Spellcast
First Page 2
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-05-15 05:39:36  
Maintaining this plugin has given us endless trouble. Its code is a mess to the point where we don't even know where to fix things, let alone how. In order to add Wardrobe to Spellcast, we would have to rewrite the entire plugin. The problem is that it's impossible for us to rewrite Spellcast while maintaining all of its idiosyncratic behavior and logical foibles.

So, as of this update, Spellcast is officially deprecated. It is currently not broken that badly, but %equip variables will not work if you use them on a slot that is currently using gear from the Wardrobe. Also, something about <stnpc> targeting has been broken for quite a while.

We have removed Spellcast from the launcher (unless you already have it installed). Problems that arise with it not be fixed from this point, but it isn't as if it will go fully non-functional immediately.

Sorry to everyone that relies on it, but we cannot continue to support this.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2014-05-15 05:45:15  
Gdi!!!
[+]
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-05-15 06:02:22  
[+]
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2014-05-15 06:29:45  
Is there a decent post or place I can try to figure out gearswap with? I tried when it first came out and got frustrated.
 Asura.Tamoa
サーバ: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2014-05-15 06:54:43  
I have to say thank you then, to everyone who's kept it updated and working so far. Mess or not, it's been extremely helpful in fine tuning my performance in this game.

Guess it's time for an old dog to learn a new trick. :(
[+]
By kenshynofshiva 2014-05-15 08:30:27  
Cerberus.Tidis said: »

So many xmls and so little time /cry....

They have this to help spellcast to gearswap time to get to work:
http://sc2lua.windower.net/
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-05-15 08:33:04  
Lakshmi.Eyrhika said: »
Is there a decent post or place I can try to figure out gearswap with? I tried when it first came out and got frustrated.

There is the beta_examples_and_information folder that gives an overview of the API and a few examples. There are also a lot more examples in this thread (and templates that you can just use): http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/119444-Gearswap-Shop-Thread

Now that we have half a year of experience answering GearSwap questions, we're going to try to get some documentation out there that covers the basic issues people seem to have when starting up GearSwap.
By Ophannus 2014-05-15 09:00:35  
I'm not familiar with GS I'm wondering how I can transfer over complex rules like If spell = X change to Y (like when in Light Arts and you cast Thunder V but since you don't have access it casts Thunder III instead)
 Bahamut.Aaniss
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Aaniss 2014-05-15 10:26:41  
Well this bring tears to my eyes! Are there simple GearSwap lua files out there at all. More links are a plus. Also thanks to all who worked on Spellcast this long. Been a pleasure.
[+]
 Cerberus.Conagh
サーバ: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-15 10:33:39  
There was a tool that could convert Spellcast XML's into Lua for gearswap but I have no idea if it was finished (it sorta worked at least)
 Bismarck.Bairdos
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Bairdos
By Bismarck.Bairdos 2014-05-15 11:34:36  
Thanks for keeping this going for so long guys, the work has always been greatly appreciated!
Time to learn Gearswap.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Neboh
user: Neboh
By Lakshmi.Neboh 2014-05-15 11:36:08  
For clarification, SC will still be usable correct? As long as your not pulling from wardrobe? Or will you eventually stop having it work in the near future? Thanks for all your help and support by the way with SC up to this point.
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-05-15 11:46:34  
Spellcast still "works" and will even use equipment from Wardrobe. The issue this update made is that %equip variables will not work if the slot is from Wardrobe. It will either crash you or display a random item from your current inventory.

It's a pretty minor problem, but it would take a phenomenal amount of effort to fix. Now that the plugin has been deprecated, minor problems like that are going to keep building up. This thread is our notification that we will not be fixing them.

If you still use Spellcast, it's not like the plugin will totally stop functioning today, but it will no longer be supported. It's time to move on before something serious breaks.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Zaphor
By Leviathan.Arcon 2014-05-15 11:48:04  
I just started writing a hopefully simple tutorial for using GearSwap. Will probably be a few more hours until it's somewhat complete.

In addition, when downloading GearSwap you should have a Windower/addons/GearSwap/data/ folder with some sample files in there, so you can get a feeling for how it looks like.

I'd also recommend checking out other sample files (such as posted in this thread).

Also, once again, Spellcast is still working, it just doesn't like the Wardrobe. You can still use it like you did before and slowly adjust to GS over time. It will probably be a while until it breaks completely (when their next big inventory structure update comes along, which could be a while). Just saying, you don't need to force yourself to learn everything in a single day, if you've been without a Wardrobe for years you'll probably manage another week or two.
[+]
 Asura.Flufferkins
By Asura.Flufferkins 2014-05-15 11:50:09  
An expected and wholly logical decision.

Thanks so much for creating and maintaining spellcast all these years. You really added a new dimension to the gameplay with your plugin and re-invigorated interest in the game for so many people through it.
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
By Leviathan.Arcon 2014-05-15 11:51:43  
Oh, if Byrth says that Wardrobe still works then it probably does, I didn't really try it myself yet... like I said, no one among the dev team still uses Spellcast.
[+]
 Siren.Kenesu
サーバ: Siren
user: iKhaos
By Siren.Kenesu 2014-05-15 12:02:21  
Be nice if there was a more detail guide into gearswap. The one's I've seen aren't very user friendly.
[+]
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
By Leviathan.Arcon 2014-05-15 13:06:41  
I just started to write a tutorial for that, but apparently Motenten already wrote a pretty comprehensive guide on it here:
http://www.ffxiah.com/node/145
 Fenrir.Divinian
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2014-05-15 13:43:26  
"This tutorial assumes that you have at least a basic comprehension of standard programming terms, such as 'functions', 'variables', 'assignment', etc. If you do not, then start by finding a lua language tutorial on the web."

This is one of the first statements in motentens tutorial. It definitely has me worried as I start looking at GS and probably has a lot of other people worried too. Honestly, I saw this change coming but you have to admit the lack of a "dummies" guide makes this a daunting task for some. I know that this tutorial is meant to be the dummy guide but it assumes a basic understanding of lua, which many do not have.

This post is not a critique of the guide as I am sure I will be making this guide a favorite in my browser soon, but I am a little worried about the stuff I am supposed to already know in order to learn GS.

Can anyone help assuage these fears for us lua noobs?
[+]
 Leviathan.Arcon
VIP
By Leviathan.Arcon 2014-05-15 14:10:10  
Well, fortunately that's exactly the part of my tutorial I just finished writing before I realized Motenten already made one... a gentle introduction to Lua and programming itself :)
http://wiki.windower.net/doku.php?id=addons:gearswap:tutorial:lua:start

Let me know if there's anything you think needs more explaining or can be elaborated on, I still want it to be comprehensive in that regard.
 Asura.Aikchan
user: Aikawa
By Asura.Aikchan 2014-05-15 14:14:20  
Fenrir.Divinian said: »
"This tutorial assumes that you have at least a basic comprehension of standard programming terms, such as 'functions', 'variables', 'assignment', etc. If you do not, then start by finding a lua language tutorial on the web."

This is one of the first statements in motentens tutorial. It definitely has me worried as I start looking at GS and probably has a lot of other people worried too. Honestly, I saw this change coming but you have to admit the lack of a "dummies" guide makes this a daunting task for some. I know that this tutorial is meant to be the dummy guide but it assumes a basic understanding of lua, which many do not have.

This post is not a critique of the guide as I am sure I will be making this guide a favorite in my browser soon, but I am a little worried about the stuff I am supposed to already know in order to learn GS.

looks like you haven't even started with that... or just stopped @ that first statement... if you ever made a Spellcast .xml then you can do a Gearswap .lua, if you got your SC premade, go to BG and get a premade one too.
 Bahamut.Dannyl
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2014-05-15 14:21:39  
R.I.P Spellcast
[+]
 Ragnarok.Liteholt
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Liteholt
By Ragnarok.Liteholt 2014-05-15 14:29:32  
Overall, GS is far more elegant when writing sets than Spellcast was. Let me give a quick example.

I play DNC most of the time. For my melee set, I use this:

ItemSet 322574

To code this into Spellcast, I had to write code that looked like this:
Code
<sets>
  <group name="Dancer" default="yes">
    <set name="Engaged">
      <ammo>Potestas Bomblet</ammo>
      <head>Uk'uxkaj Cap</head>
      <neck>Charis Necklace</neck>
      <lear>Heartseeker Earring</lear>
      <rear>Dudgeon Earring</rear>
      <body>Charis Casaque +2</body>
      <hands>Maxixi Bangles +1</hands>
      <lring>Rajas Ring</lring>
      <rring>Epona's Ring</rring>
      <back>Atheling Mantle</back>
      <waist>Patentia Sash</waist>
      <legs>Quiahuiz Trousers</legs>
      <feet>Horos Toe Shoes +1</feet>
    </set>
  </group>
</sets>

Then I had to go down and set a rule, that looked like this:
Code
<if status="engaged">
 <equip when="engaged" set="Engaged" />
</if>

In Gearswap, however, this is what creating the set looks like (As a side-note, I use Mote's GS templates and swap in my own gear):
Code
sets.engaged = {ammo="Potestas Bomblet",head="Uk'uxkaj Cap",neck="Charis Necklace",ear1="Dudgeon Earring",ear2="Heartseeker Earring",body="Charis Casaque +2",hands="Maxixi Bangles +1",ring1="Rajas Ring",ring2="Epona's Ring",back="Atheling Mantle",waist="Patentia Sash",legs="Quiahuiz Trousers",feet="Horos Toe Shoes +1"}

I'm not quite sure on this, but I think this is the relevant portion of the Mote-Include.lua that handles when you change into your melee set. It's not as immediately intuitive as SC is, but he's got a lot of possible hooks coded in, in case you have sets with different weapons and such.
Code
function get_current_melee_set()
	local meleeSet = sets.engaged

if state.CombatForm and meleeSet[state.CombatForm] then
		meleeSet = meleeSet[state.CombatForm]
	end

if state.CombatWeapon and meleeSet[state.CombatWeapon] then
		meleeSet = meleeSet[state.CombatWeapon]
	end

if meleeSet[state.OffenseMode] then
		meleeSet = meleeSet[state.OffenseMode]
	end

if meleeSet[state.DefenseMode] then
		meleeSet = meleeSet[state.DefenseMode]
	end

for _,group in ipairs(classes.CustomMeleeGroups) do
		if meleeSet[group] then
			meleeSet = meleeSet[group]
		end
	end

meleeSet = apply_defense(meleeSet)
	meleeSet = apply_kiting(meleeSet)

if customize_melee_set then
		meleeSet = customize_melee_set(meleeSet)
	end

return meleeSet
end
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2014-05-15 14:31:39  
Asura.Aikchan said: »

looks like you haven't even started with that... or just stopped @ that first statement... if you ever made a Spellcast .xml then you can do a Gearswap .lua, if you got your SC premade, go to BG and get a premade one too.

This is far from true.. I started spellcast by grabbing premade and eventually was able to write my own from scratch. I tried the same w/ Motes THF lua and can't get it to do pretty much anything I want it to. It doesn't help that theres 5 files that somehow all interact with the THF lua I am trying to learn so I have no idea what is going on... Glad spellcast works well enough for now until I can wrap my head around GS
 Fenrir.Divinian
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2014-05-15 14:34:06  

I hadn't looked at more as I am at work and was just perusing. I will be delving deeper when I get home, so I figured I would throw it out there. I created all my .xmls myself by looking at others' and I think that is what I will end up doing. I will check the premade stuff, but have always been leary of it...given the personal nature of a spellcast.
 Siren.Kenesu
サーバ: Siren
user: iKhaos
By Siren.Kenesu 2014-05-15 14:38:31  
Lakshmi.Eyrhika said: »

This is far from true.. I started spellcast by grabbing premade and eventually was able to write my own from scratch. I tried the same w/ Motes THF lua and can't get it to do pretty much anything I want it to. It doesn't help that theres 5 files that somehow all interact with the THF lua I am trying to learn so I have no idea what is going on... Glad spellcast works well enough for now until I can wrap my head around GS

I'm on the same page as you man.
 Asura.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2014-05-15 14:45:46  
I can't even get my gearsets to swap correctly - if I equip PDT or MDT gear, it won't swap back to tp gear no matter what I do, and I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. And that's not the only issue I've run into which I don't understand and can't find a solution to. Spellcast was easier because when I first started using it, I had lots of friends to ask for help. Those of my friends that still play... - I don't think a single one of them is using GearSwap. Sad and frustrated now :(
[+]
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-05-15 14:57:21  
If you are using one of Motenten's files, read the documentation. If you made your own file, pastebin it.
 Sylph.Jrpg
サーバ: Sylph
user: ohnogc
By Sylph.Jrpg 2014-05-15 14:58:53  
I only came back recently, and I thought I'd stick by spellcast, since why fix what isn't broken? Well now that it is broken, or deprecated at least, there's some things I'd like to know how to do that may or may not get complicated quickly.

I can figure out how to use Motenten's GS for the most part, but there's some situational things I'd like to include. Example: equipping Fucho-no-Obi at <50% MP, or even a Medicine Earring at <25% HP. The complicated part: I'd want Fucho-no-Obi to override my regular idle set, but not my PDT/MDT set; Medicine Earring to override everything. With exceptions like those, I get pretty intimidated as far as what to code.

Although this may not be the best place to ask obviously..
[+]
 Fenrir.Motenten
VIP
user: Motenten
By Fenrir.Motenten 2014-05-15 15:25:30  
Divinian said:

I've changed this to point to Arcon's lua tutorial. It covers the basic ideas I was referring to.

Divinian said:

If you've used Spellcast, you pretty much should already know all the conceptual stuff that I expect you to be aware of for my tutorial. The only difference is syntax. For example, with respect to 'assignment':

Spellcast way of creating and changing a variable:
Code
    <var name="weapon">Thief's Knife</var>
    <var cmd="set weapon Thokcha" />

Lua way of creating and changing a variable:
Code
    weapon = "Thief's Knife"
    weapon = "Thokcha"

As long as you understand what it means to have a named word that refers to another piece of information, that's all that I expect. The exact syntax is different, but the underlying idea is the same.

Eyrhika said:
This is far from true.. I started spellcast by grabbing premade and eventually was able to write my own from scratch. I tried the same w/ Motes THF lua and can't get it to do pretty much anything I want it to. It doesn't help that theres 5 files that somehow all interact with the THF lua I am trying to learn so I have no idea what is going on...

While I understand that this may be a bit optimistic, with my includes, the only thing that you should 'need' to understand at the start is how to fill in the gear you want to use in the gear sets. The second thing you'd need after that is to understand that the vast majority of what you'd want to do can be done by simply creating the appropriate gear set. Messing with the rules in the code is much later in the order of things to worry about.

I suppose I should work on a better writeup of the documentation for my own lua files, that I can put on the github repository, rather than depend on the .txt file that's in the repository itself. Might be easier for people to find and work with. (Note: this is separate from the general GearSwap documentation.)
First Page 2