doubt they really give a ***.
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-03 04:27:10  
Bump as just a warning, apparently when you get declined it puts a 24 hour lock on that form of payment until you can try again, which can end up in a 30 day or permanent ban on your CC. (At least this is what I've gathered from reading through different threads). Why they don't post this along with the 401 error as a warning is beyond me.

So don't sit there retying the same cc or even different ones.

Quote:
If you attempted this method of payment multiple times with a failed result, there is a possibility of a longer block being placed on the account. This block can last 30 days. If you have done this, you will need to use a different billing method.
Thank you for contacting the SQUARE ENIX Support Center.

Quote:
Agent Jordan R: Unfortunately, the billing system is a fully-automated system. There is no person or persons overseeing the transactions and manually choosing which cards to decline. But once an error 401/406/601 is given, a 24 hour hold is placed on the account and any further attempts for payment will automatically get declined by the billing system. At this point, we can only advise to wait 24 FULL hours and try again tomorrow, preferably using a different browser and/or PC. Unfortunately, there is nobody in the Support Center with manual controls to the automated billing system and we do not possess the proper tools to bypass these errors. We sincerely apologize for the frustration this may be causing you, but unfortunately, we can only provide the suggestion to please remain patient and try again in 24 hours.
 Bismarck.Ariyon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ariyon
By Bismarck.Ariyon 2014-10-03 04:35:08  
Posted this in a similar thread, but make sure you're allowing gcsip.com through NoScript or whatever you're using or that will trigger a 401 error. If you're already allowing it, then I have no other suggestions.
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-03 04:37:51  
Didn't even have noscript on :/

Gonna try a chat with se tomorrow but I already have a feeling that's going to be a giant waste of time. Guess I'll try a lesser used CC after my CC ban is lifted and hope it goes through :/
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2014-10-03 04:53:44  
SE should just add Paypal (etc.) as a Payment option and be done with it. They would probably make a lot more money.
[+]
By mouve 2014-10-03 06:24:29  
I have those problems also. Lemme share the facts i know that happened to me:

I pay for 6 independents accounts, being one the oldst, the second i did months later and the last 4 bought and registered at same day.

First and second one are registered in my personal cc, and with cycling bill ok. I never had any sort of problem with them.

The last 4 are troublesome, often 401 problem. In the beggining, i could pay at least 2 out 4 accounts with my cc, but the last 2 i needed to buy crysta through ultimate pay options.

After some time, my credit card started to be completely refused, leaving just ultimatepay to make payments. Then i noticed after paying some accounts, the used option started to refuse also, forcing me to use another option (paymentez, paypal, ect.).

Before ultimatepay went down, i just could pay through moneybookers. And even them, at most, just 2 transactions, before it start refusing. Ive been surviving lately by swapping through 2 diferent credit cards, and paying in advance 2+ months.

After reading this topic, i went back to site to check it out, tried to buy some crysta directly through my cc, but didnnt work. With my second cc, i got to buy crysta for 2 chars, before the 401 started to kick.

Tl,dr, my opinion about that ( based on my own experience, and would like people to share theirs, as this problem unlikely will be solved, its not just a ffxi problem - happens with xiv -, its not new, its common, so the best we can do is to avoid it ). Please, tell if you see something untrue.

- its a problem relative to dual/multi boxers.

- its not a pc/browser/internet problem. I try payingwith pc on home internet and ipad home and 3g internet. This doesnt change a thing.

- this problem start happening when several transactions process with same cc (today, for me, it took 2 transactions before 401).

- after some days, the cc becomes available again, so i can buy more crysta. I say that based in my 2 main accounts, that have cycling bills ok, so the cc was never refused for them.

My thought to avoid this problem would be: first of all, change payment day, to avoid 4 consecultives payments. Second, having back up cc, in case the previous get refused.
 Odin.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-10-03 06:59:14  
I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with having multiple accounts. I had that issue with XIV (only ever had one account there) after the ftp period ended and resorted to buying prepaid game cards. Emailed SE a photo of my Visa as requested but to the best of my knowledge the issue wasn't resolved - I quit XIV and went back to XI and used the very same Visa without issues.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2014-10-03 09:18:49  
Quote:

PlaySpan will be discontinuing UltimatePoints (Upoints) later this year. As part of our business focus, we have decided to terminate our own branded virtual currency and focus on enabling and supporting our merchants branded in-game currencies.

Since services like utilizing them as payment processes for Crysta is the type of business they're focusing on. I realize that some people bought their cards to do their transactions and yes that functionality will be gone, but there's no reason for them to stop the other part, odd.
That's your interpretation, I read it as them producing game cards for other companies and not hosting anything else.

Regardless, the ultimatepay section is completely gone from SE's panel, so it sure seems they've shut down.
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-05 20:33:04  
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried calling Global Collect directly?

I found a page/number for them, though despite advertising being 24/7 when I called it said they were closed.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-05 23:21:31  
Quote:

That's your interpretation, I read it as them producing game cards for other companies and not hosting anything else.

Regardless, the ultimatepay section is completely gone from SE's panel, so it sure seems they've shut down.

It's not my interpretation that they're not shutting down, they themselves said that they aren't as a business shutting down, what they'll continue to do afterwards is conjecture however.

Still the point is: them not doing the UGC/points anymore doesn't mean they're shutting down, which is my only real statement.
 Lakshmi.Cledant
user: Latifah
By Lakshmi.Cledant 2014-10-05 23:47:20  
i'm getting 401's as well
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-06 06:49:23  
Odin.Calipso said: »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried calling Global Collect directly?

I found a page/number for them, though despite advertising being 24/7 when I called it said they were closed.

So I got ahold of someone from that number, they tried to be helpful but since I never actually had a successful attempt go through she wasn't able to help me over the phone. She told me to send an email cs@globalcollect.com. So guess we'll see what comes of that.

Might urge anyone with issues to try calling that number, since they're the ones responsible for credit cards/problems and not square.
 Odin.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Odin.Tamoa 2014-10-06 07:14:24  
Good luck Calipso, hope the issue gets resolved so you can play again.
 Odin.Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-10-07 07:49:21  
Got a reply back from Global Collect:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting GlobalCollect.

GlobalCollect is a Payment Service Provider. A Payment Service Provider handles payments on behalf of other companies.

Please be informed, that these transactions were denied on the end of Square Enix.

Therefore, we've forwarded your request to Square Enix. Square Enix will contact you accordingly.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,
Ilse,
Customer Service

Gonna try another chat with SE when support desk opens but at this point I'm ready to just throw in the towel. At least Warlords of Draenor is coming out in around a month :/
 Lakshmi.Cledant
user: Latifah
By Lakshmi.Cledant 2014-10-07 14:42:05  
thats funny because i got a way better response from the same person